=FB=VikS

P-47 gunsight reticle question

Hi All!

Does anyone have info about Mark VIII gunsight reticle used at ETO when installed on Tbolts?

As its kinda controversial at the moment, as one of the sources [Republic P-47 Aircraft Erection & Maintenance Manual - 01-65BC-2 - 1944 - 1945] says this:

EMM-01-65BC-2.jpg.6c17cf4555b9e83ca486354e709128df.jpg

but another one [Pilot training manual for the thunderbolt] - this:

PTM.thumb.jpg.b8659cace1f77163c87869d8026fa820.jpg

its supported by this source:

mark-8-AAF_reticles.jpg.4908974a6ad98158a9833f6448251741.jpg

But as Mark 8 came from NAVY, its original reticle was this one:

Mark8_navy.jpg.fb520cca21bb1911a39e94961594c8a0.jpg

So im a bit confused here, but mostly - i think we should use 100 mil rocket type AAF reticle.

Anyone have anything about the subject?

• Like 1

Hello!
I have found this source:
http://www.aircraft-gunsights.com/other-sights/

On US Navy Mark 8 Gunsight states: 
As most P-47 reaching the European theater were modified to use the British Mark II gunsight (see above) before being sent to combat units, Material Command requested in July 1943 that, as an interim measure and until the new N-9 gunsight would be available in sufficient number, all P-47 leaving the production line should be equipped with the Navy Mark 8 gunsight. An order of 5.400 sights was therefore placed in October 1943 (later increased to an unkown number) and the Mark 8, starting with the P-47 D-20 series, finally remained the standard P-47 gunsight until gyro K-14A gunsights became available in sufficient number early 1945.
Period photos also show that at least a few P-51D in the Pacific theater were field modified to use the Mark 8 gunsight. Strange as the Mark 8 was definitely not superior to the N-9 that was the standard equiment for early P-51Ds. So why replace the N-9 with an inferior equipment? Maybe a few ex P-47 pilots that were nostalgic of the Mark 8 that they used in their previous fighter.

reticle-aaf.jpg

Mark 8 Mod 8 Gunsight with an AAF reticle.

I don't know if it helps as it is a non official source but kinda gives some insight about the "Navy sight on USAAF" and maybe that AAF reticle is what you guys are looking for. Maybe some were modified for the ETO and in PTO where left as it states on your first image?

Kind regards,
Manu

Edited by LF_ManuV

2 hours ago, =FB=VikS said:

So im a bit confused here, but mostly - i think we should use 100 mil rocket type AAF reticle.

Anyone have anything about the subject?

The rocket sight is the one I'd go with. Short discussion about the Mk VIII on the P-47 here: https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/p-47d-mk8-reflector-gunsight.13065/

Speaking of P-47 gunsights, there's a discussion here about the use of the K-14 on the P-47: https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/k-14-gunsight-on-p-47.44086/

Edited by LukeFF

I don't have any information on this, but a suggestion: Have you/do you get in touch with people that operate restored aircraft? There's a P-47 currently in the UK and I'm sure there are others and I'd guess that the folks running them will know pretty much all there is to know. In most cases the aircraft are restored to original condition with (as best they can find) authentic parts or new parts made from original specifications. 

http://vintageaviationecho.com/thunderbolt-returns-to-uk-airshow-scene/ 

And you've also got places like IWM Duxford (https://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford) in the UK that is home to many, many vintage aircraft. My guess is some of these places won't always give information away free since IL-2 is commercial, but it's worth a look I reckon. Might be quicker than poring over texts that are often contradictory. 

@=FB=VikS

Many P-47s in the 9th Airforce used the British Mk. II Gunsight. A majority of P-47s were retrofitted with the K-14 Gunsight in 45, the 8th had them in fall of 44. In British service they also used the GGS.

As far as the reticle on the Mk VIII, it seems that it was just a ring with a dot in the middle like in the manual. Not really the best sight, could be the reason many P-47 pilots stuck with the British Mk II Gunsight until the K-14 became available.

Can't really find any info on if they used the AAF rocket type reticle or not, though it would make sense for the P-47.

The K-14 used the AAF rocket type reticle as a fixed sight so it might be worthwhile doing this version for when you make the K-14.

Edited by Legioneod