Photo

IL-2 Sturmovik Wiki

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 26 January 2017 - 22:43

After hearing many echo the need for a Sturmovik wiki, I've gotten one created on Gamepedia. Introducing the...

IL-2 Sturmovik Wiki!

First of all, a big thanks to the folks at Gamepedia. They were a huge help, and after requesting the wiki, one of their designers actually went ahead and put together much of what you see there, including the background image and the basic aircraft pages. Really impressive, especially for a free service. For those not familiar with Gamepedia, it is the home to the very successful Minecraft wiki, the hub of the minecraft community.

While I'm technically the "Wiki Guardian," this wiki belongs to the community. It's up to all of you to make it awesome and fill it with all the great information we're constantly sharing and repeating around here. You can jump right in and start editing pages, creating new ones and adding whatever tutorials and other information you want. Please don't hesitate! If, after making some contributions, you would like to become a wiki guardian, please reach out to me here or on the wiki.

To get started, I recommend you:

1. Register on the wiki, preferably with your in-game name (click the button on the top right)
  2. Pick a plane or topic you like, and write the page for it (or create one if it doesn't exist! let me know if you create a new page and I'll add link to it on the main page)
  3. Continue to help me edit and improve this wiki so it becomes totally awesome!

A few notes...

• The wiki is intended for facts about the game. Aim to be impartial, and in the case of well founded opinions, qualify them as opinions. Please read this Gamepedia article for more information on the correct tone for wiki writing.
  • If you disagree with something you see in the wiki, consider starting a discussion about it on the wiki before changing it. Do not engage in editing wars, where two people continuously overwrite one another's content.
  • If you are unsure about your writing or English is not your first language, reach out to me after making your edits and I will be happy to proof read. We are a diverse community, and the wiki still needs your knowledge even if your grammar isn't perfect.
  • Overtly negative opinions and bashing the game will not be tolerated. Please don't make me ban you for writing "The 190 sucks" and the like. This wiki is about the game we have and is not a place to air your personal dissatisfaction or demand improvements (you can do that here in the forums).
  • Finally, bear with me. I'm no expert on Gamepedia, and we will all have to learn together in order to make this wiki great.

That's a lot of info... Please share your questions and concerns below! Thanks and I look forward to seeing your contributions!

Edit: By the way, the only page I've really fleshed out is the Bf 109 E-7 page, if you want to look there. The rest of the aircraft need your love!

Another Edit: If you have any trouble registering, you can email community@gamepedia.com or PM me and I can hit up my contact on your behalf. The registration form isn't fantastic about handling failures. Don't miss the little arithmetic CAPTCHA in the registration form!  :)

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr, 26 January 2017 - 23:30.

#2 JimTM

JimTM
  • Founder

Posted 26 January 2017 - 22:51

Fantastic curiousGamblerr! Thanks for setting this up.

#3 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 26 January 2017 - 22:52

A great initiative, I have run out of 'likes' for the day +10  :)

Cheers Dakpilot

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#4 =R4T=Sshadow14

=R4T=Sshadow14

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:23

Maybe its possible to add parts from the official game manual as it looks great (like control layouts and basics section)

x6dnyTg.jpgSOZfSP3.png

/CPU: FX8350 /GPU: GTX780SOC /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#5 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 27 January 2017 - 15:30

Maybe its possible to add parts from the official game manual as it looks great (like control layouts and basics section)

Give it a shot! This is your wiki!  :salute:

#6 =R4T=Sshadow14

=R4T=Sshadow14

Posted 27 January 2017 - 16:29

Also is admin(you) needed to add new section.   think with basic flight controls and so on maybe a "Tips & Tricks" section

Edited by =r4t=Sshadow14, 27 January 2017 - 16:29.

x6dnyTg.jpgSOZfSP3.png

/CPU: FX8350 /GPU: GTX780SOC /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#7 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 27 January 2017 - 17:10

Anyone can create a page, but it's definitely not very intuitive I've just realized...

