Seeing as there is a discussion about Okinawa I decided to make one about Midway, mostly about the aircraft and which ones we are likely to see.

I'm very excited about Midway and I can't wait to take off from some carriers in search of the enemy fleet. Most of all I can't wait to fly the TBD Devastator.

Anyone have any idea about the planeset we are likely to see?

Non of this is confirmed but based of what I saw in the Pacific Theater Forum I think the Japanese Plane set is pretty much worked out.

Japanese:

Fighter: A6M Model 21 "Zeke"

Dive Bomber: D3A1 "Val"

Torpedo Bomber: B5N2 "Kate"

Float/Recon: F1M2 "Pete"

Collector Aircraft: ???

American

Fighter: F4F-4 Wildcat

Dive Bomber: SBD-3 Dauntless

Torpedo Bomber: TBD-1 Devastator

Float/Recon: PBY Catalina (hopefully) 

Collector: ??? (Options: TBF-1 Avenger,  B-26 Marauder,  SB2U-3 Vindicator, F2A Buffalo) Personally I hope it's the B-26 or the F2A Buffalo.

What are yall excited for, and what do you think the plane set could be?

There are some other threads that have discussed this. In particular:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25087-battle-midway-1943-plane-set-me/ -- Battle of Midway Planeset

See also:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25180-battle-midway-and-battle-okinawa/ -- Battle of Midway and Battle of Okinawa

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30335-midway-and-seaplane-tech/ -- Midway and seaplane tech

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/27486-opposing-fleets-midway/ -- Opposing fleets at Midway

I'd want the two collectors to be the A5M4 and the F2A Buffalo. Your normal list is probably spot on. Everyone is throwing around the G4M as a possibility when its not a good fit for carrier ops. Those can show up in Guadalcanal.

Edited by Field-Ops

Keeping with the way plane sets go. 2x fighters for each side, 1x torpedo bomber a side, 1x dive bomber a side, 1x float plae a side. It had a hand in the actual battle of midway. Its in the same boat as the buffalo in that it was nearing the end of its service life during midway. The Buffalo and the A5M had similar numbers to each other that participated at Midway. If we want to to follow a 2x fighters for each side then thats the best option.

Edited by Field-Ops

Hmpf, but thats really forcing it. I mean there is no rule that plane set has to be that way and considering Zero and Pete you already get the two (though Pete is hardly a fighter even if it was used sometimes in that role). Wasting a slot for a A5M4 that had no impact or even use during battle (there were few aboard older carriers indeed, but had no eventful actions those days). Buffalo on the other hand was not only present "around" but took direct part in a battle, suffered losses and scored victories. Plus Buffalo has (at least on paper) similar characteristics to Wildcat, A5M4 on the other hand is no way near the Zero or even two American fighters.

On a sidenote I find it hard to obtain any reliable data on primary Japanese aircraft, even older A5M4 would be substantially harder to research.

Making A5M4 a collector plane would be weird to put it delicately.

What makes a collector plane in this game? Is it the uber planes that win all of the battles? Or is it the planes less flown with few numbers, weather or not it was an uber plane? Get another plane thats not a G4M then like a D4Y. Now the US needs the TBF to keep up. See how that gets unbalanced so quick? I guess we can just do the TBF and D4Y as collectors and scrap the buffalo.  I'll leave it with that.

EDIT: Another little tidbit, I can entirely see them omitting the Catalina in favor of the OS2U Kingfisher in order to more evenly match with the F1M2 for its duties.

Edited by Field-Ops
  • Upvote 1

I expect the Kingfisher as the de facto float-plane, but I'd weep silently into the pacific if there isn't a Catalina in our futures. Was rather hoping that'd be one of the collector's, but I think it's too niche for the devs to put it in that position - especially considering it's a new theater. Hoping though, the Catalina is so beautiful, and a quintessential pacific plane.

