602EAF_Puff

Need help from Devs please

I have built this cockpit to fly BoS spitfires, but have ran into an issue. I cannot use the flaps selector switch I have made, as the game does not recognise it as a 'toggle' so I have to find another two keys to use for the flaps  {if I map the same switch input to both up and down functions, it doesn't recognise one of them } also I cannot use the trim wheels as there are no  axis use on trims functions for the spitfire. May I ask how difficult is it to add these functions to the existing code and would there be any plans in the very near future to add these?

Hope you or someone can help as I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

37844375_10156202003664473_6126644661604843520_n.jpg

37835772_10156202003649473_6493067107813556224_n.jpg

37858894_10156201557119473_7985153074454855680_n.jpg

• Like 11

Ok,

I'm going to be really helpful here and suggest you send it all to me, and I'll try to figure out a solution for you... Ok ?

😉

Hey - that looks really Cool !!!! And I hope you can sort it out...

• Haha 1

Thanks guys...it’s really frustrating, desperately wanting fly using it ( works in my other sims) Hope the devs see this thread and implement it in the very near future. 😄

Anyway, no other Spitfire feels like the IL-2 Spitfire!  So it's worth waiting for a solution :-)

Can you not connect your flaps switch so that it sends two signals: one at the up position and one at the down - I use a switch on a Saitek for my flaps up/down. (I see you have one as well). Gear up/down and tail wheel lock (for 109s) also work the same way using the Saitek buttons.  It is not exactly a toggle, more like a rocker in operation, but you only have one switch for flaps doing that and up and down is intuitive.

On the trim issue the developers have IMHO got themselves into an annoying and muddled situation trying to match up actual controls with different kind of buttons, axes etc. Unfortunately there seems to be no sign that they have any intention of changing their ways.

Nice setup BTW, true dedication. 

16 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

Can you not connect your flaps switch so that it sends two signals: one at the up position and one at the down

This. 

16 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

On the trim issue the developers have IMHO got themselves into an annoying and muddled situation trying to match up actual controls with different kind of buttons, axes etc. Unfortunately there seems to be no sign that they have any intention of changing their ways.

For the trim wheels, send key presses when they rotate.

I know it’s not the most elegant solution, but it works. It does require some programming, but you should be able to do it if you’ve built a cockpit like that. I wouldn’t expect changes to the game.

The flap switch has a push button behind the body which feeds a Desktop Aviator usb control board, it only registers one key press per activation, to change it would take a lot of work to the actual switch ( took three days to hand finish ). The trims are connected to two 10k pots fitted with gearing to get the correct control... that’s why I need the ability to assign to an axis command, fitting a rotary encoder would screw up for the other sims I play.

It would be a shame if the devs don’t look to changes to the way controls are assigned.. but I wait in hope.

Edited by 602EAF_Puff

19 minutes ago, 602EAF_Puff said:

The flap switch has a push button behind the body which feeds a Desktop Aviator usb control board, it only registers one key press per activation, to change it would take a lot of work to the actual switch ( took three days to hand finish ). The trims are connected to two 10k pots fitted with gearing to get the correct control... that’s why I need the ability to assign to an axis command, fitting a rotary encoder would screw up for the other sims I play.

It would be a shame if the devs don’t look to changes to the way controls are assigned.. but I wait in hope.

Amazing work mate, that's a heck of a cockpit for sure. :good:

For the flap switch, is there any way to change the programming of the controller board ? Or alternatively, wire the switch to two inputs at the same time, one for single key press, the second to continuous press ?

For the trim, no luck so far, I'm in the same boat as you are, geared wheels connected to pots. I'm regularly poking the devs here and there in case trim are being worked on, but they are more silent than a german U-Boat under chase. No idea how long it will stay in this state. Remnants of unlogical decision taken at early development stage, with the delicate financial situation and programmer overbooking, I fear that this issue isn't ranked very high on the priority list...

But I have hopes.

Edited by F/JG300_Gruber

23 minutes ago, 602EAF_Puff said:

Don't hold your breath. :(  While a flaps toggle is simple enough (we have it for gear) and makes sense especially for planes like the Spitfires with all or nothing flaps, every time the trim issue comes up there are lots of people claiming that this will give an unfair advantage in MP.  You will have to use a work around for the foreseeable future, I expect. 

Thanks folks..I'll watch and wait.

