Bonkin

TFS Developer Update - July 2018

Just now, InProgress said:

I doubt, how many people actually own it? I know only one friend on steam who has VR. I don't think it's something that popular, too expensieve. And i don't think VR would make commercial success, at best it could add some sells but i don't believe it would change anything. I would not want to wait for 5.0 for month or more just because VR delay that me and most of world population does not even have...

It's very popular in Great Battles, but it's not just about the people which own it, which I expect to increase over time, It's about the people that fly together. VR users flying alongside non VR friends. 

Will these people prefer to fly together on games that they can both enjoy ?

I really don't know, but I strongly believe that VR makes a flight sim product more attractive. Even those that don't currently own one may wish to own one in the future. I guess the real question is are you building a product for your existing fan base, or are you also trying to attract new blood. If the latter then I stand by VR being important enough to introduce with 5.0

I am not saying not to add VR, but not releasing game because VR is not ready seems silly. It wont make VR come faster, if game is ready just sell it and VR would come later as free patch.

2 hours ago, =FEW=Herne said:

It's very popular in Great Battles, but it's not just about the people which own it, which I expect to increase over time, It's about the people that fly together. VR users flying alongside non VR friends. 

Will these people prefer to fly together on games that they can both enjoy ?

I really don't know, but I strongly believe that VR makes a flight sim product more attractive. Even those that don't currently own one may wish to own one in the future. I guess the real question is are you building a product for your existing fan base, or are you also trying to attract new blood. If the latter then I stand by VR being important enough to introduce with 5.0

I think TFS has a release schedule agreed with 1C. That's pressure to produce something that address not only the shortfalls of the original but also remains attractive and viable in the current day and market. That's not to say VR isn't important just that's its not something to prioritise over the AI routines,  carer, QMB, graphics in general, game optimisation and that long list of complaints people raise about the game at this time.

In the past they have been bashed for delaying patches whilst more features were added and they don't have the benefit of early access.

Ultimately the product needs to sell and, it seems,  within a certain period of time. Get the 2D stuff right and there's still far far more flat screeners than VR-ers currently who could be potential purchasers.  

If that comes to pass then absolutely VR becomes a vital and urgent element.

• Upvote 1

I think most players do not use VR, so I think there is no reason to postpone TF 5.0 why we will wait when we do not use the VR and in addition it was said that the VR will be added later in an upgrade of 5.1 etc. This is just my opinion . 😉 

V5.00 won't be delayed for VR as it isn't coming in that patch :)

2 minutes ago, Buffo002 said:

I think most players do not use VR, so I think there is no reason to postpone TF 5.0 why we will wait when we do not use the VR and in addition it was said that the VR will be added later in an upgrade of 5.1 etc. This is just my opinion . 😉 

Regarding introduction of VR I understand the argument refered to the majority of PC users. However do not underestimate the uncredible effect specially with flight simulators. I personally

use VR since two month and i have to say "there is no way return".

I have played CoD for long time with fun, but now only BoX gives me the real feeling of flight (more important than fight).      I will surely come back to CoD when VR is implemented, and I hope this will happen very soon.

1 hour ago, horsti said:

Regarding introduction of VR I understand the argument refered to the majority of PC users. However do not underestimate the uncredible effect specially with flight simulators. I personally

use VR since two month and i have to say "there is no way return".

I have played CoD for long time with fun, but now only BoX gives me the real feeling of flight (more important than fight).      I will surely come back to CoD when VR is implemented, and I hope this will happen very soon.

And this right here, why I think it is so important to introduce it as part of the next Update. 5.0 needs to be a commercial success. People that splash out on decent PC's and high end peripherals, to enjoy their flight sims, are not going to be shy when it comes to buying a £400 VR HMD with perfect one to one head tracking that fully immerses them in the simulation.

My fear is if that should 5.0 not be a commercial success with out VR, then 5.0 becomes the end of the line.

Edit: To clarify the above sentence, its because I want to see it succeed so that I can enjoy the game in VR. 

Edited by =FEW=Herne

Jesus, I can't afford VR, it's as simple as that!

I don't give a rats if they produce the next version without it.

What I don't understand is that people with VR are constantly telling us how the game will suffer because people with it probably won't buy it and they will sit it out until the dev's  'make it so'...

What about the scenario that VR users actually buy the damn thing to support the volunteers that are working their arses off to improve the bloody game!

Go back to flying with Trackir until the Dev's get the chance to introduce it later. I have no doubt they will get around to it.

