6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

Just for Fun/Reference List of Features that could be added to existing Aircraft

I-16

• ​Type 29 Modification --> Removal of Wing Guns; replaced by one UBS in the Cowling under the Engine; Ability to carry: Gun Pods; Rockets; Bombs; Drop Tanks. (One Page mentions changes to the Wing with full Metal Plating on the Underside, not sure if this wasn't on the 24 as well)

MiG-3

• AM-38 Engine --> Apparently some MiGs were field equipped with Il-2 Engines.

LaGG-3

• Removable Canopy

Yak-1

• Removable MGs for "Ace Version"

P-40

• Klimov 105 Engine as Replacement for Allison. 
  • Droptanks
  • Engine Uprating to allow 56"@3000 for 5 Minutes 

Il-2s

• Defensive Grenades on Parachutes

Bf109E-7

• DB601Aa Engine for Low Altitude Work. Less capable above 4.5k than A-1.
  • Drop Tanks

Bf109F-2 and F-4

• Drop Tanks
  • 1.3ata@2500rpm Restriction for Pre-1942, as historically accurate

Bf109G-2

• Drop Tanks
  • 1.42ata allowance

Bf109G-4

• Drop Tanks

Fw190A

• Drop Tanks
  • Wf Gr. 21
  • Droppable EB50 Bomb Racks

Bf110E

• DB601Ba Engine
  • DB601P Engine
  • Droppable 50kg Bomb Racks

Bf110G

• SD-2 Containers
  • MG131 defensive
  • 2x 3cm Mk.108 cannons instead MG151/20 (turns aircraft into Bf-110 G-4)

Ju-87

• SD-2 Containers
  • Removable Wheel Skirts
  • Removable Airbrakes
  • Automated Dive Recovery
  • New: WB 151 Gun Pods

Ju-88

• SD-2 Containers
  • MG131 defensive Guns
  • Removable Dive Brakes
  • Forward Firing MG Pilot Operable/Removable
  • Forward Firing Belly Gun
  • Stuvi

He-111H-16

• Train Guns on the Belly. 
  • Generally More Gun Options, like MG131 Front Gun, MG81Z up top
  • Turret

Ju-52

• Side Guns
  • Cockpit Turret
  • Wheel Spats
  • MG131 defensive
  • Fire Extinguisher

HS.129

• BK3.7 Gun Pod
  • AB250 Bomb Container for SD-2
  • Fire Extinguisher

What do you feel would be appropiate to add, what did I forget?

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus-Mann
  • Upvote 9

Ju 87, Ju 88, He 111, Bf 110

- Supply containers for transport missions (food, ammunition, spare parts)

http://www.luftarchiv.de/index.htm?/bordgerate/behalter.htm

Ju 52 3/m G4e

Everything from that list: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/24642-unlocks-ju-523m-g4e/

Bf 110 G-2

- 2x 3cm Mk.108 cannons instead MG151/20 (turns aircraft into Bf-110 G-4)

Ju 87 D-3

- longer wings (turns aircraft into Ju 87 D-5)

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 2

Ju 87 D-3

- longer wings (turns aircraft into Ju 87 D-5)

Well, I think that would better just be a seperate Aircraft. 

Yak-1:

• M-105 P/PA engine for 1941.
  • Earlier style canopy with extra rear vision panel (only available if early engine selected).

yak-1-gor1p125-3.jpg

LaGG-3

• Extra armament options: 3 x UB heavy machine guns + 2 x ShKAS in the nose, or 1 x ShVAK + 1 x UB heavy machine gun + 2x ShKAS in the nose, only available if early engine is selected.

MiG-3

• Early style engine cowling (some armament configurations might not be compatible with this as this was from an early version, at least the 2 x ShVAKs, but don't know about the 2 x UBS).
  • No wing slats (ditto as above).

Pe-2 (don't know which modification would apply for either the s.35 or the s.87 or both).

• Pe-3: Frontal armament  2 x UB heavy machine guns in the nose. Loses bombsight, some navigation equipment, air brakes, part of the glass nose covered by metal panels. Decreased bombload.
  • Pe-3bis: Frontal armament  1 x ShVAK in the nose + 2 x UB heavy machine guns in underfuselage gunpod. Ditto as above about other changes.

