Sign in to follow this  
Novice-Flyer

Battle of Guadalcanal

When the devs do the Pacific Theatre trilogy, I honestly believe that they'll do the Battle of Guadalcanal, Philippines ( or Iwo Jima, or something else), and Okinawa. In my own opinion, I don't think that Midway will be in the Pacific Trilogy. I state this because the Pilot Careers for BOS, BOM, BOK, BOBP, and the battles above took place over a course of several months, while Midway only lasted several days. The map will consist of the Midway island and ships. The Battle of Guadalcanal was the Allies first ground offensive against the Japanese. The taking of Guadalcanal by the Japanese had endangered allied supply lines and made land south of the Solomon islands, as well as Australia and New Zealand vulnerable to capture. Both sides knew that whoever controlled Guadalcanal, controlled the Pacific. On August 12th the allies captured the airfield on Guadalcanal and named it Henderson field after Lofton Henderson who died in the Battle of Midway. The aircraft that operated there were known as the Cactus Air Force. These aircraft sank 17 warships and 12 Japanese transports, and on November 12th they sank the battleship, Hiei. The Japanese tried many times to retake Henderson, but failed.  The Battle of Guadalcanal lasted a period of 6 months and led to the Japanese being evacuated out. In total the Americans lost 29 ships and 615 aircraft, while the Japanese lost 900 aircraft and 38 ships. This battle was a major turning point because as a result of the American victory there, they started their offensive " Island hopping" to capture/re-capture Japanese territory. I state this in a Google Docs presentation that I did about the Battle of Guadalcanal: Following the attack on Pearl Harbour, the Japanese began to further expand their empire into the Pacific Ocean... At the end I write: Even though the Japanese had suffered heavy losses at Midway, that did not stop their offensive. The Guadalcanal Campaign ended all Japanese expansion attempts permanently and placed the Allies in a position of clear victory in the Pacific. The Allied victory at Guadalcanal was the first step in a long string of successes that eventually led to the surrender of Japan.

This is true as after the Midway the Japanese captured the Aleutian islands and Burma, just days before the Guadalcanal offensive began.

Important note: At the start of the campaign the Americans had 4 fleet carriers: Saratoga, Enterprise, Hornet, and Wasp, by the end the Enterprise and the Saratoga remained. This led to the Americans borrowing the HMS Victorious. The Japanese had the carriers only 2 fleet carriers: Shokaku and Zuikaku. During the Battle of Midway the Japanese had lost 4 fleet carriers. The victory at Midway had crippled the Japanese capability of launching carrier based planes, and fleet carriers. The objective was to capture the island of Midway so that the Japanese could launch a second attack on Pearl Harbour. The victory at Midway had ensured the victory at Guadalcanal as well. Without that victory and the sinking of the 4 Japanese carriers, the Americans probably wouldn't have taken Guadalcanal.

Both the Battle of Midway and Guadalcanal are turning points in the Pacific Theatre of WW2 and served as the downfall of the Empire.

The Guadalcanal map will probably extend from the island of Guadalcanal to Bougainville island and contain many ships

Battle of Guadalcanal Aircraft:

(Aircraft in bold also fought at Midway)

American Aircraft:                                                                            Japanese Aircraft:

SBD Dauntless                                                                                   A6M2 "Zero"

P-400                                                                                                   B5N2 "Kate"

F4F Wildcat                                                                                        D3A1 " Val"

TBF Avenger                                                                                      A6M3 "Zero"

Collector                                                                                             Collector

PBY Catalina                                                                                      G4M "Betty"

The Battle of Midway will be made in the IL-2 Great Battles series, but I don't believe that it will be made in the Pacific trilogy as a result of the reasons stated above. The Battles in the Trilogy will be Guadalcanal and Okinawa for sure, the Philippines or something else. As stated above, the Battle of Guadalcanal was the first ground offensive against the Japanese. Getting back, Midway will be done in either 2 ways.

1. The devs will portray both the Battle of Midway and Guadalcanal in one pack as many planes and ships participated in both battles. This will be simple as the Midway map will take much, much less time to make than the Guadalcanal map; I believe this is an excellent compromise. If this happens then the TBD Devastator will be added, as well as the E13A and another Japanese plane. Guadalcanal was the follow up of the victory at Midway.

2. The Battle of Midway will be made after the Pacific Trilogy. It will include a few new aircraft, and will be added to the Pilot Career. 

The Battle of Guadalcanal was a defining moment for the US Marine Corps in WW2 as it taught them the effects of gaining air superiority and quickly acquiring an airbase during amphibious operations. These are primary steps for todays or recent amphibious assaults. Guadalcanal was the beginning of the downfall for the Japanese Empire.

I don't expect this battle or the Pacific Theatre for IL-2 GB to happen for another 2-3 years.

