Jump to content
coconut

[MOD] High quality clouds in Low preset

Recommended Posts

This mod enables high quality clouds in the low graphics settings. This is primarily useful for people playing in VR with a strong GPU (I have a 980ti) and weak CPU (like my 4690K at overclocked 4.5Ghz :wacko:)

Note: In the graphics settings in the game you also need to pick high quality clouds.

 

The important lines in gpresets.cfg are in preset=0:

clouds_quality=2

clouds_samples=128

 

For clouds_samples I went over the top on purpose, to see the performance impact. So far it seems OK. This setting has value 96 in the Ultra preset, and was at 56 originally. Maybe try other values in between if you experience stutters or low FPS.

 

As far as I understand, clouds_quality controls the outline of planes that are in front of clouds, clouds_sample controls the size/number of "cloud particles". The higher the value, the smaller the particles. The "simmering" effect is less visible the smaller the particles are.

 

Unpack the zip file in your MODS directory to use with jsgme, assuming you installed jsgme in the root of you game installation. If not, just make sure that gpresets.cfg is located in data/luascripts. Don't forget to turn mods on in the game settings. 

 

EDIT: new vr_settings.zip, Added high quality clouds with 128 samples to all presets vr_settings.zip

 

Edited by coconut
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 12
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK so I just got jsgme, and I got your the gpreset.cfg located in D:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\vr_settings\data\luascripts

 

jsgme is located in D:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad when I start jsgme I don't see anything. I am not sure if I should or if I need to do anything extra.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To use with jsgme you have to put it in jsgme's MODS directory. I'll update the first post, it's currently wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can this edit only the clouds or do I have to use the low setting as well? I use high setting on preset and clouds but still have the "simmering". I would like to try more particles for mine as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest zip I've uploaded today has it for all settings, low to ultra.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, coconut said:

The latest zip I've uploaded today has it for all settings, low to ultra.

I had already altered this (he said in a vain bid to grab some acknowledge for secondary original thinking) and tested today. 

 

This is a helluva thing. This is the first time on BOX ive ever been able to fly in the clouds an not see a single "click" no matter the angle of view. Moreover the nasty effects seen as aircraft enter the clouds also appear to be greatly reduced. The clouds now really have some claim to being the best in any combat sim. 

 

6 reactions and 4 replies to this (in comparison to the hundreds of replies complaining about the clouds like a closed groove) indicate to me that there are a lot of people who aint aware of this who could really benefit. I fly on a balanced setting to be on the safe side with my ickle 1060 and those clouds make all the difference. 

 

If the devs had done this there would a 20 page thank-you thread by now (not dissin the devs just saying this doesn't seem to be getting picked up like it should and deserves)

 

opening up this file also provides access to many other settings allowing great fine tuning in the pre-sets- something many have bee asking for since forever and something that seems to have been completely missed so far. 

 

My hat is off to you Coconut - first a great server and then a great and pre tested find!!

 

BOO

Edited by BOO
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018. 03. 24. at 9:31 AM, coconut said:

As far as I understand, clouds_quality controls the outline of planes that are in front of clouds, clouds_sample controls the size/number of "cloud particles". The higher the value, the smaller the particles. The "simmering" effect is less visible the smaller the particles are.

I'm a non-VR guy, but I too am heavily affected by the shimmering effect 'introduced' with the new clouds. I wish I could get the old clouds back. Anyway, I don't seem to have any gpresets.cfg in my install, and activating one through JSGME doesn't seem to have any effect on my system. I understand that your mod is for VR, but is there any way it could be utilized by non-VR users as well?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same question like sniperton.

 

To understand this right,it is possible to get rid of the shimmering effect ? Not a VR user here

 

I mean this terrible one here:

2018_3_21__20_48_9.png

Edited by Semor76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I just tested it out using medium graphics preset and this ultra high clouds mod and it gets rid of that jagged edges and things. Great mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

non vr. I mean the medium graphics as in the "balanced" preset in the graphics menu. I'm on a laptop so I have limited power. I was using the high setting before but using these clouds I went down to balanced to even it out. Well worth it though as I haven't noticed any difference in graphics quality and the clouds are way way better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sniperton said:

I'm a non-VR guy, but I too am heavily affected by the shimmering effect 'introduced' with the new clouds. I wish I could get the old clouds back. Anyway, I don't seem to have any gpresets.cfg in my install, and activating one through JSGME doesn't seem to have any effect on my system. I understand that your mod is for VR, but is there any way it could be utilized by non-VR users as well?

