InProgress

Tobruk new planes

Trololo :lol: just a speculations, not official topic.

What do you think africa will bring? 

I am counting on hs129, ju52, bf109F, bf110E, do17 player controlled, maybe something Italian like mc202 and their bomber that is already in game but player controlled.

From allies, p39, 40 would be nice, spitfire V. Don't really know what else can they get.. mosquito maybe :P

no chance...109f and spit v and hurricane 2bc and some stupid martlet which is carrier plane without actual carrier to fly from...p40 would have been much better choice...they had someone doing 202 or 205 but of course he was too stupid to be part of team f. meantime you can fly all most those planes in gbs 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Ste_Smith said:

no chance...109f and spit v and hurricane 2bc and some stupid martlet which is carrier plane without actual carrier to fly from...p40 would have been much better choice...they had someone doing 202 or 205 but of course he was too stupid to be part of team f. meantime you can fly all most those planes in gbs 

@InProgress, the Hs 129 wouldn't be appropriate for the theatre, neither would the P-39 or the Mosquito. The Ju-52 probably wouldn't be flown by many, same with the Dornier as the Ju-88 and He-111 are already in the game. The Italian bomber (the BR-20) is already player controlled in the game.

The P-40 is also confirmed, 2 versions in fact (C and E). I think 202 will be in there as well.

109F, Spit V, Hurricane II, Wellington, Gladiator, and CR42 are the other ones coming in the patch.

Here's what TF have said they are hoping to include:

German

Bf108 Taifun Advanced Trainer

Bf109E-7 (DB601Aa)
Bf109E-7N (DB601N)
Bf109E-7NZ (DB601N with GM-1 Nitrous Oxide injection)
(and Tropical versions)

Me109F-1 with MG/FFM (DB601N)
Me109F-2 with MG151/15mm (DB601N)
Me109F-2 with MG151/20mm (DB601N)
Me109F-2 with MG151/20mm Tropical (DB601N)
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.30ata)
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.30ata) Tropical
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.42ata)
Me109F-4 (DB601E 1.42ata) Tropical
Me109F-4/R1 Flugelgondelbewaffnung mit MG 151/20 (DB601E 1.42ata, underwing 20mm gunpods)
Me109F-4/R1 Flugelgondelbewaffnung mit MG 151/20 Tropical (DB601E 1.42ata, underwing 20mm gunpods)
(no we will not have the version with 15mm gunpods... only used on Russian Front)

Ju-88A-4
Ju-88A-5

Ju-88C-2 (possibly)

Heinkel He-111H-6 Torpedo bomber (possibly)

Italian

Fiat CR-42
Fiat CR-42 Fighter-Bomber

Macchi C-202 Series III (hopefully)
Macchi C-202 Series VIII (hopefully)

French

Dewoitine D.520 (Hispano 12Y45 engine)
Dewoitine D.520 (Hispano 12Y49 high altitude)

British

Gladiator II (with Tropical filter)

Spitfire IIB (IIA with two 20mm cannon, four .303)
Spitfire VA (eight .303 +12 boost)
Spitfire VB (+12 boost)
Spitfire VB (+16 boost)
Spitfire VB (Merlin 46 High Altitude)
Spitfire VB Tropical (+16 boost)
Spitfire VB Tropical (Merlin 46 High Altitude)

Hurricane IIA (eight .303)
Hurricane IIB (twelve .303)
Hurricane IIB Fighter-Bomber
Hurricane IIC (four 20mm)
Hurricane IIC Light Fighter (two 2Omm)
Hurricane IID Tankbuster (possibly)
(plus Tropical versions of all)

Beaufighter Mk IF - Late (with Hercules XI)
Beaufighter Mk IC (with Hercules XI, bombs)
(and versions with Tropical filters)

Wellington IA
Wellington IC (with waist gun positions)
(and versions with Tropical filters)

Blenheim IV/IF with Tropical filters

American

P-40C (Tomahawk IIB)
P-40E (Kittyhawk IA)
(Will be early and late versions of both these aircraft... different boost levels.)

