Jason_Williams

My experience with a 4K monitor and other good stuff.

Right gents  :salute: ...

@a_radek: 

Thanks for the invitation, but Sweden is somewhat off course from dutch-austria... I will take a VIVE demo (no OCULUS demo found) at electro shop Conrad in nearby Salzburg when my workschedule allows..

@Bearfoot:

Hi Zoltan, 

I'm afraid that running in 1080px "simulates" VR even less than using a magnifying glass on your monitor simulates the smell of the avgas and cordite!

With VR, the magic happens in your head not in your eyes. The visual field just happens to be a channel to inject the experience into our minds. Focusing on the visual resolution is like worrying about the syringe color when taking a flu shot. New and different parts of your brain are engaged/turned on. And the benefit is not just immersion, but practical: the 1-to-1 6DOF coupled with the sense of "being" there allowing you to map the movements of objects in 3D space in relation to your so much more intuitively and naturally, plus the depth perception helping with gunnery.

I understand VR is not for everyone, and I am not advocating it for everyone. But when I see people trying to decide/evaluate based on resolution alone, I feel compelled to speak up! Resolution is so secondary to the experience that it does not matter (EDIT: that is not to say that I don't crave more resolution and will be definitely be jumping on the next gen headsets ... it is just that the current resolution is good enough to get by, and the VR experience comes through the same regardless of resolution)!

As I stated above, I used to fly in 4K with everything maxed out (980Ti/1080Ti + i7-4790K). Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous detail. Now I fly in VR, and, 1080px or not, my 4K monitor has been moved to my work laptop and I use and old 2K monitor for the sim computer, just enough to get me into IL2/DCS where VR can then take over. My TrackIR is in a box on a shelf, soon to be sold.

Very well said, thanks!

@dburne:

Getting what youre saying, taking the VIVE demo soon as mentioned. If convinced, I hope to  getaway with it with the missus it as it would "benefit the kidz too"  :ph34r:

Cheers, Zol.

• Upvote 1

4k is freaking amazing. Prices have become much better. Just make sure your graphics card can support it.

I have a 28" Asus 4K monitor on the way, so I am highly excited to see how good it is.

I have a 28" Asus 4K monitor on the way, so I am highly excited to see how good it is.

Having 2560x1440 before 4k monitor 1" bigger (28"), if I view this il2 on both I can actually pick up the black lines between pixels on the old monitor. And it bothers me a lot, so I stick with 4k.

My screen uses 3440x1440 resolution and the game looks gorgeous, I often just admire the scenery when flying.

I have a Rift but it has well known problems with image quality and those issues prevent me from retiring my monitor when gaming. I just value image clarity and sharpness of my 2d screen too much. Looking forward for next gen devices!

Team deserves our respects for a great work they've done!

Yeah 4K in this sim looks just stunning and the recent DX11 upgrade makes it less taxing on your system. You can read all the tiny letters in the cockpit and the map textures from above look gorgeous.

Many games don't quite need the resolution boost of 2160p but flight sims need all the pixels they can get since you're always trying to see small targets and read dials etc.

Here's a question:

Does going 4k make it easier to spot and ID contacts?

I rather dislike the concept of lowering graphics in order to spot better (like lowering AA, as I've heard done in CloD, or some such)... but I am all in favour of upping graphical fidelity to get that edge. :)

Here's a question:

I rather dislike the concept of lowering graphics in order to spot better (like lowering AA, as I've heard done in CloD, or some such)... but I am all in favour of upping graphical fidelity to get that edge. :)

I found the difference between 720p and 1440p to be negligible, actually.

In fact, it seems like it's almost harder to spot at 1440p... YMMV.

Here's a question:

Yes and no. The primary thing you perceive in this regard is size and contrast. 4K actually doesn't do anything to improve those. But what it does do is make identifying different types of aircraft easier and even seeing their markings. Bits of other objects are less likely to be aliased out by pixels. It's essentially having sharper vision so yes it's a big boost.

What's seems really good is that along with the higher resolution. 4K video is coming with HDR (not the same HDR as PC graphics) an expanded range of color and contrast. All consumer Ultra HD products like TVs and disc players are 4K+HDR and some games are now too. That would be a real boost for flight sims since that genuinely improves picture quality, not just the resolution.

I found the difference between 720p and 1440p to be negligible, actually.

In fact, it seems like it's almost harder to spot at 1440p... YMMV.

It depends on a lot of factors, but if both monitors are of the same quality and equally calibrated the higher res. monitor should definitely win in the spotting competition. Some nice graphic settings like sharpen/hdr or ssao actually decrease the ability to spot a little as dots are either washed out or the sharpness makes them disappear partly on longer ranges. The clearer the picture the better the spotting.

Guest deleted@30725

Shout out to the team - great work.

This last patch is running really fast.

I have a 1440p IPS screen. I pushed every slider to the max and, in the little time i played it with Vsync off, didn't drop below 90fps. Most of the time was runing at around 110.

I'm looking at 4k screens, but I paid a lot for this one when i got it and new 4k IPS screens, with decent refresh rate are just as expensive now, as my 1440k screen was back when i got it.

So I'll wait a little.

Edited by Jaws2002

Higher resolution should also go with bigger screen so yes bigger contact are easier to spot. BTW 27 inch for 4K is in my opinion to small I have now 3440x1440 at 34 inches and it is optimal and do to different ratio than standard 16:9 I see more game image in both sides of screen that is an advantage in combat sim.

