soupdragon

Seriously No Undo Command

Really need one. would be great to step back through the last few things you did in case it all goes tits up. (as it just did can't you tell.....GRRRRRRRR) It really is a bad omission in a mission editor.

SD

Edited by soupdragon

A ctrl+Z incremented command on what you last did would surely be EXTREMELY useful

Diolch i chi

PS : Spent some time in  your country Soupdragon, always wearing a red shirt when it comes to six nations rugby

LOL Thanks Luny :)  I asssumed as the editor had assimilated the Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v conventions from every other program ever made, I also assumed that Ctrl-Z would take you back a step or two. hopefully this can be shoe horned into the editor at some point.

Diolch yn Fawr iawn (Thanks very much)

good luck tomorrow (if you are French) but not really I hope we beat you well :D

SD

Edited by soupdragon

I agree, it would be great if we can have it.

if you talk about mission editor there is small icon like scissors it will remove selected "thing"

Edited by szuszu

if you talk about mission editor there is small icon like scissors it will remove selected "thing"

it's more like we need icon that will save your a** after you accidentally removed lots of things from mission

So undo last X deletes would be great (I dare to say necessary) and surely not that hard to code, undo last X actions would be even better.

DEVs, pretty please with cherry on top ;-)

Off topic : well done Cymru ;)

Thanks Luny.  It was a good match we were lucky to win. tomorrows match will be massive. looking forward to watching it as an impartial  supporter *cough*  C'mon Ireland *cough* :D

SD

If the editor is not designed to support undo/redo from scratch, it can be hard to add after the fact.

I don't have a solution, but as a work-around, a good version control software can help recover old versions, and try to build up from there.

In the software developer world, git is very popular. I'm currently trying a GUI for git called SourceTree, which you can get for free from http://sourcetreeapp.com/

Basically, what this kind of tool lets you do is save the state of all your files in a project, and get back to it later. It even allows you to make branches to try different things.

You can achieve the same effect by saving copies of your work manually, but it tends to get messy after a while, due to the large number of copies.

Using version control software can be a bit daunting at first, but once you get the hand of it you won't want to work without it.

i use git for work stuff, so no problem there, but you would have to save really often and make git commit everytime mission files change, prefereably automatically ... and it would be probably pain in the *** to revert, but still better than nothing

I don't think undo delete is so hard even in unprepared sw, as its one well defined action, just hook one more event listener, save object info somewhere before actually deleting it

Yes, the ability to undo changes would be handy.   Until then, as others have suggested, it helps to use multiple saves (I differ my filenames with datestamp and a single alpha, example:  030315A, 030315B, etc.) and save often.