Martlet IIIB

(From here: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25345)

Edited by ATAG_Flare
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 11:51 PM, Ste_Smith said:

You`re wrong man. The Martlet is not a stupid plane. It stants in the shadow ( like the Hurricane, P-40, and others) of more famous planes like P-51`s, Spitfires, but has it part in the history.

9_11.jpg

466fe27f1dbd1fb26d043fa871b09199.jpg

3901622.JPG

grumman_martlet_1_ax733-k.jpeg

Martlet_IIIs_805_NAS_in_North_Africa_1941.jpg

wc1-Martlet-III-3876.jpg

Edited by Larry69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

As Larry says, Martlet is the Navy Fighter of the Western Desert.

Being a fixed wing batch from a Greek order never delivered they shouldn't go onto a carrier to start with so it's not necessary to complain over that.

I can see it won't be first choice of the MP player needing to win his/her online score but from a singleplayer perspective it's very valuable.

4 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

Hs 129 wouldn't be appropriate for the theatre, neither would the P-39 or the Mosquito. The Ju-52 probably wouldn't be flown by many, same with the Dornier as the Ju-88 and He-111 are already in the game.

I read that hs129, p39 and maybe Mosquito but i am not sure, were in africa, tho I don't know if during time of which this expansion will take place.

I don't really get these arguments, "wouldn't be flown by many". In multi? Maybe. Single? Would be really popular, devs have advantage to see what sells in BoX. If BoX is going to get russian transport then ju52 was success and they find it worth to make another one. Also if we are going to get bf108...

"it was primarily used as a personnel transport and liaison aircraft."

It's like small ju52.

Same goes for Do17, why wouldn't people fly it? Because there is better he111 or ju88? It's not about the best plane to fly, it's like I16 in BoX, people still fly it, it's fun and it does not matter that they could pick mig3 over i16.

The more planes we get the better :)I don't really fly fighters, mostly stick with bf110 or ju87. Would love to get ju52 in CloD, even as premium. Just like i paid 20$ to get it in BoX i would pay 20$ to buy it in CloD. Maybe it does not seem like it but there is a lot of people who like logistic part of war.

Flying back with heavly damaged plane, wounded, trying to get back to base. Where AAA guns are your biggest enemy, it's actually really great :salute:

Also really nice list. Glad they are making french, italian, american planes as well. Martlet gives me hope that one day we can get a carrier to take off from.

IIRC, the Hs-129 went to Africa to combat Operation Torch in 1943, while the siege of Tobruk was in 1941.

13 hours ago, InProgress said:

hs129, p39 and maybe Mosquito but i am not sure, were in africa,

All this planes serves in North Africa, but not in 1941 - Siege of Tobruk.

D.520 in Tobruk is a kind of "Fw 190 over Stalingrad" - contemporaneous of the action there, but assigned far away.

Edited by Sokol1

2 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

All this planes serves in North Africa, but not in 1941 - Siege of Tobruk.

D.520 in Tobruk is a kind of "Fw 190 over Stalingrad" - contemporaneous of the action there, but assigned far away.

TFS is adding the 520 though for potential Battle of France scenarios though as far as I know, just as the non-trop versions of the Spitfire V and 109F will be for Channel scenarios in 41 rather than Tobruk.

3 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

I imagine that the D.520 is being added with the Battle of France in mind, rather than Tobruk.

On 02/04/2018 at 2:51 PM, Ste_Smith said:

Once again your facts are incorrect.

You should really take the time to read the updates which have been posted here as well as on the ATAG forum.  ;)

Two types of P-40's will be included in TF 5.0... the P-40C/Tomahawk IIB and the P-40E/Kittyhawk IA.  Both in early and late versions.

And we continue to have someone working on the Macchi C-202... there will be two versions of this type,  the Fiat CR 42 will also be flyable, and likely the Fiat G-50bis version.

