Sneaksie

Game version 1.104 discussion: Summer and Autumn campaign, Bf 109 E-7 in early access

At 300M  visuals/textures on my monitor look much better than that vid, bump mapping works very well giving a decent '3D look' (cant think of more suitable description)  to textures...maybe it is just youtube or better native on my setup?

Trouble with a lot of these 'youtube reviwers' is that they rush to be the first out with content...no mention of new ground handling, ships/boats etc.wish I had not watched it on youtube and given him a 'clickview'

Poorly researched and prepared...viewers deserve better

Cheers Dakpilot

I didn't think it was that bad of a review. I think he gave a mature, honest evaluation, and in most regards I agreed with what he said - in particular that the grass rendering could be better than it is now. This is the first public rendition of the non-summer maps and, like we've seen with the winter maps, they'll no doubt be improved over time.

I didn't think it was that bad of a review. I think he gave a mature, honest evaluation, and in most regards I agreed with what he said - in particular that the grass rendering could be better than it is now. This is the first public rendition of the non-summer maps and, like we've seen with the winter maps, they'll no doubt be improved over time.

He has some valid points I agree but as someone who is aiming to profit from his reviews I still feel it was a rushed a poor example of what was being presented content wise

Cheers Dakpilot

There is no new campaign. It's six static missions - 1 per side - added to each of the 3 new chapters.

... aha, well, that was to be expected. So the big announcement about campaigns was nothing but a big, promising bag with actually nothing in it - or how you say that in english ... whatever.

Yes, the guys who made the campaigns for RoF must have been outstanding masterminds, they died and now no one is able to redo what they had done, too bad ... (sarcasm mode out).

• Upvote 1

... aha, well, that was to be expected. So the big announcement about campaigns was nothing but a big, promising bag with actually nothing in it - or how you say that in english ... whatever.

Yes, the guys who made the campaigns for RoF must have been outstanding masterminds, they died and now no one is able to redo what they had done, too bad ... (sarcasm mode out).

http://www.pwcampaignmanager.com/pwcgbos/web/PWCGBoS.html

The "big announcement" said exactly what was planned for the improved early campaign: Six scripted missions to start off each side of the three chapters. That has never been a secret.

I'm not a particularly big fan of the campaign system in BoS, but you can't claim, the devs haven't told us exactly what we were getting here.

BTW: The RoF career mode took years to just enter beta. It was not a simple task to create.

Edited by Finkeren

The six scripted missions were explained as Tester to see if popular

There is little point in putting huge work into similar RoF beta career  when PWCG is coming, most people switched to PWCG from RoF beta  in RoF as well.....

PWCG for BoS in second version for test right now

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/99-pwcg-bos/

Cheers Dakpilot​

Edited by Dakpilot

Some people switched from RoF Career to PWCG: as someone who still flies RoF career regularly,  I still see lots of new names cropping up on the stats pages regularly. I very much doubt that a mod - a rather fiddly one to install and buggy to use at that - is used by more people than the Career mode.

Those who did switch did so for a variety of reasons, but what it boils down to is that career is insufficiently customizable, especially for those that want 5 vs 5 dogfights at 15,000 feet. If the developers had made the Career easier to adjust no-one would use Pat's efforts. And do not forget that there is nothing that an outside utility like PWCG can do to alter fundamental faults in the game, which in RoF include RTBing AI always crashing into trees or hangers at certain airfields, laser flak, and AI flight leaders obsessed with balloons. There is absolutely nothing in PWCG that the developers could not have done much more easily themselves had they wanted to.

Optimism for PWCG-BoS with the new maps will have to wait as far as I am concerned until we see whether the core game develops meaningful ways to control your AI wingmen without having them zooming off all over the sky. If the mechanics of flying with AI wingmen against AI opposition are not right in the stock campaign, they will not be put right by PWCG-BoS.

The new maps are fine IMHO - a bit of a disappointment, what with the tiling effect  and overlay roads, but pretty much what we have come to get used to in RoF, and I expect they will be tweaked and improved. Ground handling is OK too - landing off strip is clearly more risky but not impossible, which seems reasonable.

The six scripted missions were explained as Tester to see if popular

There is little point in putting huge work into similar RoF beta career  when PWCG is coming, most people switched to PWCG from RoF beta  in RoF as well.....

PWCG for BoS in second version for test right now

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/99-pwcg-bos/

Cheers Dakpilot​

Thanks for all your answers "... when PWCG is coming ...." ? That means there will something like a real campaign generator be implemented in the sim ? When ?

I had so far not jet the time to test the new patch but from what I saw here and in the clips on youtube, it is a big improvement to the sim.

It is maybe too early to ask but how about the new campaign, does it work like the one in Rise of Flight ? How many missions can be done in one campaign ? I read something about only 6 missions. That is not much even for a small campaign. In a time from August 1942 to the beginning of 1943 including "operation Wintergewitter" there should be many more than only 6 missions. ...? Do you have to fly on both sides in order to advance in the campaign, if so that would be strange, ... well, maybe someone can tell me more because the former explanation of the devs about the new campaign system doesent seem to answer these questions. 

