• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:35

Ju 87 D-3 4096x4096 Texture Template

screen1.jpg

This is the public release version of my Ju 87 D-3 4k skin template. Everything has been rebuild from ground up, tweaked and refined to match the higher quality stabdards of 4096x4096 resolution.

It is availabel in 2 versions:

Gimp: Download                        Photoshop: Download

Additionally you'll need to download the high detail Normalmap to enjoy full 4k quality (also backward compatible with default 2k skins!).

Normalmap: Download

Installation path: IL-2 Sturmovik\data\graphics\Planes\Ju87D3\Textures

It is recommendable to backup the original file before replacing!

Update 28.04.: - Improved template (improved / added weathering effects, more details added, more marking variations)

- added high detail normal map

I want to add special thx to the following members/parties for supporting the project:

1C / 777 Studios for creating the base template and implementing ingame support

Jason Williams

Jagdgeschwader 4 for their excellent collection of photographs of Ju 87 G-2 WNr. 494083

ZG26 for internal tetsing

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka, 28 April 2017 - 14:59.

YdcExnd.jpg Ju 87 D-3 4K Skin Template
Beta Tester Ju-52 Early Supporter Ju 52/3m g4 4K Skin Template

#2 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 13:21

[OUTDATED] Better shot on the rivets. Fuselage is almost done now.

Spoiler

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka, 28 April 2017 - 15:03.

#3 BorysVorobyov

BorysVorobyov

Posted 20 December 2016 - 14:00

That is already looking amazing! Could you maybe give some advice how to get started on this? I would like to make my MiG skins in 4k but have no idea how to get started. Do I just resize the current template to 4k size and go back through everything remaking into high resolution?

Also, great job with those panel lines! That was one of the big things bugging me with the current textures. I hope the lines in the bump maps could be made more narrow as well. The panel lines in the nose of the MiG-3 are like canyons!

Edited by BorysVorobyov, 20 December 2016 - 14:03.

#4 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 14:30

Well I don't think there's any "how to" guide for rescaling textures. What I did was taking the layers of the official template, copy / pasting them into my 4k resolution template and rescaling them (with Lanczos method for gimp users). Then I started redrawing the paintscheme and details like stencils and markings to appear sharp and crisp and carefully matching them with the ofiicial template (position, size). This is also important to make it match the bump map, which currently can not be modified.

It's good to start off with the camouflage, lines and markings first. Lines and rivets aren't very difficult but placing hundrets of rivets and lines is painstaking and takes a lot of time.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka, 20 December 2016 - 14:32.

#5 BOO

BOO

Posted 20 December 2016 - 14:56

my 2 cents and to add to 5kuka's experience;

The lanzos scale up works well it seems. The biggest challenge for 4K so far for me has been deciding how to do the panel lines in terms of how many pixels thick and what shade each of those lines should be to give it depth. ~ In the end ive decided to wait and see hoe 5tuka did his! :-)))

Circular items on the lines may also now justify the use of paths and even inkscape but, here again, there are some things that can still improve the realistic look overall by fooling the eye that can be done just in a raster program. like gimp. 

The Aircraft parts layer benefits from a touch of unsharp mask when scaled up but a very skillful operator could totally redo these i guess.

Layers like grime and wear may be less of a problem in many cases because a) they are subtle b) the scaling is less likely to be an issue because of their undefined nature. Some layers on the official templates (the 109F and Gs for instance) do not match the 3D model from the off, leaving obvious dark/light lines in the middle of panels. Might be more of an issue if there are not fixed for 4K.

Some public templates have better chips than others - The JU87D3 is really nicely done in my view, The E7 looks cartoonish but this could be me not mixing the weathering correctly. - how they scale up is not clear but the good ones are a good place to start as a tracing outline. (i think the 110E is good too). - obviously youll need to hack and paste but you can fit them to any template.

OH - and a cheat - how accurate a cheat i dont know - if you are struggling to find a stencil have a look at the War Thunder 4K Templates. :-) They are at least a good starting point even if vectoring and research is a better solution. 

Regards

BOO

#6 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 20 December 2016 - 15:25

For stencils I did this:

1. Find a picture of the emblem (I preferrably use pictures of decal sheets for plastic models) and (if not already) scale it up way above the final size for your skin (at least factor 1.5). Doesn't matte if it gets blurry since it's only the proportions that matter for the most part.

