Ceowulf

Assign Modifiers on HOTAS

Really wish we could, right in game, choose to make any HOTAS button into any modifier key.  Lshift, Ralt, etc.    Could double or even triple the number of functions available without "hunt and peck" keying.  My ultimate goal would be to touch keyboard no more, not even the escape button.

Just a suggestion though, not a complaint.  There are already a lot of ergonomic niceties and I appreciate them.  

Thanks,

Ceowulf<><

PS.  I was able to get SVmapper to work but it took some reading.  

• Upvote 4

Yes; I use JoyToKey in combination with my X52 Pro. The lack of an ingame HOTAS modifier makes it unnecessarily complicated for new players. 

• Like 1

Hi @Ceowulf, how did you manage to BoX recognize the difference between right and left Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys? I'm having trouble to make it work when the command has some of these LCtrl+key or RShft+key combos. It seems that the game only recognize the letter as a capital one (for instance: a, LShift+a or RShift+a are all recognized as "A" inside the game - so the LShift or RShift commands are never executed). 
I'm also using SVMapper with a DIY panel and Warthog. 

Edited by jokerBR

I was surprised to see CloD has this function but BoX does not. Would take a lot of workload off my keyboard if I could do that.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:41 AM, jokerBR said:

Hi @Ceowulf, how did you manage to BoX recognize the difference between right and left Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys? I'm having trouble to make it work when the command has some of these LCtrl+key or RShft+key combos. It seems that the game only recognize the letter as a capital one (for instance: a, LShift+a or RShift+a are all recognized as "A" inside the game - so the LShift or RShift commands are never executed). 
I'm also using SVMapper with a DIY panel and Warthog. 

Hi Joker,

Sorry I'm a month late.  I don't know if I understand the question but I run SVmapper as administrator, maybe that's one thing.  Other than that, I just set whichever shift button, say Lshift, in SVmapper, and use the same in the game.  Make sure you set the key within the game by pressing the keyboard shift (etc.) and the desired other key or button.  It doesn't work using by pressing the joystick modifier and button when key mapping in the game mapping menu.  It does work in the game itself, of course.

But that's all obvious if I said it clearly.  Here's a pic of my SVmapper just in case it helps.

Ceowulf<><

SVpic.PNG

Thanks Ceowulf. After trying several different solutions, I've done it all with Joystick Gremlin using macros. Hint: it's way more powerful than SVMapper, too.  :)

These are different situations, one is just set a joy button to press  "shift", other is set macros - e.g. "LShif+A" in an button. 

Ceowulf

There's a workaround for set a button - e.g. T50 button #18 (pinky) as modifier for other buttons, but only be manually editing the file 'current.actions' in controls.

Example, for a given command set   the desired button, e.g. button # 1  - game allow set the same button for up to 3 commands.

After set all open the above file  with Notepad++ and replace "joy1_b1" by "joy1_b18+joy1_b1" - need pay attention in command name, to don't change for undesired command.

In practice no advantage over use the button to send "Shift" key - that work as LShift and RShift with Joy2Key or L/RShift with SVMapper, other than not run another program in game background.

What lead to the question: as the game already accept a button as modifier for another, why don't add this in controls options? :)

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Sokol, I understand exactly.  I have to fiddle with the controller text file in Rise if Flight because Win 10 keeps changing the numbers.  I just run down the text file and change joy(#) entries to create a same profile with different numbered controllers.  But that’s off topic.  

In wish our devs would just give us a modifier assignment option.  

Bump. Just bought BoS and honestly the only con i have for this game is not allowing me to use my hotas with modifiers

Bump. This is absolutely imperative to any flight simulator game. Especially when, if not using a head tracking device, you must bind at minimum one entire POV hat to moving your head around the cockpit, which essentially loses you 4 entire bindings without modifiers in place. Of course, you can use external software to fix this, like Joy2Key, but its quite annoying to be in the "zone" and then realize you forgot to boot up Joy2Key in the background.

Bump been playing on and off.. still hoping to see modifier feature in this game :)

On 8/9/2019 at 3:26 AM, MechSauce said:

Bump been playing on and off.. still hoping to see modifier feature in this game :)

I finally picked up BOS after the guys on hoggit recommending this game a lot and immediately I realized I had a problem with no modifier options.  Huge oversight on the devs part to not do this.

12 hours ago, Dutch9911 said:

I finally picked up BOS after the guys on hoggit recommending this game a lot and immediately I realized I had a problem with no modifier options.  Huge oversight on the devs part to not do this.

agreed! the only solution i found was to use gremlin software.. but nevertheless, i was pretty dissapointed to see how this game has been out for this long without a feature of this. 

Most joysticks and controllers have an option in their software to emulate a keyboard press. So just make some of your buttons Shift or Ctrl etc. 

I used to do that in RoF. Very easy solution. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Most joysticks and controllers have an option in their software to emulate a keyboard press.

Even if an given joystick have no keyboard emulation software and universal software exist - Joystick Gremlin. But is one more "gadget" for run in game background.

Being able to set a button, e.g. pinky of some joysticks, as modifier in games options is more easy and give the flexibility that some people want.

The irony is that game controls allow use this button modifier - as above ("joy1_b18+joy1_b1"), just lack the option for set the button in controls GUI.

Edited by Sokol1

Bump !

This would be super useful and I can't imagine this being too difficult to implement... it's a low hanging fruit ! grab it, devs ! :)

On 10/1/2019 at 7:14 AM, AirHoly_VR said:

Bump !

This would be super useful and I can't imagine this being too difficult to implement... it's a low hanging fruit ! grab it, devs ! :)

yes, if i saw this low hanging fruit in a new patch note it would make me quite happy. seems like a easy effort to reward thing to me.