Haven’t tried VR, but I assume not being able to see and find buttons on my physical controllers (stick, throttle quad, MFDs, custom panel) will ruin the ”immersion”. 

2 minutes ago, BB5000 said:

Haven’t tried VR, but I assume not being able to see and find buttons on my physical controllers (stick, throttle quad, MFDs, custom panel) will ruin the ”immersion”. 

I use the saitek x55 hotas. I actually really like the ergonomics of the stick and throttle. Even the toggle switches on the base of the throttle are easy to find "blind" you get to know their location and can identify where you are by touch. 

When you drive, you don't look at the gear stick before you change up or down. or even for the wiper, or indicator stalk when you need to use them.

• Upvote 1

We hope to implement VR as a patch after 5.0. We polled all the CloD communities and asked if they'd prefer VR with 5.0 but with at least a 6 month delay of our target release date. Overwhelmingly people wanted 5.0 first. 

So, once 5.0 comes out, VR is a top priority, we've publicly said it before and plan to stick with that.  Not only is it a large amount of code work,  but pretty significant work in the 3d and texture department for existing models. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

This is likely the flight sim project I am most excited about these days. Getting to fly the F4F/Martlett in a modern sim is something I've been waiting for since IL246 really started showing it's age. Even if there are no Zeroes to chase, I will be happy for quite a while. I really don't think VR support is going to make or break 5.0. This is the theater I hear about most on the BoX side of the forum after the Pacific, it's going to sell with the flight sim crowd.

I probably will never get VR because I'm scared of having that stuff on my brain..It's already screwed up enough lol

Edited by II./JG27_Rich

2 hours ago, II./JG27_Rich said:

I probably will never get VR because I'm scared of having that stuff on my brain..It's already screwed up enough lol

FBI reads all your brain info and scans it, they know everything about you and what you think when you wear it, there is rumor they can even control you.... and make you do things... :wacko:

• Like 1

On 7/6/2018 at 8:15 AM, peregrine7 said:

Fantastic work TFS! Always impressed. Any word at all on VR support? I appreciate that it's a mighty hurdle but it's still #1 in my book.

Ditto- I love all the improvements in CloD Blitz & look forward to what’s coming up in 5.0 ( SOON I hope,) but what I really want to see is VR access. I find myself sucked into BoX more & more ( now with Tank Crew & Flying Circus) simply because of the amazing effects of VR and coming down the line in the next year or so I’m sure Oculus Rift will have a new & improved version!😎

Quoting Buzzsaw from the ATAG forum:

"As has been mentioned, we did a survey of ATAG and other sites to determine if people were prepared to see a delay on the release of TF 5.0 of six months to allow implementation of VR.

A substantial majority of opinion was in favour of an earlier release of the module without VR.

We do intend to add VR to the game's capabilities... but it will be for TF 6.0 or as a patch for TF 5.0."

So a while yet before VR arrives.

• Thanks 1

Quick Question : - If I do not buy the expansion, will CloD blitz see any of the 5.0 improvements ? Is it kind of like BoX with everything in one install, or is it  going to be a separate game client ?

31 minutes ago, =FEW=Herne said:

Quick Question : - If I do not buy the expansion, will CloD blitz see any of the 5.0 improvements ? Is it kind of like BoX with everything in one install, or is it  going to be a separate game client ?

No, if you do not buy the expansion, Blitz will not change... and it will not be compatible with TF 5.0.

TF 5.0 will include all the aircraft from Blitz as well as the Channel map... it will not be stand alone though... you will need Blitz to play it... many of the new aircraft in TF 5.0 will actually only be intended for the Channel map.  Some examples:

Bf-109E-7 Temperate (non-Tropical)

Bf-109E-7NZ Temp
Bf-109F-1

Bf-109F-2 Temp

Bf-109F-4 Temp

Spitfire Va

Spitfire Vb Temp

Spitfire Vb--HF Temp  (High alt version with Merlin 46)

Hurricane IIA Temp

Hurricane IIB Temp

Hurricane IIC Temp

Gladiator II Temp

Dewoitine D.520- Early

Etc.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

TF 5.0 will include all the aircraft from Blitz as well as the Channel map... it will not be stand alone though... you will need Blitz to play it... 

Just to be sure, it will be like dlc on steam? You will see it on clod steam page and can buy it from there as dlc?

I also saw some complaints about 5.0 being pay for patches. Is expansion going to include patches and improvements that won't be available for base game if you don't buy expansion?

15 minutes ago, InProgress said:

Just to be sure, it will be like dlc on steam? You will see it on clod steam page and can buy it from there as dlc?