• Upvote 2

What makes a collector plane in this game? Is it the uber planes that win all of the battles? Or is it the planes less flown with few numbers, weather or not it was an uber plane? Get another plane thats not a G4M then like a D4Y. Now the US needs the TBF to keep up. See how that gets unbalanced so quick? I guess we can just do the TBF and D4Y as collectors and scrap the buffalo.  I'll leave it with that.

EDIT: Another little tidbit, I can entirely see them omitting the Catalina in favor of the OS2U Kingfisher in order to more evenly match with the F1M2 for its duties.

What makes TBF-1 so unbalanced ? Is Hs-129 an uber plane ? I dont think it's about uber or not uber plane but one that was present and active during the events and also makes sense from financial perspective (after all its a collector plane, it should make money). Whether its mentioned D4Y, TBF-1 or F2A3 Buffalo, they all were present and active during the events and from financial perspective they are interesting machines for potential customer. 

What would make A5M as attractive as any of the above ? It's an aircraft of different era, with lower performance and characteristics, lacking firepower, having lower range than a Zero and also lacking any bombing capabilities. For its intented role it would be lacking and thus I cannot see any reason why it would be a popular object to buy. Sure, there would be quite a few enthusiasts like me who would buy it no matter what but would that justify an effort to bring it ?

I'd gladly see A5M4 along with Ki-27, G3M and bunch of other machines of previous generation but not sure it fits this scenario.

In regard to OS2U ... that would make sense and it is an interesting machine as well, but I personally find Catalina far more attractive and entertaining. Does not have to be an even match.

I agree that it will probably be the kingfisher but I'm still holding out some hope for the cat. The Cat has multi role capability so I think it would be the better choice, not sure if the kingfisher could carry bombs.

As for the other choices of collector planes I wouldn't mind seeing the TBF-1 added but would prefer the B-26.

What are the option for the Japanese? I know very little about Japanese aircraft so I'm not sure what possibilities we have.

Edited by Legioneod

Collector planes:

Buffalo and Judy, and call it done.

In the Pacific it will be hard to have perfectly matched plane sets until the IJAAF comes into the picture, as the IJN in the early years only had the Zeke as their primary fighter.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

but I'd weep silently into the pacific if there isn't a Catalina in our futures. 

Agree completely. :salute:

• Upvote 1

be a real shame if the TBF-1 Avenger wasn't somehow included ...and omg a catalina IS the collector plane. take money now

also avenger was George W Bush plane. 

First Combat - Midway

Only six TBF's actually entered front-line, combat service in time for the critical Battle of Midway on June 4, 1942. These planes, attached to VT-8, flew up to Midway Island itself three days before. Commanded by Lieutenant Langdon K. Fieberling, none of the TBF pilots had ever been in combat, and only a few had ever flown out of sight of land before. (Most of this squadron, the famed Torpedo Squadron Eight, flew the outmoded Douglas Devastators from the carrier Hornet.) But both new and old were nearly wiped out.

Lieutenant Fieberling's six TBFs reached the Japanese fleet at 7:10 AM, dropped to low altitude and bore on toward the carriers. Zeros swarmed around the vulnerable torpedo planes. Two TBFs were destroyed in the first attack, followed by three more. Realizing that he could not reach the carriers, Ensign Albert K. Earnest loosed his torpedo at a cruiser, then broke away with two Zeros after him. Earnest flew his shot-up TBF back to Midway, navigating "by guess and by God." Earnest's was the only TBF to return, with nothing but the trim tab for longitudinal control, with one wheel and the torpedo bay doors hanging open. Radioman 3rd Class Harrier H. Ferrier was injured and Seaman 1st Class Jay D. Manning, who was operating the .50 caliber machine gun turret, was killed during the attack.

Edited by katdog5

be a real shame if the TBF-1 Avenger wasn't somehow included ...and omg a catalina IS the collector plane. take money now

also avenger was George W Bush plane. 