Your information about the Martlet is incorrect.  This was an aircraft which was present in the desert, and which flew there in combat... the version there did not have folding wings and was not a carrier capable type.  These were aircraft originally destined for the Greek Air Force but which were taken over by the British after Greece fell.

There will be Hurricane IIA's, IIB's, IIC's and IID's.   Spit IIB's/VA's and VB's.  109E-7's, E-7NS's, 109F-1's, F-2's and F-4's.

Flyable Wellington IA's and IC's.  Ju-88A-4's/A-5's as well as Torpedo carrying Heinkel IIIH's.

Also two versions of the Dewoitine D.520, (early and late) this plane flew in Syria as well as in Metropolitan France... we hope to have an additional desert map which can cover Syria.

As well as various other types...

Edited by Buzzsaw
  • Like 2

@up

I am glad you guys are focusing on mediterranean, syria is a bit far away from africa, shame it won't be one big map combined. But maybe one day we will see entire coast of africa up to syria :D personally i am counting in malta and kreta

11 hours ago, ATAG_Flare said:

TFS is adding the 520 though for potential Battle of France scenarios though as far as I know, just as the non-trop versions of the Spitfire V and 109F will be for Channel scenarios in 41 rather than Tobruk.

The following planes released with TF 5.0 will be intended for exclusive use on the Channel map:

Spitfire IIB

Spitfire VA

109F-1

And of course, the 190A-1/A-2/A-3 will be exclusively for the Channel map when they appear.

And the tropical versions of the various types will not be intended for use on the Channel map... neither will field mods like the two cannon 'light fighter' version of the Hurricane IIC which was used in the Med.  Neither should the 'strafer' version of the Blenheim IV be used on the Channel map.

• Upvote 1

I already knew most of the planeset with one or two exeptions.

This is going to be great :salute:

I know bombers are a pain in the ass to make but my hope is that one day to top it all off we get a flyable Dornier, since I heard Hanna Reitsch talking about it I want one! :cool:

Don't get me wrong I'd already be more than happy to spend some money to fly these marvels, hell we even get the opportunity to fly some iconic early US planes the Wildcat and the Tomahawk as far as I'm concerned are dream planes.

On 03/04/2018 at 8:00 AM, theOden said:

As Larry says, Martlet is the Navy Fighter of the Western Desert.

Being a fixed wing batch from a Greek order never delivered they shouldn't go onto a carrier to start with so it's not necessary to complain over that.

I can see it won't be first choice of the MP player needing to win his/her online score but from a singleplayer perspective it's very valuable.

It surely won't be the first choice of people who live for online stats and don't have the mental resource or the need to challenge themselves.

The harder it is the more rewarding and fun when it's easy it quickly gets boring, to me at least.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy
typo

Hopefully progress is still being made with this, right? I'm tempted to ask the question "Roughly how much longer?" but I won't. Promise. 

They wouldn't give us the date but admitted that there is a date that has been fixed.

Could be a month or 2 or 3.

I'm excited about new hardware and geography as well, but I hope, at some point, TF can turn their attention to improving what I consider a pretty thin SP environment. I got my answer about the QMB but am very curious about any plans for campaigns,  single missons, etc, etc...

The reason for the lack of Single player missions and Campaigns is because of the issues with the AI. We have plans to include mission packs and campaigns but have not started that because it would require changing a lot of them once the AI fix is complete. So once the AI is fixed, we can start on that. 

• Thanks 4

Hurricane IIc June 1941 started to see service:

Later 41 plane was used as night fighter.

Spring 1942 Plane was used.

As one of 43 Squadron's night intruder pilots Harry Lea puts it:

"The Hurricane IIC was a splendid aircraft for the job in hand. It had range with its two 45 gallon wing drop tanks, excellent armament with four 20 mm cannon, and it was a tough, solid aircraft that could withstand a great deal of punishment and still survive. This later point was proved at the Dieppe Raid when we suffered severely from ground fire and all but two aircraft returned, of which five sustained varying degrees of damage, one of these you would wonder how it managed to stay in the air".