Bf 109 F-4

• Engine limited to 1.3 ata for 1941.
Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 1

Yak-1:

• Earlier style canopy with extra rear vision panel (only available if early engine selected).

yak-1-gor1p125-3.jpg

LaGG-3

• Extra armament options: 3 x UB heavy machine guns + 2 x ShKAS in the nose, or 1 x ShVAK + 1 x UB heavy machine gun + 2x ShKAS in the nose, only available if early engine is selected.

MiG-3

• Early style engine cowling (some armament configurations might not be compatible with this as this was from an early version, at least the 2 x ShVAKs, but don't know about the 2 x UBS).
  • No wing slats (ditto as above).

Pe-2 (don't know which modification would apply for either the s.35 or the s.87 or both).

• Pe-3: Frontal armament  2 x UB heavy machine guns in the nose. Loses bombsight, some navigation equipment, air brakes, part of the glass nose covered by metal panels. Decreased bombload.
  • Pe-3bis: Frontal armament  1 x ShVAK in the nose + 2 x UB heavy machine guns in underfuselage gunpod. Ditto as above about other changes.

Bf 109 F-4

• Engine limited to 1.3 ata for 1941.

All of these would be seperate Aircraft. 

I can give you the Pe-3s as different aircraft. But for the other ones I don't see why they would need to be separate aircraft. If the 1.42 ata for the G-2 (1941 109 F-4 is that just the other way around) and early La-5F are just modifications of the very same aircraft, and we already have for example the IL-2 mod 1942 which introduces a change in the fuselage 3D model with the field modification gunner position.

I can give you the Pe-3s as different aircraft. But for the other ones I don't see why they would need to be separate aircraft. If the 1.42 ata for the G-2 (1941 109 F-4 is that just the other way around) and early La-5F are just modifications of the very same aircraft, and we already have for example the IL-2 mod 1942 which introduces a change in the fuselage 3D model with the field modification gunner position.

The Early Yak-1 was not only different in Engine, but Cockpit Instruments as well etc, too many little Differences. 

The LaGG-3 seria 1-3 are also quite different with retractable Landing Gear, different Rudder, Ailerons etc. and a different Cockpit and Stick.

I would much rather have an early and a late MiG. Putting it all into one is just too much crammed into it. One with the High Performance and no Slats, the other with the Slats but lower Performance. 

Bf109F-4 seems reasonable. 

Pe-3 should be seperate, once again too many Detail Changes to make it work really. 

Yak-1: M-105 P/PA engine for 1941. Earlier style canopy with extra rear vision panel (only available if early engine selected).

This would have to be a new Aircraft.

The models powered by 105P mostly had retractable Tail Wheel and no Antennas at all

The 105PA had fixed tailwheel and Antennas

Both have the Full Glass Cockpit

Both have the Half Moon Type Supercharger intakes and rounded Radiator. 

As far as I know the Yaw Trim was actually still Adjustable in the Air while later Models only had fixed, Ground Adjustable Tabs, 

The Story is the same for LaGG and MiG which is why I would much prefer you just have a seperate representative 1941, 1942 and 1943 model. 

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-1/yak-1.html&prev=search

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lagg3/lagg3drawings/lagg3drawings.html

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/lagg3/cockpits/cockpitlagg3.html

yak1_1.jpg

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

I think the early ones could be done if they don't mean that much of a different FM effort wise, the 3D model changes are minor (compare to the gunner in the IL-2, the gunpods in the Ju 87 and Bf 110 G-2). Having these planes done this way we could save some space in case of an early Eastern Front expansion (long future) comes for other early Soviet fighters like the I-153 and the Hurri.  Or do you think the 1941 Yak/LaGG are good candidates for collector planes? I feel like they wouldn't sell much.

I think the early ones could be done if they don't mean that much of a different FM effort wise, the 3D model changes are minor (compare to the gunner in the IL-2, the gunpods in the Ju 87 and Bf 110 G-2). Having these planes done this way we could save some space in case of an early Eastern Front expansion (long future) comes for other early Soviet fighters like the I-153 and the Hurri.  Or do you think the 1941 Yak/LaGG are good candidates for collector planes? I feel like they wouldn't sell much.

It's a bit like making the Bf109F-2, F-4, G-2 and G-4 the same Aircraft just with a DB605 and DB601 Mod. 

Edited by 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

It's a bit like making the Bf109F-2, F-4, G-2 and G-4 the same Aircraft just with a DB605 and DB601 Mod. 

Yes it's similar indeed, specially in between the variants of a "letter", now that you put it that way I see them kinda needing their own treatment as new planes from the start. Even though it would take more time/effort I'm almost sure the end result would be a more accurately represented plane.

