Jump to content
Han

Developer Diary 205 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

People looked much older co-age than they look today.

Physical hardships, unhealthy lifestyles and other contributing factors were the cause of that. Hell, even 20 year-olds in the 70s looked like they were 40 when compared to today's sugarcoat-generation.

 

 

Everybody seems to be excited about having their virtual balls squeezed by those speed-jeans. Well, I'm more of a jacket type of guy.

Yay for the B-10!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bremspropeller said:

People looked much older co-age than they look today.

Physical hardships, unhealthy lifestyles and other contributing factors were the cause of that. Hell, even 20 year-olds in the 70s looked like they were 40 when compared to today's sugarcoat-generation.

 

 

Everybody seems to be excited about having their virtual balls squeezed by those speed-jeans. Well, I'm more of a jacket type of guy.

Yay for the B-10!

 

I was a 20 year old in the 1970s and looked remarkably young in a handsome, rugged fashion. I dispute your generalization.

 

What is true is that a higher proportion of people developed smokers' face: a gaunt, leathery, wrinkled look which afflicts about half of regular smokers - which during WW2 would have been the majority of men.  This could set in fairly quickly: I know a couple of heavy smokers who clearly exhibited this by their early 20s.

 

Perhaps we should have a smoking and non-smoking option for our pilot avatar, along with sex and race.  Fortunately, since the US pilot already looks a bit gay, that protected group is already adequately  represented, which is a jolly good thing.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

The pilot looks older to me too.  Perhaps closer to 35 than 20.  It's probably the heavy features that give that effect.  

 

Nasolabial fold.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

I was a 20 year old in the 1970s and looked remarkably young in a handsome, rugged fashion. I dispute your generalization.

 

Manbewbs aren't as cute as you think!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ITAF_Rani said:

Remember me sameone like this.

405964_0.jpg

 

Haha.

I see what you mean.

 

To me the pilot looks more like Sgt. Oddball of Kelly's Heroes.

 

 

Sgt. Oddball.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

People looked much older co-age than they look today.

Physical hardships, unhealthy lifestyles and other contributing factors were the cause of that

Here we see the youthful looking 20 year old Soviet pilot Alexei preparing for his next mission. Maybe his likeness will be used as the new soviet pilot model in the future? ;)

O02UZ2J.jpg

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great update!

 

Now its coming. We are geting the oxygen mask and life jacket for pilots. Amazing. Pilot is looking fantastic.

 

You guys are awesome.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Plank said:

Match the face game.

My attempt:

 

1855126535_whoareyou.jpg.a48b11eb61511918502b83b1a3f94aed.jpg

 

Someone has a sense of humour...or... something. Uncanny resemblance really.

 

Salute!

 

Planky.

 

 

Not even close.

Different eyes, different folds in the skin, different facial geometry. 

 

 

In in any case, age aside, the model/texture work is fantastic.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I was a 20 year old in the 1970s and looked remarkably young in a handsome, rugged fashion. I dispute your generalization.

 

 

Oh yeah...I remember you...

young-frankenstein-marty-feldman-1974.thumb.jpg.cd3dd7122d165ae732a4c75fb75292f4.jpg

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Not even close.

Different eyes, different folds in the skin, different facial geometry.  

 

 

"Not even close" is a bit ripe!

I mean look at the ears for blinking hecks sake!

( Never going to give you up, never going to let you down..)

 

S! P.

 

 

Edited by Plank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Maybe his likeness will be used as the new soviet pilot model in the future?

If there ever was a request that was considered, this sure would be one I have never seen before, (regarding developers/producers as pilot models from this series). I for one would welcome this as iconic given the love for what we have. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a few years shaved off.

This is just a quick Photoshop comp.

I can do the same thing to the actual 3D model in Z-brush in a few minutes, re-export the normal map, plug it back into the material in the 3D app...viola.

