Sign in to follow this  
Marvel

Mjoy16 USB-circuit board

Hello everybody, I would like to try to build my own sim flight controls, and I wish to try to use the Mjoy16 USB-circuit board, but where could I buy it? Someone know if is possible to buy it on the web?

Many thanks for your help. Ciao!

Marco

Mjoy8 and 16 (2004 project) is now "obsolete" (use ATMEGA8/16) and require buy assembled version (anyway try with GVL224, he still making) or assembly one (I assembly ~6 in the past).

Technically was surpassed be MMjoy2, that use cheap ready to use Arduino (ATMEGA32u4) boards, Teensy... plenty available today, only require you load the firmware trough USB cable (easy to do like record a file in DVD).

MMJoy2 firmware is configurable, you can set up to 8 axis, up to 128 buttons, use up to 6 encoders, use contactless sensor TLE501x in digital mode, allow set curves on axis, and mode in first 32 buttons.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3899105/1

Edited by Sokol1

Thanks Sokol1 for reply. But is it possible to buy MMjoy2 already assembled for joystick, throttles and buttons?

Ciao!

Marco

Hi Sokol1, many thanks. Looking at Leobodnar card I discovered this card also:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

I think is a "ready-to-use" usb card....maybe just what I was looking for... :).

I hope his pc interface show also the square box for the joystick movements. I will try to ask more informations about this card.

Ciao!

Marco

BU0836X make the buttons connections more easy due individual connections for buttons in the card - don't require diode matrix... but cost ~twice more.  :)

This USB Controllers (BU0836, DSD 12, MMjoy2, EasyJoy32...) for DIY is show in Windows Game Controllers like a conventional joystick - and don't require 3rd part drivers for install, use Windows native HID drivers, so is "PnP".

Example - MMjoy ("father" of MMjoy2 - Mjoy8/16 is "grandpa"):  :)

full-17997-92757-mmjoy2_01.jpg

Or BU0836A.

Edited by Sokol1

Many thanks for all Sokol1!!! :)

Ciao!

Marco

Hello guys, after Leobodnar BU0836X card has been arrived, I built my own engine control quadrant, with power, propeller and mixture levers. I used three pot cermet Vishay series P11S, geared with plastic gear to reduce his range.

20170110_150436_zpsa2j7t4yp.jpg

20170207_174909_zpslr8y0zes.jpg

20170927_180254_zpsochnnjin.jpg

20171003_180136_zpsaulxsb0n.jpg

20171003_180205_zpsmqyvvfun.jpg

Now I wish to build a pitch trim with a rotary encoder, but I don't know which buy. Someone could suggest me a good rotary encoder to use for the pitch trim, please?

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Ciao!

Marco

Markino,

Impressive metal work - that looks very nice, congratulations.  :good:

D.I.Y. is not fun and rewarding? :)

Edited by Sokol1

Hi guys, thanks for your appreciations....

D.I.Y. is not fun and rewarding?

Yes Sokol, absolutely yes!! Funny & rewarding!!!

For the images I think photobucket is for a fee now.... In other forum where I posted, I had the same problems...pity...

Lucas, Imgur is really free or, as photobucket, then it begin for a fee? I am looking for an image hosting service totally free...

Next I will re-post the images of my engine controls.

What can you tell me about rotary encoder for pitch trim? Do you can suggest me a kind of rotary encoder?

Many thanks! Ciao!

Marco

Hi guys, I have an account on Imgur now so I can post the throttles pictures again:

Ow6EzuI.jpg

xyc0KsX.jpg

A2FMSDA.jpg

KF1zmJ3.jpg

Ciao!

Marco

• Upvote 4

I made in my spare time at work, but it taked about one year. I designed it on solidworks then I built it. :)

I have designed the joystick also and in this period I work on the seat. Next I wish to built the rudder pedals, for the moment I work on a preliminary study for them.

0yVWSkM.jpg

kVBuf7X.jpg

8fVc2c6.jpg

StKbmYe.jpg

q9SfjeZ.jpg

5yQVQZ0.jpg

Ciao!

Marco

What can you tell me about rotary encoder for pitch trim? Do you can suggest me a kind of rotary encoder?

Encoder is good for have rotary trim for planes that don't allow set trim on axis, as encoder press two buttons, one clockwise another counterclockwise.

An encoder with push button for reset trim adjust.

For elevator trim - in planes that allow set in axis, maybe a 3 or 5 turn potentiometer allow more fine adjust. I have tested 10 turn but find too slow for adjust.

Or a good brand 270 degrees pot if prefer adjust elevator trim more fast that precise.