First Combat - Midway

Only six TBF's actually entered front-line, combat service in time for the critical Battle of Midway on June 4, 1942. These planes, attached to VT-8, flew up to Midway Island itself three days before. Commanded by Lieutenant Langdon K. Fieberling, none of the TBF pilots had ever been in combat, and only a few had ever flown out of sight of land before. (Most of this squadron, the famed Torpedo Squadron Eight, flew the outmoded Douglas Devastators from the carrier Hornet.) But both new and old were nearly wiped out.

Lieutenant Fieberling's six TBFs reached the Japanese fleet at 7:10 AM, dropped to low altitude and bore on toward the carriers. Zeros swarmed around the vulnerable torpedo planes. Two TBFs were destroyed in the first attack, followed by three more. Realizing that he could not reach the carriers, Ensign Albert K. Earnest loosed his torpedo at a cruiser, then broke away with two Zeros after him. Earnest flew his shot-up TBF back to Midway, navigating "by guess and by God." Earnest's was the only TBF to return, with nothing but the trim tab for longitudinal control, with one wheel and the torpedo bay doors hanging open. Radioman 3rd Class Harrier H. Ferrier was injured and Seaman 1st Class Jay D. Manning, who was operating the .50 caliber machine gun turret, was killed during the attack.

Let's just be clear; the TBF was flown by George H W Bush, not the Dubbaya and he was not assigned to flight status until 1943. I actually like HW but want to make sure we remain factual.....

It would be easy to misinterpret your statement out of context.

Collector plane:

J7W Shiden-make it carrier airborne pls

F4U Corsair

Done.

Yikes

I agree that it will probably be the kingfisher but I'm still holding out some hope for the cat. The Cat has multi role capability so I think it would be the better choice, not sure if the kingfisher could carry bombs.

As for the other choices of collector planes I wouldn't mind seeing the TBF-1 added but would prefer the B-26.

What are the option for the Japanese? I know very little about Japanese aircraft so I'm not sure what possibilities we have.

Yes, please. The Cat perfectly fits the scenario.....

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

Seeing as there is a discussion about Okinawa I decided to make one about Midway, mostly about the aircraft and which ones we are likely to see.

I'm very excited about Midway and I can't wait to take off from some carriers in search of the enemy fleet. Most of all I can't wait to fly the TBD Devastator.

Anyone have any idea about the planeset we are likely to see?

Non of this is confirmed but based of what I saw in the Pacific Theater Forum I think the Japanese Plane set is pretty much worked out.

Japanese:

Fighter: A6M Model 21 "Zeke"

Dive Bomber: D3A1 "Val"

Torpedo Bomber: B5N2 "Kate"

Float/Recon: F1M2 "Pete"

Collector Aircraft: ???

American

Fighter: F4F-4 Wildcat

Dive Bomber: SBD-3 Dauntless

Torpedo Bomber: TBD-1 Devastator

Float/Recon: PBY Catalina (hopefully) 

Collector: ??? (Options: TBF-1 Avenger,  B-26 Marauder,  SB2U-3 Vindicator, F2A Buffalo) Personally I hope it's the B-26 or the F2A Buffalo.

What are yall excited for, and what do you think the plane set could be?

Those 8 you picked are perfect IMO.  I think the collector planes are more difficult to figure out.  Based on the fact that the previous collector planes were not necessarily used during the BoS/BoM/BoK battles or they were in small numbers perhaps something a little different for Midway.  P-38F for the US? Have no clue about the Japanese though.

Given the Midway orders of battle on both sides, the 'core' planeset on each side is effectively set in stone -

Wildcat, SBD and TBD, and A6M2, D3A and B5N.

I also like the idea of having a recon floatplane for each side and if we're likely to get an F1M2 then I would support the inclusion of a Vought Kingfisher or Curtiss Seagull, as something that is roughly comparable and can be used for a similar role.

Especially if there is work being done to the mechanics of operating floatplanes, having them in the core set will support continued development in this direction and will also (hopefully) contribute to a greater push towards turning floatplanes into a useable asset.

