Jaegermeister

Achtung Jabos! P47 Scripted Campaign

Posted (edited)

I rewrote my "Hell Hawks" campaign from IL2 Forgotten Battles in IL2 Battle of Bodenplatte. As you all know, we are in early release so the Western Europe map is not available yet. In the mean time, I have used the Velikie Luki winter map as a substitute. I am fairly certain that this Scripted Campaign will no longer run correctly when we get the final release of Battle of Bodenplatte but it does for now.

Update... v2.0

I have reposted the .zip download on Mediafire with an updated file:

It no longer requires Battle of Kuban to run the campaign, only Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Bodenplatte.

Eliminated the landing error in mission #4 if you park in the north ramp area.

Repaired an error in mission #12 that may start you off the runway.

Corrected object locations in various missions that snapped to wrong location while grouping in mission editor.

I am retesting missions to make sure they are all good now but if anyone finds more issues after reinstalling the campaign from the link below, please post here.

Campaign.png

Readme file;

This 14 mission scripted campaign is a collection of practice missions I created for myself for the P-47 Thunderbolt while Operation Bodenplatte is in early release stage. It is played on the Velekai Luki winter map, so it requires Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Bodenplatte to run. 

I have not translated to languages other than English. The time frame, weather and types of missions are based on historical events, but due to map limitations and weather controls, they do not exactly duplicate historical events during the Battle of the Bulge. These missions would also be an overview of those conducted by various squadrons, not just one. 

Unzip mission files to your desktop and place the entire Achtung_Jabos folder in your IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles/data/Campaigns folder. 

If you would like to use included custom skins made by me for this campaign, drop the P47 skin files without the directory folder in your IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles/data/graphics/skins/P47D28 folder and follow the briefing prompts to select your own skin.

I know many people fly without the HUD enabled, but I have included a number of subtitle messages that are useful and informative if you wish to use them.

I will remove and update this campaign when the Battle of Bodenplatte expansion is released and has the correct maps and tools, so fly it while you can. Enjoy!

Here is a link to the updated .zip file on Mediafire;

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qah88vyr3n40bmy/Achtung_Jabos.zip/file

Link to .zip file on Mission 4 Today

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads4&file=details&id=339

It is optimized for flying in VR with a mid range computer, specs are below in my signature.

01.png

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 15

Thanks for this Campaign @Jaegermeister I'm only half way through, but loving it so far!

I rarely fly the P47, (until now that is :) ) so it's really fun getting to know what the heavy old girl can do.

Kind Regards,

MDS1

Your welcome, glad you like it. I am a fan of the Jug too. Don't forget about the flaps in a dogfight and you can turn with anything!

Nice to see a P-47 campaign, thanks!

Also I'm pretty sure that you don't need to own a specific BoX if you want to add just AI planes from that expansions. 

Well if that’s the case, this may run with just BoS and BoB. Maybe someone will verify that.

Thanks Jaegermeister for the 47 campaign.  Just finished mission 3 and am having fun with your campaign.  Flying the 47 low and loaded is a challenge but doable, just don't try to destroy more ground targets then the mission calls for and you will survive,  I know because I tried that on the first mission and because of low visibility I came too fast and low ops. :wacko:

Thanks Jaegermeister for the Campaign, especially for your comments regards the flaps in the follow-up!  I know I'll love learning to fly this bird after spending so long trying to master the 109.  Also thanks for the headsup, Taxman. Fast and too low being one of my specialties in addition to lawn-darting the 109 chasing migs, I'll keep this in mind. Also cool to see someone from the local PNW area.

I’m glad you guys are enjoying it. Making it home alive is always your primary goal in my book, but if you are careful and accurate with your payload, you should be able to take out multiple targets on many of the missions. Just be careful about sticking around the target areas too long because once the flak gets warmed up it can be trouble. Using up all your ammo may have other unintended consequences as well.

If you survive being shot down, you should have a 50% to 75% chance of escaping and making it home, it just depends on where exactly you wind up...

Hi Jaegermeister

thank you very much for your campaign - very well done! Top notch from the 1st mission. Great work, mate.

Cheerio

Hi Jaegermeister,

Further to Reckoner's suggestion, sadly your campaign does not run without the Kuban package installed.  I have BoS, BoM and BoBP but not Kuban yet, and having installed your campaign there's a big fat padlock on it which, when clicked, invites me to proceed to purchase BoK!  I'm sure I'll probably do that before too long, but not planning to at present.  Since you don't make use of the Kuban map in the campaign I presume it's just some of the AI planes from the Kuban module which are missing - perhaps they can be replaced by planes available in the other 3 modules?

Mike

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Hi Jaegermeister

thank you very much for your campaign - very well done! Top notch from the 1st mission. Great work, mate.

