Sign in to follow this  
WIS-Redcoat

Bodenplatte Map

To some extent. But there will be planes lacking for a 1940 scenario.

16a4ha9.jpg

I do think the map will be a bit smaller. What you need in the above map is around 400 by 450. That quite a bit bigger than the Kuban map. I think they will cut some of the upper parts and lower parts. 

Edited by I./ZG1_Martijnvdm

wow it's going to be huge!

Wow.. Stop it there. read my second comment. This is a historical map, not something Jason or Han gave me during the weekend....  :huh:

Edited by I./ZG1_Martijnvdm

So once this map gets finished, can we not dust it off and use it for 1940?

Great idea.

There are already some early-ish German aircraft that could be contrived to fit (Bf 109 E-7, He 111 H-6, Ju52/3m).

But are there really any early Allied aircraft?

Seems like a Huge task to build this map.. this is not an area with endless steppe....

Edited by SvAF/F19_Klunk

Seems like a Huge task to build this map.. this is not an area with endless steppe....

Naaa, obviously way easier than creating an open water map in the pacific.

Should be done in a heartbeat

Martijn:

For Your information. Renaming course of our Gruppe during WWII was as following:

I./ZG1 > Erpr.Gr.210 > I./SKG210 > I./ZG1 > I./ZG26 > I./JG6.

On 1 january 1945, I./JG6 flew back from Volkel to it's base over Nejmegen!

its Nijmegen and im gonna enjoy flying there SO much

@jason, if you guys need some consultation on Dutch placenames, spelling or landscape features, gimme a nod.

Edited by schurem

its Nijmegen and im gonna enjoy flying there SO much

@jason, if you guys need some consultation on Dutch placenames, spelling or landscape features, gimme a nod.

Same here!

So once this map gets finished, can we not dust it off and use it for 1940?

With an extension to France the map is good.

Like this one :16834910May16May1940FallGelbdesvg.png.

But as it was announced, the map will be on Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Too bad there is not a part of the map of France.

A map like that has got to have some big serious concrete airfields.

Excellent! :)

Online, you could almost make it a 1940 map if you are happy to crow-bar in aircraft as facsimiles (original Il-2 style)

As with all our maps some compromises will need to be made and size limited in some way.We'll do our best.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Let's not forget the "afsluitdijk"

True, and since the Afsluitdijk separated the Noordzee (North Sea) from the Zuiderzee - nót Zuydersee - in 1932 it is named IJsselmeer. ;)

I've seen it going wrong in several WIP maps in Il2:1946 at AAA, Aviaskins and SAS1946. :biggrin:

Not to mention the unnecessary addition of the Flevopolder. :huh:

Anyway, there are more than 187,000 aerial photographs of the Netherlands and Belgium made by the RAF and USAAF during those years.

https://originals.dotkadata.com/#!1&jaar%5B%5D=1943&jaar%5B%5D=1945

True, and since the Afsluitdijk separated the Noordzee (North Sea) from the Zuiderzee - nót Zuydersee - in 1932 it is named IJsselmeer. ;)

I've seen it going wrong in several WIP maps in Il2:1946 at AAA, Aviaskins and SAS1946. :biggrin:

Not to mention the unnecessary addition of the Flevopolder. :huh:

Anyway, there are more than 187,000 aerial photographs of the Netherlands and Belgium made by the RAF and USAAF during those years.

https://originals.dotkadata.com/#!1&jaar%5B%5D=1943&jaar%5B%5D=1945

Yup, that should help a lot. Airfield near Eindhoven: Link

Interesting..That map gives me a few ideas...

As with all our maps some compromises will need to be made and size limited in some way.We'll do our best.

Jason

When I see the quality of the cards that the team provided I do not worry. :)

Just my 2 cents, taking into account the tiny bits of information of the Bodenplatte area  at this very moment, like no Ardennes included, and the general information about Unternehmen Bodenplatte and its targets this might be (read might be) the map area and size.

Map.jpg

I can not imagine that the map will go further to the east with big cities like Köln, Bonn, Düsseldorf and the Ruhrgebiet to be included.

That is a tremendous amount of work. Or it will given the same solution as Moscow: not flyable but only to be seen from a distance.

More northward the Netherlands is also densily populated with Den Haag, Utrecht and Amsterdam and all the towns in between.

Belgian houses from ROF can be imported to Bodenplatte map by the way. In less than 30 years not so much change in architecture.

But remember it is all speculation.  ;)

And am I completely wrong. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Disclaimer: the used map does not represent the WWII period.

Edited by Uufflakke

Just like to share some ideas, 

since the announcement i have been reading  into bodenplatte , ardennes and market garden. 

The effective air support by the allies in the ardennes conflict was the main cause for bodenplatte. 

It may not be a popular idea but i think there should be two maps.
A northern map covering the netherlands and a soutern map covering the ardennes.

The netherlands by itself is pretty flat the terrain is not that interesting (although i would love to see my home town of rotterdam , or what was left of it by 44/45)

Its the cities that makes it interesting (arhem for example). Dense populations even for that time.

A smaller more detailed ardennes map is a nice opportunity for tanks and thunderbolts, with villages that are choke points, medium mountain ranges and steep ridges (la roche).  

combined could be a map  map stretching from rotterdam/tilburg in the upper left and luxemburg in the lower right corner would include a great part of both conflict areas. 

And i know you  guys do your best , excited here and looking forward!

I found this on Reddit yesterday:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1nEGqkqYUGBipkmMq-NSwixdUHmU&ll=40.59727053282274%2C0&z=2

I was quite surprised to find the IL-2 1946 maps being smaller than the ones in BOx. I think that no matter the size Jason and the Team go for, it's going to be pretty decent for our needs.

Is the ROF map correct? I don't remember it being that HUGE and containing both Paris and Brussels.