2 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

every time the trim issue comes up there are lots of people claiming that this will give an unfair advantage in MP

Lol..you could press a bloody key so much quicker than I can roll that wheel  :)

19 minutes ago, F/JG300_Gruber said:

Or alternatively, wire the switch to two inputs at the same time, one for single key press, the second to continuous press ?

Never thought of that, possible to do that, will need to wait till next week till I'm back at work

Autohotkey in the meantime?

I use it to make my second saitek throttle quadrant act like its the spitfires undercarriage control. I move the control to forward position and the undercarriage is raised. I move the control to the back position and its lowered. Course there I am taking two axis positions as input and changing them to an single output key. Rather than taking an single input key and changing that into two output keys as in your case.

Just guessing but something like this for the flaps operation?

;--------------------------------------------------
;--AUTO EXECUTE------------------------------------

#PERSISTENT
#NOENV
#KEYHISTORY 0
#INSTALLKEYBDHOOK
LISTLINES OFF
SETSTORECAPSLOCKMODE, OFF
SETKEYDELAY, 50, 50
SETTITLEMATCHMODE, 2

;--FLAP CONTROLLER---------------------------------

FLAP_SETTING = 0

4JOY7::						;CHANGE TO WHATEVER YOUR FLAP SWITCH REGISTERS AS
	FLAP_SETTING := !FLAP_SETTING
	IF FLAP_SETTING = 0
		SEND {F}			;CHANGE TO WHATEVER KEY IS YOUR FLAP DOWN KEY
	IF FLAP_SETTING = 1
    		SEND {R}			;CHANGE TO WHATEVER KEY IS YOUR FLAP UP KEY
RETURN

;--SCRIPT END--------------------------------------

The trim would be an little more difficult but probably still possible. I am guessing you would have to watch the axis and send the increase/decrease trim keys each time the value passes various thresholds.

1 hour ago, Oliver88 said:

Autohotkey in the meantime?

I use it to make my second saitek throttle quadrant act like its the spitfires undercarriage control. I move the control to forward position and the undercarriage is raised. I move the control to the back position and its lowered. Course there I am taking two axis positions as input and changing them to an single output key. Rather than taking an single input key and changing that into two output keys as in your case.

Just guessing but something like this for the flaps operation?

;--AUTO EXECUTE------------------------------------

#PERSISTENT
#NOENV
#KEYHISTORY 0
#INSTALLKEYBDHOOK
LISTLINES OFF
SETSTORECAPSLOCKMODE, OFF
SETKEYDELAY, 50, 50
SETTITLEMATCHMODE, 2

FLAP_SETTING = 0

4JOY7::						;CHANGE TO WHATEVER YOUR FLAP SWITCH REGISTERS AS
	FLAP_SETTING := !FLAP_SETTING
	IF FLAP_SETTING = 0
		SEND {F}			;CHANGE TO WHATEVER KEY IS YOUR FLAP DOWN KEY
	IF FLAP_SETTING = 1
    		SEND {R}			;CHANGE TO WHATEVER KEY IS YOUR FLAP UP KEY
RETURN

The trim would be an little more difficult but probably still possible. I am guessing you would have to watch the axis and send the increase/decrease trim keys each time the value passes various thresholds.

Don't think that would work, I use a push button behind the flap lever, so for activation it goes from a '0' to a '1' then back to a '0' again on one movement from up to down, then repeats that on the opposite way...many thanks for having a look at it, its very appreciated.

Yeah I understood that part in your setup, should work for that (other than my code maybe having errors, but the basis of the idea should work nonetheless) as the code would just contain its own toggle switch, which changes between its two states (down and up) when your push button is pressed momentarily. And when that codes own toggle switch changes states it also sends the relevant key presses for your flaps in game.

That push button does register to windows as an joystick button or key I presume?

FLAP_SETTING = 0			;VARIABLE THAT HOLDS THE LOGICAL STATE OF YOUR FLAP LEVER, 0 FOR DOWN, 1 FOR UP

4JOY7::					;WATCHES FOR THE MOMENTARY PRESS OF THE PUSH BUTTON, CODE BETWEEN THIS AND "RETURN" IS THEN RUN

FLAP_SETTING := !FLAP_SETTING	;TOGGLES THAT VARIABLE, IF IT WAS 0 (FOR LEVER DOWN) ITS NOW 1 (FOR LEVER UP) OR VICE VERSA

IF FLAP_SETTING = 0		;IF THE VARIABLE SAYS YOUR LEVER IS IN THE DOWN POSITION UP THEN "F" IS SENT TO THE GAME (YOUR FLAPS DOWN KEY)
		SEND {F}

