Sign in to follow this  
MarcAnton

No bullet-impact feedback ?

Hit sounds are fine to me.  I doubt you would be able to hear much over the wind/slipstream/engine noise anyway.

Try reading more than the last post in the topic, since its obvious you did not.

Your obervations are tired. Your assumptions are wrong.

Glad the sounds work in your game. It does not in others.

• Upvote 1

Try reading more than the last post in the topic, since its obvious you did not.

Your obervations are tired. Your assumptions are wrong.

Glad the sounds work in your game. It does not in others.

Nailed it.

And why, in game, can I hear other aircraft shooting at me (i.e. the sound of their gunfire) but not actual hits on my aircraft? It just doesn't make any sense.

May I join in with another shameless bump?

Got my 109 starboard wing teared off last night, never heard a thing. I had to physically turn my head to get a visual confirmation something had gone a little bad :rolleyes:

Red

Edited by RedGuard

You'll be able to hear some impact sounds, but not all. You won't hear a round hitting your wingtip or your tail. Possibly feel it. But every little impact, no. And it won't sound like you're at a fireworks show either. There shouldn't be audio feedback for every round that impacts your plane, there simply isn't a way for that to happen in the real world. Immediate impacts around/in the cockpit area - yes. Extremity hits, nope. There is no way anyone would hear even 30 .50cals hitting an outboard section of a wing with the engine and wind sound.

The sound engine is also a third party engine, so the devs can't modify it other than the sounds and certain parameters - there is no way for them to change how the sound engine works at the core as it is a different developer than owns/builds it. It is also a very good, robust, and detailed sound engine that powers dozens of AAA titles. RoF has the same sound engine, you can hear the enemy you shot if you are close and on his 6 or passing by the immediate area where the impacts hit but it is less pronounced due to the lower speeds the aircraft fly at. It is due to the nature of the sound engine and where the impact audio is played from. There is also the online factor, by the time you hear any impact sounds it is already too late anyway and that is the biggest thing. Hit sounds online will save you very, very, very rarely. Like 2% of the time. The hit sounds being played come from the same packets indicating hits, and with the ms delay, you are already shot to hell by the time the first audio sound comes out.

Edited by FuriousMeow

There is also the online factor, by the time you hear any impact sounds it is already too late anyway and that is the biggest thing. Hit sounds online will save you very, very, very rarely. Like 2% of the time. The hit sounds being played come from the same packets indicating hits, and with the ms delay, you are already shot to hell by the time the first audio sound comes out.

Barking dogs aren't saving my skin and aren't helping me win any fights either, but we still have those in the game.

We can argue about just how much you'd hear hits ad nauseam, but currently I'm consistently hearing nothing, regardless of where I'm hit.

Barking dogs aren't saving my skin and aren't helping me win any fights either, but we still have those in the game.

We can argue about just how much you'd hear hits ad nauseam, but currently I'm consistently hearing nothing, regardless of where I'm hit.

Yes, and barking dogs aren't a modification of the sound engine at the core - they are just an additional sound that can be played and was added in for atmosphere - like the wind when you ditch and hear blowing across the landscape. You can go back and re-read why the whole sound engine can't be modified but additional sounds can be added, or just think that you won't be shot down when you hear the hits. Again, I'll remind you, it's already too late by the time you hear the hits. The damage is already done, its been a few milliseconds since the damage was inflicted. At best, you can bail out.

And again, it's online where you aren't hearing hits. Or you aren't hearing some hits. Play QMB a bit, you'll hear all the hits and it'll still be too late. Your radiator will have sprung a leak, your engine will be tossing oil, your wing will be holed up, etc. There is probably something there that can be changed for online play so that the audio is played for the damage inflicted as the parts fall away, but it is already too late either way. The damage is done, and so are you. So enjoy the atmosphere sounds, you'll hear them a lot if you are relying on hit sounds being played back to not be shot out of the virtual sky.

I think hit sounds/damage should be audible online, to an extent, but - and I've said it before - it'll come through rapid fire with tons of sounds being played on top of each other due to the latency of the internet connection(s) and the way the data comes in. So you're done either way, hit sounds or no - the damage has already been inflicted and the best you can do is bail or hope there's enough left to go in for a crash landing.

Edited by FuriousMeow

There's a big difference between "being too late, the damage being done" and getting hit but still being able to take evasive maneuvers and make your best escape. If I can't hear the bullets hit me and I take no evasive action it's only a matter of time before I'm either a flaming wreck or have my wing sawed off - very dangerous in ground pounding or low lever dog fighting.