I also saw some complaints about 5.0 being pay for patches. Is expansion going to include patches and improvements that won't be available for base game if you don't buy expansion?

TF 5.0 will be a dlc on Steam... will also be on 1C's sales site.

TF 5.0 will be complete.... there will be no requirement to buy any additional addons or patches.

The only exception... we may release additional separate single player campaign packages to supplement the included single player campaigns which will come with TF 5.0.   These expansion SP Campaigns will require a purchase.  These will be those who primarily play SP... think Desastersoft's campaign packages for a comparison.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, tkcamp56tkcamp said:

VR is the only thing I'm looking forward to here. I wont fly it again till it has it, cant go back.

I would fall in that category also.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, BB5000 said:

It was not a problem for me at all, and now have been flying strictly in VR only since Jan 2017.

I mean I already had a HOTAS, I already had basically memorized most of my buttons actions I had assigned, I never really looked at my HOTAS whilst flying anyway keeping my eyes on the monitor.

So it was really a natural transition for me to the Oculus Rift. 

Especially in the WWII birds where there is not so much as say in modern jet aircraft like DCS, it is not that bad at all.

Been a while since I have checked up on the progress here, will keep checking every now and then for any updates to the progress in getting closer to VR.

S!

Good to see CloD is doing well under TF management. Installed it and was flying around in no time. Sure my GPU drivers might not be the most optimised for this title, but it runs well anyway. Waiting for 5.0 and beyond. Good luck to TF!

On 7/24/2018 at 2:56 PM, Trooper117 said:

Jesus, I can't afford VR, it's as simple as that!

In dCS many has payed a lot more for Ultrawide screens instead of VR .  Mainly because of the boundaries using the VR Goggles . I myself was utter disappointed by them in DCS. Yet, I got a feeling VR might be smoother now after a few patches . But the difficulty caused by the resolution was really the thing I was most concerned with. 

The immersion VR give can easily be replaced by other immersive things not compatible with VR , like panels or a replica cockpit . My point is , I do not think anyone knows how VR experience will be like in this game.

I liked VR in BOX series, all though it did not totally win me over, for me it is a neat thing I can do now and then. For FC I think it could be addictive. For COD, I am not sure. I settled for the fact that for some VR is a must and others is VR ...eh ...meh

Edited by LuseKofte

On 7/25/2018 at 7:48 PM, Buzzsaw said:

TF 5.0 will be a dlc on Steam... will also be on 1C's sales site.

TF 5.0 will be complete.... there will be no requirement to buy any additional addons or patches.

The only exception... we may release additional separate single player campaign packages to supplement the included single player campaigns which will come with TF 5.0.   These expansion SP Campaigns will require a purchase.  These will be those who primarily play SP... think Desastersoft's campaign packages for a comparison.

Hi,

Just to be sure that I understood

I already own Blitz : TF5.0 will bring nothing to my current game, ok, but will Blitz see some updates on day or not?

If I didn't own Blitz, I understand I need to buy Blitz AND TF5.0 in order to play only TF5.0 as TF5.0 is DLC of Blitz, right?

Finally, will the owners of only Blitz and the owners of Blitz + TF5.0 will be able to play together?

Thanks for the clairifcations!

BR

Good question actually, I also wonder if the people who don't own the Tobruck DLC will be able to play with others who don't, in other words will the map be part of the package or will it be free in order to not split the community in the same way that it's been done with Il-2 Bos BoM and BoK, so people basically just buy the planes and not the maps.

If you force people to buy the map to play the new content you inevitably divide the community, even tho everyone might just buy the DLC but I doubt it(I know I will), it would be a good way to lure some people in who might fly older planes at first like the BF 110 for example or some bomber that might fit in the Tobruck planeset and will be available on the map.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

I think map should be free at least for multiplayer or maybe even quick battles. But definitely for multiplayer. Even tho it may look weird to give people map that you worked so hard on for free but..

1. Keeping small community able to play together is important, if I buy expansion and want to play multi with people, but many won't have it, everyone will just sit in England and France. Africa will be dead which is unfair to people who paid for it.

2. Free sample of map for multiplayer will kind of force people to play it when map changes. He will see that he can only fly few planes he has from main game, enemy and allies will have better machines like bf109F2 and he will stuck flying old E4. So it may be tempting to get expansion to get all these cool and newer planes. It can also convince people to buy when they spend some time flying in Africa and watching how cool and fun it can be. Quite few games do that, Arma 3 will let you use some stuff like guns or be a passenger in dlc vehicle tho you will get annoying pop ups from time to time that thing you are using is dlc and if you like it, buy it.

