Han

Developer Diary, Part 116 - Discussion

One thing struck me though: In the armaments options is listed only 500 rounds for the twin UBS nose guns variant. I thought it was well established, that the 2xUBS armed MiGs carried 700 rounds? (350 rounds per gun, sometimes misinterpreted as an incredible 700 rounds per gun)

looks like that serial MiG-3 with 2xUBS really got exactly 225 rounds per gun.

post-17028-0-86588600-1449761823_thumb.jpg

Another terrific update.  Looks like we're getting some nice presents here over the Christmas / New Year's period!

Not quite sure I follow all the MiG-3 flap & boost details after one reading, but it'll be fun figuring it out.

Thanks again gents!

looks like that serial MiG-3 with 2xUBS really got exactly 225 rounds per gun.

With 250 rounds we get just a bit over 15sec of fire (assuming a rate of fire near 1000 rounds/min which of course can vary)

Better make those shots count.

The ShVAKs are gonna be devastating though.

Not quite sure I follow all the MiG-3 flap & boost details after one reading, but it'll be fun figuring it out.

The flaps work like this:

The flaps have a maximum setting, which is indicated by a marker on the cockpit floor, just ahead of the flight stick. To decrease their maximum angle, one presses and holds the Flaps Up key command; pressing and holding Flaps Down will increase the angle. The flaps will then lower to that maximum limit every time one presses and releases the Flaps Down key command.

Edited by LukeFF

It's propably quite agile at higher speeds (similar to the Fw 190) don't expect that to translate into a good turn rate though.

I remember that in Il2 1946, Mig3 's high speed controllability is very poor. it's intersting to find it out in this new il2 series. lots stuffs are really new for me like we have sluggish control at high speed in Fw190 in the early versions of this game.

The MiG-3 looks great, but let's face it, if you want to use it as high altitude interceptor we might use this one. For those who still remember the first IL-2 had a stock mission taking off with MiG-3 and intercept the FW-189 at high altitude.

2b0c1661c43f8e04ebd1288a3aa37d04.jpg

Edited by Bussard
  • Upvote 4

Great update. Will any of the new tanks be drivable?

Says in the DD that they are built as AI, but considering how well the overall community has responded to the first two, I think we're undoubtably gonna see more variety later on. However, progress in this area may well be slow and sporadic if the devs keep to their word, that this is a pure "spare time project".

The MiG-3 looks great, but let's face it, if you want to use it as high altitude interceptor we might use this one. For those who still remember the first IL-2 had a stock mission taking off with MiG-3 and intercept the FW-189 at high altitude.​

That was a MiG-3U mission I think, but it was really fun indeed :biggrin: That being said, if you want to use it for high altitude interception you will be dealing not with the Fw-189 but Junkers aircraft. The Uhu was by design a battlefield recce aircraft, mainly informing the commanders of specific front sectors and situations, plus artillery correction and such. It flew slow (in the 300s) and its range was pretty short (about 600km if I remember correctly), no use for the kind of high altitude strategic recce the MiG was good against.

The Ju-88, however, could fly at 500km/h at about 5,000m, and up until its ceiling at 9,000m it flew above 400km/h. Of course, that is nothing with an angry MiG-3 buzzing towards you at 600km/h but it was a lot better than the 250-300km/h the Uhu could make at its maximum ceiling of 8,000m.

If you read Pokryshkin's memoirs from the pre-war days with German aircraft overflying Soviet border territories you will see that Junkers recce aircraft were so common (not necessarily the -88 for that matter, but it's what we have) that any high-flying multi-engined aircraft would prompt people to shout "Junkers!"

Thanks devs!!

Great update.

Great update. I'm still hoping that some day I'll be able to land my little I-16 in Red Square, though!  :P

Indeed. I hope that is less of a "won't do" and more of a "couldn't do with the time/resources."

It's like when the camera pans over a shoulder in a thriller. There is a reason in the plot. It is not done without a reason. Something will happen later in that scene.

Similarly, Moscow will be part of another scenario/map at some point. It makes no sense to devote design time if it won't be used later.

I have a feeling that it wont be the case. It probably has a big impact on performance and also the return on investment is probably very low (expanding the map)

Really glad to see new Ground AI units being added finally!  They will help with the tactical immersion for the Air to Ground piece.  I would like to see more though.  In particular, some prime movers and truck / Towed arty pieces that can move.  Much Air to ground combat focused on hitting ground units while they were moving as much as entrenched.  It would be really gratifying to catch and 88mm AAA battery limbered and on the move.  Additionally support vehicles, mobile command vehicles, and the like would be great objective targets for missions.

