Jump to content
=38=Tatarenko

FIX - Cloud issue 95% fixed and microstutters gone

Recommended Posts

Following Jason's advice in another thread to tick V-Sync and the 4K box (even though it may seem counter-intuitive) I tried this and not only are the micro-stutters gone but the cloud issue is 95% fixed and is barely noticeable now. FANTASTIC!!
 

Edited by =38=Tatarenko
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, =38=Tatarenko said:

Following Jason's advice in another thread to tick V-Sync and the 4K box (even though it may seem counter-intuitive) I tried this and not only are the micro-stutters gone but the cloud issue is 95% fixed and is barely noticeable now. FANTASTIC!!
 

Fantastic for us who read forums and we will see If that will help all of us. I will try that when I get home. Vsync I already have ON but 4k box I didnt tick. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

short question: what exactly is this 4k option? I thought it´s for the 4k skins only. Or am I wrong here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

short question: what exactly is this 4k option? I thought it´s for the 4k skins only. Or am I wrong here?

No idea but things are much better. I'm guessing there's a 4K cloud graphic too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap! It worked! How strange.

 

Apparently I had microstutters as well and just didn't notice. I was chalking the slightly choppy motions up to the drop in frame rate, but now it runs silk smooth, even though the FPS drop is still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Holy crap! It worked! How strange.

 

Apparently I had microstutters as well and just didn't notice. I was chalking the slightly choppy motions up to the drop in frame rate, but now it runs silk smooth, even though the FPS drop is still there.

Great news fink. I have heavy microstuttering. Will definitely try that when i get home. My FPS is the same as before patch I knew it wasnt my PC since everything was super smooth for me even on ultra (before patch). I hope devs will investigate this with 4k option, its really strange.

Edited by blackram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran everything at max yesterday, had VSYNC and 4K activated. Barely any stutter at all at Novorossijsk, SOME stutter at Maikop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

short question: what exactly is this 4k option? I thought it´s for the 4k skins only. Or am I wrong here?

 

All this does is IF there is a 4K texture for a plane or something else the game will load it. If not, the 2K version of the same texture will be used. I found in testing that not checking this box may cause stutters in combination with Vsync On and Full Screen On/Off. The team can't seem to replicate it in the office, but they are aware of the issue. I thought it was mainly affecting 4K monitors, but maybe not or at least it is less noticeable. 


Jason

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Jason. I don't know if this is right or not but my guess is that the new clouds are 4k and changing them to 2k on the fly is a problem. But I don't know. Anyway, the cloud improvement with 4k is massive, planes flying in front of them aren't a complete mess anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Finkeren said:

Holy crap! It worked! How strange.

 

more of such recommendations are welcomed :P

will try immediately when get home.

 

When pressing H or map, is already fixed?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

 

All this does is IF there is a 4K texture for a plane or something else the game will load it. If not, the 2K version of the same texture will be used. I found in testing that not checking this box may cause stutters in combination with Vsync On and Full Screen On/Off. The team can't seem to replicate it in the office, but they are aware of the issue. I thought it was mainly affecting 4K monitors, but maybe not or at least it is less noticeable. 


Jason

Thx for explanation Jason. I can confirmed, turn 4k on resolve my stutters to 95%. even in situations  with many planes around me.  I play normaly with Ultra/High settings and in borderless windowed mode & Vsync off. It eats my FPS otherwise .

 

FX6400 OC to 3,9GHz

GTX1050 OC

8GiG Ram

Edited by Semor76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, =38=Tatarenko said:

...the cloud improvement with 4k is massive, planes flying in front of them aren't a complete mess anymore.

 

 

:(   Unfortunately I can't 'me too' that. This solution eradicated all the stutter wonderfully. But the clouds are still a bit of a mess. I don't recall having any issues with clouds pre-patch (been some months since I have fired it up though). FPS is reporting as very high and the game looks lovely and smooth - amazing how a game which looks this good and has so many background  calculations going on can run so well.  If I can get the clouds up to the same standards I will be delighted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pudu said:

 

 

FPS is reporting as very high and the game looks lovely and smooth - amazing how a game which looks this good and has so many background  calculations going on can run so well. 

I totally agree,  the game is optimized really well.  The Devs are VERY good at what they do.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this help with stutters in VR as well? I played two missions last night, performance and head tracking were good but I was getting constant microstutter when looking at the terrain.

Edited by flyinj
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, flyinj said:

Does this help with stutters in VR as well? I played two missions last night, performance and head tracking were good but I was getting constant microstutter when looking at the terrain.

 

 

hard to tell since we cant enable Vsync in VR :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, flyinj said:

Does this help with stutters in VR as well? I played two missions last night, performance and head tracking were good but I was getting constant microstutter when looking at the terrain.