IF FLAP_SETTING = 1		;IF THE VARIABLE SAYS YOUR LEVER IS IN THE UP POSITION UP THEN "R" IS SENT TO THE GAME (YOUR FLAPS UP KEY)
    		SEND {R}
RETURN

Its amazing the sort of things you can do with autohotkey, honestly should be capable solve this if developers cannot, its rather powerful. I've used it to augment the controls in numerous games. For example I also used it to give me differential brakes controlled from an single brake lever and the rudder pedals in an game in which there was no such differential brakes in its spitfire just left brake and right brake keys.

Edited by Oliver88

actually three questions, as can get you something to try out quicker then

1. What does the button show up as in BoX when you try map it to something. For example joy1_b3 or joy0_b8 or etc.

2. What keys do you have mapped for your flaps up and flaps down commands in game. Default or something different?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5XacP4cwNG3H-tAJDMMD0PFl-QOk3rR/view

There give that an go. I've tested it in game on my computer. I've compiled it also so you should not have to download and install AutoHotKey to just try this. AutoHotKey should only be needed if you want to edit and recompile source code (provided in the zip). Slight disclaimer that I've never shared my code or tried them on other computers so dunno whether what I script is compatible across other systems.

Unzip and then set DUNLOP FLAP LEVER PROGRAM.exe to Run as Administrator otherwise its keystrokes wont pass through to the game. Run that executable, my anti-virus wanted to scan the thing on first run so yours may also, but I promise I've added nothing nefarious inside there. :crazy: Put your flap lever into its up position (otherwise lever up becomes flaps down and vice versa) and then click Start.

Test using notepad first. You should see notepad alternate between typing an u and j as you move your lever up and down. You should also see some text on the program (to the right of the start/stop button) indicating the flaps current setting. Should that have gone as expected then go ahead and test in game. Click stop to stop monitoring your flap lever. Click start to start monitoring your flap lever again (again make sure lever is in up position before hand). Close window to stop the program.

Edited by Oliver88

Thanks for that mate, gave it a try but doesn't recognise the lever control working { although in game it still operates the flap down }

From my devices.txt file within BoS

configId,guid,model|
0,%225b8d6b00-8cea-11e7-0000545345440980%22,Saitek%20Pro%20Flight%20Throttle%20Quadrant%20(USB)|
1,%225b8d6b00-8cea-11e7-0000545345440c80%22,Saitek%20Pro%20Flight%20Combat%20Rudder%20Pedals|
2,%225b8d6b00-8cea-11e7-0000545345440a80%22,Joystick%20-%20HOTAS%20Warthog|
3,%225b8d6b00-8cea-11e7-0000545345440b80%22,Throttle%20-%20HOTAS%20Warthog|
4,%226fd72d00-ced8-11e7-0000545345440180%22,CH%20THROTTLE%20QUADRANT|
5,%224ca478f0-ebfd-11e7-0000545345440180%22,Arduino%20Leonardo|
6,%2263527110-ebfd-11e7-0000545345440280%22,Arduino%20Leonardo|
7,%22aa167c40-fba7-11e7-0000545345440280%22,vJoy%20Device|
8,%2211ff28de-28de-0001-4449564449500000%22,Controller%20(XBOX%20360%20For%20Windows)|
9,%22f0778340-91c1-11e8-0000545345440180%22,Model%202040%2F2045|
10,%22a727b380-91c2-11e8-0000545345440280%22,Model%202120%2F2125

Row 9 is the controller in question, I tried changing the 10joy1 line in the settings txt file to 09joy1 and also 9joy1 but no working lol

Edited by 602EAF_Puff

Taking this to private message. Think the discussion on AHK code might be going an touch off topic for the forum rules.

@602EAF_Puff how did you make the yoke? Can you tell something about it? Did you buy it or DIY?

It looks astounding.

7 hours ago, bies said:

@602EAF_Puff how did you make the yoke? Can you tell something about it? Did you buy it or DIY?

It looks astounding.

Thanks..the left side cockpit { Trim wheels, Throttle and radio box } and the control column were bought from EAF79_Topsy  { Find him here  https://www.facebook.com/spitfirehistories/ }

The central section, left side switch panel { bottom section } and the full right side I built myself..I also modded my Saitek F16 pedals to look like spitfire ones lol

• Thanks 1