Attached is proof of concept tool, that downloads skinlist and can install selected skin.

DISCLAIMER: It is my personal project used to test idea, it has no relations to my job in 1CGS (means: it is not developed or supported in any way by 1CGS).

How to use:

1. Download zip, unpack and copy two files to bin/game folder.

2. Run SkinCollection.exe, wait while skin list is downloaded.

3. Double click on skin, there you will see screenshot (may take some time to be downloaded) and install button.

I've added several skins from forums, 3 skins were added by authors, all skins should be installable without any issues.

bonus:

If you want, you can submit skin via this link (or if you prefer russian language via this link) skin list related files are rebuilt once per 3-5 minutes,thus if nothing gone wrong start tool in 5 minutes and you will see submitted skin. All fields are required (except squad name, it can be empty). Base name is name without aircraft model prefix (it will be added automatically), used to name screenshot, skin and icon names on server and on your PC after downloading. Should contain only alphanumerical and _ or - symbols.

If your skin contains hakenkreuz or whatever else which may offend someone, then add some note to description (e.g. "historical" or "have hakenkreuz" or something else) and don't show those symbols on icon cause it is displayed to anyone in main window.

Data is hosted on server with limited memory/CPU, so it may take some time to upload skin info. Server side software is simplistic, so there may be some unexpected errors.

skindownloader.zip

• Upvote 16

Tried it out, and it seems to work when clicking install button it says 'working' then reverts to install, however the skins have not shown up in game, could this be because I have game installed on separate "d" drive SSD and not the default path, it is non steam game.

Looks very slick and professional though :)

so i can upload my skins there.
and when people run the program, the skins are downloaded into the game after a check every 5 minutes.

Okay...
wow.

Hmm.
before i try, some spontaneous thoughts:
it would be cool to run this program when the player starts a campaign mission. [when the request for new mission goes to master server, trigger execution of the program]
- the player is not online, so the connection can be used to download.

will make a few skins based on the 3 tona default and see if this works.
wow wow wow. this could be great, could be a way to organize skins distribution.

Tried it out, and it seems to work when clicking install button it says 'working' then reverts to install, however the skins have not shown up in game, could this be because I have game installed on separate "d" drive SSD and not the default path, it is non steam game.

Looks very slick and professional though :)

Check, if there are some .dds files in updates folder. If yes, then it downloaded skin, but something gone wrong after downloading.

when people run the program, the skins are downloaded into the game after a check every 5 minutes.

No, skins are not downloaded to game folder automatically every 5 minutes.

Once per 3 minutes server starts rebuilding of zipped skin list if there are any changes in database.

Thus uploaded to servers skins are added to list of skins in a short period (

When tool starts, it downloads skin list if there is newer version of list than saved during previous start.

Then those skins can be downloaded manually from tool by clicking install button. At least, it is expected behaviour :)

Check, if there are some .dds files in updates folder. If yes, then it downloaded skin, but something gone wrong after downloading.

Thank you for this tool Taleks. it looks good. It downloaded the skins, but it didn't install them in the game. All the stuf is in the updates folder as you predicted.

I have the game on an extra  ssd, not the default location.

I have a question about this tool. If I uploaded a skin and then did some fixes, is it possible to update the skin? Basically make and upload the new skin with the same name?

Thank you.

All the stuf is in the updates folder as you predicted.

I'll add error log to find out what is the cause, may be access to skins folder is denied for some reason.

Tool works with relative to game binaries paths, not absolute paths, thus it shouldn't matter where game is installed.

I have a question about this tool. If I uploaded a skin and then did some fixes, is it possible to update the skin? Basically make and upload the new skin with the same name?

Although skin versions tracking is supported in skin list format (you can open updates/skindb/skindb.xml and find VersionsHistory tag), updating is not implemented on server yet. Should be available this week a bit later.

I guess it will be in implemented in this way:

1. During skin submission for the first time you will get PIN, some random number like 9253.

2. When updating skin you will enter this PIN, base name, new image/description data and optional comment about changes in the skin.

PIN is required to avoid skin updating by someone else to avoid unintended mistakes or abusing, skin base name/PIN will work like login/password pair.