 

If you disable ASW that is to be expected. 

Now if the devs would allow for a fix on the propeller disk to delete the warping of objects behind the propdisk... That would be sweet blissful joy. A transparent disk option (low quality prop disk)  instead of actually rotating blades which ASW cannot handle... Mister Williams? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

 

If you disable ASW that is to be expected. 

Now if the devs would allow for a fix on the propeller disk to delete the warping of objects behind the propdisk... That would be sweet blissful joy. A transparent disk option (low quality prop disk)  instead of actually rotating blades which ASW cannot handle... Mister Williams? :)

 

this would be an easy fix (i presume) and very much welcome for VR. but something tells me that VR wont be getting any love for a few years, if at all :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, VR players seem to be the minority, but each I have talked to is highly invested, with a high or complete rate of all collectors and expansions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I would have never gotten back into flight sims if it wasn't for their excellent VR integration. Already have Moscow, getting Kuban this weekend. I hope for more support! 

 

Sorry to get a it off topic here, but how do you disable ASW with a Rift? Is it a setting in IL2?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would seem to be more of a problem with the VR side. Asking a game dev to resolve issues the VR devs haven't is going backwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

 

If you disable ASW that is to be expected. 

Now if the devs would allow for a fix on the propeller disk to delete the warping of objects behind the propdisk... That would be sweet blissful joy. A transparent disk option (low quality prop disk)  instead of actually rotating blades which ASW cannot handle... Mister Williams? :)

Why to be expected? ASW would mask some of the microstutters. Problem is still there,  just your Rift is covering up the issue.

2 minutes ago, FuriousMeow said:

It would seem to be more of a problem with the VR side. Asking a game dev to resolve issues the VR devs haven't is going backwards.

What issue have the VR devs not resolved? If the frames aren't ready in time to be displayed, there is only so much masking of the issue that can be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? If the API the VR devs use can't properly process output from the software, then it is on their end. If the hardware can't process it, again - it's on their end.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You base that on what?

 

Output is quite fine up to 250fps, fastest it's output for me, so you again - you base this on what?

 

VR is still version 1. It's still in it's own "can we make this work even properly" phase let alone "the best". It's like V1 3D graphics cards. Some worked ok, some didn't, coding to it was hit or miss. It also varied between the, at least 5, hardware manufacturers with their own requirements that could vary by a lot.

 

 

Edited by FuriousMeow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Furiousmeow, that's not how it works. It's not a 1 way street. The issue is, as previously stated, that the engine likes to run most on a single core. VR users even with beast systems can be happy to play fluently at 90fps in high settings. Changing that however is too complicated and out of question currently, il-2 will need that future proofing only in the future -  and probably not even this year. 

 

That aside, to get asw properly working is also no 1 way street. The environment has to be properly adapted to it. Currently the largest but simplest boon blocking that is the prop disk and how it interacts. It's no biggy to either get a transparent option, like with Glas textures, which could be enabled as "low quality prop for VR" in options. Mods have completely removed it and are common among the players, but that's no solution as it eats quite a bit of framerate. 

The second big boon is a weak VR zoom, much less zoom than a monitor player enjoys. It's also been fixed by a mod which people use, but it would be more elegant to have a solution ingame. The devs could provide that with probably just few hours, but it's not on their schedule just like a low quality prop disk. 

 

Both are things that Jason could fix by giving the direction, that's why I post about it hoping for a reaction. 

 

The two biggest issues, prop disk and zoom, could hence easily get fixed and give the VR people a lot of satisfaction instantly, without much effort. It would be great if Jason could ask his team on how much / long a fix in this regard could take, to get an estimation at least. Well, one can hope. 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3Dmigoto mod by Lufeneste fixes the Prop disc (by removing it completely) and introduces a 3, 5, and x10 zooms. Well, it worked in 2.0 release, not so much in 3.001 (zoom issues), however, knowing Lefuneste's dedication I think he'll fix that soon, for which I'm eternally grateful (Lefuneste, you're the MAN!).

 

Removing the prop disc alone with the mod gives you 5-10fps back! Or at least that's the feeling I'm getting using it! :)

 

Would it be nice to have an official support from devs on this issue? Honestly, I don't know. The mod does everything very very well. And knowing the VR community's increasing "WANT!" requirements I actually prefer it as a 3rd party mod at this point, as long as it's allowed! Because it has flexible 'support model', you can run different versions of the mod depending on your liking and system specs. Whereas if it's an official implementation then there's no room for negotiations whatsoever.

 

just my 2 centinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The engine, for BoX, is multicore. I'd need to see some actual evidence that it runs on single core as it doesn't for me. The VR core issue would then be an API issue if that is how it is running the rendering process.