There are a lot of ways that these can diversify the missions available and if scenarios are designed with this in mind it would be really good for appealing to a broader audience than just combat pilots.

Recon, ASW patrols, SAR can all add a lot and even if there are only a few people taking them up then we already have a lot more variety than many combat flight sims from the past have offered.

Then, as premiums we could have a G4M and the longed-for Catalina. The G4M adds a lot, long-range level and torpedo bomber and is an iconic IJN aircraft of this theatre.

And the Catalina speaks for itself, it's a premium that a lot of people would gladly throw money at if this thread alone is anything to go by, and adds broadly similar capabilities as the G4M does, in its own way.

But is more balanced than a PBY vs F1M lineup, or indeed than a PBY vs H8K.

I would hesitate to recommend an F2A/Buffalo vs A5M lineup as it is unlikely how much use they would see anyway, and I can't imagine them selling well as premiums if people are being asked to pay for less capable aircraft which don't add anything except a certain quirk factor, especially when there are already fighters available anyway.

The Kuban map will make a decent stand-in for certain scenarios. Thus a Betty could be put to good use. This way I don't have to use the He-111 as a fake Betty for say a Darwin campaign.

So relevant to Midway no - to PTO in general hugely.

F1M Pete is imho horrible choice and is there only because Battle of Midway is also horrible choice. Before you start yelling at me, think about it for a moment. If someone tells you about new simulator from Pacific in 1942, is really Pete your choice for planeset? I bet that answer is no, not before Zero, Oscar, Val, Betty, Kate, Sally, Rufe, Lilly, Nell, Nate ... 

D4Ys in Battle of Midway were preproduction UNARMED airplanes, ARMED Judys didn't reach combat units in any significant numbers until 1943, I think you all know that. If you are talking about armed Judys in Battle of Midway, you are bending history to get at least some Japanese combat airplane.

There are a lot of ways that these can diversify the missions available and if scenarios are designed with this in mind it would be really good for appealing to a broader audience than just combat pilots. Recon, ASW patrols, SAR can all add a lot and even if there are only a few people taking them up then we already have a lot more variety than many combat flight sims from the past have offered.

I disagree. You can do recon or ASW patrols with combat types like Val or Dauntless, just as it was routinely done in real life. Only type of mission you cannot do is SAR. Here is a question - do we really need airplanes like Pete or Kingfisher just because they can execute ASR? I don't think so.

Yes, Betty and Catalina are heavily favored by this subscriber.

Well I see no reason what so ever we should not have the catalina. They have seaplanes in ROF , Betty bomber is also a no brainer it should be there in same degree as the Dauntless should be there. Betty should not even be a collector plane.

To me Midway will have to contain the Catalina and the Devastator to make me lift my eyebrows 

Betty was not a Midway aircraft - so can't be compared to the Dauntless in that regard.

all here are talking about the PBY.....why no japanese Flyingboat too, like the H6K or even the H8K.

i would be OK when the Japanese get 3 Planes (A6M, D3A, B5N) and the US 5 Planes (F4F, SBD, TBD, TBF) as Default Setting. It has not to be 4-4 IMHO.

btw, wasnt there 2 Versions of the Wildcat in Battle ?!

F4F-4 USN from carriers

F4F-3 USMC from Midway  ?

I belive These two are different enough in Performance (-3 lighter IIRC) and armament......bringt hem both ;)

AND ! i would miss the Buffalo - even when the F3A-3 used by the USMC was a Duck :D

Edited by III/JG53Frankyboy

I'm all about the Emily - but that will never pencil out for this team...just too many recourses tied up for too long.

Betty bomber is also a no brainer it should be there in same degree as the Dauntless should be there. Betty should not even be a collector plane.

You cannot use Betty on Battle of Midway map (one US base on atol and ocean around), therefore we cannot have Betty unless we get another map. Remember, you need to use all airplanes in singleplayer campaign.

all here are talking about the PBY.....why no japanese Flyingboat too, like the H6K or even the H8K.

