Ungern-Sternberg

[MOD] Old sky color

This mod brings back the sky color from the pre-3.0 game version.

I really don't like the new sky color, it's oversaturated, candy-like; it doesn't look like the winter sky I see outside the window. Old sky color was better, more life like - and more "gray war day"-like, not "colorful kids game"-like ;)

I didn't touch any of the files, they're taken from previous game version.

old_sky_color.zip

Use JSGME to install it.

Btw, anyone knows in what dds format are the skydome.dds files?

Before:

after1.thumb.jpg.7ef3f4836d48c8221ab87742cc6eac9f.jpg

after2.thumb.jpg.f7c29b1845ecd00f2cfdbd8be1033c03.jpg

After:

before1.thumb.jpg.1fc5d0234c7fdbd989c8ed8e76a6de77.jpg

before2.thumb.jpg.69ff62dbef81c4f484c6a4d9f35df244.jpg

Edited by Ungern-Sternberg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 7

any chance of a before and after comparison? I don't remember a difference but I'm all for realism!

6 hours ago, OrLoK said:

any chance of a before and after comparison? I don't remember a difference but I'm all for realism!

I'll do this later today. You can basically look at any pre-3.0 video on youtube to see how it looked like - more like a real life sky, especially winter sky, brighter and less saturated.

• Upvote 1

prob me being lazy but often when I'm trolling for mods I take a quick peek and move on. I'm happy with the current sky but if I had a quick view of your tweak I'd be more inclined to grab it passing through, perhaps others would do the same ;)

are you just tweaking sky or will there be other hue tweaks?

looking forward to the comparison images!

Edited by OrLoK

I understand, I also don't like seeing mods without screenshots.

The only thing I did in this mod is bringing back few sky files from the previous version (especially skydome.dds), I didn't tweak anything in them. It should be very close to the old sky - very close because there were other files changed by the developers in the new version, and I didn't touch them. I'm quite happy with the effect, especially in comparison to the new sky, so I don't think I'll change anything else. I've wanted also to try to modify the new skydome.dds, but I've a problem with the file format - I don't know how to export the dds in the same format.

Think i prefer the new one too. But thanks for providing a choice. :salute:

Edited by kendo

Thanks for your hard work in sharing this. IMHO the old one looks more realistic and I like it best, but I will switch back and forth because I like the new one also. It is good to have the choice Sir. Thanks again.

S!Blade<><

Great work! I play MP so can't install this but seeing them side by side does make the new sky look cartoony. 

I think the issue is that it is oversaturated (duh) but also that it is too green and not dark enough when looking nearer to straight up.

I wonder if it's possible to make a version of the mod so that the sky is new ("acidic"), but there were no drops in the clouds? This would be useful for winter maps.

2 hours ago, FoxbatRU said:

I wonder if it's possible to make a version of the mod so that the sky is new ("acidic"), but there were no drops in the clouds? This would be useful for winter maps.

Yes, it is possible to remove the canopy water. The textures can be made transparent, removing the effect entirely. Alternatively, they can be replaced by something that looks like icing (a nice alternative on winter maps). 

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Upvote 2

On 3/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, Ungern-Sternberg said:

Old sky color was better, more life like - and more "gray war day"-like, not "colorful kids game"-like

I wouldn't put it better, thanks for sharing :)

Great thanks for finding this.
Pitty it wont work with mods off.

I dont like the new colour its just the wrong blue 😄

(Not because of saturation as i use reshade to add much more colour to a very bland game colour pallet,
Its funny you turn off Reshade and it feels like you had a stroke game goes so grey and bland like im looking at world through City pollution)

good mod! i like the old sky better, can it be used with mods off mode?

27 minutes ago, 19//SAG said:

good mod! i like the old sky better, can it be used with mods off mode?

There is no accepted method to use any mods with mods off.

4 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

There is no accepted method to use any mods with mods off.

Not really, my mod and 3d migoto mod work in mods off mode

7 minutes ago, 19//SAG said:

Not really, my mod and 3d migoto mod work in mods off mode

It may be possible to use a "mods on" mod with "mods off", but I meant that it would be considered a cheat/exploit by some.

6 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

It may be possible to use a "mods on" mod with "mods off", but I meant that it would be considered a cheat/exploit by some.

Ahh ok, i guess you're right then, though i dont see how changing the voices to english may be considered as cheating 😅

1 minute ago, 19//SAG said:

Ahh ok, i guess you're right then, though i dont see how changing the voices to english may be considered as cheating 😅

It's just that the method to change the sky colour could easily be repurposed to make enemy planes appear bright red, for example.

36 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

It's just that the method to change the sky colour could easily be repurposed to make enemy planes appear bright red, for example.

i get what you're saying and I agree, i was not being sarcastic :salute:

30 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

Dont see how no matter what colour you make the sky it wont effect plane skins or the light they reflect really.

Still think there needs to be mods allowed with mods off mode in MP (that will not effect gameplay or fairness)
and those that give unfair advantage only allowed with mods on. (would be easy for devs to check a mod in some cases only seconds of looking at files in the mod)

Eg, Sound mod mentioned above can give no advantage so its fine nobody mentally sane could call it an exploit.
4K grass, 4K trees, 4K runway, Improved Graphics options & textures and so on all should be allowed with mods off as not exploitable.

