IL2 Great Battles Easy Mission Generator

10 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

It started out differently, but nowadays the only difference is: level bombing vs dive (low alt) bombing. Perhaps I should make it just one scenario with option to ' level'  bomb

Yes, that would make a lot of sense! Im always a fan of keeping things as clean as possible :)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

I did not consider it a complaint 😊, just trying to understand. In short, when you look at the map image you would like to be able to select any of the airfields shown there, not just the three the tool has a button for, correct?
The good thing is that with this new version that is now possible, as there is no limit of 3 anymore, but it takes time to add all the airfields to the maps. I have already started by adding some more to Arras, Stalingrad and Kuban.

Yes, you are correct that, when looking at the map, I’d like to be able to select any of the airfields not just the three the tool has a button for. I didn’t know if it was possible. I also understand that it must take a great deal of time to add them. I appreciate your efforts to accommodate all requests by the entire forum family.  Thank you, again, for your fantastic generator and the patience in dealing with our requests. 
I’ll be patient also in waiting for your changes. Thanks again. 

• Like 2

When I open the EMG the right side of the interface is cut off.  This happens no matter what map I open.

See below.

I looked through the files and found no way to change the size of the program on desktop.

Am I doing something wrong?  If I can resize it, how and where?

Other than that I am really enjoying the new features.

EMG 2 Small.jpg

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Beebop said:

When I open the EMG the right side of the interface is cut off.  This happens no matter what map I open.

See below.

I looked through the files and found no way to change the size of the program on desktop.

Am I doing something wrong?  If I can resize it, how and where?

Other than that I am really enjoying the new features.

EMG 2 Small.jpg

Looks like I have set a maximum window size? Weird. I'll check that.

• Thanks 2

As far as more available airfields goes, I have been drooling at the prospect of having the northern most airfields on the east side of the Volga usable as Luftwaffe bases, so I could build a "North Africa" scenario on the summer Stalingrad map, as that is some fairly convincing desert terrain.  But just being able to have them at all would be great too.

• Like 1

Hi Syn_Vader,

This tool really is one of my favorite things in IL-2! Is there a way to edit the aircraft list to include late 109 models as a possible attacker aircraft? I know it's kind of silly I like to throw the odd jabo mission in even in late war scenarios for some variety.

Thank you for this invaluable tool!

Hi! 

I'm using EMG, have been messing with it for a few days now. 
I have a problem where the mission randomly ends, last night even before I got a chance to take off, saying 'incercept objeective complete' when nothing has happened. sometimes it's halfway through a dogfight, other times, like last night, before I even take off. I'm not sure what causes this, and it doesn't seem to be very repeatable, seemingly random. 
I have tried setting the 'amount'  of blue and red section on each team anywhere from 3 to 10, but nothing seems to change. I have even enabled 'finish mission when landed' in the server settings, nothing changes. 

Any help is appreciated, really liking EMG other than this strange-ness. 

21 hours ago, Sergeikat said:

Hi! 

I have a problem where the mission randomly ends, last night even before I got a chance to take off, saying 'incercept objeective complete' when nothing has happened. sometimes it's halfway through a dogfight, other times, like last night, before I even take off. I'm not sure what causes this, and it doesn't seem to be very repeatable, seemingly random. 
I have tried setting the 'amount'  of blue and red section on each team anywhere from 3 to 10, but nothing seems to change. I have even enabled 'finish mission when landed' in the server settings, nothing changes. 

Very strange, never happened. Are you sure you are the protagonist of the mission?

22 hours ago, Sergeikat said:

Hi! 

For ‘Intercept’ the mission success is when > 50% of blue flight is destroyed. I think for Dogfight MP this could be a little bugged, because there is no blue flight, only spawned players. 
I’ll look into the code, but the solution here is in the server settings. In your Dogfight server settings make sure the timer for when mission success is increased to 30 mins or so it doesn’t immediately finishes the mission.

2 hours ago, Mtnbiker1998 said:

Will the new exploding ammo trucks be added automatically to missions, or will the Generator need to be updated to include them?

Will be in next release. I'll mix them in with the ambient vehicles and the vehicle columns as objective.

• Thanks 3
On 2/5/2021 at 4:54 PM, percydanvers said:

Hi Syn_Vader,

This tool really is one of my favorite things in IL-2! Is there a way to edit the aircraft list to include late 109 models as a possible attacker aircraft? I know it's kind of silly I like to throw the odd jabo mission in even in late war scenarios for some variety.

Thank you for this invaluable tool!

Im wondering the same. It used to be possible to edit the planelist in the old versions using the config file. Now i cant find that option anymore.