Rising Storm for red orchestra 2 allowed everyone to be a simple rifleman, so everyone could play but if you wanted to get new classes like flamethrower, mg, sniper, commander etc. You had to buy expansion. And since people are kind of forced to play it after map changes, they will definitely want to be able to pick whatever they like, instead of being limited to one class or plane. 

Since its Africa and needs tropical version I guess, could be nice to give E7 or something like this + hurricane tropical versions for free as simple demo. So people in multi can pick 1 plane and play the map. Will definitely convince lots of them to buy it.

Your theory is based on that the majority of cutomers are in the MP crowd.

I for one think that is not the case.

41 minutes ago, theOden said:

Your theory is based on that the majority of cutomers are in the MP crowd.

I for one think that is not the case.

Not really, I said it many timestimes, that sp is more popular. But point it to keep multiplayer base not divided. Also mentioned quick battle as some demo. If someone does not play multi, could try expansion when flying in quick battle, perhaps as free flight only. Maybe even with any plane from clod just to look at map and see if he likes it. 

I think when someone has chance to try something before he buys it, he will more likely just try it and it make convince him to buy it. 

Free weekend also could be cool, tho I don't know how it would work for sim that requires joystick to play and mass of kids trying to play it and later crying in reviews that game is too hard, too old and WT is better. :rolleyes:

TF 5.0 (the technical name for the yet as un-named Tobruk/Desert based expansion) will be an expansion/addition DLC to "CoD - Blitz" allowing you to play Tobruk and Blitz with all the old and new aircraft, vehicles and extras as well as both maps.

If you don't buy TF 5.0, you will likely see some bug fixes and patches for Blitz, but you will not have access to the TF 5.0 aircraft or the Tobruk map and your game will not be compatible.

You cannot play TF 5.0 as a stand-alone.  You must own Blitz.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Thank you @Buzzsaw, it's clear now, S!

One last question throught, Lets say I don't own Tobruk but only Blitz, will I be able to continue to play with my friends who own Tobruk DLC (you said the game won't be compatible...)?

Thanks

Edited by NN_RugbyGoth

I got Cliffs of Dover on Steam when TF had their release. I played maybe an hour. The graphics look amazing. However had to continue on in BoX. I can’t see myself opening  up CoD until VR comes with it. Can’t go back. It’s somewhat akin to playing an Atari 2600 and having my PS4 available at anytime. No brainer. I’m looking forward to playing CoD but VR is a must. 

5 hours ago, Scratch666 said:

I got Cliffs of Dover on Steam when TF had their release. I played maybe an hour. The graphics look amazing. However had to continue on in BoX. I can’t see myself opening  up CoD until VR comes with it. Can’t go back. It’s somewhat akin to playing an Atari 2600 and having my PS4 available at anytime. No brainer. I’m looking forward to playing CoD but VR is a must. 

Boy do I share his view, but with the 5.00 I'll go back to play in between Vr-ing in BOx 7 will anxiously await Vr in CloD!

10 hours ago, NN_RugbyGoth said:

Thank you @Buzzsaw, it's clear now, S!

One last question throught, Lets say I don't own Tobruk but only Blitz, will I be able to continue to play with my friends who own Tobruk DLC (you said the game won't be compatible...)?

Thanks

You should be able to play Blitz with them... not 'Tobruk'.

What about the online servers ?

If a server is updated to Tobruk will it be impossible for those owning just Blitz to play in there ? Or will it happen simply that they will not be able to play the missions with Tobruk content (like it happened in 1946 when client and server hosted different maps and planes with same version of the game) ?

I am going to buy Tobruk for sure, but I am worried about the split in players population...

1 hour ago, FS_Fenice_1965 said:

I am going to buy Tobruk for sure, but I am worried about the split in players population... 

Yeah, me too : / will buy as soon as possible but i am worried that players who don't own it will be kicked out of server when it changes map. And it may be bad for population on africa servers if people will be kicked out.

VR or no VR I will buy Tobruk...any idea when we can pre-pay for it?

(BTW I have contributed to ATAG et al after each improvement on a level of what such new planes & improvements would have cost at BoX.)

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

VR or no VR I will buy Tobruk...any idea when we can pre-pay for it?

(BTW I have contributed to ATAG et al after each improvement on a level of what such new planes & improvements would have cost at BoX.)

Nobody really knows but we can hope it will be ready by the end of the year or something.