2. Refraw the emblem/stencil as close as possible.

3.a. Once finished you can copy/paste the big emplem, scale it down to the size you want for your skin (by eyeballing) and place it to match the original emblem properly.

3.b. Alternatively you can save the big emblem as a paint brush and use the brush tool to resize and place it. Depending on the emblem this may give you better results (more crisp/readable) and you can reuse it any time. I've used both so far and deciced on the better result.

For instructions and caution writings on the aircraft I simply created a text layer above the existing one and scaled the letters to perfectly match the one below (obviously this is easier for german aircraft due to standardised fonts).

Example for one marking: Left is the size I recreated it in, right the downscaled one as in the final skinusing the brush method.

elt5SlI.jpg

#7 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 20 December 2016 - 19:22

Guys,

Hey take your time and make a nice template in 4K and lets share it with everyone. I will gladly pay $100 USD for every professional looking 4K template as a small appreciation for your time and effort. And by professional I mean details and weathering that are consistent with what we've already produced in our own templates.

Cool?

Jason

#8 BorysVorobyov

BorysVorobyov

Posted 20 December 2016 - 20:58

5tuka, if you wouldn't mind, could I get a copy of your Ju-87 4k template? I just want to see how are you doing some things so I can apply on the MiG-3.

#9 =VOE=PangolinWranglin

=VOE=PangolinWranglin

Posted 20 December 2016 - 23:27

That first picture... so smooth... oh so smooth...

Steam: Pangolin Wranglin'

For courage displayed in battles with various opponents in the 3300s or 1900s, for determination and discipline and excellent organization, for the heroism of its personnel, the Dragonflies Fighter Aviation Regiment is re-designated to the Varati Old Earth Flight Squadron.       ~Give us regular purchase COPPER badges!~

#10 6./ZG26_McKvack

6./ZG26_McKvack
  • Founder

Posted 20 December 2016 - 23:50

Holy sh*t

I'm glad you are in our squad Stuka! Our official skin guy  :biggrin:

Edited by 6./ZG26_McKvack, 20 December 2016 - 23:50.

#11 [SKINR]_SPEKTRE76

[SKINR]_SPEKTRE76
  • Founder

Posted 21 December 2016 - 00:17

Guys,

Hey take your time and make a nice template in 4K and lets share it with everyone. I will gladly pay $100 USD for every professional looking 4K template as a small appreciation for your time and effort. And by professional I mean details and weathering that are consistent with what we've already produced in our own templates.

Cool?

Jason

Very Cool!

#12 TG-55Panthercules

TG-55Panthercules
  • Founder

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:45

Interesting looking work, and obviously Jason thinks there's value to doing this given his willingness to pay good money for these things, but I'm curious about a few things here:

1.  What's the key benefit(s) of making templates in 4K - is it something that you need to be running a 4K monitor/graphics settings to see any difference/benefit or would there be some improvement noticeable by people still running 1080p monitors/settings?

2.  Can the game actually use 4K templates/skins, and if so are there any performance issues (e.g, is there a FPS hit, does it affect the skin switch lag issue, etc.)?

3.  Is this something that will actually have any impact on how the skins look during normal gameplay at the typical engagement/formation flying viewing distances, or is it something that will only be noticeable in screenshots/videos with external view close-ups?

4.  Once you have a 4K template to start with, do you still "paint" skins using those templates the same way in PhotoShop or whatever that you do with the current templates, or does the fact that they're 4K mean that you need to do something different/special as you create the skins using the 4K templates?

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz (Corsair H75 liquid cooler); 16GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz)
EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2, 11 GB; ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code MB; Realtek ROG SupremeFX audio
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Oculus Rift (CV1); Logitech Force 3D Pro; Saitek Rudder Pedals and Throttle Quadrants

#13 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:35

@ Jason great to hear this and thx for the support!

Interesting looking work, and obviously Jason thinks there's value to doing this given his willingness to pay good money for these things, but I'm curious about a few things here:

1.  What's the key benefit(s) of making templates in 4K - is it something that you need to be running a 4K monitor/graphics settings to see any difference/benefit or would there be some improvement noticeable by people still running 1080p monitors/settings?

2.  Can the game actually use 4K templates/skins, and if so are there any performance issues (e.g, is there a FPS hit, does it affect the skin switch lag issue, etc.)?

