szelljr

szelljr skindeposit ® ™ ©

Ok, please some help, what Unit does Schwarz 4 belong too?, as I could not find any unit with those exact tri-colours under the Reich Defence Bands / Geschwader Identification Bands.:dash:

I've found this image on japo.eu

Spoiler

new200910_01.jpg

For some reason I couldn't actually visit the page on the website but the Google Images text says:

"Fw 190D-9, W.Nr. 400271 of III./JG 2 proves the importance of acquiring the “right” picture. Until recently, this particular aircraft was generally ... "

It might mean that the profile szelljr used is incorrect, and would look more like the third one from the top:

Spoiler

01.jpg

As you can see, this is what JG 2 used as a Reich Defense band.

Art-Jagdwaffe-Vol-5-Section-3-Defending-

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, FurphyForum said:

Ok, please some help, what Unit does Schwarz 4 belong too?, as I could not find any unit with those exact tri-colours under the Reich Defence Bands / Geschwader Identification Bands.:dash:

The pictures name is Focke Wulf Fw 190D9 (B4+I) 0A....then that is a letter   I  😊 . Pff i find an other pictures ,i used wrong colors ,RLM.:wacko:.

Here is :

Spoiler

3e10a0d15e898464ac798c7763fc3a0e.jpg

Edited by szelljr

Posted (edited)

The JG 6 Reich Defense band was white in the middle, though. This book doesn't seem specialized in the Dora itself, so there's a chance that the profile is incorrect, as it happens a lot even in specialized books.

defensebands.jpg]

The markings are very similar, but you can see that how the band is applied is slightly different. It's thinner on szelljr's reference. So this is probably not the same plane as the one I found.

Edited by Frenchy56

Hard to find god,clear resources,most of time you find low res.,scanned pictures,old drawings...:salute:.

Yes, but your skins are beautiful nonetheless. Hopefully next time we'll find a correct one.

• Thanks 1

All day this has niggled me! My conclusion also was that the band colour has been misinterpreted by the book illustrator. As the author states that it is III.JG 6 in the caption - however the profile has the wrong middle colour in the band for that JG. :wacko:

Thanks Frenchy and szelljr. :salute:

JG 6 didn't use Reich Defense bands on their D-9s, so any profiles showing them are inaccurate. 

On 3/29/2019 at 12:59 AM, Frenchy56 said:

It might mean that the profile szelljr used is incorrect

It absolutely is incorrect.

On 3/31/2019 at 6:56 AM, LukeFF said:

JG 6 didn't use Reich Defense bands on their D-9s, so any profiles showing them are inaccurate. 

It absolutely is incorrect.

What about Barkhorn's Dora? I found a very similar profile to this one in one of my reference books.

Spoiler

e1886eafd8a84ffdf4aa95b24139a1c6.jpg

Though this image adds more nuance to the problem.

Artwork-Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-JG6-(5-+-Ger

I've found more (photographic) evidence about there not being any fuselage bands than there is about there being so (It's always profiles or models of Barkhorn's machine). So you may be right.

Spoiler

D9Blue18JG6ErfurtNord.jpgb3b510ef41641bccea8616bdcdab7c02.png

These are both from JG 6. The one on the bottom is the Black 3. As you can see, no fuselage bands.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

What about Barkhorn's Dora? I found a very similar profile to this one in one of my reference books.

As you have seen, some earlier renditions of this particular plane show JG 6 D-9s with Reich Defense bands. The problem with that is that there are no known photos of the rear fuselage section of Barkhorn's plane. As much as I like Claes Sundin's artwork - that profile with the bands just isn't accurate. By the time JG 6 received their D-9s in 1945, they had been moved to the East, which effectively negated the need for Reich Defense bands. JG 52 was also allocated a Reich Defense band, but you'll not find a single photo of their planes adorned with said band, because they were flying in the East. Same for units like JG 51 and the parts of JG 54 that remained in the East until the war's end - no Reich Defense bands applied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Okay, that makes sense. I was checking because a mere declaration may have not been enough to be convincing. Thanks for the clarification!

Edited by Frenchy56

11 minutes ago, Frenchy56 said:

Okay, that makes sense. I was checking because a mere declaration may have not been enough to be convincing. Thanks for the clarification!

No problem! Another good example of that is III./JG 54: before they became IV./JG 26, none of their D-9s had Reich Defense bands, even though they were very much fighting in the West.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:59 AM, Frenchy56 said:

I've found this image on japo.eu

Spoiler

new200910_01.jpg

From the dark tone of the outer bands, it suggests to me that it is the blue-white-blue band of JG 300. It is too dark for yellow Y-W-Y (JG2) and too light for black B-W-B (JG4) and I also have never seen pictorical evidence of JG6 really using the R-W-R bands as suggested in the Barkhorn profile above. Indeed a recent publication includes some pics of his Dora and comes to the conclusion that his machine most likely looked like that:

bh.jpg

@Szelljr: That 2nd Dortenmann JG 54 skin is absolutely great!

Posted (edited)

Szia!

Here is the new tempplate with corrected spelling errors

Edited by Yankee_One
  • Like 1

OFF: Hi ,i have 1 Steam key for Tannenberg.

Spoiler

CFF85-AMP4A-T9TZ7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PatCartier said:

I used it. Thank you very much.

:salute:

• Upvote 1

I've uploaded many coloured pictures that I personally took from books about WW2 planes to be an inspiration for you skinners. They are uploaded on my google drive account. If you want access to them, PM me your email and I'll send all my contents. Every plane portraited has model/version, squadron, location, pilot etc informations

• Thanks 1

Excellent P-39 skin- thanks very much!! I would love to see more VVS Airacobras from you, if you are so inclined 

Hi,

I think there is a rectangle on the tail because we don't know the serial number. May be I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

Köszi,

nagyon szép munka!!

Thank you,

fantastic work!!