2 hours ago, Sandmarken said:

Im wondering the same. It used to be possible to edit the planelist in the old versions using the config file. Now i cant find that option anymore.

That is in preparation for a tab in the UI where you can manage your own planeset. Now just need to find the time to implement it 😊

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

That is in preparation for a tab in the UI where you can manage your own planeset. Now just need to find the time to implement it 😊

Oh cool i have been waiting for that since you first released the tool 😄😄

Edited by Sandmarken

Just wondering, if it is possible to use "enemy" planes on plane sets? FinnIsh airforces did have Russian captured planes and Bombers and it would be also cool to use some weird settings for just fun.

Like in old uberdemons mission generator for il2 1946.

Anyways. EMG is really cool for us, who can't use mission editor...also for tanks.. Keep up the good work!

kapteeni

I think you should be able to. I do that all the time in the ME for Finnish missions, use the G2/G6 as "Friendly".  The game looks at the coalition set for the plane, not the plane type.

9 minutes ago, Beebop said:

I think you should be able to. I do that all the time in the ME for Finnish missions, use the G2/G6 as "Friendly".  The game looks at the coalition set for the plane, not the plane type.

Hi!

Ido that too. But. ATM. I can't choose other than hurricane and l-16 (thanks to Syn).I also want to use U-2 as a finnish biplane for example. Or..can i?

3 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Sneak peek. Decided not to release yet, want to add some more stuff to v45:

image.thumb.png.cd86c97a3bdad245105280af6cc11eff.png

Super cool. And... ok, this might be too much, but perhaps order them on year of introduction rather than by first letter? Mixing WW1 and WW2 planes doesn't really help, and it would be useful to be able to match up planes quickly (to be honest, I don't always keeps straight which planes are better, especially with all the Russian variants).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I have just released version 45! Many thanks to Hamaha15 who let me use his work in my Arras template. No-mans land looks much better now!

See here: 

Version 45 release notes:
-Added many airfields to: Rhineland, Kuban, Moscow, Stalingrad, Velikieluki and Channel maps
-Updated the Arras scenery with scenery from Hamaha15. Many villages in no-mans land and churches to existing towns have been added. 
-Added a new tab 'Planesets' where you can create your own custom planeset. Select 'Custom planeset' in the scenario to enable this. Only one custom planeset is currently supported; it is saved in a separate file 'planes_custom.json'
-Ambient AI flights plane types will now also be selected from the custom planeset(!)
-Added ammo trucks to the vehicle columns
-Added tooltips to some of the labels/buttons in the UI

-Main window is fully resizable
-'Save Mission' renamed to 'Save Config'
-Fixed a bug where intercept objective completed icon would show up in incorrect location

Download here: https://sites.google.com/view/il2-great-battles-emg/

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

This is an amazing release. I am having an incredible time playing around with the planesets, flying Rhineland missions on the kuban map, using eastern front planesets on the Rhineland map... the possibilities are endless!

Note you should be able to use JSGME to organise multiple custom plane json files. eg attached. Just have to remember to deactivate/activate the desired custom plane set before using EMG. The example below assumes that you have the EMG folder within the main IL2 folder and that you left the folder name as EasyMissionGenerator_v45. 

To make the custom plane set "mods" a bit more future proof I would probably make the EMG folder something more generic like just EasyMissionGenerator and manage the versions yourself when you update. 

Nth Africa Custom Plane set.zip

1 hour ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Note you should be able to use JSGME to organise multiple custom plane json files. eg attached. Just have to remember to deactivate/activate the desired custom plane set before using EMG. The example below assumes that you have the EMG folder within the main IL2 folder and that you left the folder name as EasyMissionGenerator_v45. 

To make the custom plane set "mods" a bit more future proof I would probably make the EMG folder something more generic like just EasyMissionGenerator and manage the versions yourself when you update. 

Nth Africa Custom Plane set.zip 901 B · 1 download

That is a nice intermediate solution. I will try to add support for multiple planesets/files in a future release. This means I have to add some file mgt features: load, save as, delete (?)...

• Like 2

Honest opinion with nothing but respect for what you have achieved - for a lot of people going into the editor is a real turn off. I don't mind it myself for easy things like skins, loadouts but it is clunky and a barrier. Updating the UI and the process flows in the editor should, in my opinion, be a focus item for the devs when Normandy has been released. At the moment the editor reminds me of the system where I work and how it looks after a decade of management putting off spending money on how it presents to the user. It works ok and you can do a lot with it but it really makes things more difficult than it needs to be.

