Sign in to follow this  
Danziger

I moved to Poland

Not me, but I'm from a town called Jelenia Góra - Deer Mountain and that meme is great :biggrin: 

Edited by =L/R=Mad_Mikhael

I am originally from Florida but I've lived in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Colorado, Texas, Iraq, England and now Poland. I was driving a truck trying to make some money after my wife finished her army contract and she came to Poland to stay with her mom so rent would be cheaper and we can save more money. She wound up getting a job with Amazon here making more money so I moved here with them. I'm now using my GI Bill from my time in the army getting paid to do online school studying IT. I've been here since April and I'm about to find out in the next week or so if I'm getting my residency card to make it permanent or not. If so I'll be flying back to Texas to sell our car and stuff.

• Thanks 1

Yeah poland can be cheap if you are paid in $. 1500$ and you make more money than most people here. You will probably like it here, quite a peaceful place, feel like a bubble separated from world :P no immigration problems, low crime, no one will shoot you because we don't have guns :P not a bad place if you don't have to worry about money. I wanted to leave few years ago but now I feel like it's great place to life in compare to the west. Money is a bit of problem, especially if you want to buy stuff from the west, games, pc, console etc. It takes almost a month to get a ps4 here while in germany if you make only 1500€ per month, you could buy like 4 of them.

Anyway hello, hope you will be happy here :)

• Thanks 1

If anyone wants to meet up for a beer sometime just let me know. 

I actually visited Poland for a couple of months after my wife and I got married eight years ago. She was working and living in England at the time. I had just finished seven years in the army and felt like having an adventure so I went to England and wound up getting married to a Polish chick while I was there. I definitely like it here. I always wanted to come back.

I like being able to walk the streets without worrying about being randomly shot. I love the food and the beer. My wife always gave me the impression we were never coming back so I wasted eight years that I could've been learning a lot more Polish. I understand a lot and I know the letters and pronunciation (Grzegorz Brzeczyszczykiewicz is my character name in Ogniem i Mieczem) but my vocabulary is small and grammar is terrible. I can go out by myself and do the shopping and pick up parcels from the post office (because they never ever use the domofon just leave a note every time) but I can't get a deep conversation in Polish.

I like the weather and the scenery. There is so much to see and do. I would say so far the only thing that sucks is music equipment. There are a few really good guitar makers right here in Gdansk that used to be quite affordable because of the currency difference. However they have become quite popular in America now so the prices are astronomical. I have a Fender Stratocaster which is pretty much the most generic guitar there is and in America you can find parts everywhere. Here they are extremely rare and expensive. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, it's the same with everything. I love ww2 books but often it's hard to find them, or they are not translated and published in poland, or after year or 2 it's sold and impossible to buy anywhere. And you can easily find all these older titles, new in English on amazon. 

The reason why this stuff is expansive is because if you buy something from England etc. Delivery will cost quite a bit. I remember I wanted to buy stormtrooper helmet from star wars, it was 250$ but when I saw price to send it from usa to poland was another 200$... nope. It's better when you buy from germany or uk but still you pay a bit since 1€=4,5 polish money. Game cost 60€ for someone making 1500€ it's just ok, here if you make 1500 pln (I think it's more less minimal pay) you buy these games for 250 pln. Hobbies can be expensive here

😕

And I live near south border of poland so unfortunately no beer for me :P

Edited by InProgress

Gdańsk is a good place to start for a Texan. Warm summer, moderate winter (raining mostly). Prices are a bit high but it`s a tourist thing. If you intend to stay for longer, feel free to learn some stuff about the local football team.

Maka.jpg

I got my karta pobytu! So now I am legal for another three years. 

Edited by Danziger

I work a great deal of my time with Polish welders and constructors. Many also from Lithuania , Estonia and Romania. These guys earn a great deal here. Working different types of shifts. Also trucks. Advantage is you are home and have free time and then work a lot when at work. I do the same.. work 2 to 3 weeks 12 + hours a day 6 days a week and are home 2 to 3 weeks.

Gdansk I only enjoyed one time one evening, I had a very good impression of it. We where to stop there on a campervantrip , but my daughter got sick so we hurried back home.

Wish you good luck,  it seems you are well suited for a new situation

IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.594ae7eb7aa9cac2f105a115630fddeb.JPG