-  A version of the Opel Blitz with a limbered version of each Towed Artillery and AAA piece

-  A version of the Gaz Truck with a limbered version of each Towed Artillery and AAA piece

-  Groups or Squads of Motorcycle troops

-  SOME kind of German Recon vehicles     

-   Additional Prime movers (Sdkfz 7)

-  Additional Truck Variants for both sides.  Complete with a limbered version of any towed pieces.

-  More Mobile AA variants

-  Engineering vehicles

post-3828-0-93713700-1449783861_thumb.jpgpost-3828-0-36091100-1449783863_thumb.jpgpost-3828-0-17915000-1449783865_thumb.jpgpost-3828-0-55787600-1449783865_thumb.jpgpost-3828-0-20546100-1449783866_thumb.jpgpost-3828-0-87847600-1449783867_thumb.jpg

Also noticably absent is the Pz II, which was present on the eastern front in greater numbers than the Pz IV.

post-3828-0-58587100-1449784804_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheElf

Great looking plane.

I need to sort out some kind of gold medal so I can try it out!  :lol:

The additional ground units look very nice indeed. I wouldn't mind seeing human controlled AA, it could turn the vulching that sometimes occurs into a decent sport! 

Cheers!  :drinks:

A great update. Thanks devs for providing such detailed updates and keeping us all informed. It is really appreciated... even though you again forgot to include more details about the Ju-88 !!!   ;-)   ;-)   ;-)

Actually Murmansk's map is not in work now. The guy (@@abr), that was making a lot of the work, went off from the volunteers team (nobody knows why, probably some IRL reasons) and there isn't somebody else who can/want to do this work.

Murmansk would be brilliant! Lots of water and hilly terrain. A pity it has gone on hold. I'm definitely interested in helping out though! Any suggestions on who to contact to get involved?

Really glad to see new Ground AI units being added finally!

Indeed. It is especially nice to see the StuG-III too. Although it is only AI-controlled at the moment, I'd like to drive it if it was ever human-playable in future. I'm not so interested in tanks, but assault guns would certainly get my attention.

I have a feeling that it wont be the case. It probably has a big impact on performance and also the return on investment is probably very low (expanding the map)

Why expend the resources then? Seems a lot of design cycles for building a city no one will see or fly over. I'm not saying anytime soon but probably in the distant future we might see it.

Really glad to see new Ground AI units being added finally!  They will help with the tactical immersion for the Air to Ground piece.  I would like to see more though.  In particular, some prime movers and truck / Towed arty pieces that can move.  Much Air to ground combat focused on hitting ground units while they were moving as much as entrenched.  It would be really gratifying to catch and 88mm AAA battery limbered and on the move.  Additionally support vehicles, mobile command vehicles, and the like would be great objective targets for missions.

-  A version of the Opel Blitz with a limbered version of each Towed Artillery and AAA piece

-  A version of the Gaz Truck with a limbered version of each Towed Artillery and AAA piece

-  Groups or Squads of Motorcycle troops

-  SOME kind of German Recon vehicles     

-   Additional Prime movers (Sdkfz 7)

-  Additional Truck Variants for both sides.  Complete with a limbered version of any towed pieces.

-  More Mobile AA variants

-  Engineering vehicles

attachicon.gif300px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-203-1696-25,_Albanien,_Raupenschlepper_Ost_mit_Kanone.jpgattachicon.gifBMW_R75.jpgattachicon.gifBundesarchiv_Bild_101I-177-1451-19A,_Griechenland,_LKW_mit_Kastenaufbau.jpgattachicon.gifBundesarchiv_Bild_101I-280-1058-16,_Russland,_Halbkettenfahrzeug_mit_Pak.jpgattachicon.gifBundesarchiv_Bild_101III-Hummel-025-22,_Russland,_SS-Division_-Wiking-,_Panzerspähwagen.jpgattachicon.gifSd.Kfz._7_Krauss-Maffei_pic1.JPG

Also noticably absent is the Pz II, which was present on the eastern front in greater numbers than the Pz IV.

attachicon.gifPzIIC-010-715941.JPG

Panzer II Luchs is my favorite scout/light tank but it's a little later war :(

Why expend the resources then? Seems a lot of design cycles for building a city no one will see or fly over. I'm not saying anytime soon but probably in the distant future we might see it.

Panzer II Luchs is my favorite scout/light tank but it's a little later war :(

True.  I love the Luchs too, perhaps in a later Release?  If they build the Pz II Ausf B that would be the variant most representative in Russia circa 1941-41.