 

Younger.jpg

Now he's more plausibly in his twenties...war or no war.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, this doesn’t in any way detract from the quality of work presented here, nor the ability of the 3D artist who is obviously more than capable. The quality of the work is outstanding. As a 3D artist  - my compliments 

 

Often enough I need another set of eyes on my work to point out something that needs adjustment. Out of hours of work on this model, this was just 5 minutes too long spent on adding face detail/folds. I’ve done it myself. It’s easy to back out of with the “smooth” brush.  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The level of detail of the new pilot model is excellent. And what I like most is the face detail. Compared to the pilot faces we have at the moment for Soviet and German pilots, this is a big jump in quality.

 

I strongly hope, and here is humble request to devs that you will revise the two existing models and bring them to the same level of quality.  In this way the same level of quality stands across all the various BOX releases.

 

The latest graphic cards can handle this "no problem".

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

isnt 4xtimes detailed pilot body too much? 

what about fps?

 

No, it's not too much. You're probably running a really outdated machine if you think you are going to have problems rending a pilot model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LukeFF said:

 

No, it's not too much. You're probably running a really outdated machine if you think you are going to have problems rending a pilot model. 

 

I recall the devs mentioning that the loss of fps and stutter when approaching bombers was due to rendering the crew models.  Perhaps they have more rigorous LoDs planned for this pilot figure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure? I think it's the AI that is causing more CPU cycles to be used up. Each multi-crew plane effectively adds one to 3 AI units.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FuriousMeow said:

Are you sure? I think it's the AI that is causing more CPU cycles to be used up. Each multi-crew plane effectively adds one to 3 AI units.

 

Ah maybe that's it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2018 at 1:02 AM, IckyATLAS said:

The level of detail of the new pilot model is excellent. And what I like most is the face detail. Compared to the pilot faces we have at the moment for Soviet and German pilots, this is a big jump in quality.

 

I strongly hope, and here is humble request to devs that you will revise the two existing models and bring them to the same level of quality.  In this way the same level of quality stands across all the various BOX releases.

 

The latest graphic cards can handle this "no problem".

 

Was there no progression of pilots for Soviet forces? The gear and uniforms of American and German pilots evolved througout the war. I'm fairly certain the same could be said of all combatants. I'd like to see pilots in an I-16 be different than an La-5FN. Same as a German pilot in a 109E should be outfitted significantly different than one in a K4. Requesting these as defaults, not a return to selectable as in CloD.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been mentioned but weapon firing smoke isn't visible from the cockpit. Visible from the outside but switch to cockpit while firing and look out to the wing and it is just the flashes with no smoke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been mentioned but perspiration dripping down into the pilots eyes and blurring ones vision during intense combat isn't presented in this game. I'm outraged with the lack of attention to detail in this regard. 😉

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just thankful that it is a new male pilot and not the new female pilot look. However, perhaps I might be mistaken with the red lipstick and moustach.

Perhaps Jason might be the next modelled pilot to be released! Always a pleasure reading the DD and I'm looking forward to everything.

 

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bullets said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but weapon firing smoke isn't visible from the cockpit. Visible from the outside but switch to cockpit while firing and look out to the wing and it is just the flashes with no smoke. 

 

Yes, it is. Look again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we going to be able to control the intercooler in the P-47?

 

Related question, since there must be some new modelling of the carb air temp as it relates to the new turbochargers for the P-47 being modelled, is it likely we will see some carb air temp controls on non-turbocharged aircraft like the P-51 and P-40, at some point?

Edited by SeaSerpent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

 

Yes, it is. Look again. 

 

I stand mistaken! I was convinced when I looked last it was not there. How embarrassing. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody able to explain what the peripheral vision is like with those goggle please!?

I only ask as i would be interested see if the in game view will have this added so you can see your mask etc and your FOV is perhaps limited by the goggles!

 

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Han

 

Any ETA on adding the TC vehicles to the viewer? I added the mgm files myself and it sort of works. Unfortunately, it only renders the hull and not the turret, which kinda defeats the purpose.

 

612.thumb.jpg.8162cb27bcd3ca620beab0ef94da297c.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...