LaGG - 3 (Series 29) skins

Bearcat

Thank you so much for the really excellent new skins for the Lagg and the other Russian aircraft.

Beautiful!

Edited by kendo
616Sqn_Johnny-Red

Excellent study Tomasz. Faithful to original sources and with very impressive attention to detail. This one is getting a flight test 'soon as I finish this post!

JR :salute:

6./ZG26_5tuka

I really like the way the black paint fades off, that's sth i hav ebeen struggeling with for quite some time now. Your result looks fantastic so I'm going to attempt sth similar for my own skins :)

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Caudron431

Hello skinners!

Thanks a lot for all the nice Lagg3 skins :good:

I just wanted if allowed in this thread, to do a request for a summer camo of Mironov's aircraft (i love the winter one we have in game so much!)

Maybe this link can be usefull for those maybe interested in it.

Anyway keep on the good job, this sim is becoming a legend :)

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/mironov/mironov.html

616Sqn_Johnny-Red

I could take at look at that for you - interesting looking machine. Should be an education :)

I'll PM you an update when it's started. Shouldn't be too long.

• 2 weeks later...
Yakdriver

I still love the little Dumptruck so i spent a bit of time around it.

based on the stock "3-colors_71" Camouflage, and as a complement to the 3 examples found on the first page of this thread, here come some more:
These planes have been in service for some time now, some are worn on the outside and have been touched up  in the field, others appear like new.
None looks like the other - no simple copypasting of the base scheme :)
(custom alpha)

http://masterrussian.com/proverbs/russian_proverbs.htm

"77" - the winged one

image.png

"66" - go west

image.jpg

"78" - two stars

image.jpg

"85" - the russian

image.jpg

"86" - hammer the iron while it´s hot

image.jpg

"76" Jabo bear
image.jpg

"70" we the army

image.png

"61" More Metal More Weapons

image.jpg

"79" Adversity is a good teacher

image.jpg

Enjoy!

(any mistakes - point them out...)

--> http://www.mediafire.com/download/6iq48puz9p9ojq3/3-Color_Crew.zip

Edited by Hawker_Typhoon
  • Upvote 4
616Sqn_Johnny-Red

LaGG-3 of Captain VP Mironov, 609th IAP.

For source information and visual reference go to: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lagg3/mironov/mironov.html: Article by Audrius Nairanauskas and Massimo Tessitori.

I have managed to learn very little more about Mironov; only that he must have been both resourceful and exceptionally lucky to have gained such a high number of victories on the LaGG. I can only envy his skill.

Skin download here

I assume this aircraft (a Series 11) to be stripped of its white distempter in spring 1943, and then perhaps has had some of its red markings painted out to reduce luminence (maybe due to concerns about German aerial photography) possibly as part of an ongoing maskirovka drive. Whatever the reason, this plane appears to have had a lot of black over-painting in both camouflage and markings. As originally photographed, the plane had 6 rockets mounted beneath the wings.

post-16789-0-33802200-1456099943_thumb.jpg

post-16789-0-21801800-1456099974_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Yak9Micha for getting me started on this ;)

Any and all constructive feedback most welcome;

Regards,

Edited by Johnny-Red
  • Upvote 4
Caudron431

Wow, awesome,

Many thanks Johnny-Red, this is my LaGG3 favorite skin, thank you so much :thank_you:

Thanks to guys like you, this sim getting more and more fantastic!

Trooper117

There is something pleasing in the look of the Lagg that I like... I'll have a fly in it in SP every now and then.

Still crap my pants when the 109's turn up though!

Yakdriver

the metal hand is not historical either :) most defnitely a post war thing. But it looks great.
and "the winged one" is an extract of a T-shirt :D
Possible. goodlooking. appealing

616Sqn_Johnny-Red

Wow, awesome, Many thanks Johnny-Red, this is my LaGG3 favorite skin, thank you so much :thank_you: Thanks to guys like you, this sim getting more and more fantastic!

