Han

Developer Diary, Part 178 - Discussion

Once again I'm very impressed this week. 1CGS, you guys know how to pull out all of the stops!

Increased render distance, dual layer clouds with more variability, and really great looking metal aircraft surface effects. Nicely done guys! This was already a very good looking sim but these features continue to put it up at the top and in serious competition for the best looking flight sim.

The best metal skin I’ve ever seen in a flight sim. Would love to see on a P 51D!!!

Agreed! :D

Looks great. Will we get the improvements this year?

The environmental effects should be done by end of the year. The metal skins will be applied over time since it take a bit of effort for each one. 

Jason

• Upvote 4

Which planes could Han mean? The only unpainted aircraft that come to my mind are late war USAAF planes.

Or: Battle of the Yalu River...  :cool:

But those clouds make it look like a new sim. Time to get excited all over again!

Edited by No601_Swallow

The metal skins will be applied over time since it take a bit of effort for each one.

Hello Jason,

Will the bare metal be applied in the old templates?

Or the addition of bare metal is just for future templates?

PS: Of course if it is directly applied in templates as texture.

Edited by A-E-Hartmann

Great News !  As we are used to from 1C / 777.

The Best getting even Better !

Another great up date.  Thank you Jason, Han and of course the whole team :salute:

It's a mistake to saying these are small tweaks. This environmental re-work has taken a large effort of programmers, artists and even engineers and it's not done yet. Nothing we do is easy. We do what we can with the time and resources we have. Right now I have more artists than programmers and no money to hire more programmers or engineers which is what I need to do really big things I see some of your requesting over and over. As usual we get creative with our resources to make the sim better over time.

Jason 

I would just like to let you know how great I think all this looks and how much I appreciate all the hard work that everyone there puts in.

Awesome!  :cool:

But with those lovely atmospherics, I may have to buy a new video card to replace the new video card I just bought.

Updates like this make it easy to leave DCS.

Updates like this make me think that getting back into FSX to access top shelf flightsim eye candy is no longer, nor will ever be, required.

• Upvote 2

I especially like the dual layer of clouds. And the extended range. Great work!

Damn. Really been pushing the envelope lately with these development additions. The sim is looking better than ever. I guess I'm going to have to save up for a nice hardware upgrade since these new features are begging for a top notch system to run on. I know Jason said last development update that these additions came with little additional overhead from 2.12, but I think its time to squirrel away some nickels for a coffee lake upgrade so this can be enjoyed properly. Well done again team.

NIce to see the new clouds in actions already, looking great!

Also the refinements of the specular tech sound promising. We definetly need more bare metal beauties.

Which planes could Han mean? The only unpainted aircraft that come to my mind are late war USAAF planes.

MiG-19 and F-100 of course!

Ju-52.jpg.jpg.2353508.jpg

• Upvote 7

Brilliant work in progress.  Makes me wonder how the Pacific will be done as I was recently flying out of  Tokyo down to Australia and admiring the clouds the Pacific had on display.  The multiple layers, the huge thunder headed clouds rising from the sea to as high as I could perceive.  Flying and fighting round there would not have been a picnic.

As for bear metal skinned aircraft, I was thinking the F86 and the Mig15 with many B29's for the Migs to shoot down.  Interesting declassified material now on the Korean War.  Not at all what we in the West were led to believe with regards to the Air War.

Then there are the last Gen prop aircraft participating in it as well.  Interesting from a War Birds perspective.

Very atmospheric with the new cloud work. Really appreciating how far you guys go in such a short time frame. 

Swedish meatballs? Nah, that would be the "poor man's Fw-190" aka the J22. Maybe an upcoming collectors plane? :ph34r:

Well we Did have some Italian candy with meatballs in the Swedish Airforce even though never a Macchi; the Fiat CR42 Falco a.k.a J11 and the Reggiane Re. 2000 a.k.a J20

Best dev team ever!!!

Thank you so much for these weekly updates and the goodies you guys produce.

Awesome!!!

Well we Did have some Italian candy with meatballs in the Swedish Airforce even though never a Macchi; the Fiat CR42 Falco a.k.a J11 and the Reggiane Re. 2000 a.k.a J20

And let's not forget the "beloved" Caproni! But what would be really different would be the pusher J21!

• Upvote 1

Ju-52.jpg.jpg.2353508.jpg

I'm on my mobile telephone so I seriously had to zoom and squint to tell if that was a screen over Kuban or a real photograph.

• Upvote 2

Great update! Looks like the best clouds I've ever seen in a flight sim will get even better. Thanks :)

OK this is just awesome..

Question is how layered can we make these cloud's... from stratus to cirrus all the inbetween... I know it's early to say but I love the feel every time I'd get on an airliner and the accent to flight level through the cloud layers is just breath taking..

I can't wait for this feature to be in our sim...

Gents,

My first home computer was a Commodore 64 and I remember playing a Mouse Maze game with white sprites as the mouse, a black one for the rat chasing you, with a yellow sprite as the cheese, that cost more to buy than BOS. However, I think that as this update has shown the home PC these days is leaps and bounds ahead of the 64, however, we perhaps sometimes just need to remember that there are limitations with a home PC and perhaps we need to manage our expectations. With each update etc, although I'm blown away with the level of realism etc, it is very easy to become blinkered to the fact regarding the actual about of time, effort and work etc that has gone into changing things. That said, the more we push the limits of programmers the more perhaps we can expect from them and the more things will evolve.

Currently for me, I'm blown away with how each up-date makes the whole IL2 sim experience much more enjoyable and realistic.  I just need to invest in VR to totally immerse myself in those clouds!

Thank you to both Jason and The team!

Regards

Edited by Haza
  • Upvote 1

Great to see the range improvements and extra layer for clouds, it's the little things that start adding up :good:

Here's a few more pics of the 202 with a metal skin. Swedish meatballs any one? You can adjust the shine with the Alpha. The guys have at my request adjusted our spec tech to make metal skins look better. They did not disappoint.

Ignore everything else in the pics. It's a WIP Dev build.

Jason

The inner välfärd in me is growing big now.

When will we get the glorious Swedish air force during WW2? J 22, Saab 21, Saab B3 and Saab B17.

It's a mistake to saying these are small tweaks. This environmental re-work has taken a large effort of programmers, artists and even engineers and it's not done yet. Nothing we do is easy. We do what we can with the time and resources we have. Right now I have more artists than programmers and no money to hire more programmers or engineers which is what I need to do really big things I see some of your requesting over and over. As usual we get creative with our resources to make the sim better over time.

Jason

Thanks for all the hard work and your candor. Do the programming resource constraints mean that the new COOP and Air Marshall features will have to wait for release Post Kuban?

Beautiful clouds, just beautiful. We have the best clouds, don't we folks? Best clouds, really beautiful :-)

Two comments: I feel that the sea in the Bf-110 screenie is too blue. It should reflect the grey of the clouds.

That last Swedish meatball screenie, flying over the row of trees... - Wauw, I just cannot believe how great the taut skin stretched over the wing spars looks! - Amazing.

Lovely update. Great Russian influence, nothing to complain about here!

Great work team, it's impressive to see more and more improvements with every new Dev Diary. The work you guys put out is amazing. So i guess all these new things need a lot of testing very soon? Right? Right? *nudge nudge*