Han

Developer Diary, Part 178 - Discussion

Hello everybody,
today we'll briefly tell you about two new features. First, in conjunction with increasing the landscape rendering distance, we also increased the clouds rendering distance - they are now visible almost three times further than before.
The second new feature is related to the look of the bare metal parts on various aircraft - in the future, we plan to make planes that weren't painted and had a polished or matte aluminum finish. 

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 10

Those clouds look amazing.

Not seeing much of a difference in the first picture though.

I had to look twice also but you can clearly see it at the illumination of the bellies of the aircrafts, they now have correct shading.

Yes I was wondering about that bare metal Macchi skin. Wondering if it is just new lighting or does it have spec mapping for a realistic metal look. Can't tell in a still pic though.

The new clouds and rendering distance are great. You guys are going to have the Pacific looking really nice!

I had to look twice also but you can clearly see it at the illumination of the bellies of the aircrafts, they now have correct shading.

Yeah, after a second look it looks very nice! You can see the landscape reflecting off of the bare metal - in the current version there is shading but a lack of actual reflection.

Thank you for this excellent DD.
The rendering of clouds and distance is superb.

For the rendering of metal on the skins is excellent.

Continue to fire us dream. :salute: 
It's Christmas at every DD. :) 

I really love this sim and this team and how they continue to improve the existing game. It is above and beyond any dev team I have seen before.

However, I really wish time was spent on some of the problems that truly affect gameplay, instead of nice-to-haves like metallic effects. Things like the dismal state of the DServer and the small render range of aircraft and objects.

I'm that guy this dev diary, I know, but nothing in this one gets me excited unfortunately.

• Upvote 5

As usual bloody brilliant!

The clouds and lighting look gorgeous.

I think to fully appreciate the difference with the bare metal redering, you’d have to see it in motion.

So there are no news about the Cooperative mode?

So sad :(

Why are you sad about that? You know it’s coming, and you know just about which features will be available from the start.

I really love this sim and this team and how they continue to improve the existing game. It is above and beyond any dev team I have seen before.

However, I really wish time was spent on some of the problems that truly affect gameplay, instead of nice-to-haves like metallic effects. Things like the dismal state of the DServer and the small render range of aircraft and objects.

I'm that guy this dev diary, I know, but nothing in this one gets me excited unfortunately.

I think smaller tweaks like this occur more often because they've pretty much expended their resources on large scale recoding/reworking this dev cycle. Come next dev cycle, I'm sure we'll see some of these things get addressed.

• Upvote 4

Wonderful news, all of it, my pc can render this I hope. Great job what a gift for us all IL2 enthusiast, thanks. :salute: 

I'm that guy this dev diary, I know, but nothing in this one gets me excited unfortunately.

Thanks for mentioning Dserver(I repeat the word every time I peal an onion). Its always great to see the SIM get better though! Great images.

I guess that in terms of environment on Midway, there will hardly be any land masses at all. All we have is the ocean, the sky and the ships. Considering that these are the only ingredients in the air war soup we will find us in, I wonder if the team will work towards a more advanced cloud tech, opening up more possibilities for different layers, cloud types and what not. It looks like they have come a long way with water physics, even though I guess that they might also improve and develop this as well.

As land is nowhere to be found, I think these two elements; air and water, need a lot of attention in order to present a authentic sensation - even though they look sweet aleady.

Any thoughts?

Wow... This update really placed a smile on my face... clouds are an essential part of a flightsim, and as I mentioned in another thread months ago, better representation of these are even more important in the upcoming titles... Han you just made my day

Here's a few more pics of the 202 with a metal skin. Swedish meatballs any one? You can adjust the shine with the Alpha. The guys have at my request adjusted our spec tech to make metal skins look better. They did not disappoint.