Cheerio

Thanks for the comments, that’s what makes it worthwhile to post!

3 hours ago, Mike2945 said:

Hi Jaegermeister,

Further to Reckoner's suggestion, sadly your campaign does not run without the Kuban package installed. 

Mike

There is a line in the campaign configuration file referred to as "tows". BoS is 1, BoM is 2, BoK is 3 and I presume BoBp will be 4 but it is not yet since it's still in early release. I included BoK in the tows assuming it was necessary. If you want to edit the "info" file in your Achtung_Jabos campaign folder it may work. All you have to do is open the info file in notepad or wordpad and on the line where it says "&tows=1,3"  delete the 3 and save it. See if that works.  

image.gif

Edited by Jaegermeister

Muchos grassy arse for the campaign as I quite like der juggen mit der wingthings.

Thank you

I will certainly preorder BoBP To play this campaign :)

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, pilotpierre said:

Muchos grassy arse for the campaign as I quite like der juggen mit der wingthings.

de nada senor pierre. I wish you the best of luck dropping explodey thingies on the heads of the panzerkorps

Edited by Jaegermeister

Hello everyone,

Eureka - Jaegermeister's suggestion in the post above works - I've just flown Mission 1! 

If you don't yet possess BoK but want to install and play what looks like an excellent campaign, just follow his instructions above: delete the '3' from the entry in the Info file '&tows = 1,3' to '&tows = 1' and bingo!  Presumably if you don't have BoS but just have BoM then presumably inserting '2' instead of '1,3' should also work.

Many thanks JM - looking forward to flying all the missions!

Mike

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mike2945 said:

Presumably if you don't have BoS but just have BoM then presumably inserting '2' instead of '1,3' should also work.

I believe the Velikie Luki map was released as a patch for Battle of Stalingrad. That would mean BoM will not provide the correct map and the statement above is incorrect.

It does appear that all the non-collector aircraft are available to fly with the base purchase of BoS and 1 add on, so I will delete the "3" from tows, repack the file, and revise the notes to reflect only BoS and BoBP being necessary to run this campaign. I will have to test that first but it looks like Mike2945 has already volunteered for that. Thanks Mike!  Let us know if you have any issues when you run into enemy aircraft (which might happen).

edit... on 2nd thought, just let me know if you don't run into enemy aircraft after a few missions and I will know there is an issue

another edit... I just did some testing and the aircraft from add ons you do not own are available as ai. Setting any not included with your purchased expansions as player plane results in a blank screen lock on mission loading. Not surprising, but now I know.

Edited by Jaegermeister

I'm having a problem finishing mission 4.  Our flight attacks the vehicles that are near the air field and after getting the attack success and ordered back, we head back.  After landing first, my flight leader did not land first, I sit parked engine off, no mission success.  My other 3 wing men land taxi shut down and still no mission success.  So is there something I'm missing?

BTW I flew the mission twice. 

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Taxman said:

I'm having a problem finishing mission 4.  Our flight attacks the vehicles that are near the air field and after getting the attack success and ordered back, we head back.  After landing first, my flight leader did not land first, I sit parked engine off, no mission success.  My other 3 wing men land taxi shut down and still no mission success.  So is there something I'm missing?

BTW I flew the mission twice. 

Thanks

Hey Taxman, I just DL’ed the zip file, unpacked the mission and ran it as a single mission. I took off, dropped my payload and landed. I got mission success as intended. Perhaps you did not come to a complete stop or slow down enough after landing. You don’t have to fly the whole mission over. Just take off, make a circuit and land. Stop in the middle of the runway and then you can proceed to taxi. Same criterion for all missions. Make it home safe and you move on. If you crash near the field and survive, you should get mission success but that’s random and not guaranteed.

29 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

Hey Taxman, I just DL’ed the zip file, unpacked the mission and ran it as a single mission. I took off, dropped my payload and landed. I got mission success as intended. Perhaps you did not come to a complete stop or slow down enough after landing. You don’t have to fly the whole mission over. Just take off, make a circuit and land. Stop in the middle of the runway and then you can proceed to taxi. Same criterion for all missions. Make it home safe and you move on. If you crash near the field and survive, you should get mission success but that’s random and not guaranteed.

That's what I did.  I stopped, engine off, cantope open and just waited as the others landed and taxied their engines stopped  then they just disappeared.  I did this on auto pilot after we where cleared to leave the attack area, I'm wondering if I should have manually landed?.  Also the message we received was "secondary target completed" but, as I said we also received the message to return to home base.  There was no "Primary target completed" message.  

Thanks again.

As i mentioned, your primary goal is to make it back to your airfield alive. Try what I suggested. Take off, go around and land. You can fly the whole mission on autopilot if you want but you may not get credit for mission goals. Try landing yourself and see if that helps.

