Jump to content

What's your top speed on P-47 at about 5000 ft?


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, RoflSeal said:

SPA and 836 series were interchangeable and produced at the same time.

Props were switched often in the field as well, there are many cases of D-28s with Hamilton Props but we dont see it in-game, my question is why we have the SPA instead of the Curtis?

 

The D-28 came from the factory with the Curtis installed iirc so I'm not sure why we don't have it.

Edited by Legioneod
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Props were switched often in the field as well, there are many cases of D-28s with Hamilton Props but we dont see it in-game, my question is why we have the SPA instead of the Curtis?

 

The D-28 came from the factory with the Curtis installed iirc so I'm not sure why we don't have it.

Would be interested to see field mod of D-28 fitted with Hamilton propeller. As far as I am aware, it only became possible to do a in the field conversion from the D-30 onwards, hence why from thereafter there was no distinction between hydromatic and electric propellers in the block designtion (e.g D-25/26)

Edited by RoflSeal
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RoflSeal said:

Would be interested to see field mod of D-28 fitted with Hamilton propeller. As far as I am aware, it only became possible to do a in the field conversion from the D-30 onwards, hence why from thereafter there was distinction between hydromatic and electric propellers in the block designtion (e.g D-25/26)

I've read it was common to switch props and I'm almost positive I've seen photos of D-28s with Hamilton Props. I could be wrong though.

 

I'd love to have a Hamilton though, it's a much better looking prop and has slightly better performance over the Curtis props.

Edited by Legioneod
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went straight down vertical from 30'000 ft and hit the ground at over 650 MPH. Still looking around to find a piece of metal. The plane disappeared in the ground. 🙂

This was with moderate engine power parameters. No configuration to get max power, otherwise I would go supersonic. 

Edited by IckyATLAS
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thread. Kinda surprised that 100% rich instead of just auto rich is an advantage. Also surprised that slightly lower prop RPM gets higher speed. And apparently I’ve been leaving the cowl flaps and oil cooler in a higher drag configuration than absolutely necessary. I think  I’m going to make a command in Voice Attac that’ll simultaneous configure everything for max speed. “BALLS TO THE WALL!” sounds apt.

Edited by CMBailey
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CMBailey said:

Good thread. Kinda surprised that 100% rich instead of just auto rich is an advantage. Also surprised that slightly lower prop RPM gets higher speed. And apparently I’ve been leaving the cowl flaps and oil cooler in a higher drag configuration than absolutely necessary. I think  I’m going to make a command in Voice Attac that’ll simultaneous configure everything for max speed. “BALLS TO THE WALL!” sounds apt.

its nice to know we can play a little with rpm or mix or what not to get that extra mph :) i bet there is some k4 flyers who turn off auto rpm and also play with it to get that last kmh out of it, or extra in climb

Edited by 77.CountZero
Link to post
Share on other sites

So what is proper way to use the turbo lever? Can it be linked to throttle in game? Or should I just bind it to same axis as throttle? I am running out of axis on my stick to use it. Is there a command in sim to link the 2?

 

Dash says no cowl flaps over 225 KIAS? Is that inlet or outlet? Where is oil temp gauge?

Edited by Hawk777th
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Hawk777th said:

So what is proper way to use the turbo lever? Can it be linked to throttle in game? Or should I just bind it to same axis as throttle? I am running out of axis on my stick to use it. Is there a command in sim to link the 2?

 

Dash says no cowl flaps over 225 KIAS? Is that inlet or outlet? Where is oil temp gauge?

 

You could get away with linking turbo to throttle with little negative consequence. Of course its ideal to have them separate as down low you might not want to use it at all. And also the turbo changes its RPM much slower than your throttle so changing the turbo first before changing throttle would be most efficient. But for our purposes it shouldnt hurt. 

 

I would say outlet as thats where your drag is most influenced at speed. Not sure about oil temps, should be labeled as nearly everything in the P47 pit is labeled 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did some testing of my own. Can confirm that 1. 2500RPM/85% prop does seem to be the sweet spot for maximum cruising speed and 2. You can completely close cowl flaps and oil cooler for a long time without overheat. OTOH you don’t seem to lose much speed with the oil cooler wide open either.

However, moving the mixture off of autorich/85% in either direction didn’t seem to help anything. Also I have yet to find a problem with simply setting the turbo to maximum and leaving it there.

All in all looks like the simplest thing to do is interlink throttle and prop then  about 87% puts you pretty much in your max continuous sweerspot.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CMBailey said:

Also I have yet to find a problem with simply setting the turbo to maximum and leaving it there.

 

This is due to the fact that they didnt model any turbo damage besides battle damage, in reality leaving the turbo full forward would cause problem, pulsation/damming, etc. None of this is modeled in-game.