Macchi_Metal_1.png Macchi_Metal_2.png

Macchi_Metal_3.png Macchi_Metal_4.png 

Macchi_Metal_5.png Macchi_Metal_6.png

Macchi_Metal_7.png Macchi_Metal_8.png

Macchi_Metal_9.png Macchi_Metal_10.png

Ignore everything else in the pics. It's a WIP Dev build.

Jason

• Upvote 26

I think smaller tweaks like this occur more often because they've pretty much expended their resources on large scale recoding/reworking this dev cycle. Come next dev cycle, I'm sure we'll see some of these things get addressed.

It's a mistake to saying these are small tweaks. This environmental re-work has taken a large effort of programmers, artists and even engineers and it's not done yet. Nothing we do is easy. We do what we can with the time and resources we have. Right now I have more artists than programmers and no money to hire more programmers or engineers which is what I need to do really big things I see some of your requesting over and over. As usual we get creative with our resources to make the sim better over time.

Jason 

• Upvote 25

good artists of course , the map and sky are more and more amazing .

Edited by sport02

Here's a few more pics of the 202 with a metal skin. Swedish meatballs any one? You can adjust the shine with the Alpha. The guys have at my request adjusted our spec tech to make metal skins look better.

Jason

Lordy lordy...

I do believe I'm catching the vapors...

I loved this sim when I first bought it.

It's even better now.

My thanks to the team, well done!  :)

• Upvote 1

It's a mistake to saying these are small tweaks. This environmental re-work has taken a large effort of programmers, artists and even engineers and it's not done yet. Nothing we do is easy. We do what we can with the time and resources we have. Right now I have more artists than programmers and no money to hire more programmers or engineers which is what I need to do really big things I see some of your requesting over and over. As usual we get creative with our resources to make the sim better over time.

Jason 

Totally get it man. Extra design resources aren't going to help the DServer, but that doesn't mean they should sit idle, so I gotcha. Sorry for being sorta negative!

I loved this sim when I first bought it.

It's even better now.

My thanks to the team, well done!  :)

Truth!

...in the future, we plan to make planes that weren't painted and had a polished or matte aluminum finish

Which planes could Han mean? The only unpainted aircraft that come to my mind are late war USAAF planes.

Which planes could Han mean? The only unpainted aircraft that come to my mind are late war USAAF planes.

Some mid-war Japanese Army planes as well.

• Upvote 4

@Jason_Williams

Will we get the  MK 108  for the BF 109 G6 ?

Could you do us all a huge favor and stop spamming this in every thread?

Not only have we heard you the first 100 times, I'm sure the team has too.

They can announce the inclusion or lack thereof whenever the hell it pleases them.

Didn't some of the Japanese aircraft forgo paint?

Jason 

I think you're well and aware of what I meant by that. If you choose to take it as some sort of personal jab towards the team, that's your call.

Edited by Space_Ghost

Here's a few more pics of the 202 with a metal skin. Swedish meatballs any one? You can adjust the shine with the Alpha. The guys have at my request adjusted our spec tech to make metal skins look better. They did not disappoint.

Macchi_Metal_1.png Macchi_Metal_2.png

Macchi_Metal_3.png Macchi_Metal_4.png

Macchi_Metal_5.png Macchi_Metal_6.png

Macchi_Metal_7.png Macchi_Metal_8.png

Macchi_Metal_9.png Macchi_Metal_10.png

Jason

Daaaamn, there are some nice shots there.

I remember i asked this on the first Q&A, glad to see it's coming!!

I for one care more about the clouds and horizon distance than about the amount of rivets on a Ju-88 or the fact that multiplayer is not "balanced". I am in this for the feeling of flight, and these screenshots of cloud layers and such... I am tearing up. It already is so beautiful, and it's just getting better and better! Thanks guys. Keep at it !

• Upvote 4

The best metal skin I’ve ever seen in a flight sim. Would love to see on a P 51D!!!

• Upvote 4

@Jason_Williams

Will we get the  MK 108  for the BF 109 G6 ?

I've already confirmed this several times. 

Jason

• Upvote 6