Han

Developer Diary 206 - Discussion

😀😃😁😄😋😍😃😁👍 vot moor can eye sey. Eggs Celents efferywhere.

a Nonny Mouse

10 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Asgar said:

wow. Köln looks amazing! that makes me wonder, is there a chance Moscow will be updated at some point in the future and be accessible to planes?

Or a bombable Stalingrad!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

What a coincidence, I want to send bombers down in flames over Moscow!
/serendipity

Good luck trying to spot us in the darkness :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

Didn't Cologne look like this in 1944/1945:

Koeln_1945.jpg

I wonder which will be the default model?  The undamaged peacetime city in the dev diary, or the actual 1944-/45 reality above? 

I know it's not the full detail version of the buildings but i can see some fun tank battles happening in those streets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catchthefoxes said:

i hope we can get both versions of the bubble and regular canopy for the D9

Please, it is necessary ... for the F-8 and D-9
the cities look impressive:o:

12 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Remember, no trees or tree walls within 15 meters of rail tracks and roads please. 

I add less tree to avoid the problem of the town which become a forest at low altitude.

10 hours ago, 76IAP-Black said:

So while they implement the new Technologie for cities, maybe they deactivate the no fly area around moscow 😀

Would be awesome 

It can't be until you have an information on a rework of the Moscow town from the dev.

The Moscow town is not built as Stalingrad, Koln or others cities. Many elements of the Moscow town are only eyes candy. It has a good render at some distance, but it's bad if you have to fly at low altitude on the town.

S O P W I T H     C A M E L  !!!!!

Edited by Plank
Resizing due to warning about type face size ... I was not aware this is a thing. I do now. S!

Thanks for news .................nice shots ......BUT

When devs will understand that cities of the middle of 20th Century were not Jungle or pre-ecolo (minimum 1 century by advance) Green cities with 50% of trees and 50% of building?

This does not make them credible.

😉

Edited by CCG_Pips

7 minutes ago, Plank said:

S O P W I T H     C A M E L  !!!!!

No that is a Pfalz D III

Edited by 6./ZG26_Asgar

57 minutes ago, CCG_Pips said:

When devs will understand that cities of the middle of 20th Century were not Jungle or pre-ecolo (minimum 1 century by advance) Green cities with 50% of trees and 50% of building?

This does not make them credible.

Well, it is a lot less work to place some trees, than to place a building, where you have to look for the exact position and direction. Anyway, what concerns me more is, as good as those pics look, those are pics of towns in peacetime, not destroyed war towns, like you can see on the posted photo of cologne.

• Upvote 1

Yes Yogiflight, towns in 1944 are much more looking (mainly in Germany) like your pics than what devs are doing at this time😉

• Like 1

It does make me wonder why it is worth going to all the extra trouble making the pre-war looking town at all, when it it is known that it patently did not look that way in the period of 1944-45.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

what concerns me more is, as good as those pics look, those are pics of towns in peacetime, not destroyed war towns, like you can see on the posted photo of cologne.

34 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

It does make me wonder why it is worth going to all the extra trouble making the pre-war looking town at all, when it it is known that it patently did not look that way in the period of 1944-45.  

I think it was interesting to note that in the last DD it was mentioned that tech will be available regarding damage to buildings:

"Today we present you the almost final look of these buildings and later we'll show you the new tech we'll be using to simulate their partial destruction. Nearly all the latest tech available in our project have been used to create them"

I'm not sure if this applies just to Tank Crews or all the modules. Looking at Stalingrad map, one can only assume that damage will be evident on the BOBP map?

Could this mean that cities and towns will be damaged by bombing?

IIRC even on the mini-TC map only the buildings in the most important locations were going to be damageable.  So I would be surprised if that would apply to whole cities in BoBP.

I would have thought that the German cities would look a bit like Stalingrad, but the allies were quite a bit more careful in bombing places outside Germany, but even so you would expect places near large factories and marshaling yards - and the areas around them - to be heavily bomb damaged. 

With a bit of luck the explanation is that the team can now swap an undamaged model for a damaged model much more easily than before.  Given that there would be plenty of towns without damage, making the generic intact building models etc was necessary anyway. 

