Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 152 - Discussion

Dear Pilots,

We continue to work on our VR implementation and it has posed some technical challenges and there will be some small limitations due to incompatibility between the VR API and our engine. It must be said that our engine was never designed to work natively with VR and the VR companies never designed their goggles and tech to work natively with a hardcore flight-sim with a custom graphics engine that includes gunner positions and bombsights. Remember that when it comes to WWII, only Sturmovik products actually have multi-crew aircraft with realistic gunner positions and bombsights - our competitors do not. So, this is new territory for VR in any hardcore sim. Overcoming some of these technical issues would require more time and custom work from us in addition to some new customization options from Valve and Oculus. How these smaller issues are resolved remains to be seen. Overall, we are pleased with what we have accomplished in VR so far, especially flying from the cockpit in fighters and attack aircraft.

However, we’d like to share with you what one of our beta testers has said to us about flying and fighting with VR. This person is a big VR advocate and is involved in VR applications in his defense related job. Due to his knowledge of various VR systems and experience we consider his comments to be high praise.

I have to hand it to your team, this is HANDS DOWN the BEST VR implementation when it comes to frame rate, FOV, Scale, and just straight up immersion.  I actually reached out to the bar on the canopy to help me turn around in my seat to track a FW190 after a head-on merge!!!  Un-freaking believable!  Please pass on my appreciation! 

And No motion sickness AT ALL, I have yet to have a clean feeling after a flight-sim VR experience.  Until now. thanks man!

We hope you will have the same opinion. But remember this is new territory and there is likely to be unforeseen issues upon release.

Promo Codes for P-40E, Mc.202, Fw-190 A3 and La-5

In other good news, we have sent 50% Off Promo Codes to anyone who own either BOS, BOM or BOK that can be used to buy yourself one of these Collector Planes or gift one or more to a friend. They are easy to redeem and use. See our official announcement in the forum for more details.  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28177-new-promo-codes-50-p-40e-mc202-fw-190-a3-and-la-5/#entry452062 

Development Shots

Here are some shots of our latest creations. As you can see more content is coming soon and we continue to follow our detailed development plan. The rest of 2017 is jam packed with new features and content so stay tuned and please continue to support our efforts.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials
You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here
You can ask new questions in this thread
  • Upvote 12

Excellent. Thankyou very much. :salute:

The Spit is another fighter that I shall be rubbish in :o: , but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

Cheers.

Very nice indeed.

Great work as always.

One question: Will that rear-view mirror work in in-cockpit view?

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 1

Jason, i am now considering and will be buying either oculus or vive when bos launches compatibility.

Would you consider a link or some ways where bos users' puchases of these equipment via bos give monetary benefits to your team?

I want to ensure sales of vr gears are connected to bos permeates to the vr companies.

• Upvote 3

Exellent news. I may pin-picking, but should there be overpainted RAF markings under soviet red stars on Spit?

Although I'm not a fan of flying spits, they sure do look good. 

:( no 50% for the Yak 

Edited by JG5_Zesphr

Exellent news. I may pin-picking, but should there be overpainted RAF markings under soviet red stars on Spit?

spitfire-5b-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great update,

that Spitfire looks simply jaw-droppingly beautiful!!!

Cheers

Do I see a 4K default skin on that Spit?

Nice work, guys!

No you do not. It's usual 2k.

Jason

Which headset was this reviewer/tester using?

He uses the Vive. But we have same result on both.

Jason

Very nice indeed.

Great work as always.

One question: Will that rear-view mirror work in in-cockpit view?

We don't have the rear view mirror built yet, but its in the plan for later this year.

Jason

• Upvote 2

We don't have the rear view mirror built yet, but its in the plan for later this year.

I also have a small question.

When the rear view mirror is built for the spit, maybe will there be for other planes like the P40 that had one too?

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Awesome news about the VR! I am so looking forward to getting back into this series with VR!

I will gladly share my experiences ( assuming I remember how to fly my Yak lol).

I don't fly multi seat aircraft anyway so no issue there for me.

Guess I better get busy resetting up on all controls.

I also am really looking forward to the Spit - my plane of choice!

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 2

Thank you Jason and dev team.

Great update.

Can't wait to read some in depth reviews of the VR in BO*.

I still have not decided if I purchase this generation or wait for the next.

Whatever it'll be..... good times ahead.......

Another great update! You're getting me conditioned like Pavlov's dog for Friday updates lol.

Can't wait for all this stuff that's in the pipeline and an eventual mods on mode.

Great work guys you've got my dollars.

The Spit...............how to say ??? 

outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks a lot for your nice job!!!! ;)  ;)

Edited by Pips

I wonder why the beta tester considered that the VR FoV was better in BoX than in other flight sims ? Surely it's no different to any other simulation in which the player is sitting down with exactly the same human restrictions and limitations. I suspect a high frame rate is crucial in maintaining a heightened sense of immersion, so very well done team, excellent work.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible
  • Upvote 1

I may pin-picking, but should there be overpainted RAF markings under soviet red stars on Spit?