It's been an education doing this skin mate. And somewhat enjoyable  ;)  If anyone has enough reference material for a historical LaGG they'd really like to see, gimme a shout.

There is something pleasing in the look of the Lagg that I like... I'll have a fly in it in SP every now and then. Still crap my pants when the 109's turn up though!

I've flown the LaGG a lot while skinning it (as well as in career). Basically if you hold the height advatage you're probably gonna be OK. With any luck - maybe.

It's when 109's go verticle that life gets hard. Agressively defending head on passes from a heigh disavantage can wear on the soul and it's not a plane you can stall turn after a long easy climb and then right easily (not in my clumsy hands)...

Squander the height / energy advantage you have earned and it can be a real pain.

Today I have climbed with a Bf109F-4 which cost me a frustrating 13 minutes and over 80 litres of fuel. In futile rage I deliberately spun my plane under his latest (of many) diving and climbing attacks. Upon recovery I found my self 400m behind him:

23mm (HE) Deep Joy :lol:

I settled my hash and landed on the vapours three minutes later. :salute:

You wait ages for a bullet hole, then nineteen come along at once...

JR

• Upvote 1
616Sqn_Johnny-Red

Lunacy! :lol:

I don't normally do crazy skins either, but I once knew an old lady who would have approved, so this one is going in my skins collection.

Лакированные Гарантированный Посуда!

Varnished Guaranteed Tableware (via google translate)

:salute: KOHTYR

• 2 weeks later...
6./ZG26_5tuka

About time the Lagg gets some love again :)

New WiP Lagg-3 "White 66" based on a scale model by Peter Vill

lagg3_w61_12.jpg

jW4qC95.jpg

The scheme is supposed to be historical (unconfirmed) and is from a Series 66 machine. As always any additional info is highly appreciated!

PS: Pls don't pay attention to the camou paint job and alpha yet, both are just temproary. That sharkmouth alone took me a whole day of work.

• Upvote 6
616Sqn_Johnny-Red

Just in time for FNBF / SNBF! Here is White 66:

Bloody Marvellous!

I'd looked over the same model reference before when I was researching shark-mouthed LaGG's, and put this one down as a potential future project. I'm really glad someone did it though as now I can enjoy it without the front-loaded headache :lol:

Excellent work mate - this one is difinately going in my collection.

6./ZG26_5tuka

Thx guys :) Don't know what was driving me more crazy, the shark mouth or the camou (there's a lot of texture warping in this template!).

Glad you like it :salute:

Yakdriver

In the beginning i was a bit sceptical...
But The paint came out really nice!

It´s a bit late but i would say the 66 is a bit bigger than the original, and the little green bit on the rudder tip should be a bit bigger.

The Sharkmouth is spot on though.

double thumbs up from me!

6./ZG26_5tuka

It´s a bit late but i would say the 66 is a bit bigger than the original, and the little green bit on the rudder tip should be a bit bigger.

It's never too late to mess with things! :)

About the green bits on the rudder you're right, they're indeed to far shifted up (made them bigger but misalinged them). As for the 66, I have to check this one closer. Judging from the comparison pics I used it can not be bigger by much if any.

Alpha channel is also sth I'll be looking at again (has some ugly spots). For now I'll leave it by thatfor the upcoming events and will correct it in time.

Danziger

Looks like something strange going on with the exhaust pipes too. Badass paint skills though. Now I really know how much of a pain it can be to paint these things so I definitely appreciate the work involved.

• 2 weeks later...
6./ZG26_5tuka

Haven't had time to update this earlier due to other projects getting in my way + recent computer malufunctions. Changes were made to the camouflage (rudder camou is sized correctly now) and colours + I've added some weathering and paint chips here and there it has earned after it's combat debut. For the decals I've tried to replicate the original gloss paint used for VVS signal markings, ie red semigloss and white gloss.

Zx88tND.jpg

uqduaft.jpg

Download [Mediafire]: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ql3my09zh5ni6h3/LaGG3_ser66_White66_by_5tuka.rar

(alternative Links by request)

Hope you enjoy it.

• Upvote 6