Thank you for reading what I have to say

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

There would have never been a Midway or Aleutians had Doolittle not flamed Tokyo, the Japanese high command practically flushed their entire strategic defensive war plan down the toilet making one huge mistake.  That was the real shift in the war, forcing them to engage in a fight they never prepared for, making them extend too far from home turf.  Resources that would have been useful for fortifying a defensive ring of the original plan were vaporized.

46 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Didn't bother. Have you really not noticed the gigantic current topic on the front page here about why people want the Pacific?

:rolleyes:

Wow...

• Upvote 1

This post based on the assumption that there is some sort of trilogy, but I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Can you explain why?

2 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

This post based on the assumption that there is some sort of trilogy, but I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Can you explain why?

Perhaps they’re thinking that because we got three Eastern Front titles, we’re getting a trilogy for every front?

To clarify @Novice-Flyer, the only Pacific titles the devs have talked about have been Battle of Midway and Battle of Okinawa, and if I remember right, they were only ever suggested, never explicitly confirmed.

Edited by PB_Cybermat47
  • Upvote 1

Well...it's what many of us want/hope for...especially those of us that paid for 3 Eastern Front titles mostly to finance dreams of going to PTO (or at least away from Russia)

Count me in that group.

That said I fully realize that this may not be feasible. I also know that it's Jason's favorite and he'll do what he can, so I won't be complaining on the forum if we only get a single release.

Fingers crossed though, as there's a lot to cover in PTO.

Yeah, a PTO trilogy would be great if it happened. I’d especially like to see New Guinea, because ‘straya.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Well...it's what many of us want/hope for...especially those of us that paid for 3 Eastern Front titles mostly to finance dreams of going to PTO (or at least away from Russia)

Count me in that group.

That said I fully realize that this may not be feasible. I also know that it's Jason's favorite and he'll do what he can, so I won't be complaining on the forum if we only get a single release.

Fingers crossed though, as there's a lot to cover in PTO.

Agreed, it's be a real shame to only get one release for the Pacific. Three per theater sounds good to me if it's possible.

The real question is, if they can only do one release what would be the best operation to do? Imo it would be New Guinea in 1943 to early 44, this would give us alot that the Pacific has to offer. Guadalcanal could also be good aswell but I don't think it would offer the same variety as New Guinea.

Hopefully there is at least three releases though, Midway, Guadalcanal, and New Guinea would be a good start.

Hopefully we don't see another eastern front expansion for a long while, they need to expand the Pacific and Western Europe more before going back east.

49 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

they need to expand the Pacific and Western Europe more before going back east.

I totally agree with you Legioneod. You're absolutely correct, there's a lot that can be done in the Pacific rather than in the Eastern Front. I think they are limited to only Bodenplatte, Berlin, and probably Normandy in the Western Front as a kind result of the devs wishing to not do battles that Cliffs of Dover will cover. If and when they return to the Eastern front, they should do Lvov, Smolensk, and Leningrad/ Continuation War. In the Pacific, they should later do Chichi Jima, Saipan, Guam, etc.

I doubt we are getting a trilogy of the western front. We would have to go to Italy if we wanted a large enough pool of remaining axis planes instead of keep adding German planes. 

I agree with Guadalcanal being the first installment of the PTO. Midway itself was too short a time-frame and would be a bit too bland on the scenery to keep non-hardcore pacific fans interested. I know I would have an incredibly hard time navigating. 

I think its imperative to start a new theater in the early years then progressively follow the timeline with future products. I think they learned something with Moscow as trying to backpedal a year into arguably less advanced planes gets less and less marketable. But if you start from the less advanced years and progress into slightly more capable aircraft you have a real plan of success.

They are investing too much in their first battle in the Pacific to 'abandon' it after only one product.

It makes sense to reuse whatever they come up with as a result of such investment, so I don't see why they wouldn't create two or three battes in the Pacific.

With that in mind, I agree it would be wise to plan accordingly and offer these battles progressively instead of going somehow backwards as with BoM.

1 hour ago, Field-Ops said:

I agree with Guadalcanal being the first installment of the PTO. Midway itself was too short a time-frame and would be a bit too bland on the scenery to keep non-hardcore pacific fans interested. I know I would have an incredibly hard time navigating. 

If I had to guess, Battle of Midway would actually cover Pearl Harbour, Wake Island, Coral Sea, and Midway. And I could easily see the devs making Oahu eye candy central.

22 minutes ago, PB_Cybermat47 said:

If I had to guess, Battle of Midway would actually cover Pearl Harbour, Wake Island, Coral Sea, and Midway. And I could easily see the devs making Oahu eye candy central.

I could see them doing three maps for one title if they are covering small islands like midway. Oahu though afaik is reasonably big. A Pearl Harbour mission would be kinda limited though if people want it historical. 

Please Midway before Okinawa.

Midway is much like the Battle of Britain in that very rarely in aerial warfare do the capabilities of two sides match up so evenly.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

Sign in to follow this