Jason_Williams

My experience with a 4K monitor and other good stuff.

So I finally got a 4K monitor and I am comparing it to the VR experience, which as we already know is awesome. I'm playing the latest non-public build which includes some new stuff which I won't get into yet, but I gotta say I'm really feeling the 4K fun. The increased resolution coupled with our previous performance enhancements and tweaks like the sharpen filter plus some other new things you'll learn about soon - just makes for a stunning display and flying experience. On just 2x AA and no Supersampling there isn't a jaggy to be found and the objects, especially planes with 4K skins look very sharp and super real. Terrain looks amazingly too.

Not only as the current Sturmovik boss, but as a fan of simming I must say the 1C-777 team is really knocking it out of the park. It took some time, but they are setting a new standard in the genre and I'm really proud of them. I set an aggressive schedule for them, but they are delivering. I know how hard these guys work and they deserve a lot of applause and your continued support. I'm seriously loving it like never before. I'm running on an older I7 chip with a GTX 980 and 12Gb of RAM. Frames are great, always pushing 60 in most situations maxed out graphics.

So if you have a good system, don't be afraid of all those 4K pixels. You can't go wrong with either 4K or VR now. 

Jason

• Upvote 34

Nice. Now with 4K monitors with 144hz refresh rate on the way I might retire my 1440p 144hz Acer.

Interested to hear about new graphical features and other stuff coming in the next patch.

Hopefully we get some info soon.

I agree with Jason: having just upgraded to large 4K TV, the visual impact is stunning even with the current build. The game - that is the team - really has made a lot of progress.

Jason,

interesting you mention it right today - I was at a local mall admiring the 4k TVs, that having an HDMI port can connect to my GTX 960 4GB. Only problem is if the card, and my old i5 2500, would support such a high resolution ( ? )

I also say the ASUS 1920 x 1080 27" monitors, @ 144hz VSync, designed to match Nvidia cards. They cost a third of the 4k TV monitors.

For me VR will never be an option, for various reasons, but 4k would also work with the latest ( beta ) version of ELITE IFR I am testing :-), and with Aerofly FS 2 !

Edited by jcomm

Encouraging for sure. I've been looking at 4K monitors for a while but I think I'll have to hold off for a bit. Lots of other stuff I "need" to buy right now... Still it sounds like a fantastic experience!

I have to confirm, what this team is coming up with is amazing. Seeing all the things to come this game will transform into something truly unprecedented.

I btw play this on 2k with a DSR of 2.0 and it is also incredibly sharp.

I've been flying IL2 on 4K for the last couple of years. In fact, I've flown in IL2 in 4K from day 1. And I have always thought that the landscape/world/objects are simply gorgeous. Easily the best in any sim I fly. And not just that, but realistic in way that no other sim I fly captures. And then there are small details close-up on the ground that you don't normally see (until you crash or bail out LOL!), such as the river shores etc., that are absolutely spot on both from an aesthetic as well as realism perspective.

Having said that, less than a week after getting my VR, I re-tasked my 4K monitor to serve as my work laptop second monitor, and for my gaming computer am using just an ancient 2K (1920x1080) for IL2 and everything else. Cannot say how IL2 looks in 2K, because since getting my VR, I have not flown it in 2D ever!

Edited by Bearfoot

Jason,

interesting you mention it right today - I was at a local mall admiring the 4k TVs, that having an HDMI port can connect to my GTX 960 4GB. Only problem is if the card, and my old i5 2500, would support such a high resolution ( ? )

I also say the ASUS 1920 x 1080 27" monitors, @ 144hz VSync, designed to match Nvidia cards. They cost a third of the 4k TV monitors.

For me VR will never be an option, for various reasons, but 4k would also work with the latest ( beta ) version of ELITE IFR I am testing :-), and with Aerofly FS 2 !

I'm not sure if that i5 and a 960 can get it done on Ultra at 4K. Maybe an i5 with a 960 can pull off Balanced in 4K alright. By upping the res you can cut back on the filters like SS and AA so that saves some energy to push more frames. It all depends on what you feel is a playable FPS. I like to peg 60 as much as possible, but some users don't care as long as it is above 24.

The good news is that with our recent tweaks buying good hardware gives a good boost and we're not relying on older tech that may not be supported.

Jason 

• Upvote 3

This echo's my own experience as well.  I have a 32" IPS Samsung Freesync 4k monitor and the clarity at 4K is something to behold.  I have heard many state "once you try a sim in VR you never go back" and I immediately think, you must be running 1080p and the low res and poor IQ of VR  displays must not be as noticeable.