It may be not the best solution, but I don't like idea of forced user registration.

Originally, skin downloader idea was to develop skin list file format and tool which can work with it.

Having both of them, anyone can provide own skin hosting server and force own politics in skin submission, etc.

• Upvote 1

i am having problems with this.

when downloading, i get an error "Skincollection has stopped working"

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    SkinCollection.exe
  Application Version:    1.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    54bf2d25
  Fault Module Name:    d3d9.dll

==========================================

ok, i messed around, and the solution is fairly simple: renamed the d3d9.dll to d3d9.dllOLD

Good!

can it be that this tool "could potentially be integrated" in the game, in the year 2020?
the screenshots could be used in a similar manner than the screenshots for the "default skin preview":

lagg3.713c0cc6b139.jpg

Edited by Yakdriver

Sorry for delay with answer, I'm a little bit busy with recent work on other tools last days.

when downloading, i get an error "Skincollection has stopped working"

That is caused by SweetFX/FlightFX. There was similar crash in launcher earlier, thus it work in software rendering mode now.

Roots of issue are in conflict between WPF (GUI related framework for .NET) and modified d3d9.dll which is used by sweetfx to inject shaders. I'll force software rendering in next version of skin downloader.

can it be that this tool "could potentially be integrated" in the game, in the year 2020?

Not sure about this. There are a lot of other things to tweak and actively support now.

It's more flexible to keep it separate personal project. It will be open sourced on github soon.

the screenshots could be used in a similar manner than the screenshots for the "default skin preview

Well, it depends on submitter of skin. I'm sure author chooses the best angle and scene for skin.

To make it more convenient, it would be possible to upload up to three screenshots in next version of the tool.

I messed up. I tried to upload an updated version of the last skin I made, but looks like the downloader tool posted it as new skin. Now if that's not bad enough, I forgot to change the plane to FW190 and the downloader got the marked version as Bf-109F4 skin. :wacko:

Is there a way I can fix that?

This looks like a really great idea. Definitely there needs to be an easy automatic way for players to get all the hundreds of skins for the game without having to download them individually.

I messed up. I tried to upload an updated version of the last skin I made, but looks like the downloader tool posted it as new skin. Now if that's not bad enough, I forgot to change the plane to FW190 and the downloader got the marked version as Bf-109F4 skin. :wacko:

Is there a way I can fix that?

I'll look at server data this weekend and remove earlier submitted skin.

Actually, interface to update skin is almost completed, but last weeks are too busy, I can't find time to finish it.

So great tool, but it does not working for me :mellow:

It is working when clicking install button it says 'working' then reverts to install, however the skins have not shown up in game.

And dds files are not in the game update folder.

What is wrong?

Most probably executable has no permissions to write files in updates and data folder.

Try to start it with elevated privileges (Right mouse button click on executable, Run As Administrator).

So great tool, but it does not working for me :mellow:

It is working when clicking install button it says 'working' then reverts to install, however the skins have not shown up in game.

And dds files are not in the game update folder.

What is wrong?

I have the same problem.

Most probably executable has no permissions to write files in updates and data folder.

Try to start it with elevated privileges (Right mouse button click on executable, Run As Administrator).

No effect.

In fact in the 'Bin / Update' i have the screen 'PNG' and a file 'DDS'.
So I guess it's the skin not installed  in the right place ?
I wonder if by installing this file in the right place (wich one please, data folder ?) skin would be available in the game? 
Thank you for sharing this tool !
Edited by bexhausted

Thanks a lot i'ts works perferct :cool:

one idea for a next version, a choice by squad  it would be great ;)

i just found the answer :biggrin:

Thank's again

Edited by 12F_Blue

Most probably executable has no permissions to write files in updates and data folder. Try to start it with elevated privileges (Right mouse button click on executable, Run As Administrator).

Still no effect for me. No working  :(  

I wonder if by installing this file in the right place (wich one please, data folder ?) skin would be available in the game?

Downloader works in this way:

1. it downloads if needed latest information about skins.

2. you select skin, click install

3. skin is downloaded to updates folder.

4. Downloader verifies skin checksum to be sure no downloading errors occured. Usualy it is safe to assume, it was downloaded correctly.