 

It can -  - I'm a non VR user. It reduces the shimmer for me. It doesn't completely remove it so if you are looking for perfection and are not interested in the clouds themselves then you may be disappointed. For me the effect  is equal if not better than pre 3.001 with the added overall benefit that the aircraft are not outlined in a white haze. Mleage may vary.

 

I dunno if the ( or your) JGSME path is right or wrong - I use OvGME and it works for me.

 

Ive tried at all the pre-set levels - the clouds remain higher quality than in the original ultra pre-set. I can also now tinker with the other lines in there too so better adjust a pre-set to my personal preferences/needs.

 

Edited by BOO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks BOO, but now back to square zero. No VR, [Game]\data\LuaScripts\gpresets.cfg installed via JSGME, 'Mods' ticked, Clouds 'high', graphic preset any, game restarted, and I don't see any difference as to contours. What am I missing here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmed! @coconut you are the best. The issue with the Plane contours against the clouds are nearly 100% gone.

 

Tested with no VR, High & Ultra present and High Clouds settings. Just perfect now. Thank you very much

 

 

Edited by Semor76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sniperton said:

Thanks BOO, but now back to square zero. No VR, [Game]\data\LuaScripts\gpresets.cfg installed via JSGME, 'Mods' ticked, Clouds 'high', graphic preset any, game restarted, and I don't see any difference as to contours. What am I missing here?

I don't use JSGME I'm afraid so I cant say if its that or something else - hopefully a JSGME user will be able to help you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Semor76 said:

Confirmed! @coconut you are the best. The issue with the Plane contours against the clouds are nearly 100% gone.

 

Tested with no VR, High & Ultra present and High Clouds settings. Just perfect now. Thank you very much

 

 

I have to correct myself. The "pixel-Plane effect" is still there. Dont know what I´ve seen before. A fata Morgana or a placebo effect maybe?

 

With Ultra present & Clouds high, the bug is less prominent, but definitive there. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coconut this is just great!

Detailed clouds are beautiful but most importantly we can finally customize the graphics presets!

I need to use low graphics in VR but the blurry textures were really jarring. Was able to set texmipdown=0 and have detailed textures even in low graphics.

Many thanks for this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Semor76 said:

I have to correct myself. The "pixel-Plane effect" is still there. Dont know what I´ve seen before. A fata Morgana or a placebo effect maybe?

 

With Ultra present & Clouds high, the bug is less prominent, but definitive there. :(

It was there for me pre 3.001 and the overall effect of the new patch and this mod has improved it way beyond pre 3.001 - Its not perfect but it now in the same league of the turning trees for me - something I can ignore. The render of the aircraft against the clouds had been acknowledged by the devs for some time and I think they have said no fix will be quickly forthcoming - this mod really sorted the simmering out if nothing else (of which there is). . Perhaps try upping the detail level from 2 to something rlse - I tried 5 and it seemed to improve things again but it was just a snatched flight before work. 

I have also found on my 1060 I need to lower the anisotropic filtering in order to ease the demand on the card from 16 to 8. 

 

I still think that this mod is the most important out of the first crop and it likely to become more important as more people experiment with it in terms of the fine tuning to the presets that it now possible.

 

I hope that something can be done to the engine to improve this issue overall especially with the upcoming BoBp. I'm sure the devs have it on the radar because given the dates and the weather conditions around those actions the clouds will be an essential ingredient to the immersion that flashy jets and late war Americana may not be able to fully distract some players from.

Edited by BOO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this actually require mods on mode to be enabled or is it just a configuration file edit that is fine for servers that had mods disabled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only tried it in "mods on" mode. It would be easy to check if it works also in "mods off", but haven't tried yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a million for this. it means I can finally turn off high graphics preset which is very demanding! Official fix shouldnt be far off I hope!  Btw it doesent work in MODS off mode!

Edited by Wolf8312

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome mod, Coconut!

B-E-A-UTIFUL clouds while still maintaining playable FPS in VR.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Can I play multiplayer with mods on? I haven't tried yet. 

 

Only on servers that allow "mods on". Don't know if there are any, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried this weekend and only the Australia server allows mods on it seems.

