Coconut's dynamic campaign hardcore and casual

coconut

KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82

Well, all times when we (3-5) people joined the server, we could never use the same planes.

You can be very lucky if you find on some AF 3x Ju87 (as example as we are flying this machine primarly).

Making them to (just rolling a count here into the discussion) maybe 8x available Ju87 (and other planes off course) would be a good idea, at least we could try.

Also, the coconut server was in my experience (but I play only since August '17) never an overrun or crowded server. Increase the planes could bring some more players in (if this is wished).

It's a bit of a complicated nut to crack, balancing resource management and gameplay (having enough of one plane type so that 3 or 4 people can fly same plane). Maybe some sort of consolidation routine beyond the AI plane ferrying already in place, so if you have for example 2 airfields within a certain distance of one another, each of them has 1 Yak-1 at the end of the mission, before the next mission one of those will be shuttled "off map" so there are now 2 Yak-1s at one airfield and 0 at the other. Squadron reserve also a good possible option. 

ACG_HotLunch

I mean, you guys could do what I try to do and transfer a couple planes to forward airbases after every offensive/defensive sortie.

Also, I'd love to see a successful paradrop gain you some points. It would make those kinds of missions just a tad bit more rewarding. Can't wait for the server's return.

StG77_Kondor

Hi Coconut, just had a great time in your server! Did a few attacks from rear AFs and landed at the frontline AF (not a neutral one, but controlled by my side). I thought the planes should transfer right? 

StG77_Kondor

When the next mission starts it should show up there, if there wasn't already one of that type.

Gotcha thank you! I thought it was immediate. Good to know.

hey coconut had a great time last night checking out the servers.  expert one is fantastic!  look forward to heading back 

who names their kid coconut said a friend in channel.  hahaha

wombatBritishBulldogs

Flying on the normal Server last night I was contacted by 85Camm ! but  looks like i gave him wrong email while battling with Ai for info on his Squadron !  If your about could you reply to email i sent to your Bos account or if anyone else knows details could you send me a pm to save taking up room here ! Apologies for this people 

another nice run on the expert server. fantastic setup. tank battle was really something. lots of action to find.

lingered a little long over enemy airbase ended up on enemy tail- couldnt catch a 109 going 500kph after sometime tracking him, I have five 109s around me. cant beleive i lived to tell about it.

what ciry is the server. 0 ping!

Edited by katdog5

LeLv30_Redwing

Yesterday there were 30 players ( 15 Red!! ) and even co-operated attacks at least on Blue side, very pleased to see people are finding also other servers than just WOL / TAW! Question to Coconut; is Kuban map still in rotation or am I just unlucky to fly every time Stalingrad is up?

Thank you for your effort with the maps, hope to see player numbers growing up :salute:

is Kuban map still in rotation or am I just unlucky to fly every time Stalingrad is up

There is no rotation, it's just me picking the map when I start the campaign. In this case I just kept the same config I had before Xmas. I'll change it when the current campaign ends, though I'm not sure to what. I also have a Velikie-Luki and another Stalingrad campaign in addition to Kuban. Moscow also has one, but I don't like it too much. I might still put it, maybe players like it more than I do.

LeLv30_Redwing

Please, put Kuban next. There ain't many servers having that map and with your system it would easily be the most interesting to fly, from my squads point of view.

StG77_Kondor

Hi Coconut,

Question on the Ju-52 supply missions.  As I understand it, currently you have to land at the base and unload the cargo. Is it possible to use the MAB supply containers as well? This way a 52 wouldn't have to land in a contested area? Thanks, love the server :)

Hi, just flew a few ground attack missions on the server and enjoyed it significantly. Excellent job on the design, and on the manual as well. 

One question I had though - does the Allied side not have any means of doing Supply Transport missions, since we have no dedicated aircraft for that?

Pe-2 with "Empty" loadout. You can takeoff, fly to the target base and land and come to a stop. Then take off and return home, that way that base doesn't get too many Pe-2s in it's pool.