Also as its not an MMO With Competition driving its Game model but simply a Simulator be lucky if 5-10% of the game population would even consider cheating with like 2-5% of them willing to do it and risk account.

59 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

Dont see how no matter what colour you make the sky it wont effect plane skins or the light they reflect really.

If you have a way to change the sky texture, you can also change aircraft textures. The mechanism for loading a texture is always the same.

1 hour ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

Still think there needs to be mods allowed with mods off mode in MP (that will not effect gameplay or fairness)
and those that give unfair advantage only allowed with mods on. (would be easy for devs to check a mod in some cases only seconds of looking at files in the mod)

No, it would not be easy. First, the developers would need to implement a mod signature system to block certain mods while permitting others. Then, they would need to appoint/hire a 'mod police' to filter mods. Neither task is trivial when the team has limited resources.

58 minutes ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

If you have a way to change the sky texture, you can also change aircraft textures. The mechanism for loading a texture is always the same.

No, it would not be easy. First, the developers would need to implement a mod signature system to block certain mods while permitting others. Then, they would need to appoint/hire a 'mod police' to filter mods. Neither task is trivial when the team has limited resources.

Ahh no sorry, The Sky textures are located in \data\graphics\sky\summer or winter.
The plane skins and textures are located in \data\graphics\skins & \data\graphics\Planes (only bumpmaps can be added here with mods off)

No File changes made to \data\graphics\sky\summer or winter if they were allowed with Mods off (like plane skins) would or could have any effect on the planes skins/textures or their visible at all really, About the only thing i could see would be to make the sun shine red beams or something silly.
Just like with current plane skins in Mods off mode regardless of what you change in skin and texture folder it does not effect AT ALL how enemy planes appear.(not even 4K bump maps as due to Lodding you would only see any enemy planes 4K skin and bump map from what 50meters? if that

also regarding checking mods,
Simply dont allow mods to be uploaded to forum without checking.
Add Key file to mods before the forum mod uploads them
done.

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14

8 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

No File changes made to \data\graphics\sky\summer or winter if they were allowed with Mods off (like plane skins) would or could have any effect on the planes skins/textures or their visible at all really, About the only thing i could see would be to make the sun shine red beams or something silly.

You've now described an entirely different system. The developers would no longer be able to "check a mod" before allowing it as you originally suggested; all mods that only change certain files would be permitted. Granted, that would be easier to implement. However, it would not be a very versatile system as relatively few files don't affect gameplay.

also regarding checking mods,
Simply dont allow mods to be uploaded to forum without checking.

Trivial to bypass by uploading a mod elsewhere.

Add Key file to mods before the forum mod uploads them

A key doesn't do anything without a system that can use it. Again, the developers would need to reallocate resources to write the code for this. We've seen that such additions don't happen frequently.

12 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Off topic, but maybe someone know how to fix sky blue color banding ?

I have no banding..

Sounds like you having a 16bit issue
You sure game running in 32bit colour mode?

This is what you reffering to? i never had it happen in IL2 only Flight Sim X @ 16bit colour mode.
Exaggerated example
311q2o4.jpg

Edited by =TBAS=Sshadow14

1 hour ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

I have no banding..

Sounds like you having a 16bit issue
You sure game running in 32bit colour mode?

This is what you reffering to? i never had it happen in IL2 only Flight Sim X @ 16bit colour mode.
Exaggerated example
311q2o4.jpg

32 bit for sure.

Yes, banding is visible but not all time - depends on time and weather. This example  is when looking at sea. I have to find one from sky.

suiGniy.jpg

image.thumb.png.584d0d25d4d38c0334ab3b8bd682549e.png

there it is (old ss, above is from yesterday TAW)

image.thumb.png.1fa7f27b82062dbc9fba55ee2a9a8fa1.png

Plus the sky color is not uniform thera are some regions with difrent colors, not uniform or nicely toned together  which remind me of movies with black scenes

and some compression artifacts(due to low bit rates)

example:

image.thumb.png.47858d9c09570d26099094a5cd1eac16.png

in game, if yo can see it

image.thumb.png.74ff1d0360d3f1273e5af0dec3bc25b7.png

Please do test - Kuban ,summer 20:30 ,6000m ,weather cloudy, AF on sea.

YT Video compression just exaggerated and some time reduced this effect

Edited by 307_Tomcat

5 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

image.thumb.png.74ff1d0360d3f1273e5af0dec3bc25b7.png

I remember this particular type of side-effect being caused by the cockpit glass texture.

You shouldn't see it from any external view. This also means it's not avoidable unless you mod the glass texture, I'm afraid.

As for the color banding, the only effective way that works for me is to filter it with Reshade, using the Deband shader.

Edited by Picchio
  • Thanks 1

I have tried to activate this through JSGME and by placing by hand but cant get the sky to work like in the first pics. Am I missing a step?

On 3/28/2018 at 6:34 PM, Ungern-Sternberg said:

Btw, anyone knows in what dds format are the skydome.dds files?

I am sure the devs have their reasons but it's a 64 bit DDS filetype instead of DXT 3 or 5.

Thanks for the texture, colour looks much more natural.

@307_Tomcat Regarding colour banding - try my Reshade profile which fixes it.

dds.PNG

4.PNG

Edited by Skipper-
  • Thanks 1