Mysticpuma

Will the maps ever be able to cover a larger area (Scale)?

Just wondering as Cliffs of Dover maps are very big in comparison, will it be possible to increase the size of the maps or is this something that just cannot be done?

The difference isn't that much I think. There is this google maps page including the maps of different flight sims comparing them, and this is the screenshot of CloD map vs BoX ones at the same scale.

Edit: They wouldn't be on the same scale as it is a Mercator projection, so X pixels in Moscow isn't the same than X pixels in the Caucasus as it is further to the south, we would need the actual distances.

49GHPn8.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1nEGqkqYUGBipkmMq-NSwixdUHmU&ll=44.54350511784384%2C0&z=2

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 4

I think the real problem is not the size of the map, but the number of objects (buildings, bridges, etc.). The game would probably have no performance issues with a map of the whole Solomon Islands, but a central Europe map of the same size would turn it into a slide show.

RAM doesn't appear to be an issue, and deleting all the bridges, buildings etc vs running a mission with all of them in place doesn't seem to make a difference in single player.

• Upvote 1

Just wondering as Cliffs of Dover maps are very big in comparison, will it be possible to increase the size of the maps or is this something that just cannot be done?

Only big map in Clifs is around 300x350km in size, and Kuban map in BoK is around 290x420km in size (both are 1:1 scale) so they already have bigger maps then Clifs, so i think your misinformed if you belive BoX maps are small and CloD map is very big. Last time i check max size of map you can make in Clifs, limit was 385x385km and bigger size was crashing game, here i dont know what max limit is but as you see Kuban map has atleast 420km from east to west so its bigger already, and i would guess 420x420km is posible atleast. 

Also if your still in TFS you should fix your steam page for Blitz as its stating that map size of channel map in Clifs game is 350x350km and thats false and easy to check in game, and see real size when you open map in full mission builder is 300x350km.
"The expansive 350 by 350 km map covers London, the entire southeast of England, the English Channel, Northern France and parts of Belgium and has been updated with beautiful new textures and additional historical landmarks. New Autumn and Winter maps allow the Battle to be extended into late 1940."
So maybe from there you got this misinformation that Clifs map is bigger then Kuban map.

Also if your still in TFS

No longer in TFS, so looking at other projects :)

In regards to "So maybe from there you got this misinformation that Clifs map is bigger then Kuban map", not really, I think it is just therefore a misconception that CloD maps are larger? Maybe the misconception is what was mentioned in a previous post about the amount of objects possible to populate a map? 

Anyway, I am just looking around BoX and ready to enjoy a new challenge, just out of interest and as you is mentioned that 420x420 is possible....what area are the common thoughts that the Boddenplatte map will encompass?

Cheers, MP

Edited by Mysticpuma

RAM doesn't appear to be an issue, and deleting all the bridges, buildings etc vs running a mission with all of them in place doesn't seem to make a difference in single player.

I agree.

Missions might take longer to load with all the objects, but once loaded i dont think performance suffers.

I agree.

Missions might take longer to load with all the objects, but once loaded i dont think performance suffers.

I disagree,

large scale cities - why they avoid us with every manner to fly over them or why they avoid to model them with every manner. There is a reason behind this why they avoid large scale cities.

I think this has more to do with the palpable nature of flying across the English Channel, and how it's expected to be massive, whereas in BOK, you hardly fly over the areas of the map to the South West, because it's only safe for long range aircraft to fly there (if your tank splits from a boat shooting you, you're a long way from Tipperary Mr Spitfire.) It also doesn't help that the size and scale of Kuban is fresh in nobodies mind, whereas the English coastline is every WW2 fanatic's wet dream (unless you like the pacific in which case I assume it's somewhere in the middle of that place, like midway or something.)

• Upvote 1

I disagree,

large scale cities - why they avoid us with every manner to fly over them or why they avoid to model them with every manner. There is a reason behind this why they avoid large scale cities.

Except for Stalingrad... :)

The only large city they avoided doing was Moscow and they said clearly that the reason was time modeling Moscow and all of its landmarks to an acceptable level.

• Upvote 1

I disagree,large scale cities - why they avoid us with every manner to fly over them or why they avoid to model them with every manner. There is a reason behind this why they avoid large scale cities.

When you become a mission builder, or at least experiment in the editor and test as mentioned you can disagree.

• Upvote 2

After adding the building template files multiple times on the Moscow map in the mission editor and doing some performance tests, I have to agree that buildings have a neglectable impact on overall performance when flying over a map. So I guess it's indeed the size of the landscape mesh that's the limiting factor when building maps.

Well - floating point errors at some point perhaps as well? I wonder how large before that becomes a problem - or does it?

Edited by Gambit21

I disagree,

Time and resources is the reason. We always have to make compromises. In next-next-gen product I hope to have much larger terrain technology. Pointless thread at this point just generating arguments. Closed.

Jason