3.  Is this something that will actually have any impact on how the skins look during normal gameplay at the typical engagement/formation flying viewing distances, or is it something that will only be noticeable in screenshots/videos with external view close-ups?

4.  Once you have a 4K template to start with, do you still "paint" skins using those templates the same way in PhotoShop or whatever that you do with the current templates, or does the fact that they're 4K mean that you need to do something different/special as you create the skins using the 4K templates?

1. 4K template allows you to have finer details. You'll see great improvement in things like emblems and captions and when fully zoomed in on the skin it will look less fuzzy due to higher pixel density. Take the rivets I made as example. Previously those were measured 3x3 = 9 pixels and were moer or less just white blobs. with twice the resolution rivets now are 6x6 = 36 pixels. This ammount of pixels allows you to actually make them look volumetric which is what I tried to acchieve.

2. Since the last update the game is fully supporting 4k skins. In my case it didn't affect performence in any way (havent tested it in crouded MP yet).

3. It will surely have visible differences if viewed from range. One example is panel lines. With 4k they can be made thinner and less visible at range which is more realistic. Of course the main benefit will only appear on closeup and fully zoomed in view.

4. Working with a 4k template is the same as 2k, it's just bigger. Things require different scaling and because you're using a higher resolution it will eat your ram if you're creating many layers (my 16GB ram start to struggle with bigger 4k templates).

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka, 21 December 2016 - 09:37.

#14 Picchio

Picchio
  • Founder

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:58

This is where I will share my progress and (hopefully) the finished template. Pls note that converting a skin to 4k isn't easy since it requires all details to be reworked, touched up or completely remade. It's not a matter of copy pasting exitsing assets and the finished template will be 80% remade from scratch by me. That's a tremendous task and reason why I'm also seeking help for making details like weathering and paint scratches (which I'm terrible at). Pls PM me if you want to contribute to the project.

Anyway, here's what I managed to do so far:

- reworked paintscheme (with original 777 colours taken from Ju52 template)

- remade airforce insignias

- remade / added stencils and writings (not complete yet)

- smaller panel lines

- custom rivets

EgFRNzX.jpg

YJRIsmB.jpg

lFtHY4G.jpg

Note: I've only made 1 line of rivets in this image for testing purpose. Was easier than remaking 200+ rivets and finding out they look all wrong.

[Edited] That's what BoS' models deserve.

Btw, how does the bump map hold up with a 4K skin?

Jason, when are we going to have access to a proper Mods On mode? I really want to work on my beloved Macchi's cockpit... :blush:

Edited by SYN_Haashashin, 21 December 2016 - 21:00.

"Quand un seul chien se met à aboyer à une ombre, dix mille chiens en font une réalité."

#15 Brano

Brano
  • Founder

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:44

The main benefit is your own plane.99% of time (when you dont scan the sky) you spend staring at your cockpit,wings,engine hood etc. Looking forward to what you can do with 4k guys ;)

#16 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 21 December 2016 - 20:35

Holy fuck, man. That's what BoS' models deserve.

Btw, how does the bump map hold up with a 4K skin?

It works for most of the aircraft, but some parts cause issues (for example the grip pads looks very ackward because it's way more detailed than the bumpmap).

[OUTDATED]

Also I want to thank everybody for the kind words. Therefore I'll be showing a bonus screen (with some temporary weathering only for testing):

Spoiler

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka, 28 April 2017 - 15:04.

#17 BorysVorobyov

BorysVorobyov

Posted 21 December 2016 - 20:43

It looks amazing! Thank you for your help also :)

I wonder what is going on with the propeller disc. Is that just in your picture or a new game bug?

#18 A-E-Hartmann

A-E-Hartmann
  • Tester

Posted 21 December 2016 - 21:04

It works for most of the aircraft, but some parts cause issues (for example the grip pads looks very ackward because it's way more detailed than the bumpmap).

Also I want to thank everybody for the kind words. Therefore I'll be showing a bonus screen (with some temporary weathering only for testing):

VAJdCTS.jpg

Excellent works . :salute:

462891Mabanniereil2.png

#19 [SKINR]_SPEKTRE76

[SKINR]_SPEKTRE76
  • Founder

Posted 22 December 2016 - 16:08

BTW Jason are we going to get access to the Normal maps? This way we can make adjustments to that as well because it will still be at the 2048 size. Also we may need to move some panel lines around too and position rivets. I fixed War Thunders F4U-1d Corsair and they're 109G-10.

