Sign in to follow this  
DarkWolf29

Need help getting a train rolling

Greetings,

I've been working on a little dogfight mission, just a practice room for learning the game really. I was adding some ground targets around the airfield where you spawn using Prangster's quick start guide for making vehicles and trains. The truck convoys I added work fine, they stay stationary until you enter the radius of the complex trigger then they start moving. The train on the other hand I cannot for the life of me get rolling. It appears in the mission with all the carriages I assigned but will not start moving. I've gone over the steps repeatedly but can't find the problem, I tried deleting my first train attempt completely and started over and still no joy.

Could one of you experienced fellows take a look and maybe spot the issue? The train is right above the airfield in 0711.

DW

DW_Test.zip

I'm at work and can't view your mission, but one question I can ask - how many carriages do you have on the train?  You can add so many carriages that the train won't move.

Try editing the train so that it only has 1 or 2 carriages and test it - see if that works.

• Thanks 1

That was one of my first thoughts, I originally had a G8 loco, G8 tender and about 10 boxcars. I reconfigured it to match Prangter's tutorial, a G8+G8T+5 pass+1 passc with the same result. I just now tried reducing it to a G8 loco + 1 G8T and 1 pass and still it remains stationary.

I suspect the issue is staring me in the face but I can't see it.

DW

Get rid of the command formation on the train.   Just have the complex trigger set to trigger a timer that is linked to the train's waypoint.

Another thing, the 3 variables in your complex trigger (scripts/countries/objects name).  If you have more than one of these entries in your complex trigger, it is an AND entry, and not a OR entry.

In other words, the way you have it set up, if a Russian JU88 enters the trigger, it will go off, which is probably never going to happen.

So if you were testing this in a German plane, that is another reason why the train would not move.

• Thanks 1

Ah ha, success. I did what you said, the Complex Trigger linked to a Timer, linked to the Waypoint with the Waypoint linked back the train. Now the train starts moving when I enter the Complex Trigger's radius.  That method appears far simpler than what I had.

This mission is just meant as a practice room, so everyone spawns in as russian and all aircraft are available.

I wonder if there is a similarly simpler way to configure truck convoys, guess I won't worry about that now since they work as is.

Thanks for the assist chaps, it is greatly appreciated.

DW

Hey, another thing I forgot to mention.

When you use a complex trigger like this, you really should have the complex trigger also linked to another short timer, that is linked to a trigger deactivate, that is linked back to the complex trigger.  That way, the first plane to enter triggers the complex trigger which triggers a waypoint, but if another plane enters the complex trigger a minute later, the waypoint the complex trigger is shooting off does not get triggered again..(hope all that makes sense...)

• Thanks 1

Also... You don't need to think about this for your practice mission, DW, but complex triggers are - I'm led to believe - a bit of a resource hog. In terms of efficiency, mission builders are usually better served by having checkzone triggers for this kind of thing. They're cheap and cheerful and you can get them to do all sorts of things in different configurations, like having a second checkzone (in the same place but with a slightly smaller radius) to deactivate things when you leave the area! There should be plenty of examples of such set-ups floating around.

• Thanks 1

Hmm, we'll I'm certainly all for doing things in a simpler way, especially if it consumes less resources.

My first attempt to use a Check Zone did not work though, the train would not move. I set the zone to 4000m like the radius I used on the complex triggers and set all the Plane Coalitions to True thinking that would mean any aircraft would trigger it. Then target linked the Check Zone to the Timer by the train. I must be doing something wrong.

In regards to deactivating the Complex Trigger, is this what you mean SittingDuck?

Deac.png

I added a second Timer set for 10 seconds. The Complex Trigger is OnObjectEntered linked to the 10 second Timer, which is Target linked to the Deactivate which is then object linked back to the Complex Trigger. That should acheive the deactivation?

DW

Yes.  

Unless you have a situation where everytime the criteria for the complex trigger is met you want a specific action to occur, you really should deactivate the complex trigger. 

If you have the Train re-spawning after 30 mins or so, just hit the complex trigger with a trigger activate just after or just before the respawn occurs to get it back working again.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DarkWolf29 said:

Hmm, we'll I'm certainly all for doing things in a simpler way, especially if it consumes less resources.

My first attempt to use a Check Zone did not work though, the train would not move. I set the zone to 4000m like the radius I used on the complex triggers and set all the Plane Coalitions to True thinking that would mean any aircraft would trigger it. Then target linked the Check Zone to the Timer by the train. I must be doing something wrong.

Did you trigger the check zone so it starts looking for the planes? See "Detect Objects Entering an Area or Already In an Area" on pg. 81 of the editor manual.

Edited by JimTM

No I did not, so I tried using a Translator Mission Begin linked to a Trigger Activate then linked to the Check Zone, but it still didn't work.

I think perhaps the problem I have is I am testing it by hosting it myself in Multiplayer? According to the last post in this thread, check zones do not function properly when doing that.

DW

47 minutes ago, DarkWolf29 said:

No I did not, so I tried using a Translator Mission Begin linked to a Trigger Activate then linked to the Check Zone, but it still didn't work.

Actually, you need to trigger the check zone trigger rather than activate it. You should add a 1 or 2-second timer after the mission begin (to allow the mission to start properly) and then target link the timer to the check zone trigger. However, if you are spawning objects or running the in-game server, the check zone trigger doesn't work.

I think perhaps the problem I have is I am testing it by hosting it myself in Multiplayer? According to the last post in this thread, check zones do not function properly when doing that.

DW

Edited by JimTM
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, my plan is just to host this myself through the in-game method. Don't have a Dserver. So I guess I'll stick with the Complex Triggers for this.

Again, I appreciate the guidance on this.

DW