This thread reckons the red stars were painted by British mechanics n Abadan, Iran. It has some cool photos.

I'm pretty sure those mechanics would have maintained British standards...

http://www.militaryimages.net/threads/russian-spitfires.2460/

just waiting, the devs will handle the VR Thing, :biggrin:  sure. besides i am already looking for OR or may be Pimax , jason mentioned that he also will buy one, pls share yr experience, when you already test it

thx from good old germany :salute:

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

Sweet!

The disadvantage of having a "dated" engine now becomes an advantage in VR - lots of fps!  :cool:

When when when?

While it was not stated explicitly, I read today's DD as it would be in the next update. Or I am just being really hopeful !

:) 

• Upvote 1

Awesome work Jason and the guys, keep it up. With good work comes good results so all the best and keep pushing forward.

Excellent quality in that spit.

Regards

Thanks for the update Jason.

Just how does one become a beta tester anyway?

That spit looks sweet, and while I'm sure it will be a wonderful addition to the Sim, right after I get to lift one I'm going to want to see how they look on fire. ;)

Just a quick question for the Devs, you guys said you wouldn't be updating old 2K textures to new 4k ones, but say for instance you have not made the textures for an aircraft yet would you make them in 4k?? It would seem silly to create new ones In 2k and then have the community to upgrade them.  :huh:

I will buy a VR set after I do the required upgrde & long overdue upgrade on my PC, but I may wait for the second generation.I do have a question ( that has been asked before , but not really answered that I know of..:) how do VR users deal with keystroke commands? We have quite a few to deal with in flight sims ( esp. with muti-engined aircraft.) Are any current goggles equipped with some sort of slot so one glance at one's keyboard ? How about the hand controllers would they apply to say lower flaps or drop a bomb?Could they be of any use in a fully operating cockpit ?Could one use them to start the aircaft or control throttles or mixer etc...? Questions like this are why I might hold back for a bit.Its an expensive addition-I'd like to get it right.

I will buy a VR set after I do the required upgrde & long overdue upgrade on my PC, but I may wait for the second generation.I do have a question ( that has been asked before , but not really answered that I know of.. :) how do VR users deal with keystroke commands? We have quite a few to deal with in flight sims ( esp. with muti-engined aircraft.) Are any current goggles equipped with some sort of slot so one glance at one's keyboard ? How about the hand controllers would they apply to say lower flaps or drop a bomb?Could they be of any use in a fully operating cockpit ?Could one use them to start the aircaft or control throttles or mixer etc...? Questions like this are why I might hold back for a bit.Its an expensive addition-I'd like to get it right.

When using the Rift, you have a small gap at the nose, which makes it possible to see your keyboard. It`s not very comfortable, but I can use all key-bindings

Can´t wait to shot down inferior british planes.

How dare you ;)

There are not many aircraft that can make a grown man cry with joy.

Thanks for the continued work Devs :salute:

Edited by 6./ZG26_Custard

Just a quick question for the Devs, you guys said you wouldn't be updating old 2K textures to new 4k ones, but say for instance you have not made the textures for an aircraft yet would you make them in 4k?? It would seem silly to create new ones In 2k and then have the community to upgrade them.  :huh:

Making 4K textures add time to our artists and our schedule is built with 2K textures in mind. Someday I'll have them upgraded, but not now. When we go to the Pacific we'll add more time to work with 4k textures in the schedule.

Jason

• Upvote 1

Excellent News, even if VR doesn't really interest me at all, at least for now...

But it's good to confirm the remarkable dedication of the 1C / 777 team, always striving to bring the best to their user community, which I would really like to see growing every day.

With time simmers, even from "civil" side will notice how unique this simulator is in terms of bringing a true sensation of "being there" like simply no other IMO.

Edited by jcomm

When using the Rift, you have a small gap at the nose, which makes it possible to see your keyboard. It`s not very comfortable, but I can use all key-bindings

Voiceattack is amazing. Recently got this.

I will buy a VR set after I do the required upgrde & long overdue upgrade on my PC, but I may wait for the second generation.I do have a question ( that has been asked before , but not really answered that I know of.. :) how do VR users deal with keystroke commands? We have quite a few to deal with in flight sims ( esp. with

I do my best to assign all commands I will need to my joystick and throttle buttons. I can pretty much fly with very rarely needing the keyboard. As someone else mentioned, in the Rift there is a small gap beneath the nose to allow you to peer at the keyboard. However it is a small section that you see and is rather cumbersome to reach out and touch the keys.

• Upvote 1

Voiceattack is amazing. Recently got this.

Voiceattack? Can voice activating commands work with adjustable controls like flaps  etc..? How about commands to other aircraft? It seems to me such a utility was available thru Track IR years ago & you assigned numbers o various keystroke...is this the same sort of thing?

Edited by Blitzen