8 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I wonder which will be the default model?  The undamaged peacetime city in the dev diary, or the actual 1944-/45 reality above? 

Yeah, I admit it would be more authentic with this "Stalingrad" carnage  type of city. But to me who is not going to spend time in mp with this map , but take slow planes on scenery flights , I must say that developers version attract me more. Absolutely beautiful looking 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

I think it was interesting to note that in the last DD it was mentioned that tech will be available regarding damage to buildings:

"Today we present you the almost final look of these buildings and later we'll show you the new tech we'll be using to simulate their partial destruction. Nearly all the latest tech available in our project have been used to create them"

I'm not sure if this applies just to Tank Crews or all the modules. Looking at Stalingrad map, one can only assume that damage will be evident on the BOBP map?

Could this mean that cities and towns will be damaged by bombing?

I don't think that they will have the time to include this into BOBP, remember Han mentioned in one of the last DDs, that there will be 300 towns and villages on this map. From what I remember, it is like unreasonable posted, only for the buildings in the Prokhorovka area, where the main tank battle took place, on the TC map.

Excellent DD.

Love the list of graphical improvements ! Especially like the wrong mixture exhaust affects being added.

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Just a guess. But as the cities are created from template modules there would need to be both. Not all cities, especially the smaller ones were destroyed, hence you need intact models to fill these towns and cities. Then, if you create a destroyed model of the templates you have both options switchable at hand.

those cities are superb.

I'm quite happy with pre war cities, realistic for the timeline or not.

but I tend to have faith in the devs that whatever they can.

id love a version of war/pre war maps as i sometimes simply like to fly.

we don't *know* what we will be finally supplied with so let's not get mad at WIP pics ;)

lastly, I don't remember CloDs London having any damage. 

16 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

let's not get mad at WIP pics ;)

• Like 1

It had been mentioned previously in DD 202 that the BOB buildings will be destructible.

image.thumb.png.27a4e1f413b3dfa31a004090f90d263e.png

Edited by Tyggz
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I think a lot of people are getting too much into the whole timeline thing, with this sim. Some complain that this or that airplane wasn't used that morning in January of '45, so it shouldn't be in the game. As if we are going to use Bodenplatte to represent one day in history!

Building the city as undamaged and damaged gives you the choice of using it in late war, or early war scenarios. If you like flying Luftwaffe, you can defend it from bombers earlier in the conflict. And if you are an Allied bomber pilot...well, wouldn't you rather have some targets to destroy, rather than a city filled with nothing but gutted out buildings?

I think it looks great. The updated ROF engine seems to work well with this, and allows a lot of detail without having us all buy new computers to be able to run it.

All I could think of while viewing the shots was, "I can't wait to fly my P-38 over all of that!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

I think a lot of people are getting too much into the whole timeline thing, with this sim. Some complain that this or that airplane wasn't used that morning in January of '45, so it shouldn't be in the game. As if we are going to use Bodenplatte to represent one day in history!

Building the city as undamaged and damaged gives you the choice of using it in late war, or early war scenarios. If you like flying Luftwaffe, you can defend it from bombers earlier in the conflict. And if you are an Allied bomber pilot...well, wouldn't you rather have some targets to destroy, rather than a city filled with nothing but gutted out buildings?

I think it looks great. The updated ROF engine seems to work well with this, and allows a lot of detail without having us all buy new computers to be able to run it.

All I could think of while viewing the shots was, "I can't wait to fly my P-38 over all of that!"

Which bombers are you going to be defending against?

• Upvote 1

You can shoot down an A-20, a B-25, or a PE-2, just the same as you would a B-17 or a Lancaster. The tactics aren't any different.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 Battle of Bodenplatte Aircraft (P-51D, P-47D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Tempest Mk.V, Bf 109 G-14, Bf 109 K-4, Fw 190 A-8 and Me 262)

So it rather depends what you have purchased. Pe-2s over Cologne?  I suppose it might make an imaginary 1946 Allies vs USSR scenario.  We are getting a B-25? 