I would be willing to bet that the reason that Moscow will be on the edge is a video problem when you fly right over that big a city.  If it is off in the distance you don't need the detail that you would 'up close and personal'.  

It's very unlikely the city is built out there. I wouldn't get your hopes up that they actually fully built Moscow. I expect more of a facade. Otherwise, its more than just design cycles, it will impact system performance to have a fully developed and designed city full of 3D objects out there that no one will want to waste on something that isn't reachable.

An Opel Blitz was incapable of towing an 8,8 cm Flak18/36/37. For that purpose the SdKfz 7 was used. The 10,5 cm leFH 18 may have been possible, though. But given the much smaller cross-country-performance of a truck vs a halftrack (such as the SdKfz 6 in the case of the 10,5 cm leFH 18) the army greatly prefered those halftracks. They weren't as dependent on somewhat decent roads as trucks were.

By 1942 the Panzer II was on its way out, the 1941 campaign had seen the loss of many so those who survived were amalgamated into recon platoons attached to a Panzer Battalion's (and/or Regiment's) staff. Besides the chassis was needed for the tank-destroyers of the Marder II line. As such it would be not as relevant for the simulated timeframes as those tanks already present or announced.

Edited by csThor

It's very unlikely the city is built out there. I wouldn't get your hopes up that they actually fully built Moscow. I expect more of a facade. Otherwise, its more than just design cycles, it will impact system performance to have a fully developed and designed city full of 3D objects out there that no one will want to waste on something that isn't reachable.

They need to do something with the game engine to be able to draw lots of static object without high performance drop. It is possible to do - look at Nevada map in DCS.

I don't really care that you cant fly above Moscow. I mean how many mission designers create missions that takes place above/in actual Stalingrad?

But cool that we will at least be able to see the city from distant :) 

Another splendid and very informative update! I really appreciate the way you keep us up to date. This also includes Han's presence in the question thread!

Besten Dank Freunde!:)

Edited by Blooddawn1942

opSJReP.png

Indeed. It is especially nice to see the StuG-III too. Although it is only AI-controlled at the moment, I'd like to drive it if it was ever human-playable in future. I'm not so interested in tanks, but assault guns would certainly get my attention.

I'd hope we can keep this game as a flight simulator and not another version of War Thunder :salute:

• Upvote 1

Any chance, that the "Radar OFF" makes it to the next patch ? 

PS:

I'd hope we can keep this game as a flight simulator and not another version of War Thunder :salute:

In MP, it is a much more real flight simulator experience now, since there are human driven tanks on the battle field. The motivation to fly objective oriented did get up.

Edited by Quax

Thanks for the update, great pics and info. Still my most favourite sim of all time :salute: 

Looking forward to flying the Mig when it's ready :) 

Have a great weekend everyone

In MP, it is a much more real flight simulator experience now, since there are human driven tanks on the battle field. The motivation to fly objective oriented did get up.

As a former WT player, do not fool yourselves : currently open MP is exactly like war thunder simulator game mode (with better FM and more engine management)

Edit : and WT punish player for loosing planes.... So players tend to be more cautious with their plane....

Just hoping BOS could introduce a cool down after death before a player can take a new plane... So player stop being reckless and "frag count hungry" .... And start act like real pilot wanting to go home in one piece!

Edited by =LAL=Trinkof

As a former WT player, do not fool yourselves : currently open MP is exactly like war thunder simulator game mode (with better FM and more engine management)

LOL  

"It's just like WT, except for the important stuff, which is nothing like WT..."

• Upvote 4

LOL

"It's just like WT, except for the important stuff, which is nothing like WT..."

The initial comment was on the multi-player games, and how they are played :) and it is just like war thunder :) ....

It is something like two posts above.... Sarcasm is good.... Reading is good also and sometime interesting :)

Thanks for the update Devs!

I am always grateful for more variety in ground targets.

Just hoping BOS could introduce a cool down after death before a player can take a new plane... So player stop being reckless and "frag count hungry" .... And start act like real pilot wanting to go home in one piece!

That is possible. The server host just needs to implement it.

Edited by beepee

The initial comment was on the multi-player games, and how they are played :) and it is just like war thunder :) ...

Are you talking about normal servers or expert. I think the behaviors are very different.

• Upvote 1

The initial comment was on the multi-player games, and how they are played :) and it is just like war thunder :) ....

It is something like two posts above.... Sarcasm is good.... Reading is good also and sometime interesting :)

It's just like every air combat game ever made.  You fly around trying to shoot things down or blow things up.