Zak

Developer Diary, Part 90 - Discussion

Guys,

Stick to the topic which us this particular update. If you want to ask us questions do so in the appropriate topic.

Jason

Nice edit there, boss.

Please check your PMs....

• Upvote 1

Nice edit there, boss.

Post it in a more appropriate area of the forum. Arguing semantics about what the word simulation means is not relevant to this thread.

Jason

• Upvote 4

Great news about the upcoming update - looking forward to seeing another rash of improvements, big and small - good to see BoS keep getting better and better.  

Looking forward to BoM as well, though I'm a bit concerned now that Battle of Moscow will decrease the chance of the third installment being what I would really like to see next - Battle of Malta (since that would be "BoM" too and thus somewhat confusing in the acronym department)   :biggrin:

Because we believe that actual medals are for actual heroes and for their brave deeds, not for smashing buttons that make pixels change colors.

Very funny. Almost as funny as that some people take this at face value. :)

Obviously there are no "actual medals" being awarded to anyone, we are just talking about coloured pixels. Not that this was an issue for the same team in RoF: or does this sudden attack of scruples only come into play when the deeds of Soviet Heroes are the issue? I think not. 

You have to make Steam achievements to get onto Valve's platform, fine. If the 3rd party campaign building is a success then "actual medals" can be added in just like "actual units", "actual skins" and "actual pilots".

The change list looks like useful progress, thanks.

• Upvote 3

No, I am saying that I do NOT believe that it is a political move, it is purely a part of the whole game design with its steam achievements and unlock driven narrative, with most types of historical RP type content stripped out.

I.e. that Zak was making a joke. Which I found funny.

No, I am saying that I do NOT believe that it is a political move, it is purely a part of the whole game design with its steam achievements and unlock driven narrative, with most types of historical RP type content stripped out.

I.e. that Zak was making a joke. Which I found funny.

Recanted now that I have a better understanding of what you were getting at.

I disagree with you entirely, though.  :scratch_one-s_head:

The "Event Map" looks like a very useful feature. Hopefully, mission builders will be able to make this type of tool available for other SP missions (the lack of "stats" feedback on missions has been a bit of a gap in BoS's armament). I know there's Bosparser,, but it would be good not to have to use 3rd party tools for this sort of thing. Actually, it'd be cool if some boffin could make BoSparser do something similar for other types of missions! 

Thanks also for throwing some love at the Mission Editor. Cool stuff. Onward and upward, Comrades!

Edited by No601_Swallow

Fantastic reply. I don't care much either way, but I think this reply really makes sense. Also the fictitious medals are gorgeous, they really reflect the style and aesthetics of the period, and for either side. - I myself am much more into the actual flying than into looking at medals, but to each his own... 

OTOH in RoF career I got "real" medals...

medals.jpg

These BoS medals are really nice, I like them, but...

:)

Edited by ST_ami7b5
  • Upvote 2

Complaining about the "medals" "awarded" in a video game might be the most pointless waste of time in all of human history.

• Upvote 4

Complaining about the "medals" "awarded" in a video game might be the most pointless waste of time in all of human history.

If aimed at me, I didn't complain, just compared.

If you are at least a bit into immersion, then receiving a fake/unrealistic medal destroys it a bit.

Maybe no need to go further with this.

Would be "the most pointless waste of time in all of human history".

:bye:

Edited by ST_ami7b5
  • Upvote 3

Bah, I'm stuck at Gran Canaria right now so I have to wait a while to be able fly again.

I've got a tan that reminds me of a cooked lobster...

Anyway, great update as always!

Looking forward to coming home.

• Upvote 2

Thanks to devs for fast fixes of MP stutters and runway vis !!

Ground handling fixed?

Do you really want to spam every thread now with your inabillity to taxi ? BoS has best ground handling of all available PC sims. Edited by BlackDevil

Do you really want to spam every thread now with your inabillity to taxi ? BoS has best ground handling of all available PC sims.

dont agree with the language above :)

but at the core:

A)list of subjects treated

B)question about an update on a subject not lusted.

answer to B) please read A)

Guest deleted@30725

Useful - microstutter issue means no barrier of entry for mp for me now.

Thanks.

Hello evryone Digger here,

Big thank you to Boomerang for introducing me to the game, looking forward to trying it out should be fun :)

Bah, I'm stuck at Gran Canaria right now.

Welcome to paradise man!!! It's a sunny day and the sand it's in the air!!! (literally hahahaha)

Sounds like a very nice update.

The route functionality is going to be absolutely epic. My navigation skills are beyond horrible and unlikely to get much better unless I get feedback on where and how I actually screw up each time.

