Zak

Developer Diary, Part 90 - Discussion

Hi Everybody,

While the team is busy on version 1.010 which already includes over 40 fixes and improvements I’d like to tell you a couple of words about one of the new features. I’m talking about the full event map that describes the entire mission in details. You’re going to see the whole route that you’ve been following and a net of markers showing all events that took place. Not only time and coordinates of kills and deaths are marked there, but also a lot of other curious facts such as:

• death of your fellow gunner;
  • death of a gunner on an enemy plane;
  • AI plane taking down another AI plane;
  • AI tank (artillery unit, light armor unit) taking down another AI-controlled ground vehicle;
  • death of the pilot in case if he loses control over the plane without any “help” from the enemy.

11.png       21.png

All events are going to have their own specific icons so you could easily read the map when the mission is over. The screenshots you see here are just WIP images, and what testers will see this weekend will be much closer to the final variant.

Among other nice new things, the 1.010 version will include several DM fixes, AI behavior improvements, on Bf 109 and Fw 190 in particular, some neat improvements in the interface, etc..

We’ve addressed the relatively new issue with the airfields not properly seen on the updated terrain texture in version 1.009. So, the upcoming update, as we believe, will mostly fix this issue and will allow pilots to distinguish the airfields from larger distances.

Microstutters that used to bother a some multiplayer fans were removed. Also a few new features were prepared for server hosts and mission makers: a topographic map which is way more convenient than the white one was added to the mission editor; a pretty handy zoom setting was made for those who spend a lot of time in the editor; the ping filter at last works properly in dedicated server settings, etc.

And while you’re waiting for the new version to be released next week, and while of dear testers are checking if we haven’t spoiled anything by adding new stuff, I suggest you some useful files to take a look at. These are the award tables that show what you can get by playing the Campaign. There are all awards here except 2 that are given for completing the entire Russian and German campaigns, and the Grand Battle of Stalingrad medal - these 3 are shown separately under the tables.

Have a good weekend, pilots! And keep in mind that the sale is still on, get 50% off until March 9th both in the IL2BOS store and on Steam.

campaign_rus_eng.png      campaign_ger_eng.png      personal_eng.png

47_240.png      48_240.png      8_240.png

Full news

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 3

Any idea of changes to

- ingame map handling change (RoF is a well working example)

- decativating "radar" cirlce around airfields online (in custom DServer Setts)

- deactivating "GPS" (= "I" button) in custom settings

- Listen Server Implementation (Coop mode)

However thx for the update.

Nice update.  Looking forward to next week very much. 

Zak; can you please ask Loft to do something about mods on mode?  The demand and the ability to create mods is here, we just need the mode added to the game now. :biggrin:  

• Upvote 5

Looks good, adding a bit more depth.

Any news of when we get to pre-order Battle of Moscow?

Yeah, looking forward to placing my pre-order too :salute:

Sounds great, thanks Zak!

I hope you'll list the 40 fixes when the update is released.

Have a nice weekend too!

We’ve addressed the relatively new issue with the airfields not properly seen on the updated terrain texture in version 1.009. So, the upcoming update, as we believe, will mostly fix this issue and will allow pilots to distinguish the airfields from larger distances.
Thank the heavens and the Dev's :salute:
  • Upvote 1

There a reason you guys refuse to use actual medals? I mean there are plenty, and lots of post war versions without the you-know-whats. 

Edited by SYN_Luftwaffles
  • Upvote 2

Looks like a very good update again, looking forward to release next week!

Full event map is welcomed addition also.

Thanks for news and good work!

Thanks for listening and adjusting the contrast of the airfields so quickly. Thats excellent Customer Service.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for listening and adjusting the contrast of the airfields so quickly. Thats excellent Customer Service.

I echo what Dog says, big thanks :)

Loggin inflight info

sending that info to someone else?

can that "someone else" then compile all info incoming from that MP mission

and thus start something like an online war... management thing...

hehe sounds GoooOOd!
thanks for the update.

And once again update will sound really great!

For me the most wanted is that topographic map for FMB. White text against snowy ground...

Will the full event map be sp only?  I assume so.

Yes, it's for sp. It is possible (technically) to do such thing for mp of course but we don't plan to do that - server should be doing the calculation, and the calculation would be huge - it would be incredibly complex/

Zak; can you please ask Loft to do something about mods on mode?  The demand and the ability to create mods is here, we just need the mode added to the game now. :biggrin:  

I'll keep talking to him on that topic, yes.

Any news of when we get to pre-order Battle of Moscow?

We should be ready to share more info later in March, I believe

This all sounds good.  Any information on the hit sounds problem?

Which one this time, please, specify?

There a reason you guys refuse to use actual medals? I mean there are plenty, and lots of post war versions without the you-know-whats. 

Because we believe that actual medals are for actual heroes and for their brave deeds, not for smashing buttons that make pixels change colors.

• Upvote 21

-snip-

(Hit sounds issue.)

Which one this time, please, specify?

-snip-

The issue that the sound engine has always had... Increasing the rendered sounds to 128 in the configuration file (please don't remove the option to do this... the graphics presets are bad enough...) improved some instances where hit sounds weren't being generated but I would still say more than 70% of the time no hit sounds are being heard in both MP and SP. 

Edited by 4./JG26_Adler

Because we believe that actual medals are for actual heroes and for their brave deeds, not for smashing buttons that make pixels change colors.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Thx for the update.

Fantastic reply. I don't care much either way, but I think this reply really makes sense. Also the fictitious medals are gorgeous, they really reflect the style and aesthetics of the period, and for either side. - I myself am much more into the actual flying than into looking at medals, but to each his own... 

Great to see that there are always nice surprises coming and you dont spill the news in advance for every update.

I love the fact that you guys are still working hard on the game.

Great update!

Thx devs, great news!

I love the idea with the event icons. Reminds me of the good old silent hunter 2, where you had a map in which everey sunken ship during the campaign was marked. I enjoyed looking at these and remembering the incidents...

I think In BOS this will help to get rid of the feeling of just flying unrelated random missions  :cool:

Edited by NachtJaeger110

Zack, what about visibillity distance when flying high altitude? it s pretty impossible to bomb at high altitude because we dont see target (lod settings are to agressive)

even at ´´ultra ´´ setting.

thanks