 

I do agree that the Jug never overheats, I always keep my cowls closed and intercooler/oil at neutral.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Intercooler slats set around 20% in summer

If you notice the temp gauge on the top right it shows a green band for combat power and a yellow band for WEP. Keeping it in the yellow while in WEP nets some additional speed. And on summer maps that is somewhere around 22%-18% 

1 hour ago, Panp said:

where is the key binding for this intercooler flaps ?

 

intercooler flaps - neutral ?

They are binded to the air inlet cowls commands for planes like the La5

20181122_232104.jpg

Edited by =SqSq=CrazyGman
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CMBailey said:

However, moving the mixture off of autorich/85% in either direction didn’t seem to help anything. Also I have yet to find a problem with simply setting the turbo to maximum and leaving it there.

 

Turbo overspeeding mostly happens above 23 kft or so. 100 % mixture helps at low altitudes and full throttle. I need to find the altitude where 100 % mix starts to slow you down but its not as important as correct use of other settings. Elevator trim position does not seem to effect top speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

I need to find the altitude where 100 % mix starts to slow you down but its not as important as correct use of other settings.

 

It is, if you don't want to belch smoke all over the place.

 

16 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

Elevator trim position does not seem to effect top speed.

 

What? Yes, it definitely affects top speed, just like any other plane.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

 

It is, if you don't want to belch smoke all over the place. 

 

 

What? Yes, it definitely affects top speed, just like any other plane.

 

We were talking about top speed, not generating smoke.

 

I did not test extreme trim positions yet. No noticeable difference between neutral and -40 positions to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CMBailey said:

Did some testing of my own. Can confirm that 1. 2500RPM/85% prop does seem to be the sweet spot for maximum cruising speed and 2. You can completely close cowl flaps and oil cooler for a long time without overheat. OTOH you don’t seem to lose much speed with the oil cooler wide open either.

However, moving the mixture off of autorich/85% in either direction didn’t seem to help anything. Also I have yet to find a problem with simply setting the turbo to maximum and leaving it there.

All in all looks like the simplest thing to do is interlink throttle and prop then  about 87% puts you pretty much in your max continuous sweerspot.

 

 

Yes, you can squeeze some extra mph by tweaking your settings, but the simplest method seems to be to just set everything up before you take off: close cowl flaps, set intercooler/oil flap to neutral, auto rich mixture, interlock throttle+turbo+RPM and then just use the throttle/WEP in flight to control speed. That seems to still give you 95%+ of maximum speed. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if I don't K ow how to use American planes(always fly German in every game) but I found the Jug was a really bad plane for my playstile, it can't turn, is slow at dogfight and stall at high speeds, a k4>>>>P47 by miles

I don't know if I don't K ow how to use American planes(always fly German in every game) but I found the Jug was a really bad plane for my playstile, it can't turn, is slow at dogfight and stall at high speeds, a k4>>>>P47 by miles

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

 

What's the best/simplest way to turn this into max continuous setting?

 

I just reduce throttle until MAP is 42". At most altitudes one can leave turbo speed high and adjust with throttle. Its muuuuuch more responsive. At max continuous power setting 2550 rpm is faster than 2700 rpm again so no need to adjust. For level flight at least.

 

In the real plane one would probably keep throttle and turbo interlinked to be safe from turbo pressure damming.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Can someone test, at what regime the plane accelerates the best, please? 

 

Like sea level, 3000m and 7000m,  time it takes to go from 300kmh to 400, 500 and maximum attainable. 

 

I think this is mainly propeller (rpm) and drag dependent (assuming you are getting all horsepower out of your engine correctly).

Would be interesting to see, if changing your RPM trough the speed band can net you a little bit extra acceleration. 

Edited by Cpt_Siddy
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

Would be interesting to see, if changing your RPM trough the speed band can net you a little bit extra acceleration. 

 

Top level speed yes but acceleration... unlikely. On the water injection an open throttle @ 2700rpm the Jug accelerates/climbs surprisingly well. On the autumn Kuban with 60% fuel I registered climbing at 3500ft/m. That's a pity we can not use the whole 15m supply of water in uninterrupted manner. It would be so useful for the initial climb...

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GHA_Valfreyja said:

I don't know if I don't K ow how to use American planes(always fly German in every game) but I found the Jug was a really bad plane for my playstile, it can't turn, is slow at dogfight and stall at high speeds, a k4>>>>P47 by miles

I don't know if I don't K ow how to use American planes(always fly German in every game) but I found the Jug was a really bad plane for my playstile, it can't turn, is slow at dogfight and stall at high speeds, a k4>>>>P47 by miles

It's not a turner, though it can outturn 190s and 109s at high speed for a short while and it can stick with 190s in most situations. It's never a good idea to turn with this aircraft.

 

The zoom climb of the P-47 is incredible to say the least, it seems to hang on it's proper forever and can maintain energy extremely well, the zoom is one thing the Jug does better than most aircraft, even the 109 in many situations.

 

Stick to BnZ attacks and run away if you can't win, never let the enemy get you into a turning fight or prolonged engagement that bleeds your energy/altitude.