Therefore successful night intruder pilots would position themselves behind the enemy, so as to escape observation, and a little above or below, so as to hit the fuselage, and the usual mode of attack would be to tuck in close and fire from a distance of 100-200 yards.

Use of cannon could be colourful. Godfrey ball of 43 Squadron recalls:

"When shooting up trains, the cannon shells would ricochet from both the engine strikes and from the permanent way (if you undershot when aiming at the guard's van) and looked remarkably like flak- blue, red, green and white. It almost seemed at times as if I were going to fly into my own bullets!".

Edited by No.238_BlacKnight

Torpedo carrying Heinkel IIIH's. Is this a history lesson, or what we get? 

Was it not in this time Beufighters  also carried Torpedoes or was that in 42

On 04/04/2018 at 11:19 AM, Buzzsaw said:

The following planes released with TF 5.0 will be intended for exclusive use on the Channel map:

Spitfire IIB

Spitfire VA

109F-1

And of course, the 190A-1/A-2/A-3 will be exclusively for the Channel map when they appear.

And the tropical versions of the various types will not be intended for use on the Channel map... neither will field mods like the two cannon 'light fighter' version of the Hurricane IIC which was used in the Med.  Neither should the 'strafer' version of the Blenheim IV be used on the Channel map.

its going to be inforced that those planes only can be used on those maps???

as for other list how come most of that u dont show pics???i mean i can say i plan on a mod to release lancaster stirling halifax and you cant prove otherwise...not saying i am obvs  

On 04/04/2018 at 6:10 AM, Buzzsaw said:

Your information about the Martlet is incorrect.  This was an aircraft which was present in the desert, and which flew there in combat... the version there did not have folding wings and was not a carrier capable type.  These were aircraft originally destined for the Greek Air Force but which were taken over by the British after Greece fell.

not really...martlet in the main was and is regarded naval plane and fact that urs is from greece doesnt really change what i said...besides the guy who actually made the plane spiritus said in the other thread it is carrier capable...seems i am not only one who needs to read more lol...

Martlet Mk III[

The first 30 F4F-3As were released for sale to Greece, after the Italian invasion in November 1940. However, at the defeat of Greece in April 1941 the aircraft had only reached Gibraltar. They were taken over by the FAA as Martlet Mk III(B). As these aircraft did not have folding wings, they were only used from land bases. They served in a shore-based role in the Western Desert.

Edited by Haza

19 minutes ago, Ste_Smith said:

its going to be inforced that those planes only can be used on those maps???

Good, you can't fly fw190 in moscow 1941 in BoX, why would you be able to fly a plane that was never in africa there? You will probably be able in quick mission etc, but not in official missions.

2 minutes ago, InProgress said:

Good, you can't fly fw190 in moscow 1941 in BoX, why would you be able to fly a plane that was never in africa there? You will probably be able in quick mission etc, but not in official missions.

in that case dead shud be dead...die once and u cant fly ever again... and yes u can fly any plane on any map in great battles and clod is not gbs anyway??? im not talking about official missions anyway team f have never made any yet...

Like i said you can fly in box any plane on any map but you CANT fly for example bf109 G6 on moscow map... i am pretty sure you will be able to fly anything you want in quick battle in clod. But why the hell would devs make africa planes available in england and other way around in multi or campaigns?

Are you sure you want to play IL2? if you are looking for all the planes mixed together, even from diffrent countries in 1 team, then maybe war thunder is better choice for you?

In general I hope TFS allow misplaced planes for what-if scenarios.

That realism you're getting angry about should be in the hands of the mission designer, not the simgame.

Edited by theOden
  • Upvote 1

Plane selection will be up to the map builders, just like it is now. 

Regarding the Martlet, our variant were not intended for use on carriers but could be considered carrier capable, meaning they have the needed equipment for carrier operations. 