 

Also I am still not sure if I have installed this correctly....... how does one go about installing this mod without JSGME. I am just having a hard time telling if I did this correctly or if it is just placebo effect and something tells me I didn't install it correctly. 

 

for example sniperton says he has his installed: [Game]\data\LuaScripts\gpresets.cfg, but I have mine installed inder the JSGME Mods folder instead so, how would one do this without JSMGE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, =SqSq=switch201 said:

for example sniperton says he has his installed: [Game]\data\LuaScripts\gpresets.cfg, but I have mine installed inder the JSGME Mods folder instead so, how would one do this without JSMGE?

 

You either put the gpresets.cfg file in the data\luascripts\ folder yourself, or you use JSGME to do it for you.

 

Edit: Just putting it in the JSGME Mods folder is not enough. You must start JSGME and install the mod. Sorry if this is obvious, but I’m not sure if you knew this.

Edited by T_oll
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also confirm that this Mod works. Stuttering clouds are now gone. Good job Coconut!

 

Unfortunately, this improvement is not for "free".  I go down from 100/80 (AVG/MIN) fps in a 4 vs 4 with heavy clothes in the Stalingrad map to only 60/40. In the Kuban map i go from 70/50 to 50/30. A lower level solution from the devs is needed. Independent of the cloud detail, they should never move around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh ok. I did start JSGME and "installed" the mod, but when I get home today I will check to see if the file actually got transferred over to the data folder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Pupo said:

I also confirm that this Mod works. Stuttering clouds are now gone. Good job Coconut!

 

Unfortunately, this improvement is not for "free".  I go down from 100/80 (AVG/MIN) fps in a 4 vs 4 with heavy clothes in the Stalingrad map to only 60/40. In the Kuban map i go from 70/50 to 50/30. A lower level solution from the devs is needed. Independent of the cloud detail, they should never move around.

Try lowering the number of samples to 96 or even lower and see if that helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Pupo said:

I also confirm that this Mod works. Stuttering clouds are now gone. Good job Coconut!

 

Unfortunately, this improvement is not for "free".  I go down from 100/80 (AVG/MIN) fps in a 4 vs 4 with heavy clothes in the Stalingrad map to only 60/40. In the Kuban map i go from 70/50 to 50/30. A lower level solution from the devs is needed. Independent of the cloud detail, they should never move around.

Anisotropic filtering hits me in the clouds  at X16 when stuff is stacking up.  I'm loosing sufficient FPS to get the ole v-stink twitching. In the NVidia inspector ive selected a lower setting (currently X8) to tame the fps drop whilst still removing most of the nasty white edges around the frame edges in certain conditions. Dunno if this is unique to me as all those expert guides tell me ASF doesn't impact - but apparently it does for me at least. 

 

Sharpening may also have an impact if you have that engaged but this is top of my hat stuff as I don't use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coconut said:

Try lowering the number of samples to 96 or even lower and see if that helps. 

 

Lowered to 96, FPS went up a little bit, but the stuttering clouds are back.  I think for now, I will stick to 128, and keep avoiding the kuban map.

 

 

1 hour ago, BOO said:

Anisotropic filtering hits me in the clouds  at X16 when stuff is stacking up.  I'm loosing sufficient FPS to get the ole v-stink twitching. In the NVidia inspector ive selected a lower setting (currently X8) to tame the fps drop whilst still removing most of the nasty white edges around the frame edges in certain conditions. Dunno if this is unique to me as all those expert guides tell me ASF doesn't impact - but apparently it does for me at least. 

 

Sharpening may also have an impact if you have that engaged but this is top of my hat stuff as I don't use it. 

 

 

I don't use any of those fancy features :P. I'm stuck with low or balanced graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanx for this - not a VR user but the clouds seemed to have stopped twitching - nice work...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is brilliant!

 

I don't fly VR but the planes not shimmering in front of the clouds is good enough.

 

Cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26.3.2018 at 12:17 PM, coconut said:

It requires mods on

are the other preset values untouched? id like to test some mixed presets to get one for my liking (larger tree distance > low shadow /reflection etc). in other words,

did you just change the 2 cloud values in this mod preset?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ironk79 said:

are the other preset values untouched? id like to test some mixed presets to get one for my liking (larger tree distance > low shadow /reflection etc). in other words,

did you just change the 2 cloud values in this mod preset?

No other changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...