And what if one is not a hard-core simulation player or his too young or has not the money to buy the 4k monitor that are still expensive (or cannot or do not use VR)?!

Are they left on the side of the road?

Are the prices of the 4k monitors so cheap that all can buy them?!

If not is building the game around this technology not saying, we are not for you only for those how can afford or make the effort to buy the equipment for enjoy it?

I love this game and always will but VR and 4K monitors, is it not pushing it a little to far?  :salute: 

A 4k monitor 27 inch for a pc should be a 2560 x1440 that is the minimum normal are 3840 x 2160 pixels and are at least twice the price of a normal 27 inch monitor that are not cheap!  :salute: 

If not is building the game around this technology not saying, we are not for you only for those how can afford or make the effort to buy the equipment for enjoy it?

Err, what exactly are you saying? That they shouldn't code for higher res monitors because not everyone can afford them? If you can't afford a 4K monitor, perhaps just enjoy it on what you've got. Pretty simple.

. BTW 27 inch for 4K is in my opinion to small.

Not at all.

It all depends on your distance to the screen lol. I have a 24" 2k monitor and I like it a lot for my viewing distance.

It all depends on your distance to the screen lol. I have a 24" 2k monitor and I like it a lot for my viewing distance.Yep

Yep - I played on a 22" for years...6 years to be exact and it was fine - before that it was a 19" for years and years and it also was fine.

Now my 27" - much better but even then I can't say the 22" was too small, especially given how close I sit to my screen.

Anything bigger than 28" would be too large for my viewing distance.

In any case 4K is sooooooo nice.

Edited by Gambit21

So if I go into a store and want to see for myself what a 4k TV can do both for a game and for reading print on a MS Word document what would be something to ask them to set up?

I am still skeptical that a TV can still give me the size and clarity that a PC Monitor can.

Yes it is - not only my opinion.

I'm sitting at normal desktop distance from a 28" 4K screen and the improvement over 1080p is definitely noticeable. I can actually make out pixels and jaggies and therefore need 2xAA to smooth out the picture. If you need antialiasing then that means there's actually room for improvement beyond even 4K. I think Apple figured 27" 5K was high enough that users can't distinguish pixels.

Philips 40" BDM4065UC coupled with 1080ti.... amazeballs. As for identification, 6/7km's ok, but keep your screen clean cause every dirty spot could be your foe :D

Edited by bjsracer

Well, I had to send my monitor back to Newegg for an exchange - it had black lines across the top and sides that just didn't look good at all. Hoping the replacement unit is better in that regard - the monitor otherwise looked great.

Anyone remember 14 inch 640x480 monitors? We've come a long way.

Going from the 320x240 games to syndicate wars in 640x480 was a 5 fps euphoria.

Not to say anything about the clouds improvement.  I think that feature sneaked in without much fanfare,  unjustly!!  "Medium", "Heavy" and "Overcast" clouds in ALL nine variations of them, look absolutely astonishing.   Add an early morning or late afternoon time of day and you miss bandits homing on you because you just admiring the view.  :)  Indeed 4k gives the "Wish you were there" feeling. 

Many appreciative "thank yous"

Edited by II./JG1_Kadin

4K does effectively eliminate the jaggy effect that occurs from planes in front of clouds due to the lack of antialiasing. Jaggies in 2160p are very small.

I am using a 144hz Monitor atm and I wouldn't go back to 60hz even for 4k, I saw 4K 144hz monitors are not too far away but damn they are going to be expensive  :(

I am using a 144hz Monitor atm and I wouldn't go back to 60hz even for 4k, I saw 4K 144hz monitors are not too far away but damn they are going to be expensive  :(

• Upvote 1

I'll see your "not going back to 60hz" and raise you a "not going backwards to 1080p, or 1440p, even for 144hz.

60hz is plenty for BoS and I'm not going back to a TN panel either, this 4k IPS is BEAUTIFUL.

In 5 years I'll see about 4K IPS panels with higher refresh, but even then 120 or so will be fine for me.

Edited by Gambit21

Getting 144fps in a sim like this would be really tough. It's the CPU load that limits you in many cases. So you might as well go for the higher resolution.

Getting 144fps in a sim like this would be really tough. It's the CPU load that limits you in many cases. So you might as well go for the higher resolution.

In 1440p resolution with the HUD turned off I get 144 fps even in large furballs (Berloga server).

Gtx 1080 , g-sync monitor.

I get 144 fps most of the time though  :mellow:

Same boat as a couple posters above me - 144FPS is easy at 1440p.

Philips 40" BDM4065UC coupled with 1080ti.... amazeballs. As for identification, 6/7km's ok, but keep your screen clean cause every dirty spot could be your foe :D

+1

Sitting at armlength distance from the screen 40" is nice. Fills a lot of your vision, and instrument and commands are of natural size in the pit.

BTW 4K on a 40" screen is the same pixel density as a 20" screen in 1080p, which is plenty enough. 

I don't see any valid reason to prefer anything smaller, unless your computer is set up in a cupboard.

I don't see any valid reason to prefer anything smaller, unless your computer is set up in a cupboard.

Guffaw

just got asus 27" 1440p 144hz monitor, i know it's not 4k but coming from cheap 1080p 60hz AOC this is mind blowing!

Sharpness, smoothness (i7 6700k, gtx1070) and colours are just wow, i thought it won't be such huge difference.....me happy!