The things that come to mind for me building co-op missions for group use via EMG and currently needing the editor are:

• It'd be nice to be able to have a text entry area so you could personalise the mission briefing 
  • It'd be nice to be able to set the mods/loadouts for aircraft even if you took the approach that each aircraft in a flight had identical setups
  • It'd be nice to be able to better set skins somehow. Currently I tend to leave things default and then check everything afterwards in the editor because the internal editor name displayed in EMG doesn't have a frame of reference without digging out skins.tab.eng and checking things in notepad++ (this is also a problem for the editor unless there is a trick more experienced people use to get around it). I almost feel the need to create something like a cheat sheet showing a pic and the internal name. This item may get easier to implement for you if the devs get the new procedural fuselage side numbers working and released as more skins will be generic with generated side numbers.

Plane set management would be nice to have definitely but I see the above as more critical since the JSGME method will serve as a solution for a fairly long time. I'm guessing you would have already thought of all these points and more however and it is definitely no-one but you calling the shots as to how you develop EMG. I've no idea how hard any of the points above would be to develop.

Thank you for this tool Vander, it really helps people get missions generated quickly without having to learn the editor and this is a big positive especially for people just starting out and wanting to be able to create good quality missions right from the start. Everyone I have ever recommended EMG to or demonstrated it to have uniformly loved it especially if they have started trying to learn the editor right before seeing EMG.

Best wishes

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, No457_Stonehouse said:

Honest opinion with nothing but respect for what you have achieved - for a lot of people going into the editor is a real turn off. I don't mind it myself for easy things like skins, loadouts but it is clunky and a barrier. Updating the UI and the process flows in the editor should, in my opinion, be a focus item for the devs when Normandy has been released. At the moment the editor reminds me of the system where I work and how it looks after a decade of management putting off spending money on how it presents to the user. It works ok and you can do a lot with it but it really makes things more difficult than it needs to be.

The things that come to mind for me building co-op missions for group use via EMG and currently needing the editor are:

• It'd be nice to be able to have a text entry area so you could personalise the mission briefing 
  • It'd be nice to be able to set the mods/loadouts for aircraft even if you took the approach that each aircraft in a flight had identical setups
  • It'd be nice to be able to better set skins somehow. Currently I tend to leave things default and then check everything afterwards in the editor because the internal editor name displayed in EMG doesn't have a frame of reference without digging out skins.tab.eng and checking things in notepad++ (this is also a problem for the editor unless there is a trick more experienced people use to get around it). I almost feel the need to create something like a cheat sheet showing a pic and the internal name. This item may get easier to implement for you if the devs get the new procedural fuselage side numbers working and released as more skins will be generic with generated side numbers.

Plane set management would be nice to have definitely but I see the above as more critical since the JSGME method will serve as a solution for a fairly long time. I'm guessing you would have already thought of all these points and more however and it is definitely no-one but you calling the shots as to how you develop EMG. I've no idea how hard any of the points above would be to develop.

Thank you for this tool Vander, it really helps people get missions generated quickly without having to learn the editor and this is a big positive especially for people just starting out and wanting to be able to create good quality missions right from the start. Everyone I have ever recommended EMG to or demonstrated it to have uniformly loved it especially if they have started trying to learn the editor right before seeing EMG.

Best wishes

Thanks for your feedback, this is good stuff I can use. Although I am also a user of my own tool (just for quick missions, but also for a weekly squad event) it really helps to have others give their perspective. About your points:

• Text entry for mission briefing. Good idea and should be pretty easy to implement. I'm guessing you would want to change/add to the 'Situation' and 'Your orders' part? And keep the date/time/weather part?
  • Adding a mod/loadout option isn't hard, but it's -just as with skins- there is no data definition available. So having a line where you can enter loadout = 16 and mod = 10101001 is not helping much :).  I need to find that first, perhaps it's somewhere in a .GTP file as part of a Plane definition and I can maintain a reference list.
  • Same as above. Ideally you would want to see a preview. However, the default ones are stored inside a GTP file somewhere and for custom skins there isn't one.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Thanks for your feedback, this is good stuff I can use. Although I am also a user of my own tool (just for quick missions, but also for a weekly squad event) it really helps to have others give their perspective. About your points:

• Text entry for mission briefing. Good idea and should be pretty easy to implement. I'm guessing you would want to change/add to the 'Situation' and 'Your orders' part? And keep the date/time/weather part?
  • Adding a mod/loadout option isn't hard, but it's -just as with skins- there is no data definition available. So having a line where you can enter loadout = 16 and mod = 10101001 is not helping much :).  I need to find that first, perhaps it's somewhere in a .GTP file as part of a Plane definition and I can maintain a reference list.
  • Same as above. Ideally you would want to see a preview. However, the default ones are stored inside a GTP file somewhere and for custom skins there isn't one.

