Han

Developer Diary, Part 183 - Discussion

Hello everybody,
three weeks ago I promised that we'll publish an article about Soviet VVS pilots and here it is now. It is also compiled by I./ZG1_Panzerbar (216th_Lucas_From_Hell helped with the initial translation), who created the skins for La-5FN fighter that is coming to our sim.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 8

Nice one! :)

Interesting to read, that most of these men actually survived the war.

Edited by Blooddawn1942

looking good, i finally had the money to pick up the La-5FN, my collection is complete once more :D

I'm surprised to don't see any white/winter skin...

We need one at least i think if there was some

Also does109G6 and La-6Fn will be released at the same time as 3.001 version ?

Edited by 64sTomio
  • Upvote 1

Nice skins!!

The rear visibility is worse than i imagined, but still much better than La5.

I noticed the last screenshot shows the rain on canopy ;)

Very nice looking bird. Can't wait to fly it.

The cockpit is looking interesting as well. Not quite the view we have from the Yak-1B pit, but certainly a lot better than we currently have on the La-5. With that big slab of armored glass in front of our noses, I guess we have to be thankful that refraction isn't modeled  :unsure:

As usual stunning work by Panzerbär. He really deserves all the credit in the world.  :salute:

I'm surprised to don't see any white/winter skin...

We need one at least i think if there was some

There were none, at least officially.

The new camouflage regulations from late summer 1943 was meant to be an "all seasons" camo scheme with no need for a winter distemper and as such hardly any Soviet aircraft were painted white for the last 2 winters of the war. 

post-360-0-85188100-1513343167_thumb.jpg

like it! already ordered :biggrin:

Чудесного Рождества!

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

In addition to skin #10 owner story - Vitaly Ivanovich Popkov

• Upvote 8

Strange, there are not the La-5FN of Ivan Nikitovich Kozhedub (at least, I did not see it), the top scoring fighter pilot on the Allied side during World War II.

P.D.: Now I see it. Is "white 14". He later passed that plane to Yevstigneyev.

Edited by Tag777

It's a shame they had to use a Zlin and Yak 18 as a stand-in for the LA.

Strange, there are not the La-5FN of Ivan Nikitovich Kozhedub (at least, I did not see it), the top scoring fighter pilot on the Allied side during World War II.

yep, but there is no source for Kozhedub's La-5FN skin available. There is only photo of him and his La-5F.

So if someone will find it - offcourse we will draw it.

• Upvote 3

Looking good! Nice that we still have the old green and black scheme and then the newer grey scheme. Love the pilot bios and the cockpit images. Can't wait to fly the La-5FN!

One question about the La-5FN: In various sources I’ve seen different ammunition loads listed for the ShVAKs: 170 rounds per gun, 170 for one gun and 200 for the other or 200 for both guns. Will we get to choose different loads of have you settled on one?

Looks really great! I was expecting the forward / down view to be way worse but it looks very flyable, leading your shots won't be as hard as I thought they were going to be! 

Also which skin is the "pre-order special"?   :salute:

Got a question for Lobano´s La-5

Every source available in the net (at least for me) shows the red heart painted over the small logo on the sides of the engine cowling.Why the difference on this specific skin,and is there a photo from this plane available?

kind regards

Nice! :)

One minor correction: Czech pilot's name is actually Kocfelda (pronounced Kotsfelda), not Kochfelda.

Thank you Dev's for DD.
Excellent Panzerbar skins and for research work.
Looking forward to getting La5FN and BF109G-6 soon.

what to say? I'm as wet to see this cockpit as the cockpit itself in the last pic!

This movie is just amazing!

• Upvote 1

One question about the La-5FN: In various sources I’ve seen different ammunition loads listed for the ShVAKs: 170 rounds per gun, 170 for one gun and 200 for the other or 200 for both guns. Will we get to choose different loads of have you settled on one?

+1. Same

I need 400 rounds to break my record of 12 victories with La-5 xD

Edited by 64sTomio

Han, why this video show the La-5FN with Germans Markings from 1:15:55 to 1:16:15 shooting at his own comrades??? :dry:

post-14161-0-40967300-1513352567_thumb.jpg

Edited by Livai

Han, why this video show the La-5FN with Germans Markings from 1:15:55 to 1:16:15 shooting at his own comrades??? :dry:

They didn't have messers nor la-5fns to film the movie. You hunt with the dog that you have :)

• Upvote 1

She's a good plane. Gonna be a PITA to fight her in the right hands. Should be fun. Still amazed at how far the landscape has come in these short years since BOS EA.

