Nil

Battle of Britain for IL2 Great Battles ?

There was a thread a while ago about discussion of a 'Battle of France' release, which actually came across as having a lot of potential.

BoF will probably never happen but a Battle of Britain scenario with a balanced RAF/LW set, supplemented with a handful of French, Dutch and Polish aircraft, could cover the first two years of the war quite well.

Add a few more varied 1941 types and we've got the first three years. 

Get this third-party team on it, cover some more timeframes over some more theatres and then we can start talking about the 'Spirit of 46'...

My greatest hope is that Team Fusion would be used to re-create CloD in the GBS engine and be brought on to continue their career professionally. Effectively abandoning the CloD engine for the more powerful Digital Warfare Engine.

I know it wont happen, but to have all WWII theaters in the GBS engine is my greatest dream and as I see it CloD is a blockade to that. 

I still enjoy CloD though and play it....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Absolutely no interest here in the BoB or basically anything Channel related.

Reasoning:
The Western Front in general has been overrepresented in aviation history for decades, and so it is in aviation related videogames.
My approach to a game like this is a very historical one and I feel many interesting scenarios, gamewise and historically, are disregarded in favor of the nth "Spit, Mustang & 109". It's actually not about those specific planes, but the way of thinking about them. All of them were operational in Italy 1943-45 for example, but most people purely associate them with the Western Front. It's just one example and while I think Italy 1944 would be the best Mediterranean-themed scenario it isn't among my top three. But it's a good example for how promising scenarios are disregarded.

Maybe I'm just looking at it from the wrong perspective. Maybe people/customers really just want the nth iteration of stereotypical scenarios (or they are simply ignorant scenariowise) - I don't judge anyone, but I don't get the appeal of the nth BoB over (in order):

1. Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre (in order):
    (Papua) New Guinea
    Burma
    Solomon Islands
  2. Spanish Civil War
  3. Northern Front*
  4. Italy (mainland)

*: I'd hope for more than just Murmansk; would be second if we didn't have three Eastern Front installments already

BTW: It's not my business, but why has this topic been moved into "Suggestions"-subforum? I don't see any suggestion here; it's a discussion, if anything a poll. 

Edited by =27=Davesteu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes, I would love to see the new Battle of Britain, only the complex bomber control attracted me in Clod

But, please PTO first

:biggrin:

BoB is on top of my wish list, but as others already have stated, it's very unlikely due to the competition

with Team Fusion. Same is probably true for North Africa - unless Team Fusion terminates the project (likely IMHO).

An viable alternative to BoB could be Benelux/France 1940 or Denmark/Norway 1940.

I think because of CloD, a Battle of Britian sim would be appropriate perhaps on the next generation of IL2 after the CloD lifespan ends. But now, I don't see a reason to have it in Great Battles as CloD still does it fairly well.

• Like 1

I think there is some lack of clarity here in what CloD is.

Some people might be talking about the old version, some might be talking about the Blitz version, and even those might not be talking about the possible evolution that's happened or coming in future (just their experience of it last December, for example).

Personally this is a big nostalgia trip getting back into flight sims, and I'm very happy to be on different fronts to what I know... As stated above the BoB scenario is very stereotypical (and would be my staple). BUT, when looking at CloD Blitz videos the other day I got feelings that BoX could never give me... lots of childhood emotions, and not to mention the sight of a spitfire flying over my home in London on a historical map (where everything looks different!). To me, it looks like CloD Blitz will tick that box well enough, graphics look fine, campaigns in the works, VR a possiblity and so on.

I think a Great Battles BoB ideas are a waste of time personally, and yes I agree with one poster, I think it's a shame we can't render hundreds of planes to make it the real deal. Better to wait 10+ years for these 2 games to run their course and then see what happens for the next gen of flight sims plus VR.

I would however be interested in the China air war! ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, MeeGee said:

Some people might be talking about the old version, some might be talking about the Blitz version, and even those might not be talking about the possible evolution that's happened or coming in future (just their experience of it last December, for example).

Personally this is a big nostalgia trip getting back into flight sims, and I'm very happy to be on different fronts to what I know... As stated above the BoB scenario is very stereotypical (and would be my staple). BUT, when looking at CloD Blitz videos the other day I got feelings that BoX could never give me... lots of childhood emotions, and not to mention the sight of a spitfire flying over my home in London on a historical map (where everything looks different!). To me, it looks like CloD Blitz will tick that box well enough, graphics look fine, campaigns in the works, VR a possiblity and so on.

Er...talking of lack of clarity, do you actually have Cliff's?

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Er...talking of lack of clarity, do you actually have Cliff's?

Er... good question.

I guess you would be asking for many reasons. But I suppose the fact I don't have it can be deduced from my childhood nostalgia experience I mentioned when watching videos. A few other language and tone clues are there.