You know, this is a 7.92mm machinegun?

With '88' I'm pretty sure he meant Ju 88.

I didn't even know there was a reargun fit into the 88.

But what about the two MG17 fixed rearguns, that were fitted in some Bf110 E and F?

Edited by Yogiflight

I didn't even know there was a reargun fit into the 88.

There wasn't. This is on a He 111. Sshadow14 was talking about this in relation to the lockable forward firing MG on the Ju 88. 

Ahhhh, I see where the misunderstanding is, Finkeren. I was refering to Sshadow's post #15, where he asked for a pilot controlled 30mm reargun in the He111 H16.

Did not the I-16 (not sure which series) and La-5 have drop tanks as well?

Was the early series of il-2 able to take more RS-82 rockets than 8?

Would love to see some ski's on the i-16 as an option.

What about dive recovery system for Ju87 and 88?

The two machineguns of the Ju88's B-Stand firing at the same time, two AI or the player plus one AI or in MP two players.

Adjustable compass in the german aircrafts.

And of course torpedo drops for the Heinkel.

• Upvote 1

What do you feel would be appropiate to add, what did I forget?

yes (as in: i take all of that please :biggrin:  )

LaGG-3:  Wing slats and retractable tail wheel, essentially making it something like a series 35. I'm pretty sure (but I might be wrong) that there were no major structural differences between the s. 29 and the s.35.

LaGG-3:  Wing slats and retractable tail wheel, essentially making it something like a series 35. I'm pretty sure (but I might be wrong) that there were no major structural differences between the s. 29 and the s.35.

Well, you could just have a seria 66 which was the last and best. And a seria 1-3 with 5 Guns. I don't like cramming 4 Years of Airplane Development into one, For most Russian Aircraft you can basically make a 1941, 1942 and 1943 Version which all are quite different in a number of Ways. 

I generally agree with that sentiment, but for the LaGG-3 s. 29 and 35 I think it might make some sense, since as far as I can tell, the slats and retractable tail wheel are literally the only differences between the two.

I generally agree with that sentiment, but for the LaGG-3 s. 29 and 35 I think it might make some sense, since as far as I can tell, the slats and retractable tail wheel are literally the only differences between the two.

As far as I know the Tailwheel was fixed until the 66 seria. The 1-3 seria still had it, after that it was dropped until the 66 was basically an La-5 with Klimov. but otherwise the same.

All models inbetween had it fixed.  

As far as I know the Tailwheel was fixed until the 66 seria. The 1-3 seria still had it, after that it was dropped until the 66 was basically an La-5 with Klimov. but otherwise the same.

All models inbetween had it fixed.

I build 2 Series 35 LaGG models as a kid (I was madly in love with the Lavochkin designs at one point) and I am 100% positive that both of them had retractable tail wheel.

Also the LaGG-3 s.66 was not really an La-5 with Klimov engine at all. The design of the La-5 and the LaGG-3 had essentially parted ways a year before the Series 66 saw the light of day. The Series 66 was a quite refined design with a structure that had been lightened considerably to the point where it was lighter under combat load than contemporary Yak-9D.

It would be more correct to call the Series 35 an (early) La-5 with a Klimov.

It would be more correct to call the Series 35 an (early) La-5 with a Klimov.

Just where does the Speed Increase come from? From around 500 in the 29, to 530 in the 42 and 545 in the 66? A Tailwheel makes 12-25kph, depending on Aircraft, so where does the Rest come from? 

From what I have read, the tailwheel would have to account for the speed increase of the S. 35 (don't know about s. 42, but I assume they are not too different) in the s. 66 it's the significantly lightened airframe as well as some further aerodynamic refinements. The s.66 was not only faster, it was also a much better climber hitting an average 15m/s about the same as the Yak-1.

Ju-88

• SD-2 Containers
  • MG131 defensive Guns
  • Removable Dive Brakes
  • Forward Firing MG Pilot Operable
  • Forward Firing Belly Gun
  • Stuvi

For the Ju-88 the nicest and most useful modification would be a C-6 build. Yes it's actually a different aircraft, but it's build on a default A-4. Solid nose with 4 guns (3 mg's and 1 20 mm gun) and removal of bombsight. 

ju88c2.jpg

Ju 88:

• Remove frontal MG

Bf 110, He 111, Ju 88:

• Kurssteuerung
Edited by JG4_dingsda