Here is some info on the various ways to do so: http://help.gamepedi...ting_a_new_page

You basically have to search for a page that doesn't exist, and then it will give you the option to create it. So, for example, type "Tips & Tricks" into the search bar and it will give you the option to create when it doesn't find an existing page. You'll notice there is a "Controls" page linked under "BASIC TRAINING" already, if you want to try your hand at contributing to that page.

If you create a new page, I will notice it when I check the recent changes, and I will add a link to the main page. Or you can PM me about your new page.

Good luck!

#8 JimTM

JimTM
  • Founder

Posted 27 January 2017 - 21:26

Have you had any problems creating external links? I tried to create this link (using the editor's link dialog) in the page source for "Mission Editor":

[https://forum.il2stu...mission-editor/ IL-2 Sturmovik Forum, Mission Making and Mission Editor]

and I got this error message:

This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your action was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: Global AF - disallow certain words

Edited by JimTM, 27 January 2017 - 21:33.

#9 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 27 January 2017 - 21:29

I hadn't tried yet, I'll take a look...

Edit: In the meantime, I added the link myself... I'll continue researching the root cause. Sorry about that Jim!

Edit2: I messed around with a test user I created and see the same problem. It seems to be related to the "http://" in the link, but without that the link won't work. I've asked a question about it in the Gamepedia admins slack channel. Hope to have an answer soon.

Edit3 Possible Solution:

Jim, I'm told that this issue sometimes appears when you're a new user and have made less than 3 "normal" edits. I guess it's a spam filter thing so bots can't create users and post links easily.

At this point, I see you've made 5 or so, and looking at your history I bet it was your very first edit when you tried to add the link, right? So give it a shot now, and maybe it will work. Since I already added your link, maybe try linking to Prangster's guide on a new bullet? 

I tested this theory with my non-admin test user and it fixed the problem. Let me know how it works out!

The thread for Prangster's guide: https://forum.il2stu...building-guide/

Edited by 19.GIAP//curiousGamblerr, 27 January 2017 - 22:05.

#10 JimTM

JimTM
  • Founder

Posted 27 January 2017 - 21:57

I hadn't tried yet, I'll take a look...

Edit: In the meantime, I added the link myself... I'll continue researching the root cause. Sorry about that Jim!

No worries curious, thanks! Maybe external links are limited to admins and there is a checkbox somewhere to enable those links. I suppose it makes sense since some external links could be to malware. Are edits open to registered users only?

#11 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 27 January 2017 - 22:08

Edits are open to anyone, even without registering, but if you don't register it tracks your IP and displays that in the user log. 

I was able to get it working with a non-admin user with the solution above (doing 3 "regular" edits first). You should meet this threshold now, so give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!

#12 JimTM

JimTM
  • Founder

Posted 27 January 2017 - 22:18

Edits are open to anyone, even without registering, but if you don't register it tracks your IP and displays that in the user log. 

I was able to get it working with a non-admin user with the solution above (doing 3 "regular" edits first). You should meet this threshold now, so give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Works nicely now. Thanks!

#13 Wuerger

Wuerger

Posted 20 March 2017 - 18:35

This is great, very nice!

We all urgently need an explanation what the different view settings in the game settings stand for.

And we urgently need an advice what game files are to be saved and restored when the game is reinstalled after changing the pc.

#14 19//curiousGamblerr

19//curiousGamblerr

Posted 20 March 2017 - 18:54

This is great, very nice!

We all urgently need an explanation what the different view settings in the game settings stand for.

And we urgently need an advice what game files are to be saved and restored when the game is reinstalled after changing the pc.

One the first, do some experimenting and make a page on the wiki! On the second, the info is around on the forums, find it and make a page on the wiki!

Remember, it takes a village to raise a wiki  ;)

#15 BFBunny

BFBunny
  • Founder

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:07

It's a very good start though. I should be sleeping, but it's cool to have all the various bits of information in one place. Good stuff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users