I love VR but when I use it I eventually miss the clarity of 4k, yet when I fly 4k for a while I eventually miss the immersion of VR.  So I have the best of both worlds. :)

Low pixel density

Screen Door Effect

Colour Bleed

God Rays

All of these issues are major IQ issues in VR and are a major detractor but overall it is still something I'm glad I own.  On the other hand I can get into the clarity of 4k when I feel the urge.

Edited by ICDP

That is my experience exactly too! With my new PC build, 4K 40" monitor and the RX 480 OC, performace and graphics are superb. I'm loving it! Thanks J and the 777 team for the very best combat flight sim ever!

still on 1080p 60hz with i7 6700k and gtx1070......someone please throw brick on me!

in a two weeks i'll go for 1440p/144hz....waiting payday

You guys have definitely knocked it out of the park with this one!

I myself am absolutely loving this sim in VR on my Rift.

Running Ultra Graphics, 4x Terrain distance, 8x MSAA through Nvidia Control Panel and it is absolutely gorgeous with great performance.

I am way more than pleased !

Really looking foward to future builds!

• Upvote 1

Good stuff Jason,

I'm loving my 4K monitor...60 fps is plenty for BoX, so go for the resolution.

I haven't had time to experiment with graphics settings, what to leave on, turn off etc to make things look the best. That would make a useful thread. (Nvidia settings etc)

I think we're all extremely impressed with what Han the other gents are accomplishing and the rate at which their doing it.

VR, plus Kuban coming. It's a good time to be flight simmer.

Jcomm - I run an i5 2500k (soon to be upgraded to a Ryzen 1700X) and a GTX 1080 and it knocks it out of the park.

Previous to this recent upgrade I ran an overclocked 970, and it most definitely DID NOT handle the resolution.

Frame rates were between 13 and 59, depending on the situation.

The 13 fps was a busy Mosow (not optimized as per Jason's post a while back) airfield with 10 Ju52's kicking up snow and taking off, once in the air the frame rates were much better, but still not optimal.

960 is definitely not enough.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 1

Does the increased resolution make it easier to identify planes in the distance? 

Somewhat yes, but not too much. The picture just gets clearer and dots don't get washed out.

Ask when I have BoS booted up and I'm actually flying instead of toiling in the mission editor.

In fact I think I'll do a little practice flying today...been months and months I tell ya.

"The increased resolution coupled with our previous performance enhancements and tweaks like the sharpen filter..."

Hi Jason, it is possible to include a slide bar to adjust percentage of the filter?

Glad to hear the 4K experience is great.

I got an Acer 4K Gsync predator monitor when I thought my ultrawide broke (turns out only the DP cable broke). 

I have to say that I just couldn't get used to it, I don't know if I can go back to a regular aspect ratio anymore.

I was so glad to hear that I just had to replace my DP cable, I returned the 4K monitor immediately.

Lately I've just been using the Vive for simming except for a couple of times where I used TrackIR on WOL.

Jason, is it a 980, or a 980TI?

Because if its a 980 I go out on Tuesday and get myself a 4k monitor...

I've been flying IL2 on 4K for the last couple of years. In fact, I've flown in IL2 in 4K from day 1. And I have always thought that the landscape/world/objects are simply gorgeous. Easily the best in any sim I fly. And not just that, but realistic in way that no other sim I fly captures. And then there are small details close-up on the ground that you don't normally see (until you crash or bail out LOL!), such as the river shores etc., that are absolutely spot on both from an aesthetic as well as realism perspective.

Having said that, less than a week after getting my VR, I re-tasked my 4K monitor to serve as my work laptop second monitor, and for my gaming computer am using just an ancient 2K (1920x1080) for IL2 and everything else. Cannot say how IL2 looks in 2K, because since getting my VR, I have not flown it in 2D ever!

2K is actually 1440 x 2560 (4x 720p), and 4K is 2160 x 3840 (4x 1080p), 1080 x 1920 is just 1080p. Edited by Riderocket

Jason, is it a 980, or a 980TI?

Because if its a 980 I go out on Tuesday and get myself a 4k monitor...

This one is an EVGA 980 SC. It's a little overclocked from the factory. I have no idea how many extra frames that gets me, but all cards can be OC'd a little.

Jason

In case of 4k resolution, do not be bothered as much with cpu. High resolutions require more steam from gpu and its often the gpu that causes a bottleneck there, not the cpu. Cpu matters when you want both high resolutions and high framerate - like a 1440p 144hz monitor. 