THIS HAPPENS OFF LINE too. It's inconstant. Considering I need to gather points to progress in this campaign and receive unlocks; being able to escape and at least make a crash landing verses being killed means all the difference.

To add insult to injury I rarely get damage feed back like extra drag or loss of lift when my planes wing is Swiss Cheese; so sound hits a very important.

You'll be able to hear some impact sounds, but not all. You won't hear a round hitting your wingtip or your tail. Possibly feel it. But every little impact, no. And it won't sound like you're at a fireworks show either. There shouldn't be audio feedback for every round that impacts your plane, there simply isn't a way for that to happen in the real world. Immediate impacts around/in the cockpit area - yes. Extremity hits, nope. There is no way anyone would hear even 30 .50cals hitting an outboard section of a wing with the engine and wind sound.

The sound engine is also a third party engine, so the devs can't modify it other than the sounds and certain parameters - there is no way for them to change how the sound engine works at the core as it is a different developer than owns/builds it. It is also a very good, robust, and detailed sound engine that powers dozens of AAA titles. RoF has the same sound engine, you can hear the enemy you shot if you are close and on his 6 or passing by the immediate area where the impacts hit but it is less pronounced due to the lower speeds the aircraft fly at. It is due to the nature of the sound engine and where the impact audio is played from. There is also the online factor, by the time you hear any impact sounds it is already too late anyway and that is the biggest thing. Hit sounds online will save you very, very, very rarely. Like 2% of the time. The hit sounds being played come from the same packets indicating hits, and with the ms delay, you are already shot to hell by the time the first audio sound comes out.

I strongly disagree about not being able to hear hits on, i.e. the wingtips.

Even those distant regions of the plane are connected to the cockpit by a very, very good sound conductor: metal framing!!

This metal framing will transmit all sounds and vibrations directly to the pilot or at least close to the pilot.

Upon landing and post flight inspection I have found on a few occasions to have taken some (small calibre ) hits in the wings, and never noticed/heard  them happening, fortunately I have not received cannon hits in flight, however having heard and seen them to A/C on the ground I am fairly certain they would be very audible and felt :) not trying to argue merely relating some personal experience which will always be subjective. I will assume that the impact/vibration of a rifle calibre round though relatively thin soft aluminium will not be felt when compared to vibration of 1500hp engine at operating power when hits are not in immediate vicinity of pilot

Cheers Dakpilot

First thats untrue. Too many interviews with WWII fighter pilots saying the exact opposite.

Also, what makes that argument void is the fact you can hear your bullets hitting another plane, and gunners in bombers shooting. Again this has been said many, many times in this thread. Stop trying to justify  the "lack of sounds" to be realistic, when sounds you should NOT hear are very audible.

Lastly, please show me where the developers said the sound engine cant be modified or fixed for BoS. I am not saying you are wrong, in fact I think the same, which is not good. The game is unplayable for me personally with the way the sound is. *IF* it can never be fixed I would pile it on to another reason for people not to buy this game. An answer from soemone who knows would be nice.

• Upvote 2

First thats untrue. Too many interviews with WWII fighter pilots saying the exact opposite.

A very subjective statement of opinion as a fact

Where are the interviews refuting what was said above?, I have said in my above post instances that I have experienced which support with what is said above..not all hits on wings etc. will be heard, you don't need an interview, I am stating this from personal experience

^^Also, what makes that argument void is the fact you can hear your bullets hitting another plane, and gunners in bombers shooting. Again this has been said many, many times in this thread. Stop trying to justify  the "lack of sounds" to be realistic, when sounds you should NOT hear are very audible.^^

just because there is a fault in the sound engine allowing you to hear other aircraft firing and gunners in bombers shooting just not justify or give credence to non-historic hit sounds, however due to the lack of real impact and vibration feeling in a game I will agree that they should be slightly louder to make up for that virtual shortcoming

Cheers Dakpilot

Edited by Dakpilot

Also, what makes that argument void is the fact you can hear your bullets hitting another plane, and gunners in bombers shooting. Again this has been said many, many times in this thread. Stop trying to justify  the "lack of sounds" to be realistic, when sounds you should NOT hear are very audible.

A very subjective statement of opinion as a fact

Where are the interviews refuting what was said above?, I have said in my above post instances that I have experienced which support with what is said above..not all hits on wings etc. will be heard, you don't need an interview, I am stating this from personal experience

Cheers Dakpilot

Read it again.

