Sign in to follow this  
Pupo

[TRACK IR] Is it possible to control lean axis with X axis?

Posted (edited)

Have been trying to figure this one out since a couple of days without success, maybe one of you can help me out, or point me in the right direction.

I want to control my track IR "lean axis" with my "X axis". The desired effects is that when i look left and backwards, my in game view will also lean slightly to the left, replicating more naturally the human head movement. 

As anyone achieved this effect somehow?

Cheers!

Edited by Pupo

If what you actually mean is that when you look over your left shoulder your head leans *right* (as it does in reality) then Opentrack does this by default.

I’m not completely certain but I think there’s a box called “true track “or”true view” you can try turning off or on... 

i messed around with profiles and I think with it off I had to lean to the side I wanted then look back in that direction... 

the other was I looked in direction and leaned forward, which with trackir seemed appropriate..  

User preference of course... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

If what you actually mean is that when you look over your left shoulder your head leans *right* (as it does in reality) then Opentrack does this by default.

This is exactly what I want. It's confusing to explain because the head leans *right* but your body actually leans *left*.  Is it possible to use Track IR hardware with OpenTrack? 

6 hours ago, spartan85 said:

I’m not completely certain but I think there’s a box called “true track “or”true view” you can try turning off or on... 

i messed around with profiles and I think with it off I had to lean to the side I wanted then look back in that direction... 

the other was I looked in direction and leaned forward, which with trackir seemed appropriate..  

User preference of course... 

I'm using trueView already, but I want to go one step further :P

9 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

While we at this...Im using EdTracker Pro like you and Opentrack software. I have my actual roll (head movement) tied to x axis. But I needed to invert X axis to get actual "look over left shoulder" when I check my 6. Then again whe I look forward and want to lean the lean is completely inverted in a way that I lean right when rolling left with my head. Do you have a solution? If I untick invert then the problem with forward lean is reflected when I check my 6 in a same way.

I did this at one point by editing the files with key commands. I made leaning work with same trackir axis what turning your head uses. 

But I lost the ability to lean when looking forward. I wasn't able to get normal leaning work same time with "auto-leaning". Gave up and forgot the whole thing.

Posted (edited)
13 часов назад, Pupo сказал:

Have been trying to figure this one out since a couple of days without success, maybe one of you can help me out, or point me in the right direction.

I want to control my track IR "lean axis" with my "X axis". The desired effects is that when i look left and backwards, my in game view will also lean slightly to the left, replicating more naturally the human head movement. 

As anyone achieved this effect somehow?

Cheers!

That's the way Track IR works in DCS. In BoS we need adittional feature/option to get it to work  in the way You describes.

Regarding this I've posted a suggesion about a year ago.

Edited by Piekarz

Thank you @Piekarz. Upvoted and bumped your suggestion, hoping that one day it becomes a native Il-2 feature.

Meanwhile, will try and see if i can use the openTrack software with TrackIR hardware. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, blackram said:

While we at this...Im using EdTracker Pro like you and Opentrack software. I have my actual roll (head movement) tied to x axis. But I needed to invert X axis to get actual "look over left shoulder" when I check my 6. Then again whe I look forward and want to lean the lean is completely inverted in a way that I lean right when rolling left with my head. Do you have a solution? If I untick invert then the problem with forward lean is reflected when I check my 6 in a same way.

It is under the  'Relative Translation' tab in 'Options'.   Tick all the boxes apart from 'Disable For x' and 'Disable Effect by Yaw'.  Also trick the box for 'Neck Displacement' I have mine set as 20mm  which is like undoing your straps and leaning right out while parked  but once you are flying it is more like being strapped in.

Translation1.jpgTranslation1.jpg.e75168c78baffb754ec21a392e0113ec.jpg

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

@Roblex- you are my hero sir. Now its all working as I wanted and natural! BTW, I had TiR 5 before and virtually the only advantage was "real" 6DOF. EdTracker pro has better tracking, easier to focus on planes and no disconnections not even when light is behind. And pseudo DOF is good enough for me. I can lean I can zoom just that im doing it with rolling myhead which is natural as in cockpit pilot would do the roll more than actual lean.

Edited by blackram

I am the same. I was using TrackIr but was not happy with the way it kept getting upset by stray light.  It also got confused if I whipped my head around too fast such as when trying to follow someone who has just done a head-on or when in scissors.   These are the times when you really need your tracking to work.  As you say, EdTracker is much more reliable at tracking and does not care about the lighting. Like you I roll my head to move it sideways (I used have head-roll disabled in TrackIR anyway as I did not like my view rolling).  I have also set it up so looking down lowers my viewpoint about six inches as well so I have no trouble seeing the dials in an I-16.  Looking up lifts my viewpoint a little for when I need to look over the nose.

Can you send me your opentrack profile just to inspect curves for "slight zoom" along pitch.....

1 hour ago, blackram said:

Can you send me your opentrack profile just to inspect curves for "slight zoom" along pitch.....

I have sent the contents of my box.ini   that goes in Users\ <user>\Documents\Opentrack-2.3

I'm using Trackir5 with trackclip pro. I don't experience problems with stray light and I consider quite accurate. Would you say that Edtracker Pro is still better?

And what is pseudo DOF?

Posted (edited)

If your TrackIR is working 100%,  eg it allows you to rapidly switch from your high 7 to your low 5 then stay with TrackIR but many people have problems with it and might find EDTracker works better for them.   

Pseudo refers to the fact that EDTRacker only tracks Yaw & Pitch. It does not track moving your head forward or sliding sideways while still looking ahead or sitting up/squatting down but by combining it with Opentrack you can simulate these.  The most common way to get sideways movement is to tell Opentrack to move the view sideways when you tilt your head to one side  which many people do anyway. Imagine if you wanted to look around the car in front; you probably lean your head.     Moving your head forwards is not so useful when you can use zoom instead and pretty much the only time you would find it useful is getting a closer look at your instruments.   With Opentrack you can say 'When I look down at my instruments also lower my viewpoint and move it forward a few inches. I also have mine raise my head position a little when I look up so I can see further over my nose.  Again in real life we often tilt our heads back unconsciously when trying to sit up to look over the cars nose.   

All these things are bodges and TrackIr does them without bodges but in my case I find the better tracking  in a dogfight makes it all worth doing.   With TrackIR it was just not  keeping up when I was performing fast horizontal & vertical scissors while also keeping my eyes on the enemy.  When you are doing this and your view suddenly skips or sticks in one place you lose the battle.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex