Sign in to follow this  
Bremspropeller

Anybody into flight jackets in here?

I know I am.

I do have around a dozen of varying fidelity - some original maker jackets, some hi value repros and some, well lower fidelity repros.

All but one are leather jackets.

Anybody else in here?

16 hours ago, Space_Ghost said:

Military surplus stuff is great

Absolutely, there’s a store in Sydney that’s spelling a Napoleonic naval cannon and Samurai armour :biggrin:

• Haha 1

I do have three NH jackets. A black "109", a russet A-2 and a G-1.

They are okay, but they are no way near top tear quality and fidelity. Especially the A-2s and G-1s (which on most reproduction vendors are modelled to a specific contract) do have a boatload of "artistical freedom" around them and none come close to representing a real A-2 or G-1.

Also, the heavy lining is just off - they're probably built with motorcyclists in mind, rater than normal people just wearing a leather jacket.

The 109 actually is a copy of the Eastman "Ostmann" and it's not the most common Luftwaffe jacket-design at all. That would have been the "Hartmann" design offered on their site.

The Hartmann they're offering looks quite nice (for the price), though I can't remember if it had the heavy lining, too. All of NH jackets come with internal pockets, making them a good deal more practical than most top tier repro-makers that won't put a pocket where none originally existed.

The cool thing about NH is their unique offering of Luftwaffe shearling jackets ("Eisbär", "Stuka" and "Kanaljacke" variations; the "Uhu" design can also be had elsewhere at higher fidelity and at much higher cost). The allied shearling jackets they're offering are supposedly way off, so only go there if the price is an argument for you.

Overall NH is a nice middle-section vendor. You can actually visit them at Ulm, Germany. Have been there - they're nice people.

And they offer Fallschirmjäger boots and a very nicely-tasting paraguayan Rum.

If you are interested in mostly higher fidelity stuff, you'd best have a look at either the Fedora Lounge

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/forums/outerwear.4/

or Vintage Leather Jackets

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/general-flight-jacket-discussion.5/

There has been a crazy pricing spiral in the last couple of years and most "hi quality" repros are nowadays around 1000€ and more, which borders on the ridiculous. One reason is the very high popularity (and demand) from the growing asian market. Good quality repros can be had at more reasonable prices on ebay.

I'll see if I can come around and do some pictures of various jackets.

• Upvote 1

This flightline jacket belonged to my wife's maternal grandfather. He was a diver in the Royal Navy during WWII on the survey ship HMS White Bear. Always mechanically adept, he got into aviation maintenance sometime after the war, eventually working in avionics maintenance for American Airlines. In fact, the reason why my wife's family ended up in the U.S. was because A.A. offered him a position in the U.S. IIRC in the 60s. He ended up working for about 25 years at LAX. It's a shame I never got to meet him, because from what my wife has told me, he was a true aviation and history nut. In fact, some of the history books on his bookshelf are ones that I've either read myself or I plan on reading whenever I find the time.

Anyhow, we found his jacket when we were cleaning out a cabinet a few months ago. Needs a bit of cleanup, but overall it's in good shape.

IMG_20180818_203910.thumb.jpg.471a723c8cc9c24538cc615f14c86591.jpgIMG_20180818_203929.thumb.jpg.06170463ff90d475980a8dd42035fe13.jpg

• Like 1

I can't believe there aren't more people who own a pilot's jacket, or two.

Don't be afraid :D

@LukeFF , what material is the AA jacket made of? Do you still have it and do you wear it?

Got a few issued ones, don’t wear it outside of work though!

12 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

@LukeFF , what material is the AA jacket made of? Do you still have it and do you wear it?

Yes, I still have it, but no, I don't wear it. I'd have to check and see what sort of material it is.

i have a luftwaffe like black leather jakcet i bought in the 90s for biking but id say most leather jackets may fit into aviation like

its the property of leather of being wind resistant

Why you choose leather jackets if another more new arrivals jackets have trending on the peak, I think a leather jacket is now old fashion, now that the time is different or other stuff best quality jackets are on trending yet

No you are wrong, I've had leather jackets for my motorbikes since 1974... Leather is still in, most people I know use leather on their bikes.

As for casual wear, here in the UK I see people out in leather jackets everywhere... Leather never goes out of fashion.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2019 at 3:46 AM, Trooper117 said:

No you are wrong, I've had leather jackets for my motorbikes since 1974... Leather is still in, most people I know use leather on their bikes.

As for casual wear, here in the UK I see people out in leather jackets everywhere... Leather never goes out of fashion.

I have this suspicion that HFranco is a spambot. 

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I have this suspicion that HFranco is a spambot. 

attributing thanksgiving day to God and a clothing store  in the same sentence kinda gives the game away 🙂

On 11/29/2019 at 6:46 AM, Trooper117 said:

Leather also helps with minimizing the road rash if one comes off.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:32 PM, Bremspropeller said:

I know I am.

I do have around a dozen of varying fidelity - some original maker jackets, some hi value repros and some, well lower fidelity repros.

All but one are leather jackets.

Anybody else in here?

Yeah just love them. Earlier this year I bought one for each of my kids (and one for me of course) at the Manhattan showroom of Cockpit USA.

High quality stuff.

8 hours ago, 161snails said:

if anybody wants an Originaly desinged IRVIN flying jacket, this is the place to go...100% aunthentic design and weigh a tonne...amazingly warm though

https://www.flying-jacket.com/

Yes. Had mine for years, and it's still as good as new.

I use it on my motorbike, walking the dogs, or a walk down to the village pub on a cold night...