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to add Bf 110-E2 or Bf 110-G2 to the LW planeset? Can't find any of those.

E2 is in the stalingrad scenario (currently on expert server) and G2 in the Kuban one (normal server)

Hi Coconut,

Question on the Ju-52 supply missions.  As I understand it, currently you have to land at the base and unload the cargo. Is it possible to use the MAB supply containers as well? This way a 52 wouldn't have to land in a contested area? Thanks, love the server :)

Not sure it's feasible. That would require a complex MCU for each airfield to detect the container drops, and those are supposedly heavy on resources.

By the way, I'll be busy with real life stuff these next two months, so it's going to be a while before I add new features.

Today's updates

• Durability of parked planes decreased to 2000. They are still pretty touch, but as durability can only be adjusted by steps of 500, I could not test other lower value. 1500 is extremely weak, a single small calibre bullet destroys the object. 2000 requires a couple well-aimed generous cannon bursts.
  • Changed the algorithm that picks the new planes to produce. The current one picks a random plane in the category that's missing the most (i.e. bomber, attacker, fighter, transport), which in the current mission has lead to 0 bf110e2 being available. Not sure that will solve it, let's see how it goes.
  • New in-game chat notifications about players taking off and landing. They are only visible to your side, the enemy does not see them.

Sadly, I can't even test those changes, master server doesn't like me. Expert server is down for the same reason. :(

It's up again

Edited by coconut

Yes, the parked planes were too strong, I made multiple passes on a 109 with 23MM and didn't destroy him. Also noticed new notifications, "Player took off from Base X in a bomber" etc

Yes, the parked planes were too strong, I made multiple passes on a 109 with 23MM and didn't destroy him. Also noticed new notifications, "Player took off from Base X in a bomber" etc

Right, I forgot about that. Edited my post above.

6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

I actually am slightly ashamed of not really having discovered how cool this Server is until now. It's absolutely Top Notch. You have done an absolutely Excellent Job coconut.

The Weather is challenging, the Targets are fun and the System makes Sense. 

Emil always swears by you, and now I really get why. 

• Upvote 1

KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82

Well, all times when we (3-5) people joined the server, we could never use the same planes.

You can be very lucky if you find on some AF 3x Ju87 (as example as we are flying this machine primarly).

Making them to (just rolling a count here into the discussion) maybe 8x available Ju87 (and other planes off course) would be a good idea, at least we could try.

Also, the coconut server was in my experience (but I play only since August '17) never an overrun or crowded server. Increase the planes could bring some more players in (if this is wished).

@Coconut

And?

Any thoughts about this idea or some other suggestion?

The concept of the server is great, and its atmospheric. Today we flown out near Stalingrad Summer to help out ground troops defending some heavily burning AF.

I got shot by some enemy plane and had to land on this AF. Enemy ground forces did not took it (if this is possible :) ) but my landed Ju87 was gone anyway.

To cook this out:     .  .  .   we were flying only one mission, after that we pretty fast left the server, cause of no planes left (2 of 3 StuKa's landed on this front near AF).

PS:

Also, any wing or squadron on some AF with only 3x planes is simply NOT "combat ready".....sooooo, would be nice to bring it to a little more historic standard :ph34r:

Edited by KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82

I actually am slightly ashamed of not really having discovered how cool this Server is until now. It's absolutely Top Notch. You have done an absolutely Excellent Job coconut.

Thanks, glad to have you on my server.

@Coconut And? Any thoughts about this idea or some other suggestion?

The problem has two possible causes: 1) Too few planes injected in the mission, 2) Too many planes destroyed.

The solution to 1 has received a partial tweak, now more planes of the depleted models should be produced. It's not that more planes are made, it's just that the algorithm is better at producing the popular planes. It will take a few days or so to see if I also need to ramp up the overall plane production. Maybe make it dependent on the number of players. In the previous campaigns, before the sudden rise in popularity, there could be over 100 planes of a certain type at the rear airfield.

