Han

Developer Diary, Part 116 - Discussion

It's just like every air combat game ever made. You fly around trying to shoot things down or blow things up.

Cannot agree more :) players are the same in every game : pew pew and have a frag in a messy sandbox.

My comments were not aimed at BOS.... But at some comments like : "go back to WT" or :" please do not make this, it will bring the game to WT" or : "..... Childish WT players.... "

Open multi-player games in BOSare already like war thunder : frag hungry players reckless, insanely stupid behaviour ( on taxi and runaway mainly) , pop up light nav light when in trouble, insults bad manners, all of this on medium maps with objectives marked on map and GPS (hopefully not anymore on recent servers)

Some player here point out all day long how this community is the elite of flight Sim gaming, and WT is such a Childish game.... Well just wanted to point out that it is not the case, player and how they behave is just the same, for the best and the worst.

Il2 BOS is a far better game, but community, and how open multi-player is played is just the same.

And yes I am talking of expert server... Do not know for normal, never tried.

• Upvote 3

Any chance, that the "Radar OFF" makes it to the next patch ? 

PS:

In MP, it is a much more real flight simulator experience now, since there are human driven tanks on the battle field. The motivation to fly objective oriented did get up.

I bomb the hell out of player controlled tanks!

It's good to see the "Human Tank Drivers" have added a new level of combat experience for pilot's.  With more consistent aerial support, (for the Tanks), well, that would be something amazing!  :)

Cannot agree more :) players are the same in every game : pew pew and have a frag in a messy sandbox.

My comments were not aimed at BOS.... But at some comments like : "go back to WT" or :" please do not make this, it will bring the game to WT" or : "..... Childish WT players.... "

Open multi-player games in BOSare already like war thunder : frag hungry players reckless, insanely stupid behaviour ( on taxi and runaway mainly) , pop up light nav light when in trouble, insults bad manners, all of this on medium maps with objectives marked on map and GPS (hopefully not anymore on recent servers)

Some player here point out all day long how this community is the elite of flight Sim gaming, and WT is such a Childish game.... Well just wanted to point out that it is not the case, player and how they behave is just the same, for the best and the worst.

Il2 BOS is a far better game, but community, and how open multi-player is played is just the same.

And yes I am talking of expert server... Do not know for normal, never tried.

Hi

I agree whit you to 100%.

But let me add one thing.

Il2 BoS it's not far better way,but the only one whit a "inspiration" about SIM in WW II era.

There is even DCS and IL 2 CoD of course,but the frist time they have not a scenario and contents about WW II,and the second one could be awesome but....we know the history about that title,and I am grateful to the efforts of some enthusiasts who still update it,but we cant ask more for free work.

So the choice is, at least currently, it's IL2 BoS.

Hobson's choice !

Regards

Edited by Ltn_F_Baracca

Awesome news! :)

I can wait for the MiG till early next year as I won't be at home... :biggrin:

Perhaps asked & answered but will any of the new vehicles be drivable.I was a doubter about the recently released drivable tanks , but I have to say charging across the steppes in a PzIII or t-34 s great fun esp with the several 3rd party missions & I do hope for more of the same.

2015_12_12__2_14_55%20copy_zpssoxa5nkl.j

2015_12_12__2_14_44%20copy_zpsjdle7dfh.j

2015_12_12__16_16_29%20copy_zpsbrgkzgu5.

2015_12_12__1_35_14%20copy_zpscnf2zctn.j

With air support even more fun:

2015_12_12__16_28_28%20copy_zps7a8x21mi.

Of course it would be nice to see the long-barreled Pz IV  7 KV-! that we already have as AI operable in BoS as well

Edited by Blitzen

Perhaps asked & answered but will any of the new vehicles be drivable.

Your answer is in Han's post. 

The initial comment was on the multi-player games, and how they are played :) and it is just like war thunder :) ....

It is something like two posts above.... Sarcasm is good.... Reading is good also and sometime interesting :)

That depends on where you play multiplayer.  If you are talking about Normal servers where everyone runs around like a flock of seagulls going "MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE" then you'll get no argument from me.  That is what WT is all about.  However if you are flying full real on Wings of Liberty or Fighting Legends, then no, MP is NOTHING like WT.

• Upvote 1

I bomb the hell out of player controlled tanks!

With 1000KG bomb and the Stuka together the bomb? This is very common against T-34 in DED server's.  :)  

They should change the Siren sound for "Banzaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii".  :lol:

• Upvote 1

Hi Blitzen,

I think what Luke meant was something along the lines of: The original post from Han refers to them as AI controlled so they won't be player controlled (at least in this update).

Personally I'd expect more vehicles to be made player controlled over time, considering the apparent success of them. Devs do read the forum so I'm sure they'll have an idea of what people want, then it is just a matter of time, resources, cost, income etc.

"Darn! I guess ...I'll...just...have to ....wait!"

hqdefault_zpsjbqojqs4.jpg

Had a blast on the Expert Tank server recently. A polite community member and good sport, disabled the right track, with a great shot from his Panzer, while I was driving the T-34 at the time. I became a sitting duck for the German side, as a FW-190 circled above, then aligned himself for an attack. Being hit a second time, I realized that my goose was cooked, so I waited patiently for that time to pass. Well time did pass, and as I looked at the heavens above, there appeared two Russian fighter silhouettes in the distance, one of which engaged with the 190. Seeing that combat from the ground was amazing. It was like, hell yeah, the Aerial support is finally here. Very immersive :salute:

Great screenshots Blitzen :salute:

• Upvote 1

Yep,including tanks into game was for me the best thing that happened since first early access.It puts the whole experience to higher level.Cant wait for more goodies in 2016  :)

I can't agree that putting tanks into the game is the best thing that has happened... It's a flight sim. What about the aircraft we are seeing?