I'm still waiting for a new gpu and then what to choose - 1440p 144hz or 4k 60hz. Either way I expect to be blasted by the experience.

I was feeling a bit beat down as I managed to drop my tv, effectively busting it useless so I had to get a new one instead of the VR I had dreamed of a good while... So, I now have a 55" LG 770v SUHD tv and boy, do I love the magnificent 4K graphics in a big ass screen! I spent a couple of hours just flying about and marveling the work You guys have done :D

There is couple of issues bugging my mind though : The sharpening effect doesn't look quite good on my tv, it creates sometihing like a halo type effect around objects so I turned it off. This might be my settings issue though, as I'm a complete nub when tinkering with settings.

Another thing I found, is that I had quite bad flickering especially in flybys and that caused me to curse the tv already :D but it seems it has something to do with the V-sync, turning it off and also dropping the FPS target option seemed to erase the flicker.

Lastly, I was playing the game until this month with a 770GTX 4GB and it was fluid enough, flying into smoke caused quite an FPS drop though. Another slo-mo thing was the mission map, maybe the devs could make an option to disable the backround hangar, it would help those with older GPUs?

Anyway, just wanted to thank You guys for the product, looking forward to Kuban!

Hi gents,

Recently upgraded to an 40 inch Iiyama 3860x2140@60hz. (lets call it 4K).

Payed €566/$590 for it. Thats about the Price of an Oculus...

Running i6700 (not o-clocked), 16GB Ram, Gtx 1080 parallel, Trackir5.

AWSOME.

As a commercial pilot, I think this Game is brilliant. (not perfect, but hey, they are working on it, friggin hard) What potential to revive the old Il2 days....

I enjoy this game so much...but I digress..

With very highest Settings giving solid 60fps in stunning crisp clarity and fluidness. Could easily make out Tanks in Village or recognize

contours

of Bogeys, facilitating IFF.

Now, my theory was, that until VR Res has improved, Filling my view with this huge Screen would be a viable alternative.

Also, by zooming out in cockpit, it gives a wide view angle (somewhat like the ultrawide monitors) but still having readable instruments and normal cockpit views because of the huge screen. If I zoom back to normal, I actually get a cockpit view size about 1:1 to the real fighters!

(I compare to sitting in spit cockpit in the RAF museum and was impressed y its claustrofo... I mean snuggedness.)

Then, as an experiment, I flew in 1080x760, because that simulates approximately the present effective VR experience. I have to Imagine to Really See

only the

virtual World. (and doubtlessly fail)

Spoiled by 4K, that needs a lot of VR immersion to top it.

On the other hand, the VR experience must by unique, so I am still undecided if an Oculus would be a worthwhile investment......

This IL2 series is getting so good... Thanks Jason and Team, for letting this crazy hobby escalate into a piece of art.

@dBurne: I have followed your and others VR experience with interest. May I ask what 2D screen you come from?

Edit: apologies for the layout, still "enjoying" win10 fearures....

Edited by Zoltann

Then, as an experiment, I flew in 1080x760, because that simulates approximately the present effective VR experience. I have to Imagine to Really See

only the

virtual World. (and doubtlessly fail)

Spoiled by 4K, that needs a lot of VR immersion to top it.

Apples and oranges Zoltann. Can't compare them. I recommend anyone considering VR to try it before deciding if it's for you. Speaking of that, my house is open to any il2:er close by that want's to give VR a go. Southern tip of Sweden though.

I was feeling a bit beat down as I managed to drop my tv, effectively busting it useless so I had to get a new one instead of the VR I had dreamed of a good while... So, I now have a 55" LG 770v SUHD tv and boy, do I love the magnificent 4K graphics in a big ass screen! I spent a couple of hours just flying about and marveling the work You guys have done :D

There is couple of issues bugging my mind though : The sharpening effect doesn't look quite good on my tv, it creates sometihing like a halo type effect around objects so I turned it off. This might be my settings issue though, as I'm a complete nub when tinkering with settings.

Another thing I found, is that I had quite bad flickering especially in flybys and that caused me to curse the tv already :D but it seems it has something to do with the V-sync, turning it off and also dropping the FPS target option seemed to erase the flicker.

Lastly, I was playing the game until this month with a 770GTX 4GB and it was fluid enough, flying into smoke caused quite an FPS drop though. Another slo-mo thing was the mission map, maybe the devs could make an option to disable the backround hangar, it would help those with older GPUs?

Anyway, just wanted to thank You guys for the product, looking forward to Kuban!

Some TV do have an game mode, try to find this.

