SCG_Tzigy

help with a russian plane part i.d.

I'm thinking it might not even necessarily be Russian to be honest.. it's funny cos it looks like a lot of stuff, but it's not a precise match to anything... again, measures would help!

Agree, not necessarily Russian. In addition to measures, a few more photos could help, too.

WWII Russian fighters have the MG port more ahead on cowl...

This recess have much angle to be a MG port, notice in the second picture...

This spring load "D" hatch near front is similar to one used in Bf 109 - but vertically mounted in this.

Sokol1

Bongo, the only engine that would match your description would be something a Gipsy, but the russians didn't have anything like this, besides the front strengthening frame wouldn't fit well on it.. 

I agree with Sokol, perhaps that's not an MG port at all. 

De Havilland Gipsy Queen straight 6 engine fitted to the DH Dove.

But a straight engines were quite common in inter-war periods.

perhaps that's not an MG port at all.

Agree, it's not an assumption, we could even be looking at it from the wrong end, maybe this is part of an engine pod?

It would be nice if there was any writing on it, perhaps inside, that would at least give us an idea what language the builders liked to use.

Unless the teardrop blister has been fitted backwards, the narrow end would have to be the front.

Unless the teardrop blister has been fitted backwards, the narrow end would have to be the front.

Yeah, saw that and had the same quandary.

This appears to be an engine cowl of some sort. but i lost my train of thought about halfway through page 1  :o:

My guess would be definitely a engine cowling. Pic 1 with the top in the foreground, front on the left- and obviously the reverse for the second pic, looking at the bottom and rear. The large rectangular opening and small round door to me are dead giveaways that those are ground level maintenance access areas.

I get the feeling this is one half of a symmetrical pair. There is a smaller long rectangular access hatch on what I would call the "top".

Could this be a cowling that would have sat just in front of the wing on the engine? Hence the abrupt structural end on the second pic on the left.

Now I am going to be "I Spy" -ing all the WW2 era multi-engine photos I see... :blink:  

Edited by Grifter

I rekon is something like this...

i224.jpg

A MiG I-222

Edited by Krupi
  • Upvote 1

I agree that it is a inline engine and so I have been looking at ww2 russian engines and the Mikulin AM-43 led me to that... I have never seen it before either!!!

What Interest me most is this...

post_12829_0_59012600_1383242362.jpg

And if you look at the other side of these Mig 222-224 etc...

mig_i-224.jpg

mmmmh very unlikely to be BV-155, lines don't match at all.

The curious thing about this cowl is that it looks like a lot of stuff but it's none of it lol

I'm leaning toward thinking this is not a single engine fighter cowling, but a twin engined fighters nose fairing (half). Similar to, although not a Lockheed Lightning or Westland Whirlwind etc. The construction appears too lightweight to be an engine cowling. As I have indicated in the photo, there appears to be a large gun trough and a smaller gun trough. In nearly every case I can think of, the heavier weapon would be mounted under the nose (20mm cannon?) which would put the small gun trough (heavy machine gun?) at the mid LH side. A fairly typical nose gun installation.

A little more background info from the O/P would be useful, like where the part is now? where was it found?

Hmmm! I cant figure out how to add the photo. I'll come back with this later.

thx!  just talked to my friend in Prague; he is a WW2 buff/collector, the item is currently in Austria, my friend bought it and he will be getting some more info soon  :)

On 5/18/2018 at 7:24 PM, SCG_Tzigy said:

Holy Cow, this could be it!!!

Fi167.jpg

I think you nailed it!

fi167-7.jpg.75fbf661277c81925d375af861d2a1fd.jpgfi167-2.jpg.6a728d8eb9123eb297ca1126046ce52f.jpg