• Upvote 1

Best thing for ME.Your experience and expectation may differ ;)

I can't agree that putting tanks into the game is the best thing that has happened... It's a flight sim. What about the aircraft we are seeing?

Uhm, I think the same. The game's framework has space for improvement in many aspects. That, to me, is more important than content itself.

(But I'm so hoping for a MiG-3 on Friday... :blush:)

Anyone else got their fingers crossed for today?  :cool:  Been over 2 weeks of beta testing the Mig now got to be soooon!  :biggrin:

Anyone else got their fingers crossed for today?  :cool:  Been over 2 weeks of beta testing the Mig now got to be soooon!  :biggrin:

Are there yet any comparisons regarding its performance to various other BOS planes at diffrent heights?

Would be greatly apprechiated to hear a little about it.

Are there yet any comparisons regarding its performance to various other BOS planes at diffrent heights?

Would be greatly apprechiated to hear a little about it.

Actually Han said in this very DD that at high altitude it can just barely catch a Bf 109 F4 on combat power by pressing the AM-35 to the limit. On continuous power it's 10 - 15km/h slower.

This would spell trouble for the F2, but of course only up high.

Anyone else got their fingers crossed for today? :cool: Been over 2 weeks of beta testing the Mig now got to be soooon! :biggrin:

BlackSix said "end of the month", which I optimistically hope means "right before Christmas".

But then again, the developers are Russian and IIRC the Eastern Orthodox Church had its big Christmas celebration on Epiphany (January 6th) and not on December 25th, so maybe it will be right before new years?

I was going for how long beta tests normally take. In general from my memory it takes anywhere from a week / 3 weeks depending on how big the update is. Obviously beta testing the summer maps took aaaaagggggeeeees but it seems this patch will only be tank ai and the new aircraft! So I would assume it to be a speedy testing! I would have a problem if they are waiting to finish the tank part of the update before releasing the aircraft. Otherwise keep testing on!  :)  :salute:

This would spell trouble for the F2, but of course only up high.

Thanks! This would only mean trouble if it cant be outturned, dived, climbed as well.

Turn radius and overall handlincharacteristics like rollrate, stability, vicious stalls, climbrate etc. would be interesting to have some experience reports about.

Edited by VSG1_Winger

I've been focusing on Jabo almost exclusively since the update. You really get a sense of desperation trying to hit player manned tanks charging across the fields. The normal maps are pretty small so the spawn points are really close. It is a constant shuttle to bomb, land and rearm as fast as you can while the tanks press for the airfield. So much so that I hardly engage enemy aircraft at all on about half of the maps. Exciting stuff and a complete change of focus for me.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! This would only mean trouble if it cant be outturned, dived, climbed as well.

Turn radius and overall handlincharacteristics like rollrate, stability, vicious stalls, climbrate etc. would be interesting to have some experience reports about.

Don't count on the beta testers to reveal much, but we can give it some (more) speculation.

If the modelling is spot on, I'd expect the following of those parameters you mention:

Sustained turn: Poor by BoM standards, propably comparable to the Fw 190.

Initial turn rate: similar to LaGG-3, propably better at higher speeds.

Handling: propably similar to the LaGG-3 with a more vicious stall. Best handling in the 400 - 550 km/h range, worse above and below that, overall agility good.

Roll rate: Very good, second only to the I-16 in BoM.

Stability. Not the most stable aircraft, but with slats and the reduced fuel tank, propably no worse than the LaGG-3, except for one thing: Torque and prop wash effects will be very pronounced. Propably not the most stable gun platform either.

Climb rate: This is the kicker, and I can honestly say, I don't know what to expect. Anything from 12 m/s (worse than LaGG-3) to 17 m/s (better than the Yak-1) would seem plausible. In any case, the 109s in BoS and BoM should outclimb it, especially at low altitude.

Dive characteristics: Very good acceleration (aerodynamically clean design combined with a heavy weight for such a small airframe) Max dive speed inferior to Bf 109s, should shake violently above 650 km/h and start to come apart at 700-725.

Edited by Finkeren

Thanks for your speculation.

Guess we cant do anything but wait and see. I am really eager to see if its a plane that might make flying for the red side a little interesting for me.

Hope it comes soon!

It's day 11 of beta testing actually.

This would spell trouble for the F-2, but of course only up high.

Yes, above 6000 meters, the Mig-3 should be faster. But below that, the F-2 should dominate it in basically everything. It should be more or less comparable to a F-4 vs. La-5 situation at low-medium altitude.

Yes, above 6000 meters, the Mig-3 should be faster. But below that, the F-2 should dominate it in basically everything. It should be more or less comparable to a F-4 vs. La-5 situation at low-medium altitude.

Not sure, I'd go as high as 6000m for the tables to turn. The performance gap between the F2 and F4 is pretty significant, especially when it comes to high altitude performance.

Sure, but the F-2 should still reach more than 590 km/h at 6000 meters and with 3-minute WEP, it will go 615 km/h. That's pretty fast, even compared to the Mig-3. And that's already above critical altitude of the F-2.

MiG with AM-35A does 505 km/h at low level and 640 km/h at altitude, so will be a good match for the F-2.

Mk9YT3F.jpg

Edited by Bussard