I am perfectly happy if the new map tech can switch in and out a damaged/undamaged version of each building block efficiently.  I just wonder how much we are going to notice any of that while carrying out our usual tactical air support: not complaining that it is possible.

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2018 at 10:53 AM, Uufflakke said:

If one of the members would have moved the mouse a tiny bit to the left before making screenshot #3 we could have seen the famous cathedral. :)

Keulen-1_YXJfMTAyNHg3NDRfZF8xX2pwZ18vX2F

Don't know about screenshot #1 and #2 but #3 is Köln and #4 is Charlerois.

Are the spires still blackened from when the city was burned during raids?

Edited by =BAIT=CG_Justin

31 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Sure, the Marioland version of these cities look beautiful, and would be fantastic as the default buildings in a map that didn't presume to represent what was actually there in 1944 and 45.  I'm just curious to know what the default will be.  Will the devs be a bit squeamish about depicting catastrophic damage to western towns as standard?  If you load a QMB mission for example, will it look like December 1944 or December 1939? 

55 minutes ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

Nope.  The sandstone which most of the building is made from reacts with the sulphuric acid in rain and turns dark grey, giving the Cathedral its distinctive dark colour over time.

56 minutes ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

All of the buildings except very new ones would have been fairly black before the war, but especially ancient cathedrals.  This has nothing to do with bombing, just a function of having a coal burning economy and the effect of the acid rain it creates on stone and brickwork.  A few of us are old enough to remember large numbers of older buildings being black as soot: unfortunately. 62 tomorrow :(  

45 minutes ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

There are pre-war photographs of Cologne showing a similar level of discolouration. I would be surprised if firebombing hadn't added to the blackening of the stonework, but the primary culprit will be industrial pollution. This photgraph is dated 1939:

stock-photo-am-bollwerk-kln-nordrheinwes

I know it's not Sopwith Camel, was just shouting down the Phalz fan boys. S! P

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Use normal size. Last time.

5 hours ago, =BAIT=CG_Justin said:

Probably pollution.  Diesel engines play hell with old buildings.

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Probably pollution.  Diesel engines play hell with old buildings.

Yep, the fact that the trains drive right past it in close proximity didn't help it either. Actually, cleaning the cathedral is a bad idea. The cathedral itself was build with a number of different stonetypes (because they had to use what was available in the area and couldn't just use one type of stone for the whole thing) which would make it look quite a bit like a hodge-podge lego construct with unfitting colored pieces. The smut covers this and also fits to the gothic building style giving it a kind of looming appearance fitting to the style:)

In other words: dirty is good:P

Edited by Mauf

2 hours ago, Mauf said:

Yep, the fact that the trains drive right past it in close proximity didn't help it either. Actually, cleaning the cathedral is a bad idea. The cathedral itself was build with a number of different stonetypes (because they had to use what was available in the area and couldn't just use one type of stone for the whole thing) which would make it look quite a bit like a hodge-podge lego construct with unfitting colored pieces. The smut covers this and also fits to the gothic building style giving it a kind of looming appearance fitting to the style:)

In other words: dirty is good:P

That and the thing was built over the course of something like 600 years. 

23 minutes ago, thenorm said:

That and the thing was built over the course of something like 600 years. 

Correct. From 15. August 1248 until 15. Oktober 1880. But such a building is never finished. Repairs are constantly needed to keep the status quo.

10 hours ago, unreasonable said:

We are getting a B-25? 

Yes, from what I understand. But for now, only AI. 

9 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Will the devs be a bit squeamish about depicting catastrophic damage to western towns as standard?

I thought about this very same thing during this whole post. I wondered just how politically correct some would consider it to be. What if a Japan map was made and it included a half burnt down Tokyo. About 100,000 Japanese, mostly civilians, were incinerated...might be frowned upon. 

1 hour ago, Poochnboo said:

I thought about this very same thing during this whole post. I wondered just how politically correct some would consider it to be. What if a Japan map was made and it included a half burnt down Tokyo. About 100,000 Japanese, mostly civilians, were incinerated...might be frowned upon. 

Not sure i get it. So we have to pretend it didnt happen?

• Upvote 1