What a show of craftsmanship :)

Thanks Lucas! :)

Encoder is good for have rotary trim for planes that don't allow set trim on axis, as encoder press two buttons, one clockwise another counterclockwise.

An encoder with push button for reset trim adjust.

For elevator trim - in planes that allow set in axis, maybe a 3 or 5 turn potentiometer allow more fine adjust. I have tested 10 turn but find too slow for adjust.

Or a good brand 270 degrees pot if prefer adjust elevator trim more fast that precise.

Thanks Sokol, I buy a rotary encoder 24 pulse on ebay.... but unfortunately without push button..... :( (Bourns 24 Pulse Mechanical Rotary Encoder PEC11R-4220K-S0024 6mm Knurl Shaft)

I buyed before read your reply..... :(

I will test it and I will report my impressions.... If it is ok I will buy another with push button and I will used the first for another use....

Ciao!

Marco

The click on Encoder press is convenience for that  "gamey" reset trim, probable you will find this without click OK.  :)

For the cases that is possible use analog axes (conventional or multi turn pot) this convenience is not available. 

I use Encoders for all  three Trims. It moves with 3% steps,I can't do 1% adjustments. Before I used a 10 turn pot in Pitch,but BoS doesn't allow axis in all planes. I can compare the encoder and the 10 turn pot in CloD, it doesn't feel like much of a difference in accuracy in my opinion. I can level trim any plane with the encoders. I might switch  to 3 or 5 turn pots,if/when BoS allows use of them. Only downside of encoders,you don't have a mechanical stop.

I use Encoders for all  three Trims. It moves with 3% steps,I can't do 1% adjustments. Before I used a 10 turn pot in Pitch,but BoS doesn't allow axis in all planes. I can compare the encoder and the 10 turn pot in CloD, it doesn't feel like much of a difference in accuracy in my opinion. I can level trim any plane with the encoders. I might switch  to 3 or 5 turn pots,if/when BoS allows use of them. Only downside of encoders,you don't have a mechanical stop.

Hi Pirato, today should arrive the encoder. Next days I will report you my impression about it.

Ciao!

Marco

Hi guys, yesterday I tried the rotary encoder (24 pulse per turn) but his response is very slow.... :(

I tried to use the Leobodnar encoder config utility but I do not know how to proceed. Is there anyone who has experience with this utility?

Many thanks for your help!

Marco

P.s. :@Sokol1: the rotary has the pushbutton also! :good:

There is a dropdown menu at the bottom in the config software.Select something like 88ms,thats what I currently use. Basicly the lower the response time the faster the pulse of inputs will be. Setting it to low may result in less precision to set a trim certain percentage. You have to find the setting you like best.

Set the encoder input to 1:1 if you haven't already. You need to conect the encoders to the proper button pair,not every combination will work,like 22+23 for example.

Edited by ST_Pirato

Hi Pirato, many thanks for your suggestions!! I set the encoder at 88ms and input 1:1 and now it works fine!! :good: :good:

The pushbutton doesn't works, on the bu0836x when I press It, no button lights flashing on on the properties window....

Pity It would be useful to reset trim in neutral position....

Tomorrow I will build a quick and simply strut to hold the encoder in position, then I will make a wheel from a jar cap, just to use the encoder quite close to the final configuration. Later I will make a wheel and a strut more functional.

Ciao!

Marco

The Encoder push button require a third connection in buttons matrix, check this.

Encoder.jpg

Hi Sokol, thanks for suggestion.... :good:

For me is almost arabian, I will print the image and in the next days I will show to my friend who help me with electronics.

Ciao!

Marco

Et voilà le trim.... :lol:

o7m4Xg5.jpg

Horrible .... but it does work! :)

Next time It will has the push button also....

Ciao!

Marco

The Throttle looks great,but the trimwheel really doesn't fit well. :)

I used a Handwheel with 100mm Diameter used on machines. Maybe I will swap it out for a bigger one in the future. You will have to make an adapter to fit on the encoder axis though. The hole in the wheel is 12mm diameter,so I had to make a 12mm adapter with a 6mm hole in the center. Also it's better to have some kind of bearing to not put too much stress on the encoder itself. I just made something with a 12mm diameter hole in the center where the axis fits in with only little play.

post-13465-0-70361800-1508498928_thumb.png

Fantastic workmanship Markino and Pirato! I love this stuff!

