Fafnir_6

4k Ju52 Stab./KGrzbV9 Skin Pack

Hello all,

While playing the KGrzbV9 career in BoM, I realized that no historical skins existed for this unit in this sim.  The aircraft depicted in these skins is 4V+AB which is a Ju52 that hypothetically existed within Stab./KGrzbV9.  No photo references are available for this aircraft, so these skins are a historical fiction that employ knowledge of Luftwaffe fuselage coding conventions, photo references (and the career artwork in BoM) of the staff flight's crest and, more generally, the camo and squadron markings employed by KGrzbV9 (this pertains to the number 9 on the rudder and the extent of the yellow-painted areas on the airframe). I went out of my way to make this as realistic as possible.  If any photos come to light, I will make the necessary revisions.

The skin pack contains both summer and winter skins for 4V+AB and also contain versions including historically accurate swastikas as well as the politically correct symbols (Falschswastika) seen in the screenshots below.

Link is here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/dbrrjymppnos3/IL-2_BoX_4k_Skin_-_Ju52_StabKGrzbv9_4V%2BAB

Installation involves simply copying the .dds files from the link above into your\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins\Ju523mg4e directory

Since these are 4k skins I highly recommend using 6./ZG26_5tuka's normal map that can be found here:

I'd like to give a huge shout-out to Boo for all his insight, helpfulness and patience in dealing with a skinning noob like me (these are my first skins).  Also to 6./ZG26_5tuka for his glorious 4k Ju52 skin template, which actually makes skinning super-easy. Finally, thank you to 1.TG1_Nil for his support and suggestions for file uploading.  we have a truly awesome community here, and I plan to make more skins in the future.

Cheers and happy hauling!

Fafnir_6

2018_6_9__10_1_24.jpg

2018_6_9__10_8_13.jpg

2018_6_10__6_14_24.jpg

2018_6_10__6_19_20.jpg

Edited by Fafnir_6
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

Thank you so much @Fafnir_6 

Excellent job! I am dl them now!

Keep up skinning. The more you practice, the more you get better and faster.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fafnir_6 said:

I'd like to give a huge shout-out to Boo for all his insight, helpfulness and patience in dealing with a skinning noob like me (these are my first skins).  Also to 6./ZG26_5tuka for his glorious 4k Ju52 skin template, which actually makes skinning super-easy. Finally, thank you to 1.TG1_Nil for his support and suggestions for file uploading.  we have a truly awesome community here, and I plan to make more skins in the future.

Brilliant 'first skin'! Keep on and the world will be your lobster (as they say!!).

Edited by Raptorattacker

I was on day 10 of this career, huge difference. I feel like I'm really in KGrzbV 9 now.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Came across this, March-April 1941.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-395-1541-22A,_Rus

Edited by Lysus
  • Upvote 2

On 7/7/2018 at 6:31 PM, Lysus said:

Came across this, March-April 1941.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-395-1541-22A,_Rus

On the engine cowling!  I have seen a picture of this emblem under the canopy but apparently there was some variation in placement.  3./KGrzbV9 had their staffel emblems on the outer engine cowlings (#1 and #3 engines) but the others (the RODI emblem is for Stab./KGrzbV9) always seemed to show them under the canopy.  I still don't have a picture of 1./KGrzbV9's emblem...if that staffel even had one. Thanks for sharing...perhaps I will make an additional variant.

Thank you,

Fafnir_6

P.S. I am working on a 4./KGrzbV9 skin for the famous Stalingrad Airlift picture of 4V+CM.  The summer version is finished and I have completed the masking of the temporary winter paint (4V+CM didn't have the white applied across its entire airframe, there were unpainted areas aft of the engine cowlings).  What remains is to weather the masked white paint.

Edited by Fafnir_6
  • Upvote 1