H6K and H8K are big four engine airplanes and because developers said that B-17 is out of question, so are those two unfortunately.

we cannot have Betty unless we get another map. Remember, you need to use all airplanes in singleplayer campaign.

Like I said above, Kuban makes a fine stand-in for a few particular areas where Betty's saw plenty of action.

• Upvote 1

Kuban is not in Pacific as far as i know.

You don't say?  :rolleyes:

stand-in
ˈstand ˌin/
noun

1. a person who stands in for another, especially in a performance; a substitute.
    "his stand-in does all the dancing sequences"
    synonyms: substitutereplacementdeputysurrogateproxyunderstudylocumsupplyfill-incoverreliefstopgapMore
Edited by Gambit21

I get your point, don't worry. Your idea for singleplayer campaign (career) for Betty in Battle of Midway is flying over map of Kuban and pretend that everything is ok. Sure, why not. We are waiting for proper single player experience in BoX for so long, that we can wait in case of Betty for another year, no problem.

I get your point, don't worry. Your idea for singleplayer campaign (career) for Betty in Battle of Midway is flying over map of Kuban and pretend that everything is ok. Sure, why not. We are waiting for proper single player experience in BoX for so long, that we can wait in case of Betty for another year, no problem.

Not so much.

I have no designs for a "Betty in Battle of Midway career"

I won't even get into the "pretending everything is OK" part of your post...life is too short.

Edited by Gambit21

i would be OK when the Japanese get 3 Planes (A6M, D3A, B5N) and the US 5 Planes (F4F, SBD, TBD, TBF) as Default Setting. It has not to be 4-4 IMHO.

I could not be less happy with this if it were to happen. Both sides need to be fully fleshed-out and equipped with enough to provide variety for both sides and to balance the engagements.

To do anything less would be so detrimental to the experience that it may risk killing the whole thing.

I belive These two are different enough in Performance (-3 lighter IIRC) and armament......bringt hem both ;)

AND ! i would miss the Buffalo - even when the F3A-3 used by the USMC was a Duck :D

This is also something we don't need. Two very similar aircraft, both with identical roles, plus the chance of a third one.

We don't need three fighters per side, what we need is a broader range of roles to provide a more varied experience, a deeper simulation and to maintain interest.

Carrier ops almost require fighters, dive bombers and torpedo bombers, as well as recon in whatever form this takes. The Pacific also could benefit from long-range maritime patrol a/c, either floatplanes or land-based.

We need more variety, not less.

@ Gambit - it will be nice to have Betty in BoX, that's all what are you saying than? I agree 100%.of course. Not gonna happen unless we get another Pacific map I'm afraid.

F1M Pete is imho horrible choice and is there only because Battle of Midway is also horrible choice. Before you start yelling at me, think about it for a moment. If someone tells you about new simulator from Pacific in 1942, is really Pete your choice for planeset? I bet that answer is no, not before Zero, Oscar, Val, Betty, Kate, Sally, Rufe, Lilly, Nell, Nate ...

The choice of aircraft depends on the scenario. I'm far more interested in Midway than Kuban but there are other Pacific scenarios I'd rather see above Midway, for sure.

Midway runs the risk of being limited in scope and is far too short for an engaging singleplayer campaign, and could become too repetitive for multiplayer.

But, with that said, I'd vastly prefer the coherent approach we have had with the series so far, where we get an aircraft set, map(s) and correct assets to fit the theme, than a jumbled mess of everyone's favourite WWII PTO aircraft on a generic map with no extra background items.

...DCS WWII much?

A release set in Midway needs to have Wildcats, Zeros, Kates, Vals, SBD and TBDs to work. And arguably, although it's not the most obvious first choice for anyone, if the F1M was there along with the Kingfisher or Seagull then they should go. I wouldn't want to see them replaced with something that has no business being in there just because it's a fancy plane that people recognise.

