Gavrick

Developer Diary, Part 162 - Discussion

Also, much depends on how you set up your own system. If you don't have to worry about your neighbours or about pricey glass in the cupboard, crank up base. I think you've got a good chance to get BoS very close to the real thing.

That's not entirely correct.  

At altitudes below 10000 feet the clipped winged VB was about 8kph faster than the standard version.  At 15,000 - 20,000 feet it was about the same and at 25,000 feet the standard version was slightly faster.

Clostermann (caveating this as his opinion rather than a technical evaluation) has it that the 45-equipped Spitfire Vs he flew with 602 were fast on the deck but become 'lumps of lead' by 13,000 ft. He was also quite sniffy about the 60-roudn drum magazine after flying the IXs with 341.

Still, c. 1,500hp at maximum plus the large wings should allow decent rate of climb...?

• Upvote 1

I don't think any of the planes in BoX completely captures the RL sound of a high powered piston engine, especially in the flypast. The Spit is fairly close but still lacks that brutal metallic base.  

+1 and this is meant as constructive critizism: The flybysounds sound pretty gamey imho.

Im not completely sold either.

Not sure which models these planes are, but the sounds are very different:

Some of those are griffon engined Spits, so they do sound a bit 'meatier' than the Merlin variants :)

I would also guess that Merlin46 and 45 sound quite a bit different than late ware Merlins. I have so far not found recordings of those.

I don't think any of the planes in BoX completely captures the RL sound of a high powered piston engine, especially in the flypast. The Spit is fairly close but still lacks that brutal metallic base.

That's true, it's not a Spitfire specific issue. Still very excited for the Spit!! The VR experience is going to be amazing!

I would also guess that Merlin46 and 45 sound quite a bit different than late ware Merlins. I have so far not found recordings of those.

Not especially, from airshow experience. Different supercharger arrangement might make a difference, as it does with the P-51 vs Spitfire.

Do we have any mk V Spit footage to compare real life sounds? All the videos seem like later models.

I think the new IL2 has the best stock engine sounds in a sim. In the cockpit when you start up the engine it is LOUD in my headphones love it :)

Can't wait to fly the Spit! Lots of cool aircraft coming up has me excited! Spit, P-39, A-20, Hs-129

My heart just broke a little :sorry:

Don't be sad please, here is one more video for you  ;)

• Upvote 32

I love you Han.

Honestly the Spit never really did anything for me but seeing it in motion is getting me very hyped to fly it.

Edited by BorysVorobyov
  • Upvote 1

it doesn't sounds like a Spitfire..

Depends on whick Mk etc. It may not be perfect but overall it sounds ok to me.

https://youtu.be/97Ou_wL1P0Q

Edited by Haza

Great video and perfect roll there too.

Enjoyed it immensely. I was thinking, now if he just wipes his goggles at the and it will be... Yep!

:)

Glorious!

Thank You 1CGS team this is just beautiful! Your sim: nothing comes close to it!

Edited by Caudron431Micha

Not especially, from airshow experience. Different supercharger arrangement might make a difference, as it does with the P-51 vs Spitfire.

Depends on whick Mk etc. It may not be perfect but overall it sounds ok to me.

When it comes to Merlins there are in essence just two types: ones with single stage supercharging and ones with two-staged supercharging.  From the Mk IX onward, all Spitfires fitted with Merlins had two-stage superchargers.  The Mk XVI Spitfire and the P51 D shared essentially the same (Packard produced) engine with the possible exception of the supercharger drive gears.  Maybe an expert could tell the difference in engine sound between the two but for all practical purposes I suspect the sound is much the same.

We only have a short sound bite of the in-game Merlin to go on at this stage but I must confess it doesn't sound that much like a Merlin to me.

Edited by Wulf
  • Upvote 1

Those flaps look more like airbrakes too mee damnn  :o:  Did they really extend that far?! Impressive aha  :blink:

Now that was brilliant!!!!

as for the sound, on my system with the volume and bass cranked up, the roll past the camera and slow pass with flaps extended nearly put my windows through, i think it looks and sounds amazing!!

I can't wait!

Cheers

Those flaps look more like airbrakes too mee damnn  :o:  Did they really extend that far?! Impressive aha  :blink:

Yes, but if they are similar to the Spit flaps in the old 1946 you can only deploy them at very low speed.

as for the sound, on my system with the volume and bass cranked up, the roll past the camera and slow pass with flaps extended nearly put my windows through, i think it looks and sounds amazing!!

