The Bomber Pilot's Bar

Tried SYN sever last night. I took upper gunner seat of someone's He 111. We flew about 30 minutes and I said, "Are we there yet?"

He replied with "I have no idea where I'm going"  I was like  :crazy:

We need GPS xD

ROFL!

I just can't wait for more mission oriented servers, co-op and the mighty campaign mode!

Very nice thread btw! :cool: 

Good thread Chuck. I myself like to fly bombers a lot but mostly on online wars where there is coordinated play.

I have yet to check out the syndicate server though, seems like a lot of good lads flying there :)

But as long as the FM/DM has flaws like that, we might have other problems:

Relax, Sput. This does look like a glaring error, I don't know the rationale behind it, but it's not like you see this kind of thing much. I lose my wing, even just one measly wing, and I'm toast. Jump in, fly some bombers, have fun.

`Chuck - Hooooooooooooooooooooooooly ...goodness! That must have taken forever to learn, distill, and create. That's the kind of thing we need for every plane. Get on it! :P

Seriously, thank you very much for all that effort. It will help a lot of people, I'm sure. I'm thinking to collect all this kind of content into an 'Aircraft guides' thread (or threads).

Glad to see some of you found it somewhat useful. I understand these guides are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and guesstimates are rampant... But I found the real information and data very hard to find. I couldn't find any original or replica of pilot handbooks and manuals... So what you get is "this", even if it looks amateurish.

Plus... Bombsights and autopilot (which only has 1 mode) are kinda underwhelming. Really wished we had realistic bombsights as this should be a simulator, not a game.

• Upvote 1

Some pictures of the raid on Kamishyn by Hooves, Rambo and myself.

I happened to be recording so there might be a movie about it soon. :)

EmGYXpw.jpg

bjrsNV2.jpg

J0yHRkV.jpg4uWHLjN.jpg

RjRHIAY.jpg

ntwxV73.jpg

EPj3Mt4.jpg

Ew4vjOy.jpg

m6z22tf.jpg

4Ove5Q2.jpg

Edited by 71st_AH_Chuck
  • Upvote 2

@Erholts

Make sure to check out my He-111 guide.

From what I can tell, many factors can come into play. It can be either one of those, or a combination:

1) On takeoff, make sure you do not go full throttle. Try not to exceed 1.1 on takeoff, even if you take a little more runway space to leave the ground. 

2) Make sure your oil radiators are open (they are not mapped the same way on the He-111 than on the other planes. Check guide in the "Aircraft" section)

3) Make sure you don't climb too steeply and do not carry too much fuel. If you are too heavy, this will wear your engines prematurely. If you are too slow or climb too steeply, your engines will not have enough airflow to cool them down.

In other words: check your rads, lower your ATA, don't climb too steeply and keep your speed up.

Edited by 71st_AH_Chuck

What I do on take of is:

1. Trim for takeoff (so you don't have to pull back on the stick)

2. Full throttle

3. After take off I pull back the throttles to about 75%, reduce prop pitch and mixture and open the radiators (water and oil). I usually keep the ATA at around the 7 o'clock position. 

I climb at around 250kmph and cruise at around 300kmph. 

No problems since. 

Hi all. I'm a bomber man for sure: He-111 is my favourite minutes, and I've been getting practice in flying cross country routes using real world navigation on a printed map. Got some ways to go, but it is really fun learning to treat this bird just right. Will incorporate practise using the bomb sight into my flights soon, but still trying to get the hang of a snowy landscape and finding my waypoints. If I were to turn this into a training syllabus, it would look something like this:

1. Aircraft theory; getting familiar with the instruments and systems of the He-111

2. Local airfield practice; taxing, takeoff, turns, landings, touch and go.

3. Theory of navigation; how to plot a grid course, and convert to magnetic.

4. Cross country flights; plot a multiple leg course, convert to magnetic, and fly it. Rinse and practise.

5. Incorporate familiarisation of bombing techniques and using bombsight into cross country flights.

6. Plan a bombing mission; avoid flask concentrations, set up approach course, bomb and return to home airfield safely. Rinse and repeat.

Something like that....

Apoll