Ki-61? B-25? Both awesome aircraft but neither of them fit and I don't want them in there if they aren't part of the scenario.

With a bit of extra effort via new maps, Midway could essentially be a snapshot of mid-war Pacific carrier operations in a broader sense, and then extra a/c can be added via premiums. And hopefully then we can start to see Battle of New Guinea, China/Burma/India etc, and hopefully the devs rethink Okinawa. Or st least don't rush straight to it and then leave us with just these two unmatchable Pacific releases.

I disagree. You can do recon or ASW patrols with combat types like Val or Dauntless, just as it was routinely done in real life. Only type of mission you cannot do is SAR. Here is a question - do we really need airplanes like Pete or Kingfisher just because they can execute ASR? I don't think so.

Depends what people can use them for, and what creative things mission and scenario designers can come up with.

The Ju-52 doesn't get anywhere near enough use in BoS/M/K but it deserves a place and I'm glad it's included.

It's all about providing people with the tools to work with and letting them do what they will. I'll fly recon floatplanes for sure, even out of curiosity. If there's a recon mechanism that works, or a SAR mechanism then I will even more so.

I have no interest in flying fighters but I have consistently been calling for more non-fighters, more non-combat a/c and a greater variety of roles.

It may increase the appeal to other sim pilots who aren't into combat flight sims, it will provide much greater depth of immersion as you will feel like you are in an active and populated area of operations, and it will create a much more dynamic environment where everything can be represented in greater detail.

"Do we really need airplanes like [this]?"

'Need' is subjective so your mileage will vary. But I think what we need is more things going on and more choice, rather than less. If not specifically these aircraft then certainly something else they can fulfill a similar role.

Just not more of the same.

We definitely don't need any constraints on our thinking.

• Upvote 3

@ Gambit - it will be nice to have Betty in BoX, that's all what are you saying than? I agree 100%.of course. Not gonna happen unless we get another Pacific map I'm afraid.

Yes my only point was that it wouldn't be pointless to include it as a bonus aircraft, and we could make good use of it.

I also said before that at worst, I'd use the Okinawa map as a 'stand in' Solomons, and the Betty would be useful there as well even though again, it

wasn't a factor in the Okinawa battle. Many times over the years we've just had to make due with what we have and suspend disbelief a bit.

Kuban actually makes a decent PTO map if one lightens up a bit on dead nuts historical accuracy. I've done hours of testing and watching a flight over the water with the land mass in the background...it

doesn't take much imagination and we could be a variety of different places. 

post-23599-0-19919100-1505946184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gambit21

The thing with Midway is that its a naval battle. Midway itself did provide for some ground based aircraft (B-17, B-26, etc.) but the vast majority is a fleet on fleet full on naval battle. This sounds fantastic! But it does limit things a bit in terms of what they can and should offer and what they won't. Stuff that operates from carrier decks is the key.

Would folks be disappointed if we only got 8 planes with this release? We can make 8 fit. Trying to fit 10 is harder though not impossible. The F2M Buffalo is a pretty easy choice for me on the one side as they featured in the battle in a pretty big encounter. I'd fly it too despite the reputation. Also the concept of scout planes is interesting to me and I'd be interested in seeing that work - especially if they fit into the larger meta of a Air Marshal directed multiplayer match. That sounds epic and beyond the scope of just a single plane.

We've had this discussion a lot in the Okinawa thread and I can see Midway offering up a few options for early Pacific battles. Midway would be the focus but if they do it right we could probably do the early carrier battles, Coral Sea, Wake Island, and maybe even the early part of the Guadalcanal campaign (when it was mostly a naval battle). I'm sure there will be limits to everything due to limits of resources but I'm going to be optimistic that they have a plan and that it's a good one either way.

Also, I think the idea of a PBY is wonderful. Sounds like a great idea. But I would caution a little bit about that because its similar in scope to the A-20 or He111 or Ju88. Its got multiple stations and that makes it time consuming for the team.

