FW 190: 2 cannons or 4?

Leaf

...which therefore makes it a field modification.

Ok, I will buy that.  It is an authorized configuration which could be done in the field.

That would be correct.

If you define field modification as amateur modification done without engineering or factory input, then it would be wrong. 

• Upvote 1

The FW-190A5 units could remove the outboard guns IF the GM-1 kit was installed.  Without GM-1, operation of the aircraft with the outboard guns removed was not authorized.

Can you, after so many years of desperately trying to sell this at various forums, finally come up with a source that supports your point of view, or is the A-5 loading plan you keep on mistranslating still the only thing you have to offer?

• Upvote 2

Anw.StG2_Tyke

It is not a "field modification".  It is a specifically authorized load out found in the official weight and balance.

The factory specifically allows FW-190A4 and below to have the outboard guns removed by the unit.

attachicon.gifA3weights CANNON REMOVAL.jpg

The FW-190A5 units could remove the outboard guns IF the GM-1 kit was installed.  Without GM-1, operation of the aircraft with the outboard guns removed was not authorized.

attachicon.gifFW190A5 Loadplan GM-1.jpg

While the system was operationally tested in the FW-190A5, GM-1 was not adopted for general service use in the FW-190A series until the FW-190A8.

You will find factory modifications removing the outboard weapons on many FW-190A series to test various weapon configurations such as the WGr. 21 rockets, GM-1, and engine modifications.

You made an translation error in the Loadplan of the A5.

The + means instead of the MG FF you can build the GM-1 into it. But this is just a if you wan't decision. The Fact the line bevore states: The removal of the weapons is allowed.

So it was allowed to get rid of the outer MG/FF.

Plus if you removed them, you can install the GM-1 if you want.

• Upvote 2

You made an translation error in the Loadplan of the A5..........But this is just a if you wan't decision.

I disagree.  so doesn't every mechanic and pilot I have shown the ladeplan too.

Then those mechanics and pilots have trouble translating that too. It clearly says that you can install GM-1 instead of MGFF. Not possible to understand that any other way if you can read the language.

It also makes perfect sense to carry either GM-1 or MGFF, because carrying both would've been a bit heavy for the high altitude fighter role (which the GM-1 was meant for).

• Upvote 1

The ladeplan for the FW-190A5 simply does not list a fighter variant without wing weapons.

So please find a Type I fighter variant without wing weapons as found in all the FW-190A4 and below ladeplans.

post-1354-0-57489000-1408200956_thumb.jpg

FW-190A5 does not list any authorized load out where the wing weapons are removable except with the installation of the GM-1 kit.

post-1354-0-39083600-1408201555_thumb.jpg

It simply does not exist for the FW-190A5 and above variants.  The conclusion must be it is no longer an authorized configuration.  Any mechanic or pilot would agree.

Next, the FW-190A5 information manual does have a single line stating the wing weight changes with the wing weapons removed.  It does not say anything about their removal being optional nor is a two cannon Type I fighter variant listed. 

post-1354-0-48451600-1408201339_thumb.jpg

This would be a contradiction except for the fact information manuals are not what aircraft are flown by.  Aircraft are operated and loaded in accordance with the serial number specific Operating Instructions and serial number specific weight and balance sheets.  None of the serial number specific documents allow for the removal of the outboard weapons on the FW-190A5 except when the GM-1 kit is installed.

It clearly says that you can install GM-1 instead of MGFF.

Exactly.

It does not say a thing about being able to remove the outboard cannon unless you are installing the GM-1 kit as well.

Without the GM-1 kit, the outboard cannon must remain in the aircraft and it is not an option to remove them.

That is how every pilot and mechanic who has view the ladeplan understood it.

Can you, after so many years of desperately trying to sell this at various forums, finally come up with a source that supports your point of view, or is the A-5 loading plan you keep on mistranslating still the only thing you have to offer?

Desperately trying....really??  Such comments are an attempt at character assassination and skewing a readers point of view without presenting any facts isn't it, JtD

The same sources, the original ladeplan serial numbered to the aircraft are presented.  Follow the instructions.

Anw.StG2_Tyke

Crump, Iam german. I understand german pretty well because Iam a native speaker, and I understand what germans mean when they write something. And in that case, you can trust me when I say you what I did. You don't have to exchange the MG/FF with GM-1. But you can only install GM-1 when you deinstalled the MGFF.

Furthermore, your first Picture shows cleary a Variant without MG/FF.

III. Jägereinsatz mit vergrößerter Reichweite ohne MG FF

Translated:

Fightermission with enhanced range without MG FF.

So stop your crusade against nazi technology and simply accept the facts.

You could get rid of the outer MG FF without installing GM-1 its not a MUST change. For god sake..

• Upvote 1

III. Jägereinsatz mit vergrößerter Reichweite ohne MG FF

That is the FW-190A4 ladeplan.  Read the thread.

The FW-190A4 and below could have the outboard weapons removed by the operational units.  It is an authorized load out for the FW-190A4 and below.

The FW-190A5 and above could not have the outboard weapons removed by the operational units.  It is NOT an authorized load out for the FW-190A5 and above.

Anw.StG2_Tyke

It COULD for god sake!

Read the last Picture you uploaded..

Line Munition MG-FF*) (Außenflügel)

AND at the BOTTOM of the Page

*) Beim Ausbau der MG-FF verringert sich das Fluggewicht um 135 KG

*) When the MG-FF is build out the Weight reduces by 135 kg.

Come on, thats just common sense. You could build them out of the plane it wasn't forbidden. Otherwise this statement wouldn't make any sense. Still you have big problems with understanding german terms and translate them. If it wouldn't be allowed, they wouldn't write that into the manual. They would simply write, it is NOT allowed to uninstall the outer wing guns. But thats never said.

• Upvote 1