Another potential solution suggested a while ago is to offer infinite planes from an airfield that is far outside of the play area, but I'm not sure it will solve the problem. It requires a substantial amount of players to be willing to run low-risk missions/transfers from these "plane factories".

The solution to 2 has been discussed above: planes reserved for squads, and maybe preventing the serial plane crashers from taking off from front airfields.

Edited by coconut

Of course its not over. Momentary frustration. But yes, its hard to see so many LW only pilots now also over here, flying absolutely regardless of player numbers.

KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82

@Coconut

:good:

Yeah, we will see off course.

We / I like your server.

@216th_Nocke

Well, that was yesterday the case, but normally its not like that in my experience :salute:

StG77_Kondor

Of course its not over. Momentary frustration. But yes, its hard to see so many LW only pilots now also over here, flying absolutely regardless of player numbers.

I was on Euro primetime on Saturday and it was even teams with over 12 per side. I think with some pushing along we can get some of the other Red-only squads to fly here more often. It really is better for everyone compared to the usual air-quake servers.

56RAF_Roblex

I know you, and other server creators,  must have considered this and rejected it but....    what are your thoughts on only allowing half the available slots to be LW or VVS?   Obviously it will not stop imbalance happening but it will stop one side from taking most of the slots so there is no way the other side can balance it.    If someone comes along and wants to fly Blue when Blue already dominate 16 to 8 then they must fly Red or go somewhere else.

SCG_OpticFlow

Don't worry, many of them crash on take-off, "capture" enemy AFs War Thunder style, or shoot at their own team mates. The moment all F4s are crashed, the blue crowd is gone and we're back to 3-4 regulars.

I know you, and other server creators,  must have considered this and rejected it but....    what are your thoughts on only allowing half the available slots to be LW or VVS?   Obviously it will not stop imbalance happening but it will stop one side from taking most of the slots so there is no way the other side can balance it.    If someone comes along and wants to fly Blue when Blue already dominate 16 to 8 then they must fly Red or go somewhere else.

I'll probably enable something like that. The problem is that I don't think the existing balancing mechanism allows that, I'll have to do a scripted solution. Another problem is that you can't stop someone from joining a coalition, you can only kick them out after they take off, and I'm not very fond of this mechanism.

And of course, it's also an obstacle to let squadrons fly together, but I suppose that's a price worth paying if it brings balance back.

What about adding more supplies and replacement planes for the outnumbered side (based on the previous mission's flight hours per side)? User sees no change but it is somewhat addressed. 

I know it's probably difficult and time consuming to add, but I'd like to see red side have the 1941 IL2 and some p40s and blue side have the pasta shooter... err MC202. For the last few days, I haven't seen these plane available to fly. 

Also, the country color coding is backwards. Red side has blue icons and Blue has red icons... It should be red side has red icons and blue has blue icons. (This is probably because in the ME, the icon colors are backwards by default.)

Edited by [TWB]Sketch

I know it's probably difficult and time consuming to add, but I'd like to see red side have the 1941 IL2 and some p40s and blue side have the pasta shooter... err MC202. For the last few days, I haven't seen these plane available to fly. 

Also, the country color coding is backwards. Red side has blue icons and Blue has red icons... It should be red side has red icons and blue has blue icons. (This is probably because in the ME, the icon colors are backwards by default.)

Isn't this a player-side setting? Where red will always be vvs, blue=lw? Or am I misunderstanding you? My map icons load correctly for me in the server.

Coconut. Great job! I want to issue an apology to all who have been flying this for a while. I am fairly new to your server and may be one of the dweebs Pike"HarryM" may be referring to. I have to admit I did not read the Campaign manual until yesterday. After reading the manual your server became Awesome. With my new knowledge and apreciation for what you have put together I will be a true team player. I am in the US mountain standard time and normally try to jump on around 9 pm my time. I will jump on discord. I fly for the Axis. Once again thank you Coconut.

• Upvote 2

• SYN_Haashashin pinned this topic