Sign in to follow this  
CanadaOne

Edit fast tank battle missions?

That's pretty much it.

Is there a way to edit the included fast tank battle missions? Be nice to throw some of the new tanks in there to replace some of the older AI ones.

Thanks.

I dont think so. I've done the clearing Stalingrad, Grayda  Defence and Capture Seversk. I cant find the fast tank files to open. 

• Upvote 1

You could try the procedure in "Edit the Mission That You Just Played", on pg. 48 of the editor manual.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Too bad. Be nice to have some Tigers in there.

21 minutes ago, JimTM said:

You could try the procedure in "Edit the Mission That You Just Played", on pg. 48 of the editor manual.

Good call on that, but it crashes the editor every time. says "intergrity check failed" and I get this:

Object(76:) >> no model file! : graphics\vehicles\GAZ-M\GAZ-M.mgm
Object(79:) >> no model file! : graphics\vehicles\ZIS5\ZIS5.mgm
Object(82:) >> no model file! : graphics\vehicles\ZIS5\ZIS5.mgm
Object(85:) >> no model file! : graphics\vehicles\ZIS5\ZIS5.mgm
Object(88:) >> no model file! : graphics\vehicles\ZIS5\ZIS5.mgm
Object(91:) >> no model file! : graphics\vehicles\ZIS5\ZIS5.mgm
Object(94:) >> no model file! : graphics\vehicles\ZIS5\ZIS5.mgm

Edited by CanadaOne

Posted (edited)

Hmmm, maybe the mission is protected and you're seeing a side effect.

Edited by JimTM

1 minute ago, JimTM said:

Hmmm, maybe the mission is locked and you're seeing a side effect.

Maybe, but in the manual it says you can edit a QMB or built in mission.

The fast tank battle missions crashed the editor. I'll try a QMB.

1 minute ago, CanadaOne said:

Maybe, but in the manual it says you can edit a QMB or built in mission.

The fast tank battle missions crashed the editor. I'll try a QMB.

The author doesn't know what he's talking about. :)

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, JimTM said:

If you mean me, you are correct.

But it worked with the QMB, sort of. I got into the mission and was able to change the tanks to Tigers, but I didn't do the last step in the manual about changing the file name or something like that, I simple saved the changes, and maybe that can't happen to a QMB mission. Maybe it's QMB properties are locked, but can be saved as a different mission in a secondary place.

Oh, the point being that the Tigers didn't up.

Edited by CanadaOne
  • Upvote 1

I think the stock missions are 'protected' in some way.  Can you select the MSNBIN file from one of the fast tank battle missions?  If so you could try re-saving that in the editor as it should then generate another .mission file which could then be edited in the mission editor?*

*Be aware I might be talking out of my backside but we've recovered missions this way before:) 

What hocus pocus do you have to work to get a bin file to generated a mission?

13 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

See the bottom of pg. 48 in the manual but I'm not sure it will work in this case.

I'll take a look. But just being able to save a QMB mission and change the tanks to Tigers is a good start. It's beyond my mental snack bracket to make a train work, so having one already there and some Tigers thrown in will spruce things up. Kind of a drag in some QMB missions when you're loaded for tank bustin' in an IL2 with the 37s and the QMB feeds you Marders. :rolleyes:

I 'spose I could change the vehicle convoys around too to make them more interesting.

Might be fun.

2 hours ago, JimTM said:

Ah... a sliver of previously undisclosed truth finds its' way into the light.  😀

• Haha 3

Hmmm, having a brain fart on some level.

The QMB mission loaded in the editor even though it said the textures for the German sedan were missing, as was the 3D model in the mission, so I changed the sedan to an APC, the APC showed up, the mission passed integrity, saved under a new name into missions, 9 files show up on the mission file, but the mission doesn't show up in the mission list in the game.

I'll keep trying.

Nice to liven up the vehicle convoys by adding a tank and some AAA. Just have to find out what step I'm missing or screwing up

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Aha....it all comes back to me now.  Check this out;

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/13240-opening-downloaded-missions-in-the-me/

Perhaps it might help:salute:

Oh yeah, while I remember - reference the short comings of the QMB?  Have you seen this?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

...the mission passed integrity, saved under a new name into missions, 9 files show up on the mission file, but the mission doesn't show up in the mission list in the game.

See "Cannot Find a Mission in the IL-2 Sturmovik Singleplayer Missions List" on pg. 183 of the editor manual.

35 minutes ago, JimTM said:

See "Cannot Find a Mission in the IL-2 Sturmovik Singleplayer Missions List" on pg. 183 of the editor manual.

I'll look. Thank you.

And I'll patiently await you yelling "READ THE ********** MANUAL!!!" at me after another post or two. :sorry:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I'll look. Thank you.

And I'll patiently await you yelling "READ THE ********** MANUAL!!!" at me after another post or two. :sorry:

Nothing of the sort! "Consult the ********** manual" was what I would have written if I were inclined to write such a thing.

• Haha 1

Finally, it works. :clapping:

I'm sure I went about this back asswards and either missed a step or took two too many, but it seems to edit a QMB mission I had to save the QMB _gen mission under a different name without having made any changes to it at all, and then edit that mission.

Once done, I changed the three standard tanks you get in the QMB to two Tigers and a flak APC, added a bunch of 88s, and you get a much more interesting mission without having to set up all the vehicle logic. After dinner going to play with the vehicle convoys and change a few trucks to tanks and AAA vehicles. That should spice it up.

• Upvote 1