#20 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:49

[OUTDATED]

It's christmas day so I'll take a day off but I'll try to get it finished this or early next year. Now that the most painstaking part is completed (rivets....all those rivets!) I can get on with more important details and weathering.

As for today I hope one screenshot will be enought of a present to you. Merry christmas :salute:

Spoiler

#21 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 27 December 2016 - 16:30

[OUTDATED]

Began working on some paint chipping. Because this is not my aerea of expertise I went by the original paint chipping and remade it as good as I can. I'm not sure about the result which is why I need feedback on it.

In the meantime I'll work on other stuff first since this requires a lot of work.

Spoiler

#22 BorysVorobyov

BorysVorobyov

Posted 27 December 2016 - 16:54

Looks very well done to me. A lot of small chips from use but not overdone like the original. I hope mine will look this nice.

#23 ShamrockOneFive

ShamrockOneFive
  • Founder

Posted 27 December 2016 - 17:27

Spectacular work!

#24 Yakdriver

Yakdriver
  • Founder

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:03

i find it weird that the paint chipping is only happening along the horizontal line of the fuselage, and nowhere else on the panels --> on the aft part.
I like the leading edge , engine and Footrest/ handrest Chipping. Maybe a little too uniform  grey metal? maybe only chip away the top color paint in some areas to expose a primer?
(But wtf do i know!)

On the exhausts of the Jumo - there is a bright spot that stands out to the eye, repeating itself every time.If you could get rid of it... ? Quite an eye catcher.

I don´t have much love for the Stuka... but this one is going places! Lovely! More screenshots! Thumbs up!

sig.png

#25 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:51

Thx for the feedback so far!

Looks very well done to me. A lot of small chips from use but not overdone like the original. I hope mine will look this nice.

Weird because I strictly followed the official one (which to me is also too much for my personal liking) but good to hear none the less.

Spectacular work!

Thx! Still a lot of work ahead....

i find it weird that the paint chipping is only happening along the horizontal line of the fuselage, and nowhere else on the panels --> on the aft part.
I like the leading edge , engine and Footrest/ handrest Chipping. Maybe a little too uniform  grey metal? maybe only chip away the top color paint in some areas to expose a primer?
(But wtf do i know!)

On the exhausts of the Jumo - there is a bright spot that stands out to the eye, repeating itself every time.If you could get rid of it... ? Quite an eye catcher.

The metal texture is detailed but has too low contrast to be visible enought - sth I can change easily.

As I said I'm not familiar with chipping/weathering technics and have no refferences to work with but the game model which is what I went by. I'm sure I will have to go back and adjust some areas myself or completely go over it again.

Good idea on the primer, although I'm not sure how thick it would be and how common such "light" paint chipping would be. Will experiment with that.

The bright spot you mention probably is the Junkers logo engravement on the exhasut stacks. Since it's not part of the aircraft tetxure I can do little to change it.

I don´t have much love for the Stuka... but this one is going places! Lovely! More screenshots! Thumbs up!

Well I for one do! :) And I hope to see some more awesome Ju-87 skins being made in future with the help of my work!

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka, 28 December 2016 - 09:13.

#26 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:46

[OUTDATED]

Good to see you on board Boomerang. We really need to get as many people on board as we can to stem the tremendous work to transform as many aircraft as possible to 4k :salute:

Update on the paint chipping. Thx to your feedback I figured the chipping wasn't quite good enought and decided to redo it from scratch (this time with different techniqus). My pla is to split chipping into heavy (big parts) and light (small parts / scratches) so they can be adjusted individually in the final template. The screenshots below show the current WIP heavy chipping.

Spoiler

Once I'm done with chipping the temllate will be a lot closer to completion (only minor weathering/bugfixing left to do).

#27 6./ZG26_Custard

6./ZG26_Custard
  • Tester

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:13

wie durch ein Wunder!

The British were sporting. They would accept a fight under almost all conditions ~ Günther Rall, Luftwaffe, 275 victories.
ZG26 Forum   ZG26 YouTube Channel

#28 DD_Arthur

DD_Arthur
  • Founder

Posted 29 December 2016 - 13:20

Great work 5tuka! :salute:

#29 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:22

[OUTDATED]

Finished on the chipping and scratches today and am quite happy with the results. Most of the smaller scratches are difficult to see form a distance but add nice detail in closeup shots or when looking outside the cockpit.