Is the ROF map correct? I don't remember it being that HUGE and containing both Paris and Brussels.

I does cover that area - but both Paris and Brussels (and lots of smaller places) are extremely well camouflaged and invisible from the air. ;)   Seriously they just left them out - understandable from a resource POV.

One thing I do not understand though is why these maps have to be perfect rectangles. 

I found this on Reddit yesterday:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1nEGqkqYUGBipkmMq-NSwixdUHmU&ll=40.59727053282274%2C0&z=2

I was quite surprised to find the IL-2 1946 maps being smaller than the ones in BOx. I think that no matter the size Jason and the Team go for, it's going to be pretty decent for our needs.

Another thing about the Il-2 1946 maps is that they were half scale IIRC - ie you could fly RL 100km in 30 minutes at 100kph which rather contributed to the toy town look. BoX maps so much better.

I just hope someone from community(or devs at later date) will make channel map at some point, i just can't go back to CloD!

I does cover that area - but both Paris and Brussels (and lots of smaller places) are extremely well camouflaged and invisible from the air. ;)   Seriously they just left them out - understandable from a resource POV.

Got it. I still don't remember it being so big. I need to reinstall the thing and check it out some day

Another thing about the Il-2 1946 maps is that they were half scale IIRC - ie you could fly RL 100km in 30 minutes at 100kph which rather contributed to the toy town look. BoX maps so much better.

Yet another thing I really don't remember? The only map I know for sure it was scaled down was the BoB map that was available in the Modded version at a 2/3 scale. All the other maps were 1 to 1 scale, else my entire life was a lie.

Edited by Pupo

Is there anything north of Eindhoven / Volkel worth including? Shift the northern edge south and you would get a lot more of Belgium in the map.

Is there anything north of Eindhoven / Volkel worth including? Shift the northern edge south and you would get a lot more of Belgium in the map.

You would miss out Arnhem. Also most of the actual approach routes used by the GAF in Bodenplatte as per post #2.

You would miss out Arnhem. Also most of the actual approach routes used by the GAF in Bodenplatte as per post #2.

Well:

1) This is not Battle of Arnhem

and

2) None of their targets were north of Volkel / Eindhoven, so the areas north of these are of limited value

But moving it south gives more of the wider campaign area. I understand the initial news indicated that it would not be an entire Ardennes map, but given that the operation was part of that campaign the map may as well cover as much of the relevant region as possible.

It is not "Battle of Arnhem", but that would be an interesting addition - but let us be realistic: it is not going to be the "Battle of Bodenplatte" either, that is just a catchy name. About half of the German units that flew in Bodenplatte were based north of Eindhoven: as you can see on the map, they were also based well back from the border since their main job at this stage of the war was bomber interception rather than tactical air support. That would be problematic for a BoX map as well: too much urban area.   I doubt that we will see missions with whole JGs attacking airfields defended by dozens on guns except in my AA test mission!  In short we will get a practically doable map for people to do their ususal BoX stuff in a NW Europe setting, it almost does not matter where it actually is.

I would love to have a map covering that whole area but I know it is just not possible so I will just be happy to have a NW Europe map on which to attack tanks in my rocket firing Typhoon. hint, hint.... ;) 

• Upvote 1

It would certainly not be Battle of Arnhem, but Battle of Market Garden  :biggrin:

It is not "Battle of Arnhem", but that would be an interesting addition - but let us be realistic: it is not going to be the "Battle of Bodenplatte" either, that is just a catchy name. About half of the German units that flew in Bodenplatte were based north of Eindhoven: as you can see on the map, they were also based well back from the border since their main job at this stage of the war was bomber interception rather than tactical air support. That would be problematic for a BoX map as well: too much urban area.   I doubt that we will see missions with whole JGs attacking airfields defended by dozens on guns except in my AA test mission!  In short we will get a practically doable map for people to do their ususal BoX stuff in a NW Europe setting, it almost does not matter where it actually is.

I would love to have a map covering that whole area but I know it is just not possible so I will just be happy to have a NW Europe map on which to attack tanks in my rocket firing Typhoon. hint, hint.... ;)

You have a point there , that leaves a map that actually covers the south of the netherlands , rotterdam / the hague in the out of flyable zone scope , like moscow. stretching to the bases in the east. 

I have seen some impressive cities in other sims at this moment , procedural city construction is not that much different from tree rendering. We could be in for some surprise. Add landmarks and we have  map. 

Dont forget we have some ambitious programmers here, the battle of kuban map is also pretty big.

I do think two maps will be made eventually, a lot of work has already been done for belguim and the ardennes are also an important part of WW I

And beside all the hopefull thoughts , cant wait to step back in time and fly over areas I know pretty well.

the ideal map should be the same size than the one of Rise of Flight but some 100 to 150 km more to the north.  :salute: 

That would have been the ideal RoF map as well! Missing out the very southern German/French border where nothing much happened but including Belgium upto the coast. Would also be the ultimate map for Flying Circus.

If Paris is just too much to model just take a bite out of the SW corner - no reason why maps have to be perfect rectangles.

Paris is supposed to be on the ROF map? Brussels too? My whole life is a lie.

Anyway, they should work in the Battle of the Bulge. Then we could go tank hunting. Typhoons for the win.

• Upvote 1

Anyway, they should work in the Battle of the Bulge. Then we could go tank hunting. Typhoons for the win.

When the weather was too poor to fly in?

The Ardennes/Bulge area is also short on airfields.

The map being chosen is done so for good reasons.

When the weather was too poor to fly in?

The Ardennes/Bulge area is also short on airfields.

The map being chosen is done so for good reasons.

The second half of the battle of the bulge saw extensive allied ground attack aircraft support, attacking the Germans and helping to roll them back.