Sign in to follow this  
LLv26_Ozz

What are these building damage properties?

I'm trying to do mission where building damage controls if that mission was successful or not.

But what are these settings and how to use them?

blockad.jpg

I got everything work with info about damage but I'm just wondering what are those and how can I use them?

(Spent 10 minutes writing a nice detailed answer, and an unfortunate strike between two keys sent me back to the previous page. Nice text lost  :angry: . Here comes a condensed version)

Damage threshold: percentage at which the "OnDamaged" event is raised

Add report button: allows you to trigger CMUs after command CMU completes. Useful e.g. to get bombers to fly to the next waypoint after dropping their bombs without need to use extra timers.

Target ID: for an entity, this is normally used to organize flights (planes) or columns (ground vehicles). Also works for static vehicles such as artillery.

Edited by -IRRE-coconut

Thanks Coconut (and sorry for Your typo)

I'm trying to do mission where fail comes when 2 of 3 (or any number) buildings have damage.

I tried it with counter so that if counter gets 2 damage "signals" from those buildings then mission fail comes but those signals comes every time it gets damaged (one or two buildings sends signal every time it is damaged). Tried to higher building report to 60 but it didn't work.

EDIT: I thing I got it working... 

Edited by LLv26_Ozz

Use the "onKilled" trigger to set something for their destruction. "onDamaged" will trigger as soon as they get hit with anything...even a bullet.

You can set how strong buildings (anything in blocks group) with the regular properties screen. It's under durability and defaults at "25000". 500 seems to work nicely.

Edited by AbortedMan

I tried different values on static trucks and with durability 1500 even the light MGs from the Lagg can destroy a truck very easily.

I can't see much difference up to a value of 1500.

When i switch to 2000 i can't kill the truck even with the 23mm gun ?!?

BTW, why can you change the value only in 500 steps?

"onDamaged" will trigger as soon as they get hit with anything...even a bullet.

For vehicles, it's worth noting that onDamaged honors the damage threshold. When the health of the vehicle reaches the threshold, the onDamaged event is triggered.

This is interesting to know for a column of vehicles, and detecting when a column has been "destroyed". When including soft targets in the column (i.e. anything that is not a tank), the crew will run away after some initial damage, typically 25%. If one uses onKilled, or even the default OnDamage 50%, you can end up with a column not being counted as destroyed because there are some "left-over", soft vehicles that have been damaged and cannot act, but haven't been killed. In other words, to check if a vehicle has become useless in a column, set the damage threshold to 25% for a tank, and to 75% for an armored car.

See the attached mission for the experiment that led me to these conclusions.

Damage.zip

Edited by coconut

Coconut,

Thanks for the information. I was wondering about your reply re. the use of "Report". I was under the impression that Report does not work as I've never been able to get it to accept any object reports or link to any targets. Can you give an example of how you would use Report versus the "Events" button. I created a mission where a Pe-2 formation bombs a factory (attack command). Event OnBingoBombs from the flight leader or OnKilled from the factory triggers a waypoint that is outbound from the factory.

Thanks!

Jim

@@JimTM

Report does work, I use it mostly for OnSpawned, OnTookOff and OnLanded.

You can also use it for OnAreaAttacked and I think for OnTargetAttacked, but there I'm not sure what are the criteria to decide if the command has been completed or not, and I therefore do no rely on them.

The way I use report is typically from the right-button menu. Select the unit, right-click, OnSpawned, click on the Spawner that has the unit has its object, then click on the target command.

@@JimTM

Report does work, I use it mostly for OnSpawned, OnTookOff and OnLanded.

You can also use it for OnAreaAttacked and I think for OnTargetAttacked, but there I'm not sure what are the criteria to decide if the command has been completed or not, and I therefore do no rely on them.

The way I use report is typically from the right-button menu. Select the unit, right-click, OnSpawned, click on the Spawner that has the unit has its object, then click on the target command.

Ah, after following Prangsters instructions on pg. 44, I see that Report does work. But, couldn't I do the same thing with an OnPlaneTookOff event rather than the slightly more complicated Report? The event waits for the plane to take off just like the report does before triggering the waypoint. Is there a difference here that I'm missing?

Jim

Is there a difference here that I'm missing?

I suppose you could make an AI land, and then take off again. If you need to differentiate between the two take-offs, you would use two different command MCUs and have a OnReport for each. I must say I have never tried that.

Thanks Coconut. Right now, I'm inclined to doc events and reports as essentially equivalent in the manual, but

I'll see if there's a compelling use case for reports in the next little while.

Jim

For vehicles, it's worth noting that onDamaged honors the damage threshold. When the health of the vehicle reaches the threshold, the onDamaged event is triggered.

I did not notice at first, but it is also possible to trigger the event whenever a certain amount of damage is received by un-ticking the checkbox.