 

I agree that the K4 is superior to the P-47 at mid-low altitude but higher up the P-47 is superior even if it's a little slower. Above 20k the P-47 become very maneuverable and even more so above 25k. The 109 seems to struggle in high altitude maneuvering and the P-47 has the edge.

 

The dive of the P-47 is lacking currently due to the loss of ailerons in a dive but other than that it's decent, the K4 can maintain a faster dive though and seems to outdive it oddly enough which really shouldnt happen.

 

Overall they are both good aircraft but they do need some work, more so on the P-47 side of things imo.

 

10 minutes ago, Ehret said:

 

Top level speed yes but acceleration... unlikely. On the water injection an open throttle @ 2700rpm the Jug accelerates/climbs surprisingly well. On the autumn Kuban with 60% fuel I registered climbing at 3500ft/m. That's a pity we can not use the whole 15m supply of water in uninterrupted manner. It would be so useful for the initial climb...

Yep it's a real shame, hope it's changed, the engine already gets damaged easily enough as it is.

Does anyone know the climb performance bewteen the Curtis 836 (the prop we should have) and the AO Smith (the one that seems to be modeled, not 100% sure though)? It could be a Curtis electric with asymmetrical blade but I'll need to do more research.

Edited by Legioneod
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Yep it's a real shame, hope it's changed, the engine already gets damaged easily enough as it is.

 

I found a workaround! (kind of)

 

You can enable the water injection just on the nominal (47" @ 2530rpm) to get something like an "intermediate WEP" - rpm stays the same but MP rises to 59". Not only it's significantly stronger than the "normal" combat power at 55" @ 2700rpm but lasts as long. Even better, after that you can switch to "full" WEP for full 5m without a hitch.

 

I managed to climb to the 20k ft on the "boosted nominal" at initial rate around 3000ft/m then enabled full power; was running very fast at that alt for 5m and 45s before the engine finally seized.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ehret said:

 

I found a workaround! (kind of)

 

You can enable the water injection just on the nominal (47" @ 2530rpm) to get something like an "intermediate WEP" - rpm stays the same but MP rises to 59". Not only it's significantly stronger than the "normal" combat power at 55" @ 2700rpm but lasts as long. Even better, after that you can switch to "full" WEP for full 5m without a hitch.

 

I managed to climb to the 20k ft on the "boosted nominal" at initial rate around 3000ft/m then enabled full power; was running very fast at that alt for 5m and 45s before the engine finally seized.

Thought about doing this but even still, water injection is for WEP not combat power and the fact that we cant really use all of it for WEP is extremely disappointing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

P47 just came out a few days ago and is still early access. No doubt the Devs will do further tweaks. As it is, it is 95% there IMHO. No need to always dwell on minor problems.

 

Enjoy it for what it is...I am. 😁

Edited by Sgt_Joch
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

P47 just came out a few days ago and is still early access. No doubt the Devs will do further tweaks. As it is, it is 95% there IMHO. No need to always dwell on minor problems.

 

Enjoy it for what it is...I am. 😁

I know I seems pretty negative but I am enjoying it a ton, my buddy and I have been flying it alot online and it's definitely a capable aircraft, but certain things with the DM and engine limits get quite annoying sometimes.

 

Not trying to complain too much, I'm just really passionate about this aircraft is all.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

I know I seems pretty negative but I am enjoying it a ton, my buddy and I have been flying it alot online and it's definitely a capable aircraft, but certain things with the DM and engine limits get quite annoying sometimes.

 

Some tests on Kuban autumn map - speeds on the deck:

- normal cruise: 484km/h

- normal combat power (for 15m): 512km/h

- cruise + water injection (switches to combat power for 15m): 536km/h

- cruise + water injection + 100% mix (switches to combat power for 15m): 548km/h

 

You can now climb at 3000ft/m instead of something like 2000-2200ft/m for prolonged intervals. As long you are over 1000m you can switch to full WEP for 5m anytime except when you are lower - at the deck the available time for full WEP diminishes to just 3m! (why?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ehret said:

 

Some tests on Kuban autumn map - speeds on the deck:

- normal cruise: 484km/h

- normal combat power (for 15m): 512km/h

- cruise + water injection (switches to combat power for 15m): 536km/h

- cruise + water injection + 100% mix (switches to combat power for 15m): 548km/h

 

You can now climb at 3000ft/m instead of something like 2000-2200ft/m for prolonged intervals. As long you are over 1000m you can switch to full WEP for 5m anytime except when you are lower - at the deck the available time for full WEP diminishes to just 3m! (why?)

Do you have the turbo full forward?

Turbo full forward produces around 67" on the deck instead of the normal 64", this would cause the WEP times to be shorter.

 

 

Edited by Legioneod
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Do you have the turbo full forward?

Turbo full forward produces around 67" on the deck instead of the normal 64", this would cause the WEP times to be shorter.

 

I used linked controls so I got turbo full forward when doing "full WEP". It'd explain the "3m". Thanks.

Edited by Ehret
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...