+1

So, will the flight model for this plane be updated a month after release? Or is this the final version?

So, will the flight model for this plane be updated a month after release? Or is this the final version?

Check out Han's roll at 2 minutes in.   That's got to be the "new" FM. 

Anyway,  in view of the amount of dev time it takes to make the FM's, it would seem bonkers to make something that has to be updated to a known standard in one month's time?

Btw; I've seen plenty of airshow Spits - including Vb's - and the sound seems fine to me.

Edited by DD_Arthur

i was like...
only the canopy???
then he retracted the flaps. and the side access panel opened.
and the little metallic flap indicator too...

NSFW!!!

Watching the acro vid, i would be very surprised if it wasn´t the new FM. (Did you ever see such a spin and recovery in any sim ?)

Edited by Quax

I'd just like to say that today I flew the Yak, 1B for the first time and .... No wobbling at all. This means that maybe my Saitek X52 Pro is not the whole responsible. So, I'm very excited about the new FM tweaks that you COULD make my wobbling nightmare with the 109 be gone.
I'm very optimistic now!

optimism-breeds-optimism.jpg

Edited by -=PHX=-Spartan-

I suspect the delay is because of the extra time it took away for them to do the new calculations for the FMs'?   :sorry:

I too was hoping for next week... :mellow:

I suspect the delay is because of the extra time it took away for them to do the new calculations for the FMs'? :sorry:

I too was hoping for next week... :mellow:

I thought the FM update will come after this one. This one is the spitfire and the scripted campaign (with other goodies).

Also remember the devs are using the dev version of the game so they probably have access already to things we won't have for a while.

I thought the FM update will come after this one. This one is the spitfire and the scripted campaign (with other goodies).

The FM update is work done on each individual plane so I assume they created the FM for the Spit with the new changes in place, it would be a hell of a job to create it only to know to "fix" it two weeks later  :biggrin:  Plus watch it fly yourself you should be able to notice the increased stability 

Who was the pilot ? Jason?

Nice aerobatics display..

Han

Pls remember that it is really hard to evaluate sounds in a youtube vid. There is a world of difference between in-game sound and what is transmitted via the rather harsh sound compression of youtube. 

Don't be sad please, here is one more video for you  ;)

In the words of Alain de Cadenet: [edited]

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Sorry...choose other words from him.
  • Upvote 1

Doesn't a lot of the distinctive sound from each aircraft come from the prop? 

Great aerobatics vid, from what I could tell it looks like the flow restrictor is working pretty damn well! I didn't hear any cut outs under negative G?

Pls remember that it is really hard to evaluate sounds in a youtube vid. There is a world of difference between in-game sound and what is transmitted via the rather harsh sound compression of youtube. 

Fair point, but on the other hand that also applies to any vid of a real world Spit as well and it sounds to me (I use a pair of good quality headphones) that external audio doesn't sound much like a Merlin from any online vid (or my own experience), although the cockpit audio sounds great!

Doesn't a lot of the distinctive sound from each aircraft come from the prop? 

If you're referring to how the P-51 sounds a bit louder and angrier than the Spit, it is indeed due in part to the different props but also the exhaust pipe profile. If you're referring to the famous whine/howl, that's from the gun ports.

• Upvote 1

The FM update is work done on each individual plane so I assume they created the FM for the Spit with the new changes in place, it would be a hell of a job to create it only to know to "fix" it two weeks later  :biggrin:  Plus watch it fly yourself you should be able to notice the increased stability 

That's not what I meant, I've already stated that obviously the Spitfire wont come with an "old" FM somewhere in this thread.

What I meant is that this upcoming patch is not the big FM update patch (2.012). That would be the next one. This one (2.011) will only bring the Spit and Campaign.

If you're referring to how the P-51 sounds a bit louder and angrier than the Spit, it is indeed due in part to the different props but also the exhaust pipe profile. If you're referring to the famous whine/howl, that's from the gun ports.

No I meant the engines sounds. Years ago, a friend of mine got into tractor pulling. The tractor he built was powered by an Allison V-12 that he'd bought from E.J. Potter, who had a load of the engines in storage. At any rate, even though this engine had custom built exhaust stacks that were far longer than could ever been mounted on an airplane, it was louder than hell. It didn't sound anything like it would have when turning a propeller.

Sometimes I wonder if the whine attributed to the guns isn't exaggerated some how at airshows.

Watch out Spitfire here he comes.............................!!!! :biggrin: 

post-14161-0-17828300-1498308616_thumb.jpg