No new campaign but 3 new chapters using summer/autumn maps to the existing campaign. Each chapter consists 2 scripted missions on top of the generated ones. I have flown it and had fun even though I prefer traditional campaign. Main thing is that stuff is improving also in campaign and I think that these new chapters definitely are improvement.

Overall the patch is great!

Thanks for all your answers "... when PWCG is coming ...." ? That means there will something like a real campaign generator be implemented in the sim ? When ?

PWCG is an 3rd party career generator made by Pat Wilson. It works outside of the game. You generate mission in PWCG, fly it in BoS and go back to PWCG for results, medals, promotions etc.

It is brilliant piece of work and now in beta status.

I think he had some valid points, not bad review.  But when playing with GTX980 and talking about graphics, he should play the game in it`s full glory. I still think he had distance landscape detail set to normal instead of x4.

Edited by Zami

No luck, I've tried several times to update from 1.03 and each time I get "Failed to Update". Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this?

If using the non steam version, delete all the contents in the update folder and try again

Really? I think he raises some valid points.

3. The forests have rendering issues, with single trees constantly flipping between different renderings for seemingly no reason. Makes the entire forest looks like it's "bubbling" like a big bowl of green soup.

Personally, I'm not disappointed by this. It's to be expected, that there are still issues to be fixed when creating a whole new set of textures along with a heap of other stuff. I'm confident most of this will be fixed or at least improved, but to say the new maps just look absolutely fine with no issues is dishonest.

The "boiling soup" is peculiar indeed.

Here it is very visible.

But not something that can not be fixed I would say.

Does anyone else think the grass is a bit too tall..? Look at the screenshot and soldiers, it's like a wheat field. Doubt the steppes around Stalingrad are like this in the summer?

post-412-0-38374300-1446138995_thumb.jpg

There are also various minor issues with the new maps (grass bubble, trees, contrast issues) that hopefully devs will fix with future patches. Also, I think the new ground physics model is a bit over-modeled and should be toned down.. The AI can't handle this as well - they would get stuck constantly or bend their props trying to taxi over rough ground within a small 5 meter range.

Other than that I am very positive with this patch - stellar job devs!

hmmm... i flew (new map) yesterday for the 1st time in WoL and didn't notice the grass rendering only so close! i never left 1st person pov, though.

sim's pic looks kinda funny - it would seem the soldiers would have a cut or worn path(s).

On the topic of the scipted mission style since the campaign was the feature of most interest to me in this update.

I've only done the first one on the German side but the annoyance for me was that you had to succeed in the mission in order to continue in the campaign. I managed to get my pilot killed by AA fire in consecutive missions which meant replaying the same mission multiple times. Not something I'm a fan of. I much prefer the idea of failure leading to a new mission with different conditions. I also much prefer dynamic campaigns over scripted simply because it provide for greater replayability. If the goal of the campaign from a design perspective is to tell a story then I guess more scripting makes sense though.

Does anyone else think the grass is a bit too tall..? Look at the screenshot and soldiers, it's like a wheat field. Doubt the steppes around Stalingrad are like this in the summer?

attachicon.gifgrass.jpg

This great shot by Toxin_1 shows an aircraft of I. JG 3 on the Don early summer 1942 compared to one in BoS

post-6177-0-26293300-1446141605_thumb.jpg

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

Summer is absolutely great but Finkeren has a pretty good list of problems at the post number #244. Some of those are pretty disturbing. I would say the most eye catching are the popping trees. As well as noise/flickering and aliasing problems in some of the fields.

If something can be done to those issues, these would be perfect maps.

Edited by Zami

No new campaign but 3 new chapters using summer/autumn maps to the existing campaign. Each chapter consists 2 scripted missions on top of the generated ones. I have flown it and had fun even though I prefer traditional campaign. Main thing is that stuff is improving also in campaign and I think that these new chapters definitely are improvement.

Overall the patch is great!

PWCG is an 3rd party career generator made by Pat Wilson. It works outside of the game. You generate mission in PWCG, fly it in BoS and go back to PWCG for results, medals, promotions etc.

It is brilliant piece of work and now in beta status.

I think he had some valid points, not bad review.  But when playing with GTX980 and talking about graphics, he should play the game in it`s full glory. I still think he had distance landscape detail set to normal instead of x4.

Thanks for your info on the PWCG, does it have a readme that tells me how to use it when I download it ?

Thanks for your info on the PWCG, does it have a readme that tells me how to use it when I download it ?

Yes, readme is included in the file.

I really liked this update, I flew a IL2 and a PE 2 for a test in a online server. The rendering of targets from high altitude make the high level bombing a treat and it feels and look pretty realistic. The IL 2 , well I got shot down, but it felt like it could take more damage than before, could it bee the tweak on DM actually worked ? :P

Fantastic work developers, you have done a really good work and shown a dedication to make this sim better that exceeded my expectations. I am very grateful for this

Love the summer maps!  It's like a breath of fresh air.  Love the new interior sound on the F4 also, IMO they finally got it right :)  Now they just need to work on the exterior engine sounds and flyby's...