Martlet I's did not have the capability to be carrier based. The Martlet II's were the first variant that could be and were used on Royal carriers, with HMS Audacity with Num. 802 squadron. Martlet III's did not have the folding wing, so were use from land bases with Num. 805 squadron. That is historical. 

If we had a carrier, then sure, the Martlet we have made could land on it and be used from it, it just wouldn't be historical. The main reasoning being the absence of the folding wing, and the tail wheel is different than carrier based Martlets/Wildcats. 

Edited by 69thSpiritus_Mortem

understood thx...not sure why that guy is getting his pantys in a bunch...if you want realism join the air force and do it for real...pmsl

1 hour ago, Ste_Smith said:

understood thx...not sure why that guy is getting his pantys in a bunch...if you want realism join the air force and do it for real...pmsl

Are you talking to me? I simply gave you an answer and you are acting like a brat. I said you will be able to do whatever you want in quick battles, doing your own scenarios with ww1 plane vs me 262 if there will be any.. what don't you understand? The campaigns and carieer is something that should be realistic and will be (unless you make your own made up in editor). And to want a historical game i don't need to join air force. After all it's a SIM, kind of normal thing to want realism, don't you think?

Edited by InProgress

41 minutes ago, InProgress said:

Are you talking to me? I simply gave you an answer and you are acting like a brat. I said you will be able to do whatever you want in quick battles, doing your own scenarios with ww1 plane vs me 262 if there will be any.. what don't you understand? The campaigns and carieer is something that should be realistic and will be (unless you make your own made up in editor). And to want a historical game i don't need to join air force. After all it's a SIM, kind of normal thing to want realism, don't you think?

I'm sure that any official TFS-supplied missions will have the correct planes, and most servers will probably also have correct planesets. Don't be too worried.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, InProgress said:

lol...i was responding to the go play warthunder jibe...given team f have not released any actual missions i dont know what u are whining about it is a sim yes...it is also a game...i asked q coz i want to be able to do what ever i want with game i paid for if that makes me a brat so be it

On 10.04.2018 at 1:17 PM, 69thSpiritus_Mortem said:

That is historical. 

Not sure if I skipped info about it, but are you planning or considering fw190? I think I saw some info about fw190 A1 but now I am not sure.

1 hour ago, InProgress said:

Not sure if I skipped info about it, but are you planning or considering fw190? I think I saw some info about fw190 A1 but now I am not sure.

FW is planned for the channel map, but would strongly suspect that it would come after Africa.

On ‎04‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 7:10 AM, Buzzsaw said:

There will be Hurricane IIA's, IIB's, IIC's and IID's.   Spit IIB's/VA's and VB's.  109E-7's, E-7NS's, 109F-1's, F-2's and F-4's.

Great stuff! If we can integrate it into a 1941-1942 "lean over the channel into europe" scenario with all necessary planes to have material for circuses, rhubarbs, etc. and have the early FW 190s that´l be great!

We are planning to add the FW190A after TF 5.0 is finished... either in a 5.5 type smaller addition or as part of TF 6.0.

The models will include the rarely seen FW 190A-1 and A-2 with the BMW-801C engine and the different armaments from the later types.

We will also include the FW 190A-3/A-4 with the BMW-801D engine, the four cannon and Fighter-Bomber capacity.

At the same time as we add the FW190A we will also add the early Spitfire IX... the 'F' model with the +15 boost Merlin 61 engine.

There will also be some other new types... including the 109G, as well as certain to this point un-named Allied types... please stay tuned for Spiritus's updates.  ;)

9 hours ago, 69thSpiritus_Mortem said:

Fw-190 is the #1 priority aircraft after 5.0. 

Awesome! One of my favorite plane of all times :) a bit scared about 1 and 2, but can't wait for my favorite A3. I remember watching some video about front window in BoS, that it does not look like it should or some other problems with it. And devs can't simulate it correct, not really sure now. Will it be the same just like in BoX or for CloD you will do it right?

oh, here it is:

Edited by InProgress
  • Like 1