Yes correct that's what I was thinking of for the mission briefing. Date/time and weather is already covered as far as I am aware.

On the skins and loadout - Understood. I wasn't aware the info was inaccessible at present and that's the kind of thing I meant when I said I didn't know the effort involved. Although this is more than just effort but a blocker due to not enough information.  

Love all the updates this tool has gotten over time, the new map and addition of dogfight missions is awesome! Is it possible though to set the dogfight missions to not end as soon as the objective is completed? I mainly use it for coop with respawn for some of our newer pilots and it works flawlessly, we'd just like to be able to rtb and land after completing the objectives.

I've tried adjusting the timer in the server options, but it doesn't seem to do anything. is there a timer built into the mission thats overriding the server settings? I've never quite figured out how to do much in the full mission builder.

EDIT: figured it out, setting the numbers too high resets them to 1. Don't just hold down the 9 key until you get bored, lol.

Edited by Mtnbiker1998
10 hours ago, Mtnbiker1998 said:

Love all the updates this tool has gotten over time, the new map and addition of dogfight missions is awesome! Is it possible though to set the dogfight missions to not end as soon as the objective is completed? I mainly use it for coop with respawn for some of our newer pilots and it works flawlessly, we'd just like to be able to rtb and land after completing the objectives.

I've tried adjusting the timer in the server options, but it doesn't seem to do anything. is there a timer built into the mission thats overriding the server settings? I've never quite figured out how to do much in the full mission builder.

EDIT: figured it out, setting the numbers too high resets them to 1. Don't just hold down the 9 key until you get bored, lol.

I have exactly the same problem! We like to just spawn a couple of times and fight until everything is dead, but nowadays the mission timer prevents that. What exactly did you do to fix it?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, blue_max said:

I have exactly the same problem! We like to just spawn a couple of times and fight until everything is dead, but nowadays the mission timer prevents that. What exactly did you do to fix it?

Change this setting when you host from your own machine:

image.thumb.png.8fce77f848155955d2e5553843ebe691.png

Or this one in the .sds file if you host from a dedicated machine:

image.thumb.png.abf134a68a0a1008df2573305ea0fa5f.png

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello @SYN_Vander,

I'm so happy that you have created this tool. It's awesome and so much better then the standard QMB. That's no offense to devs but the freedom you offer in scenario's is so much better!

Since I play only in SP there is one problem that I cannot get corrected.

Whatever score I get in shooting down other planes, I never get the mission accomplished. I keep getting 'mission failed'.

I've attached two generated missions with the config file for each. In the first one (20210308) I'm blue four, in the second (20210309) I'm blue leader.

Can you please have a look and advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Regards.

20210308.zip 20210309.zip

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, hsthhsth said:

Hello @SYN_Vander,

I'm so happy that you have created this tool. It's awesome and so much better then the standard QMB. That's no offense to devs but the freedom you offer in scenario's is so much better!

Since I play only in SP there is one problem that I cannot get corrected.

Whatever score I get in shooting down other planes, I never get the mission accomplished. I keep getting 'mission failed'.

I've attached two generated missions with the config file for each. In the first one (20210308) I'm blue four, in the second (20210309) I'm blue leader.

Can you please have a look and advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Regards.

20210308.zip 327.17 kB · 0 downloads 20210309.zip 332.9 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for providing the missions. I'll have a look!

I quickly checked the first mission in the editor. It seems everything is working as it should:

-The enemy Blue flight consists of 4 Albtros DVa

-The enemy Red (escort) flight consists of 4 Albatros DVa

The total amount of planes you have to destroy is ~ 50 % of Blue flight as this is the primary flight (can be bombers). In this case it is correctly set to 2.

Both Blue and Red flight kills are being counted, if total reaches 2 it triggers the success message.

However, I now see that the faction for the Mission Objective is set to 'Axis' or 'Allied' and not to 'Central Powers' or 'Entente'. That's why the mission outcome is not a success. This will only happen for Flying Circus missions.

Thanks for finding this bug, I'll fix it in next release.

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the update, looking forward to the new version.

One question though, is there somewhere information available about these objectives? For example, how do I know that it would be 2 (enemy) planes destroyed for the mission to be successful?

24 minutes ago, hsthhsth said:

Thanks for the update, looking forward to the new version.

One question though, is there somewhere information available about these objectives? For example, how do I know that it would be 2 (enemy) planes destroyed for the mission to be successful?

I updated the Tips & Tricks page, see here (scroll down): https://sites.google.com/view/il2-great-battles-emg/tips-tricks?authuser=0