5. skin is copied to data/graphics/Skins folder. There are several subfolders there (like Bf109F4, Yak1s69), each one for exact plane model.

Seems like step 5) was not completed for some reason. You can copy related .dds to appropriate folder and it should work in game.

@@CZEforzamike

Hm, probably I need to add log to find out reasons of this issue. Will add this week.

Does this work if the game folder is not in the normal location?  I have my game folder here: 

C:\My Programs\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins

Notice, it is 'My Programs' not 'Program Files'.

This does not seem to work.  You mention it downloads to some 'Update' folder?  I don't see that folder either.  This just does not work.

Oh well, this looks like an old dead thread.  

@DDSnacko ~S~ mate!

My game is in C://IL2 Battle of Stalingrad and this works for me. Check the destination path or do a delete and d/l again. Very convenient for a skin whore like me, lol!

Still remember our online rolling scissors dogfight when practicing in JO Advanced Fighter 3, with 7 revolutions! Best of the season and Merry Christmas mate!

DDStrider

Thanks Strider.  I never took JO Advanced Fighter 3.  Just Basic Training..  But I do remember many scissor fights.  Those are great!  I remember one once on the dogz server where me and my opponent were the last two alive in some I16's I believe.  That one went on for about 5 minutes!  

Well, since you say this thing works in a non-normal path, that helps.  But one post mentioned something about an 'Updates' folder.  I don't have a clue what that is.  I don't have one.  Not in the game.  Not in the download file.  So what the heck is that..?

I have run as Admin.  No good.  I have turned off my Firewall; Antivirus; Web Protection; Antispam; and Intrusion Detection from BitDefender.  No good.  And I have tried running for compatability with Windows 7, 8, and run the Windows 10 Compatability Troubleshooter.  No good.  It does not work.  

Downloader works in this way:

1. it downloads if needed latest information about skins.

2. you select skin, click install

3. skin is downloaded to updates folder.

4. Downloader verifies skin checksum to be sure no downloading errors occured. Usualy it is safe to assume, it was downloaded correctly.

5. skin is copied to data/graphics/Skins folder. There are several subfolders there (like Bf109F4, Yak1s69), each one for exact plane model.

Seems like step 5) was not completed for some reason. You can copy related .dds to appropriate folder and it should work in game.

@@CZEforzamike

Hm, probably I need to add log to find out reasons of this issue. Will add this week.

And where is this Phantom 'Updates Folder'?  Oh well..

And where is this Phantom 'Updates Folder'?  Oh well..

Go to your path;

C:\My Programs\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\

and to the right of the data folder is the Update Folder.

@ Strider!  Hey, happy christmas man :salute: 

Thanks.  Yes I see that updates folder now.  But there is nothing in it for skin downloads.

Thanks for trying to help guys.  But I think it does not work on my pc for some reason.    :wacko:

~S~mate. I don't know what to say. You have tried all the usual suspects. Mine worked out of the box.

I have no "Updates" folder in my install. I pinned  an .exe icon to the taskbar and hit it once in a while, click d/l all and it happens.

Great memories flying at JO. I know it was you in the incident. ~S~ mate.

DDStrider

Go to your path;

C:\My Programs\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\

and to the right of the data folder is the Update Folder.

@ Strider!  Hey, happy christmas man :salute: 

Merry Christmas Arthur! I'll be back soon. Getting sharp from a long layoff. Happy Holidays, Mate!

Strider

Thanks..

I also have never seen anything called download all.    Must be a button or toolbar? I have neither.  Don't worry about it..  It don't work.

Nice thanks

I going to watch this thread very close to see the updates come out on this!

Edited by II./JG53_Badger

After 2 years of somewhat dull existence skin downloader tool is going to retire.

I'd no enough time to implement what I wanted, and there is no need anymore for the tool, e.g. there is a collection of skins on il2skins.de for a long period of time and well populated forum threads for skins.

Server will be shut down in a few hours because of my greed and a lot of potentially exploitable vulnerabilities, for scanning of which bots spend more time than pilots for skin downloading.

Archive of all uploaded skins is available here (~240 Mb).

• Upvote 3