I don't think I completely understand the case with multiplayer, though, at least all the events really should be there (so that people can make for example campaigns) - note that I don't know exactly what is already available. The server of course already knows where everyone is at any given moment so the rest should be just about adding that info in a file, right? Anyway probably not a big deal, just please do provide enough info about multiplayer events so that external software such as campaigns (which I really hope we'll be getting soonish) can get whatever they may need.

The real question (which would be a bit off topic for this conversation I guess) is why there is any difference between single- and multiplayer modes at all, once you have code capable of replicating events across a network the former becomes simply a special case of the latter where the number of players = 1. I think that's how the original Il-2 (Il-1?) did it (at least there was very little difference between single- and multiplayer modes) and I think the later Falcon 4 (maybe the original as well?) is pretty much the same. It saves a lot of effort when all the content you create for one mode is basically usable in the other as well. ...but this is probably a bit off topic for this discussion anyway.

I would like to ask the Dev's  if  they are going to change or alter the way the clouds are modelled at some point in the future? While they are currently fairly good  at times they can look a bit odd and not quite right.

Thanks once again for the dedication and work that you are putting into BoS   :salute:

Great news about the upcoming update - looking forward to seeing another rash of improvements, big and small - good to see BoS keep getting better and better.

Looking forward to BoM as well, though I'm a bit concerned now that Battle of Moscow will decrease the chance of the third installment being what I would really like to see next - Battle of Malta (since that would be "BoM" too and thus somewhat confusing in the acronym department) :biggrin:

BoMa :-)

But before that i hope for BoK. Would love to get my hands to an La5FN and HS129

Edited by Celestiale

Because we believe that actual medals are for actual heroes and for their brave deeds, not for smashing buttons that make pixels change colors.

Well then why were they in Rise of Flight?

Also, you're looking at it all wrong; it's a chance to educate people on an interesting subject. That's what was so fun about RoF's rewards. 
  • Upvote 5

Also, you're looking at it all wrong; it's a chance to educate people on an interesting subject. That's what was so fun about RoF's rewards. 

And a big +1 to that, agree completely!

• Upvote 5

Not just in RoF....... it was in other sims as well....

• Upvote 4

Like it or not, WWII medals are historically much more contentious than WWI medals. Swastikas and communist imagery abound on WWII medals and raise a lot of emotions, not all positive. If the developers don't want to put their hands into that wasps' nest, what is honestly the major problem with that? 

• Upvote 4

Fantastic reply. I don't care much either way, but I think this reply really makes sense. Also the fictitious medals are gorgeous, they really reflect the style and aesthetics of the period, and for either side. - I myself am much more into the actual flying than into looking at medals, but to each his own... 

+1

Like it or not, WWII medals are historically much more contentious than WWI medals. Swastikas and communist imagery abound on WWII medals and raise a lot of emotions, not all positive. If the developers don't want to put their hands into that wasps' nest, what is honestly the major problem with that? 

I think this plus what Zak said pretty much covers it.  

Issuing facsimile medals would be quite disrespectful IMO.  The people who fought during the War and received these things (and those who didn't) wen't through things that we can't even begin to understand.  Let's just stay well clear of proper medals.  This is just a game after all!

Edited by Wulf
  • Upvote 2

I just do not understand how people think it is OK to have a game in which the object is to kill people and then get all sanctimonious about the possibility of a section of the game in which people are to win virtual medals for doing so.

Are we all now to boycott RoF because it is possible to win a virtual VC? 

• Upvote 6

Then we should also stay away from proper historical airplanes and armies and fly for Pink and Yellow side in fokepuffs,messerpits,maks,vaggs,metlyakovs and zilyushins...:)

• Upvote 4

I'll be lucky to get the Lucky badge  :(

Is that why we have bail out annimations for people like me who end up gettng shot down a lot - something for us to watch?

Is that why we have bail out annimations for people like me who end up gettng shot down a lot - something for us to watch?

Don't worry, your not alone. I've seen those animations many times myself. I think it would be cool if we could press a button for the Ripcord, as we are sitting ducks up there, (when the parachute is shot, it's "SPAT" on the Mother land).

Re the medals, it's hard to please everyone, thats the best thing about mods, on or off. In the meantime, diplomacy is a fair thing I think,.

• Upvote 1

So it means that all flighsims I have flown up till today did it wrong?Because I have been receiving proper historically accurate medals,titles and awards since Red Baron/AoE/AoP.

I can live with this pseudomedals as Achievements in Steam system.But for sure not in proper historical campaign.

• Upvote 2