There willl be work arounds and variety in the Midway release. The Devs are not stupid. Quite the contrary, they are artisans and have a very good feel for what MOST want in a flight sim within their budgetary constraints. AC will be appropriate and the Premiums will be timespan appropriate if not specifically appropriate. I'm amazed how little faith some of you have in this DEV team after all they have delivered on, particularly under Jason's leadership.

• Upvote 3

There willl be work arounds and variety in the Midway release. The Devs are not stupid. Quite the contrary, they are artisans and have a very good feel for what MOST want in a flight sim within their budgetary constraints. AC will be appropriate and the Premiums will be timespan appropriate if not specifically appropriate. I'm amazed how little faith some of you have in this DEV team after all they have delivered on, particularly under Jason's leadership.

I agree they should be able to make a clear and precise decision on their product. Nobody is discrediting that. However discussion is important and thats what helps the Devs gauge how well some A/Cs would be received compared to others. I'm sure they will have no problem choosing a good A/C set. Community speculation is however based on their previous accomplishments and previous A/C choice behavior.

Based on previous statements, bombers take several more hours to complete and the most engines we have on a single aircraft is 3 engines. Adding a 4 engine plane is not completely out of the question but would take many more hours than anything done before. For that reason its narrowed down our heavy A/C expectations to twin engine crafts. So H6K does not seem likely. 

Crew positions are another factor to take into account. Based on the A-20 development for kuban we have been told that the many gunner positions require much more 3D modeling of their respective cockpits to complete the craft. For our Midway theater they have much more modeling to do in that regard depending on aircraft choice. Multi-crew aircraft that are almost guaranteed to make the cut based on current information include: D3A1,B5N2, F1M2, TBD-1, SBD-3, and the float plane of choice for the americans. Thats much more crew served planes than what they have done in the past for a single planeset. I'm not saying the Devs cant do more than just those multi role aircraft but it definitely adds more workload as more are added. For that reason I'd say its safe to say heavy stuff might be set aside for the main planeset for time constraint reasons.

Since we have little information on any additional maps other than Midway island that could also limit available planes. Even if they did add maps with land on them the Midway battle is nowhere near close to japanese territory to warrant the addition of Japanese land based aircrafts. The best you could do for the G4M is have it spawn "in air" and "off map" which this sim does not have a habit of doing. Your best bet is to stick to carrier based or float plane crafts. It may be different for the Americans but still, even with American territory airfields that might not be a constant factor in the game modes which limits the possibility to play those crafts in certain scenarios. What will be a guaranteed constant is the carriers.

I'm not saying the Devs wont or shouldnt go out of their current reach or accomplishments to try and do even more than they have ever done before. That is entirely up to them and if they feel they can do it then by golly more power too them and I definitely look forward to it. But one should not expect more than that.

Edited by Field-Ops

unfortunatly a H6K4 would need the Cockpit and 5 gunnery stations - true, most propably too much work for the Team.

Anyway, it would be fun to have fights H6K vs PBY online ;)

A PBY would be Cockpit and 3 gunnery stations btw........

what ever we say here- i bet

A6M2-21, D3A2, B5N2 , F4F-4, SBD-3, TBD-1 are sure among the selected "Default" planes of Battle of Midway by the Team :)

the rest, we will see....................

let it be these 6 Defaults this time....and put the spared work in the two flyingboats :D . But i guess, making the ships is already enough work to do

an Avenger can still come with Okinawa.

Edited by III/JG53Frankyboy
  • Upvote 1

It will be D3A1,model 22 did not arrive until end of 1942.

In regard to F4F-3, this can be easily solved as a modification. Removal of two guns and few minor changes won't be any major problem to develop in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

In regard to F4F-3, this can be easily solved as a modification. Removal of two guns and few minor changes won't be any major problem to develop in my opinion.

I thought the same thing