 

The prop issue I bet is that the API is splitting renders between eye screens. An API issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on a mod that removes part of the rendering?

 

Starting to sound like the days of the Rendition API days where removing things ran well, but worked fine in other APIs from 3D card companies that actually accounted for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It's a good point @moosya

 

maybe you can ask lefuneste for a prop disc with higher opacity?  I wonder if he tried out the shader implementation for it and it brought no meaningful gains in AWS department..  but doesn't hurt to ask him :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caping max FPS to 60 with windowed mode and vsync off worked for me to get rid of microstutters on overcast weather in alpha builds on my rig. I'm using 3440x1440@100hz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Furiousmeow, that's not how it works. It's not a 1 way street. The issue is, as previously stated, that the engine likes to run most on a single core. VR users even with beast systems can be happy to play fluently at 90fps in high settings. Changing that however is too complicated and out of question currently, il-2 will need that future proofing only in the future -  and probably not even this year. 

 

That aside, to get asw properly working is also no 1 way street. The environment has to be properly adapted to it. Currently the largest but simplest boon blocking that is the prop disk and how it interacts. It's no biggy to either get a transparent option, like with Glas textures, which could be enabled as "low quality prop for VR" in options. Mods have completely removed it and are common among the players, but that's no solution as it eats quite a bit of framerate. 

The second big boon is a weak VR zoom, much less zoom than a monitor player enjoys. It's also been fixed by a mod which people use, but it would be more elegant to have a solution ingame. The devs could provide that with probably just few hours, but it's not on their schedule just like a low quality prop disk. 

 

Both are things that Jason could fix by giving the direction, that's why I post about it hoping for a reaction. 

 

The two biggest issues, prop disk and zoom, could hence easily get fixed and give the VR people a lot of satisfaction instantly, without much effort. It would be great if Jason could ask his team on how much / long a fix in this regard could take, to get an estimation at least. Well, one can hope. 

 

 

where could i find this mod you speak of? can i still fly multiplayer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please post such issues in this topic. Please help other users have a stutter free experience.

 

 

Jason

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flyinj said:

Yeah, I would have never gotten back into flight sims if it wasn't for their excellent VR integration. Already have Moscow, getting Kuban this weekend. I hope for more support! 

 

Sorry to get a it off topic here, but how do you disable ASW with a Rift? Is it a setting in IL2?

 

CTRL + numpad 1

1 hour ago, 19//SAG said:

 

 

where could i find this mod you speak of? can i still fly multiplayer?

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For VR (Rift), I haven't noticed any stuttering but do have really awful plane pixelation when viewed against clouds. This occurs both with and without 4k textures enabled. The pixelation doesn't only apply to other aircraft, but even my own plane's wings (thankfully not the gunsight or nose though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So ticking 4k option fixed the stutters for me, as expected. Interesting....I must say that offline mission with 16 AI planes around me is again butter smooth. Online in Wings of liberty I didnt have stutters also. And server was full (84 ppl). Even "server overlaod msg" appeared. Kuban map was loaded. However I noticed it wasnt so super smooth online like befpre 3001 on older maps. With that said I hope team will find more solutions to fien tune/optimize the engine in the future as they did with older maps. And just when they did succeed in few patched to optimize the game perfectly Kuban map and this mess with 4k option appeared. Ehhh....Wish them luck.

 

And...the new "water drop" effect on the canopy is absolutely beautiful. Congrats.

Edited by blackram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the cloud gfx issue, delete your game completely (including files leftover, but save your input folder for key bindings!). 

 

Then reinstall. 

 

I suspect the injector (3dmigoto) to be responsible. Simply deleting its files before patching doesn't suffice. Verifying integrity of game cache in steam doesn't suffice. You'll need to reinstall fresh. 

 

This fixed it for me. 

5 hours ago, BeastyBaiter said:

For VR (Rift), I haven't noticed any stuttering but do have really awful plane pixelation when viewed against clouds. This occurs both with and without 4k textures enabled. The pixelation doesn't only apply to other aircraft, but even my own plane's wings (thankfully not the gunsight or nose though).

 

4 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I still have cloud issues. I'll try the fix when I get home tonight. Thanks.

 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fenris I have "blurry planes in clouds" issue from the first day, with old and now with my new rig. Its just whenever I look at a plane in front of a cloud it gets blurry (plane).

Edited by blackram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, never once in history was reshade or migoto installed? Then that might be due to the ingame anti-aliasing. Try switching it off and take a look.

 

 

P.S. Don't forget Jason's recommendation and keep 4k textures active.

P.P.S. Also, read his newly opened thread. There are some further details there, like you want to use freshly un-altered Nvidia Drivers, et cetera.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×