Thank you very much. Do you know how can I do for veiwing the breifings ? I have a french version of BOX :)

Thank you again.

15 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

As i mentioned, your primary goal is to make it back to your airfield alive. Try what I suggested. Take off, go around and land. You can fly the whole mission on autopilot if you want but you may not get credit for mission goals. Try landing yourself and see if that helps.

Ok thanks.  I just take off do a go around and land and see what happens.  I'll be able to fly around 7pm pst and then  give a report.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, UF_Viking said:

Thank you very much. Do you know how can I do for veiwing the breifings ? I have a french version of BOX :)

Thank you again.

I did not include text files for other languages since I did not translate. Since you appear to be fluent in English, If you would like to view in English in your French version you could open each mission in the editor which will create a french text file. It will it will then display the briefing in English. If you would like to translate it to French, I will be happy to include it in the download. 😁

3 hours ago, Taxman said:

Ok thanks.  I just take off do a go around and land and see what happens.  I'll be able to fly around 7pm pst and then  give a report.

I'm sure you will do fine. Landing is my favorite part!

Edited by Jaegermeister

Hi Jaegermeister, on mission 4 I just took off did a go around and landed.  I taxied to a parking area and shut the engine down opened the canopy waited for a few minutes still did not get a mission complete.  All of this was done manually what I did not do is a fly by of the air field.  What I am going to do is re download your campaign and replace the mission 4 files, just to see if some how it was corrupted during the first d/l.

Ok flew mission 4 again after re d/ling  the campaign and replacing the mission 4 files.  Same result.  I just deleted mission 4 from the campaign and flew mission 5 with no problems.  I wonder what would happen if I put mission 4 back in and flew it again?  worst case is that I get no credit for ground targets destroyed, but I can continue the campaign.  I'll try tomorrow if I have time. 

Jagermeister,

I'm having the same problem as Taxman. I can't move on past mission 4. Even after landing successfully. 

Posted (edited)

I found the problem with mission 4. At some point I moved the landing mission goal where it does not cover the north end of the runway and the north parking area. I will adjust it and check the other missions. In the mean time, all you have to do is come to a complete stop before you get more than 3/4 of the way down the runway on landing

Edited by Jaegermeister
Found error in mission

Thanks Jaegermeister, I will try mission 4 again, even knowing that I can continue I hope:unsure:.

Yes, just stop as soon as you land. It will work. I am checking the rest of the missions now

I re flew mission 4 completed the mission landed stopped on the runway and got mission complete.  Flew missions 5 and 6 with no issues.  Again thanks for looking into the mission 4 problem.  So far I am enjoying your campaign.:salute:.

I have updated the download with new files to fix the landing goal error in mission 4. I also fixed some errors in mission 12 with incorrect object placement,

I updated the info file so the campaign does not need Battle of Kuban to run.

Thanks for the input guys, keep posting if you run into any more issues after updating your campaign file from the link above.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Great Campaign! The P-47 is a masterpiece of a groundpounder. Mission 1 is perfect to create the setting. Can´t wait to fly CAS with Hell Hawks on the BoBP map. Thanks for this gem! And PROST! from someone who was born not far away from Wolfenbuettel where Jaegermeister is actually produced.

Edited by sevenless

I’m glad 

12 hours ago, sevenless said:

And PROST! from someone who was born not far away from Wolfenbuettel where Jaegermeister is actually produced.

Glad you are liking it so far. I’ll drink a shot of Jagermeister in your honor the next time I fly a mission. 🤪

Just finished your great campaign.  A few rough spots on my part but I made it.  A hint for serving some of missions try and stay away from the AA and AAA as flight leader you are their main target, it took me a few times to figure that out.  Thanks Jaegermeister:salute:

it seems i have are bug on mission 2 with oil system failing from 10 attempts it fails all the time and that leading to engine die. i don't know if that is intended or is something on my end

On 3/12/2019 at 10:58 PM, Taxman said:

Just finished your great campaign.  A few rough spots on my part but I made it.  A hint for serving some of missions try and stay away from the AA and AAA as flight leader you are their main target, it took me a few times to figure that out.  Thanks Jaegermeister:salute:

Glad you enjoyed it. It looks like you are the first one to report back as finished. The Flak can be rough, which is why I built in the possibilities of completing the mission even if you are shot down. Many of the pilots shot down in that area that survived the landing made it back to base.

11 hours ago, Papa_Bear said:

it seems i have are bug on mission 2 with oil system failing from 10 attempts it fails all the time and that leading to engine die. i don't know if that is intended or is something on my end

I never had that happen and this is the first report I have seen of that particular issue. I did not do anything to prompt that to happen. You can turn off random engine failures in your settings screen so you can move on.