After a few restarts and attempts, deleting the updates folder content eventually worked.  Thanks again!

Working in a new taxiway  :P

Il-2%202015-10-27%2013-32-51-21_zpssd36z

What's up with the grass through the wings when crashed guys? Or is this a known issue? It seems to only happen when crashed...

P-40%20in%20the%20weeds_zps4ief0lu1.jpg

Nope. That happens all the time.

Usually the wings are just a bit higher above ground.

I have found maybe a bug, but not entirely sure within the QMB?

Ai  Yak fighter pilot,  swoops and engages a Russian water vessel?

The result: The Russian water vessel succeeded in shooting down the Yak, where the Ai pilot perished on the watery surface..

Maybe these types of mistakes happened, during that period ? Anyway, just thought I would share the information on the experience. Btw, the effects appeared quite amazing!

Other loopy bug found with Ai Russian soldiers spinning in circles, after they were attacked and survived.

Map: Stalingrad Summer Midday.

Regards,

Boomerang

P.S

AMD Crossfire works well!!

The result: The Russian water vessel succeeded in shooting down the Yak, where the Ai pilot perished on the watery surface..

If your side was flying Yaks, then no, it's not a bug.

Guys, if you have Nvidia GPU and are suffering from noise/flickering of the ground textures, take a look at this thread: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18882-terrain-aliasing-issues-1104/

In post #27 I explain what eliminated those issues for me. Maybe it won`t work for everyone but sparse grid supersampling is definetaly worth a try. 

Edited by Zami

Maybe these types of mistakes happened, during that period ? Anyway, just thought I would share the information on the experience. Btw, the effects appeared quite amazing!

Other loopy bug found with Ai Russian soldiers spinning in circles, after they were attacked and survived.

Map: Stalingrad Summer Midday.

Regards,

Boomerang

P.S

AMD Crossfire works well!!

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18868-game-version-1104-discussion-summer-and-autumn-campaign-bf-1/?p=297477

What's up with the grass through the wings when crashed guys? Or is this a known issue? It seems to only happen when crashed...

-snip-

"It is technology limitation™"

Edited by Space_Ghost

Hi guys, this update is just great  :salute: 

- the sun reflections are finally there, that's what I really missed

- landing seems more easier to me

- the surface effects are fabulous, but I think that bouncing on the ground it's a bit exaggerated - but It's just my feeling

- only one problem is the planes exploding:

for example: I shoot down plane at 1,000 meters and the plane is going down. But do not explode on impact,
  plane is breaks to parts... The same problem is landing to the field without gears at 500 km/h speed and nothing,

just like an emergency landing... Planes are too resistant to impacts. basically I like it but in some cases are planes too strong.

Do you agree with me???

for example: I shoot down plane at 1,000 meters and the plane is going down. But do not explode on impact,

plane is breaks to parts... The same problem is landing to the field without gears at 500 km/h speed and nothing,

just like an emergency landing... Planes are too resistant to impacts. basically I like it but in some cases are planes too strong.

Do you agree with me???

I actually think it's great!

The new ground physics are much better at simulating a fatal crash than before. Only the most intense crashes at very high speeds completely obliterates an aircraft. Mostly the plane would be torn into several pieces and somersault across the landscape, but to completely smash a plane into tiny pieces would require the extreme force of a near vertical impact at several hundred km/h.

This IMHO is more realistic and since they appear to have increased the risk of the pilot getting killed in a crash, it is no less deadly than before. Before pilots all too often survived high speed crashes that didn't blow the aircraft up.

• Upvote 1

P-40%20in%20the%20weeds_zps4ief0lu1.jpg

This clipping through the wings happens even when you're just taxiing - you just don't see it from inside the cockpit (thankfully) - it only seems to happen in external view.

-snip-

just like an emergency landing... Planes are too resistant to impacts. basically I like it but in some cases are planes too strong.

Do you agree with me???

No, I don't. I've seen more pictures of crumpled up 109's than I have empty impact craters on the ground.

I think the fact that you don't always explode on impact, can survive the crash in a wounded state and could be "picked up" later is a great improvement for immersion and realism.

• Upvote 2

I actually think it's great!

The new ground physics are much better at simulating a fatal crash than before. Only the most intense crashes at very high speeds completely obliterates an aircraft. Mostly the plane would be torn into several pieces and somersault across the landscape, but to completely smash a plane into tiny pieces would require the extreme force of a near vertical impact at several hundred km/h.

This IMHO is more realistic and since they appear to have increased the risk of the pilot getting killed in a crash, it is no less deadly than before. Before pilots all too often survived high speed crashes that didn't blow the aircraft up.

Yes, I agree with you, for me it is more funny these crashes if you're piloting. I mean the situation when you shot the plane

(3000 m - altitude) and it is falling down and no explosion than. It seems a bit unrealistic to me.

I tried it several times and even the plane falls uncontrollably to the ground explode as one of five cases. But it is just my feeling  :cool: 

Now is this sim SUPERB  :salute:

very good update for summer map ,

just the 3D  grass appears too too near , it's spoil the graphic result .

Edited by sport02