I have tested ROF wayback in 2013 or something like that, on an 42" LG-3d LED and a 40" Samsung, both 1080p and my conclusion was that I do prefer a decent monitor. You could clearly see that an TV act different on an tv or PC signal.

I do not know the age of the members here, but be aware when going to the autum in age, your eyes need an correction and not only for reading! So yeah I admit I have ordered glasses for working with a PC. Right now all included for €19,- by Specsavers, still think for improvement in game view, this could be cheaper then 4k, 55", OLED or 144hrz. :-)

edit: and do not forget to callibrate your monitor, lots of info to read on Google.

Edited by Dutch2

Hi Zoltan, 

I'm afraid that running in 1080px "simulates" VR even less than using a magnifying glass on your monitor simulates the smell of the avgas and cordite!

With VR, the magic happens in your head not in your eyes. The visual field just happens to be a channel to inject the experience into our minds. Focusing on the visual resolution is like worrying about the syringe color when taking a flu shot. New and different parts of your brain are engaged/turned on. And the benefit is not just immersion, but practical: the 1-to-1 6DOF coupled with the sense of "being" there allowing you to map the movements of objects in 3D space in relation to your so much more intuitively and naturally, plus the depth perception helping with gunnery.

I understand VR is not for everyone, and I am not advocating it for everyone. But when I see people trying to decide/evaluate based on resolution alone, I feel compelled to speak up! Resolution is so secondary to the experience that it does not matter (EDIT: that is not to say that I don't crave more resolution and will be definitely be jumping on the next gen headsets ... it is just that the current resolution is good enough to get by, and the VR experience comes through the same regardless of resolution)!

As I stated above, I used to fly in 4K with everything maxed out (980Ti/1080Ti + i7-4790K). Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous detail. Now I fly in VR, and, 1080px or not, my 4K monitor has been moved to my work laptop and I use and old 2K monitor for the sim computer, just enough to get me into IL2/DCS where VR can then take over. My TrackIR is in a box on a shelf, soon to be sold.

Edited by Bearfoot
  • Upvote 2

Hi Zoltan,

I'm afraid that running in 1080px "simulates" VR even less than using a magnifying glass on your monitor simulates the smell of the avgas and cordite!

With VR, the magic happens in your head not in your eyes. The visual field just happens to be a channel to inject the experience into our minds. Focusing on the visual resolution is like worrying about the syringe color when taking a flu shot. New and different parts of your brain are engaged/turned on. And the benefit is not just immersion, but practical: the 1-to-1 6DOF coupled with the sense of "being" there allowing you to map the movements of objects in 3D space in relation to your so much more intuitively and naturally, plus the depth perception helping with gunnery.

I understand VR is not for everyone, and I am not advocating it for everyone. But when I see people trying to decide/evaluate based on resolution alone, I feel compelled to speak up! Resolution is so secondary to the experience that it does not matter!

As I stated above, I used to fly in 4K with everything maxed out (980Ti/1080Ti + i7-4790K). Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous detail. Now I fly in VR, and, 1080px or not, my 4K monitor has been moved to my work laptop and I use and old 2K monitor for the sim computer, just enough to get me into IL2/DCS where VR can then take over. My TrackIR is in a box on a shelf, soon to be sold.

1080p :P

• Upvote 1

1080p :P

Ah, yes, meant: one thousand and eighty by one thousand and twenty picture elements.

Hi Zoltan, 

That is probably one of the best descriptions of flying in VR I have seen, and I can certainly relate to it the same as well.

While I may have only a 1080p monitor, the image clarity on it in BoS far exceeds the image clarity in my Rift.

However, there is no comparison at all between them , I get way more out of the Rift than I ever could flying on my monitor. By a long shot. And I tried it after having flown with the Rift for some time, and I just could not do it.

With my Rift, it feels like I am there versus just viewing it. And that far overshadows any image shortcomings for me.

Having said that though, I do look forward to seeing what the next generation of VR headsets bring us. And I will be one of the first in line to get one.

What monitor did you get Jason?

I'm loving the VR experience right now, its smooth on my 1080, thanks so much for implementing it. I'm so impressed at the lads work rate, this project just deserves to work. 

What monitor did you get Jason?

I'm loving the VR experience right now, its smooth on my 1080, thanks so much for implementing it. I'm so impressed at the lads work rate, this project just deserves to work. 

It's the Acer Predator XB1 32".

Jason

Ah, yes, meant: one thousand and eighty by one thousand and twenty picture elements.

I mean your 2k monitor is actually 1080p

:P