But the key point here is, are people assessing Clod based on the new version or the old version? Are they up to date with what it offers/may offer very soon when using that as a judgement whether or not an il2 BoB would be worth it.

The secondary point may be that I don't know the game so I can't pass any judgement so none of my opinion on whether it ticks the right boxes is valid, but to be honest I'm more interested in what others have to say who do know the game... the Blitz version, and that being part of the discussion.

Ultimately my opinion is that due to CloD Blitz being in existence, any ideas of a great battles version of BoB are not worth thinking about purely because it's not going to be made due good business economics. I love that time period, I was obsessed with it during my youth, I would love an awesome battle of britain game, with all the trimmings and vast air battles, but my opinion is that none of this is going to happen any time soon. So, I'm cautiously optimistic for when I will fire up CloD Blitz for the first time after a few more updates ;)   ... I have been quite forgiving of il2 BoX so far, so I expect to do more of the same so I can engage with the good parts that remain...

Edited by MeeGee

2 hours ago, MeeGee said:

Some people might be talking about the old version, some might be talking about the Blitz version, 

Why? Blitz is the same old CloD 4.312 - with pluses and minus, but not radically different, and fail in be a "Blitz"  - the German nights attacks - game due lack of properly conditions for night operations, still the lights issues, "psychedelics" nights, temperamental searchlights... :)

36 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

Why? Blitz is the same old CloD 4.312 - with pluses and minus, but not radically different, and fail in be a "Blitz"  - the German nights attacks - game due lack of properly conditions for night operations, still the lights issues, "psychedelics" nights, temperamental searchlights... :)

ohhh, I didn't know that, I thought it was like a rework of some sort.. ;)

39 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

for night operations, still the lights issues, "psychedelics" nights, temperamental searchlights... :)

CLoD Blitz edition; the musical

12 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

CLoD Blitz edition; the musical

Awesome, I'm looking forward to trying it out even more now ;)

To be honest there is something about playing "old" games (or buggy games in an old genre with no flashy UI) that is kind of nostalgic too, haha

Posted (edited)

I like CLOD, so much so, that I don't get why so many people hate it. And frankly, I think that the Battle of Britain has been done to death. Pacific, China, B-29's over Japan, there's so much about the air battles during the Second World War that hasn't been done. Why do the same old damn things over and over again.

Edited by Poochnboo
spelling
  • Upvote 2

I’ll just limit it to this:

The plan is that Jason will let Team Fusion go to the Med and pretty much anywhere for future expansions and see what they have to offer, while he and the devs of 1CGS will go to the Pacific for future expansions. He has stated that it’s not right to go to a place where another team is simultaneously going as people would only buy One game.

After the Pacific, and/or after they have nothing left to do, and if there is a great interest by the community, AND if the 1C has the resources to properly do the Battle of Britain and Med, then they’ll go to the Battle of Britain and Mediterranean, but for now. NO.

I don’t really see why so many people HATE CloD as in a quote by Jason Williams “ together both series will give you many options for gameplay and awesome content to enjoy.”

I mean, who cares if IL-2 GBs doesn’t have a particular battle/map because in recent patches, the Svalbard and Frank Josef land have to been added to IL-2 1946 and no one’s complained about that. IMO that would be a waste of resources to do the two maps when they could spend those resources on much more important things.

If IL-2 Cliffs of Dover ENDs after TF 5.0 Tobruk then we’re going to be missing out many things like flying a Fairey Swordfish against the Bismarck, flyable Fw-200 and Sunderland, Walrus seaplane, and Much, Much more😢😢😢. I hope that doesn’t happen.

Looking at the amount of likes that the Battle of Britain should be included in IL-2 GBs, it appears that there is a great interest by the community.

If anyone hasn’t yet, I would recommend looking at the recent Team Fusion Updates for TF 5.0 because I think they’re amazing and that the Tobruk expansion will be very enjoyable😇

Thank you.

• Like 1

Yes Battle of Britain would be a welcome addition. I would buy it. Clod is antiquated and will never support VR with detailed cockpits etc.

You would have to be a masochist to go back to previous era games like that on a flat screen after experiencing IL2 in VR. 

later..

OK I eat my words. Clod seems to have a skilled team working on it actively and VR is planned eventually. 

Well once it supports VR I would not hesitate to buy it. 

Edited by ZenBird
  • Upvote 2

I would like to have 2 versions of Normandy, beginning and end of the war.
With the corresponding aircraft of course.

Beginning of the war for the battle of England, and end of the war with the addition of the wall of the Atlantic and the preparation of the dday and the after dday.

If the next BOX is not the pacific, I think it could be a profitable opus for the IL2 series.

Normandy is a wish that comes very often.

But a BOx about southern italy sicily malta would also be welcome and would allow the appearance of aircraft carriers in the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1