Et voilà le trim.... :lol:

Horrible .... but it does work! :)

God job, important is that work, this "ad-hoc" solution was used be some people. ;)

BTW - Just in case, files for 3D print one: http://robdobson.com/2017/04/flight-trim/

Edited by Sokol1

Hi Pirato, congratulations for you sim location! :good:

As I said, my trim wheel is just a temporary solution, for testing the rotary encoder only. Coming soon I will design my own trim whell as I done for the joystick handle. I designed it by Solidworks, so coming soon I will do the same for the trim wheel. I have already a couple of ideas...

Thanks for your support guys!

Ciao!

Marco

Hi guys, I was thinking to realise the flaps control by a 4 position switch.

According to you it is possible to do this using this 4 way toggle switch (https://www.ebay.it/itm/Allparts-EP-4174-000-Tritan-4-Way-4-way-toggle-Switch-for-Telecaster/282270088397?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649)?

And if you think is possible, how do i make electrical connections on the BU0836X?

Many thanks for your help! Ciao!

Marco

Edited by markino

I think it's simple, one pole is for GND,the other four are for button input. I can't tell exactly which is for GND by the picture,but I think it's the left one.

Although this Telecaster switch has convenient format for flaps will be not practical for use in games, because flaps controls (in Bo'X, CLOD, DCSW)  require one key for up and one for down (fortunately) - what for "simpit" builders is ways better than the dumb 'toggle' used for most controls (resulting in that PITA flaps and radiator control in IL-2:

'46) and this switch has 4 fixed positions, thus require 4 buttons in Bu0836X (a waste).

This Leo Bodnar 12 positions rotary switch has similar construction/mechanics of Telecaster switch, but through use diodes use only 2 buttons in BU08336A/X and can be use for UP and DOWN.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_100&products_id=207

Is need wire this Telecaster switch in the same way, long time ago I see a scheme to wire this rotary switch for work like a encoder in some FSX forum, but I don't remember how...

Sometimes,if you get lucky ,you can find real aircraft Flap controls or other switches for a reasonable price. I found one some time ago,it was like 15 Euros+shipping and in great condition. Wiring it up was a bit of trial and error though,it has 10 connections terminals on it. Feels great to operate too.

Hi guys, many thanks for your replies.

This Leo Bodnar 12 positions rotary switch has similar construction/mechanics of Telecaster switch, but through use diodes use only 2 buttons in BU08336A/X and can be use for UP and DOWN.

http://www.leobodnar...products_id=207

Very interesting Sokol! I see in the link you sharing the wiring for 1 button, but to have 2 buttons to replicate UP and DOWN keys, how I should wiring the rotary switch?

Sometimes,if you get lucky ,you can find real aircraft Flap controls or other switches for a reasonable price. I found one some time ago,it was like 15 Euros+shipping and in great condition. Wiring it up was a bit of trial and error though,it has 10 connections terminals on it. Feels great to operate too.

This also is very interesting Pirato....maybe I look at the internet .... you never know ...

Ciao!

Marco

I miss the detail that this L.Bodnar rotary switch require use L.Bodnar BBI32 card, don't work in BU0836A/X

The way to use ordinary rotary switch pressing one button if turned clockwise and other button if turned counterclockwise, or similar a encoder, but without require compatible firmware/software, is this:

http://www.737ng.co.uk/simple%20encoder.pdf

http://www.737ng.co.uk/technical.htm

Alternatively this Alps Pulse Switch (available in Mouser) do the same thing: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/TW-700079.pdf

Take a look in this document, may work for this Telecaster switch:

http://www.737ng.co.uk/switch_as_encoder.pdf

Edited by Sokol1

Wow! Thanks Sokol :) . A lot of informations.... Now I have to try to understand something :scratch_one-s_head:

I will ask a couple of friends who work in the electronics industry to give me a hand ...

Ciao!

Marco

I miss the detail that this L.Bodnar rotary switch require use L.Bodnar BBI32 card, don't work in BU0836A/X

Sokol maybe to use the rotary selector with BU0836X is need the encoder configuration utility,right?

From "simple encoder" pdf: "This part only applies if you are connecting your ‘pseudo-encoder’ to the BU0836 or X cards.First get the encoder config utility from Leo Bodnar’s website. Plug in your controller andrun the utility......"

I have already this utility for my trim rotary encoder switch.

Ciao!

Marco

The idea is though the rotary switch state (on or off) send the code expected by Encoder software (1 and 0), so this diferentiate if rotary swtich is turn clockwise and counterclockwise.

Other example:

rotary-modificada.jpg

Turned clockwise the output sequence will be Red, Blue, Green, Orange... (1, 2, 3, 4) then repeat.

Turned counterclockwise the output sequence will be Orange, Green, Blue, Red... (4, 3, 2, 1) then repeat.

Edited by Sokol1