Just went through a entire weekend having a blast in MP. But not once did I hear my plane being hit. Have to depend on the headsup display to tell me that I've been hit. Big problem still.

Same here. Both times I was properly shot down I didn't know about it until the technochat warned me of something wrong. Rather annoying.

Yes, and barking dogs aren't a modification of the sound engine at the core - they are just an additional sound that can be played and was added in for atmosphere - like the wind when you ditch and hear blowing across the landscape. You can go back and re-read why the whole sound engine can't be modified but additional sounds can be added, or just think that you won't be shot down when you hear the hits. Again, I'll remind you, it's already too late by the time you hear the hits. The damage is already done, its been a few milliseconds since the damage was inflicted. At best, you can bail out.

And again, it's online where you aren't hearing hits. Or you aren't hearing some hits. Play QMB a bit, you'll hear all the hits and it'll still be too late. Your radiator will have sprung a leak, your engine will be tossing oil, your wing will be holed up, etc. There is probably something there that can be changed for online play so that the audio is played for the damage inflicted as the parts fall away, but it is already too late either way. The damage is done, and so are you. So enjoy the atmosphere sounds, you'll hear them a lot if you are relying on hit sounds being played back to not be shot out of the virtual sky.

I think hit sounds/damage should be audible online, to an extent, but - and I've said it before - it'll come through rapid fire with tons of sounds being played on top of each other due to the latency of the internet connection(s) and the way the data comes in. So you're done either way, hit sounds or no - the damage has already been inflicted and the best you can do is bail or hope there's enough left to go in for a crash landing.

I'm not saying hit sounds should be audible so I can take evasive action. Obviously if I hear a hit sound, the damage is done -- in game or real life.

People are asking for sounds because they simply should be there. I have never mentioned using hit sounds as some sort of situational awareness builder. I'm not sure why you don't think I'm capable of understanding that when I get hit, it's too late. Do you really think that's what's in question here?

The dog barking comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Nothing more.

Copy all regarding the engine limitations. That's fine. Unfortunate, yes, but I don't need continuous explanations in every post.

All I'm saying is that hit sounds SHOULD be more prevalent in game. Consider it a "matter of principle." Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by Prefontaine

Hit sounds are fine to me.  I doubt you would be able to hear much over the wind/slipstream/engine noise anyway.

Can you post a video of the 109 cockpit sounds from flak and also hit sounds so I can see what I am missing? Thanks 

Can you post a video of the 109 cockpit sounds from flak and also hit sounds so I can see what I am missing? Thanks 

;)

Iv flown Cessnas with 200 hp engine and it's loud u would have to shout or use the intercom to communicate, so a 2000+ hp engine I would imagine to be deathening. I have also been shooting many different caliber weapons at metal targets and I must say the impact is not massively loud. I obviously have no been shot at in a plane but from my two seperate experiences I would think u may hear impacts but it would mainly be the force of the impact u would Spence

Iv flown Cessnas with 200 hp engine and it's loud u would have to shout or use the intercom to communicate, so a 2000+ hp engine I would imagine to be deathening. I have also been shooting many different caliber weapons at metal targets and I must say the impact is not massively loud. I obviously have no been shot at in a plane but from my two seperate experiences I would think u may hear impacts but it would mainly be the force of the impact u would Spence

Yeah...no offense but I would rather the point of this post to be about the people that don't hear the sounds we SHOULD be hearing.

This point was discussed many....many....many....many times already.

OK some of the nastiness in this thread is just too much. :angry:

Those 4-5 hits I have suffered were pronounced more distinctly in game than in this video...

Edited by ST_ami7b5
  • Upvote 1

By that bolded statement, a machine gunner in a tail gun of a bomber should not be heard from inside your plane, and your bullets striking another plane should not be heard either, yet both are. This is just a odd as not hearing anything striking your plane, or even a small click sound.

This sound bubble seems to be the issue, especially for people using 7.1 sound. This issue might not be a priority, but it is very big for some people like myself.

Ummm.. I don't quite agree with that.. Have you ever heard a .50 cal or a .30 cal for that matter? I have and they are loud as all get out so being less than 8 feet behind you I have no doubt that it would be heard in the cockpit..  The waist gunners and tail gunners on B-17s could be heard from the cockpit...

Also FWIW I have no issues at all with sound.

Those 4 hits I have suffered were pronounced much more distinctly in game than in this video...