I'm still open for criticism and soon entering bug fixing phase. And of course here's a couple of screen for you (keep in mind I turned weathering up to max in the following screenshots for testing purpose):

Spoiler

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka, 28 April 2017 - 15:05.

#30 -IRRE-Storfyr

-IRRE-Storfyr
  • Founder

Posted 31 December 2016 - 13:34

Looks really really cool :)

#31 216th_Jordan

216th_Jordan
  • Founder

Posted 31 December 2016 - 14:49

OMG, this looks so good. :o: I am very amazed, keep it up! :)

Visit the 216th SAD: http://216th.proboards.com/
Hardware & Specs

Spoiler

#32 [CSAF]pauli

[CSAF]pauli

Posted 31 December 2016 - 15:22

Looks amazing. What's the ETA on this sweetie?

#33 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 31 December 2016 - 17:54

Looks amazing. What's the ETA on this sweetie?

Wish I could tell for sure but my big aim is towards the end of next week. Mainly because I have to begin exam preperations after that and won't have time to continue work for at least a month.

Also thx for the comments, it really shows me that all the labour is paying off!

#34 1/SG2_Hummels

1/SG2_Hummels
  • Founder

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:04

excellent work, but balken kreuz looks very bright.

#35 6./ZG26_5tuka

6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Tester

Posted 01 January 2017 - 13:53

excellent work, but balken kreuz looks very bright.

Thx, the markings can be altered in the template as pleased so making them more dull is no issue. Just didn't bother too much about it for now since I had a lot of other things to work on first.

#36 1/SG2_Hummels

1/SG2_Hummels
  • Founder

Posted 01 January 2017 - 15:49

interestingly, this monitor resolution is it possible to read all the inscriptions on the fuselage. sorry for my English

#37 javelina

javelina
  • Founder

Posted 01 January 2017 - 16:06

Incredible work!  (gotta save my coin for that new 4K TV...)   :-)

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX1080SC, Sound Blaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, (2x) 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer (for Helios and Ikarus), TrackIR5, Oculus Rift CV1, Jetseat 908

30243007225_fa7e8b6ba7_o.png2qdzwni.jpg

#38 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 01 January 2017 - 19:21

Incredible work!  (gotta save my coin for that new 4K TV...)   :-)

you dont need a 4k monitor to use 4k skins..

These are 4k textures (4096x4096 pix)
Which is different to game resolutions of 3840 x 2160 (4K)

even a 1080P monitor will see a difference between 2K and 4K texture
and like some in game now still 1024x1024 pix (1K)

2qimweq.jpg791JFcf.jpg                  
/CPU: FX8350@ 4.3ghz /GPU: GTX 1060 G1 Gaming /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz
 /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

#39 javelina

javelina
  • Founder

Posted 01 January 2017 - 19:26

you dont need a 4k monitor to use 4k skins..

These are 4k textures (4096x4096 pix)
Which is different to game resolutions of 3840 x 2160 (4K)

even a 1080P monitor will see a difference between 2K and 4K texture
and like some in game now still 1024x1024 pix (1K)

Gracias!

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX1080SC, Sound Blaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, (2x) 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer (for Helios and Ikarus), TrackIR5, Oculus Rift CV1, Jetseat 908

30243007225_fa7e8b6ba7_o.png2qdzwni.jpg

#40 =TBAS=Sshadow14

=TBAS=Sshadow14

Posted 01 January 2017 - 19:47

May i please also point out to the OP of this thread and others regarding 4K textures..

Will this entry in the config not effect your skins??

Default:
[KEY = graphics]
    detail_rt_res = 1024 
(I personally Set this to 2048 and 4096 testing and hoping its generally going to help with texures and so on)

I think the ground tiles look much nicer from high Altitude with this and High Alt clouds you can't reach no longer blocky when i zoom in.

2qimweq.jpg791JFcf.jpg                  
/CPU: FX8350@ 4.3ghz /GPU: GTX 1060 G1 Gaming /RAM: 16GB@1875mhz
 /JOYSTICK: Saitek X-55 Hotas /PEDALS: Logitech Driving Force EX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users