„He made more than 300 combat sorties, conducted 68 air battles, scored 13 personal and 6 group air victories”

„He made 286 sorties, particiapted in 52 air battles, scored 20 air victories”

„flew more than 130 sorties, conducted 40 air battles in which he gained 11 air victories”

„he carried out about 350 sorties, conducted more than 35 air battles, gained 19 air victories personally”

„He made 98 sorties, conducting 44 air battles in which he scored 11 personal and 1 group victory”

„Total performed 423 sorties, conducted 102 air battles, which scored 19 personal and 3 group victories”

„in total Vitaly Popkov made 475 sorties, conducted 117 air battles, scored 40 air victories”

„a total of 283 sorties, participated in 113 air battles, and scored 55 air victories”

„375 combat sorties, 104 air battles, 31 personal and 3 air victories in a group”

„made 472 combat sorties, conducted 22 air battles, scored 4 personal and 7 group air victories”

These people were ace pilots IRL. They flew altogether 3192 combat missions, out of which only every 5th resulted in an actual combat (700), out of which they only scored 232 kills, that is, one for 3 actual combats, and one for 14 combat missions. We are Supermen.

Edited by sniperton
  • Upvote 2

Beautiful plane, and fine compliment to the aircraft set of 1943. I have looked forward to the La5FN since its ancestor the La5 was announced for Stalingrad.

Also, my compliments to the skin artists, researchers and writers for the skins and pilot biographies which bring the Bf109G-6 and La5FN stories back to life. :salute:

...and as for the news about improved wild steppe textures for stalingrad last week and cockpit shots showing the redesigned rain feature this week; Kudos!

Had tremendous fun tonight on the Normal DD server with the regular La-5. 8 kills in little over half an hour. Can't wait to get my hands of its more powerful descendant. 

Beautiful skin !!

Why thank you, I use moisturiser every morning!

Joking aside, couldn't agree more (about the aircraft skin(s)!

Regards

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 1

I very much enjoy the la5f but feel it's handicaps of almost no rear visibility are too severe.

I'm very much looking forward to both La5FN and P39 Airacobra. Cannot wait.

The rain drop effect appears to more subtle, is this a change or is it a lighter weather?

I would suggest to tone down shadows in overcast weather. Maybe there shouldn’t be any.

Correct the spelling of the Czech pilot's name please. It would be a pitty if it appears misspelled when the La 5FN is released finally. Thx.

„He made more than 300 combat sorties, conducted 68 air battles, scored 13 personal and 6 group air victories”

„He made 286 sorties, particiapted in 52 air battles, scored 20 air victories”

„flew more than 130 sorties, conducted 40 air battles in which he gained 11 air victories”

„he carried out about 350 sorties, conducted more than 35 air battles, gained 19 air victories personally”

„He made 98 sorties, conducting 44 air battles in which he scored 11 personal and 1 group victory”

„Total performed 423 sorties, conducted 102 air battles, which scored 19 personal and 3 group victories”

„in total Vitaly Popkov made 475 sorties, conducted 117 air battles, scored 40 air victories”

„a total of 283 sorties, participated in 113 air battles, and scored 55 air victories”

„375 combat sorties, 104 air battles, 31 personal and 3 air victories in a group”

„made 472 combat sorties, conducted 22 air battles, scored 4 personal and 7 group air victories”

These people were ace pilots IRL. They flew altogether 3192 combat missions, out of which only every 5th resulted in an actual combat (700), out of which they only scored 232 kills, that is, one for 3 actual combats, and one for 14 combat missions. We are Supermen.

They were fighting a war. We're here for entertainment.

Still, quite remarkable the collection of aces they have there and wonderful to see so many different aircraft and their livery represented.

EDIT: According to my account summary for the IL-2 campaign I have 909 campaign flight victories. We won't mention how many times my virtual pilot didn't make it back. :)

Edited by ShamrockOneFive