Those are exactly the sounds I get when in stereo, but sadly I can watch the same track (my track) in surround 7.1 and the hits sounds are nowhere to be heard.  Do not wish to use stereo sound, because stereo sound SUCKS!  ;)

Just counted up how many threads I have replied to concerning the lack of hit sounds.  (I have never started a thread about hit sounds)  The number is nine.  I may have also not replied to some so the number could be more.  From the beginning that averages out to almost one "I can not hear hit sounds" thread a month.  The problem is big.  It is long lasting.  It is annoying.  You would think after a year something would be done by now. 

• Upvote 3

I strongly disagree about not being able to hear hits on, i.e. the wingtips.

Even those distant regions of the plane are connected to the cockpit by a very, very good sound conductor: metal framing!!

This metal framing will transmit all sounds and vibrations directly to the pilot or at least close to the pilot.

Strongly disagree, you won't hear it. No way, no how. The exhaust is a direct exhaust. Twelve explosions out of twelve pipes with nothing to deaden the sounds - and that is right in front of the pilot. There is no muffler. The metal framing will not bring in any sound. Maybe some feel if it hits the cockpit, but the vibration from the engine will dull it all out the further away it is. Disagree all you won't, you are wrong. Sit on one side of a metal frame and hit with a hammer. I'll sit on the other side of the frame and hit with hammers at a faster rate. Not gonna transfer that energy inwards from the occasional slower hits - and either way, that still isn't sound - and you will not transfer sound hitting a wingtip traveling at 200mph through metal that has several deadening points before the cockpit.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Those 4-5 hits I have suffered were pronounced more distinctly in game than in this video...

Thanks for taking the time to put up the video.  I am not hearing the hit sounds so it is a bummer for me.  Do you hear FLAK bursts from inside the cockpit?

S~

Do you hear FLAK bursts from inside the cockpit?

For the most part, you shouldn't. Realistically.

Thanks for taking the time to put up the video.  I am not hearing the hit sounds so it is a bummer for me.  Do you hear FLAK bursts from inside the cockpit?

S~

Haven't noticed hearing any FLAK so far.

But as Snake said I was using stereo sound (I have my Trackclip Pro mounted on my phones, so I seldom use my 5.1 speakers setup in BoS), but I will do some testing with 5.1 later on.

Edited by ST_ami7b5

FLAK sounds:

In normal conditions, done the mission and don't paying attention to FLAK is more probable that one hear the dogs barking than the FLAK.  :)

Edited by Sokol1

I've never heard even one hit sound yet in the game . Speaking of sounds , I wish they'd make the engine sounds more realistic and beefier , more bass etc .

Well that sounds great, I wish I was hearing that.

Wow - I have never heard anything close to the video posted by arthursmedley.

Offline I hear faint small thuds. Online, nothing except wings tearing off.

So after hearing arthursmedley's video above, I started messing with my audio settings looking for an improvement.

I currently use headphones (Audio Technica ATH-ADG1), so my audio speaker settings are set to stereo.

I am using the onboard soundcard, which uses realtek drivers. I also have a USB DAC that came with my headphones which when switching to this made no difference to the hit sounds in BOS.

What I did find though was that when I enabled "Headphone Virtualization" in the Realtek HD Audio Manager in control panel, lo and behold - I too now hear those same hit effects posted in the video above (offline).

Problem is, this sound mode has a frustrating poorly sounding echo to it. Like the cockpit is in a stone room. (No additional audio effects are turned on).

So what the "Headphone Virtualization" is apparently doing is remixing the multiple channels into the two stereo ones.

Headphone virtualization is not an option when running the USB DAC.

Edited by Tripwire

If people who are hearing the sounds just like in that video above could post their sound settings (in Windows, driver settings etc.) and their audio hardware, that would be great.

I never heard anything like that. Not even close.

The Bose speakers I'm using are USB connected, not running through a sound card. I have audio set to 5.1 (in other games, I don't think BoS has that setting but these are surround speakers) in BoS I have sound slider set to max quality. I can hear the Impact sounds as shown above.

If people who are hearing the sounds just like in that video above could post their sound settings (in Windows, driver settings etc.) and their audio hardware, that would be great.

I never heard anything like that. Not even close.

I have w7/64, Realtek HD audio 2nd output on stereo (phones - because of mounted TIR clip pro on them)

In game I have sound bitrate set to Medium.

Edited by ST_ami7b5